Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 430
Total: 430

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: girlfriend  (Read 3907 times)

Offline powerpuff

girlfriend
« on: July 04, 2007, 02:37:11 pm »
so my friend is worried of an exposure. she lives is Canada so they only have the 3rd generation hiv antibody tests. (older version) at 6 weeks antibody and she got a special test called a PCR DNA test at 6 weeks also Negative for Virus.
then backed it up with a 3 month Antibody test.NEGATIVE
She has a condition called Fibromyalgia. will that affect her test results?
she complains of fatigue, swollen glands, loose stools, and sore throat.
should she go back for a six month antibodytest???///? ??? ??? ::)
or wouldnt't her PCR DNA test pick up any virus particle??//??? any science guys out there?? ???
she is pretty worried.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 04:40:43 pm »
Puff,

Your friend is conclusively hiv negative, as a three month test is conclusive. Fibromyalgia will not affect the result. She is negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline powerpuff

girlfriend again
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:02:02 pm »
Thanks Ann, :)

we just had discrepancy's in Canada alot .Canada still has the phase 3 older hiv tests thats why I asked.
Some clinics in Canada wait 6 months some say three. very confusing.
I think the three month tesr they told my friend was like 99%l
6 month test 99.9%
So what do they tell the 1% come back later? thats like 1in 100   or 10 in 1000 :-\ :-[
blah blah blah
Besides wouldnt your body produce enough virus to be detected by a PCR DNA test at 6 weeks?   ??? just wondering? this is a very sensitive test doesn't the virus replicate right away when it enters thus leaving enough Dna footprints. A nurse told my friend it could lay dormant?    :-\ idoubt it cause it enters your body anthen makes copies of itself... right??? ::)
I told her the back up PCR SHould be definite...incase she didn't make enough antibodies at three months. I hope that is right???
AM I RIGHT to say that? she still has funny symptoms, itchy skin, fatigue, swollen lymph glands... :-[
maybe it takes her longer that would  make her be 1%
that would suck eh?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:46:47 pm »
Your friend is HIV negative. Period. End of story. Stop with the speculative what ifs.

And stop starting new threads. I've merged your two most recent ones.
Andy Velez

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:27:37 pm »
I'm sorry i am not very computer friendly.I am just learnnig threads sometimes have dificult time getting in.
I appologize if  I annoyed anyone. :'( :-X

Thank you for your reply. i will forward the info: :)

I am still curious myself about this PCR DNA TEST isn't it a really good/sensitive test even at 6 weeks.I hear nurses use this test after an exposure it checks for virus??//most people would have enough virus to be detected by a test at 6 weeks don't you think???i'm not an expert in this testing?//??? :P :-\

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:49 pm »
Puff,

Your friend has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and she wants to blame her symptoms on hiv? Those are common symptoms of FM and she should be working with a doctor to find ways of alleviating her symptoms.  

And by the way, her nurse friend is wrong. Hiv does not go "dormant". People might be asymptomatic for years, but the virus is constantly replicating and weakening the immune system.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive on an antibody (ELISA) test by six WEEKS - regardless of the generation of test used. A three month test result is conclusive.

The PCR DNA test is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes - the PCR RNA test is. No matter what the result of either of these tests, it still MUST be confirmed with an ELISA and where indicated, a Western Blot. If you want to know more about the tests, read the Welcome thread like you've been asked to and read the Lessons for yourself. 

She is hiv negative. Period.

Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:35:16 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.