Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:41:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching to Norvir LIQUID  (Read 4193 times)

Offline chguy78

Switching to Norvir LIQUID
« on: October 07, 2010, 01:25:33 pm »
I've been on the Norvir tablets for about five months now and the capsules since I began treatment but now I'm switching to the oral sol'n for the final two months of 2010.  I found out that my prescription insurance has a cap on it that I've reached after this last refill.  The crazy thing is that the cap does not apply if the drug is more than $500/month.  The tablets and the capsule are about $250/month each but the liquid is almost $1,500/month - so the cap doesn't apply. 

The crazy logic of US prescription drug programs (or at least mine).  I have to have a more expensive prescription to save me money.  Seems like the Rx program would waive this cap just to save themselves money but I got very little sympathy at the insurance company.  So fuck 'em.

I've heard the liquid tastes like shit but I can put up with it for two months to save almost $500.  Come January, I switch back to tablets.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Switching to Norvir LIQUID
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »
You might want to (mentally) spend the money when you find out exactly how shit the Norvir liquid tastes....

However, it is a really good excuse to snarf 3-4 good chocolates a day to mask the aftertaste.

I agree, the economics of this is crap. People shouldn't have to put up with it.

Good luck

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 01:55:31 pm »
Wow, that's just crazy. I hope you don't find the liquid too intolerable - it would be a shame if you started missing doses because of this. At least you're only taking it at a booster dosage, it could be worse if you were having to take it as a main part of your combo.

Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:11 pm »
eek!
no matter how you try to mask it, ethanol is too much like gas,
and just doesn't seem like it should be called "medicine". LOL

having gone through years when I was taking 8 tablespoons of it a day, I don't think I could go back and take it in liquid form no matter the consequences.

You might want to see what plans, discounts, etc you might be able to receive through an ASO or through the manufacturers themselves to save money so that you don't reach this cap ;)

Good Luck!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline chguy78

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 02:19:09 pm »
However, it is a really good excuse to snarf 3-4 good chocolates a day to mask the aftertaste.

I agree! My doctor told me peanut butter and chocolate milk are good masks...we'll see.

I hope you don't find the liquid too intolerable - it would be a shame if you started missing doses because of this.

It can't be so bad that I miss a dose....it just can't be, right? I have perfect attendance so far and this won't mess me up....I don't think.  At least it doesn't require refrigeration ;-)

having gone through years when I was taking 8 tablespoons of it a day, I don't think I could go back and take it in liquid form no matter the consequences.

Supposedly, I only have to take less than a teaspoon/day since I'm using it as a booster.  I'm using a dropper and shooting it down my throat.

You might want to see what plans, discounts, etc you might be able to receive through an ASO or through the manufacturers themselves to save money so that you don't reach this cap ;)

There actually are some plans but my doctor has to order the Norvir and I have to pick it up at their office - I'm on the road so much that I pick up my medicine usually in a state that's different than my residence.  It won't work.

Thanks for the well wishes.  This won't start until November.....

01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 03:07:49 pm »
Supposedly, I only have to take less than a teaspoon/day since I'm using it as a booster.  I'm using a dropper and shooting it down my throat.

Good plan! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.