Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:36:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 637
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood contact on clothes  (Read 7490 times)

Offline puffy4

Blood contact on clothes
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:48 pm »
HI,
I somehow noticed a spot of dry blood on the bottom of my jeans, since they were scraping the floor. When I took them off, I may have touched the blood, then without thinking I took a shower and touched my penis. Could I have been exposed to HIV this way?
Are you aware of anyone who became positive after being exposed to dry blood on an environmental suface?
For some reason I a freaking out about this.
 I thank you

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Blood contact on clothes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:52:31 am »
Absolutely no risk what so ever..please read the Welcome Thread and follow the lessons on how HIV is transmitted.

No-one in the history of HIV has ever become infected by dry blood that has settled on the surface of anything...so you can stop worrying you were never at risk.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline puffy4

scraped by a branch, any risk?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:25:12 pm »

First, thanks for the great info on this site. Recently I was walking on a sidewalk, and scraped the top of my head/scalp by an overlying branch. When I got home I didn't see blood, but noticed I had a pimple that when I touched it with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol had a little blood. I assumed it was my blood, but it had me thinking, and my imagination went wild.
I have read the intro, and tutorial on this site, and the CDC. However I would like your expert opinion, so I can move on.
1) If someone who was HIV positive had scraped his head on the same branch an hour earlier, would it pose a risk? If the blood somehow touched the pimple on my scalp.
2)Has anyone heard of transmission this way. (By reading your intro, and threads I assume NO)
I know this situation sounds weird, but It did happen.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: scraped by a branch, any risk?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:26:58 pm »
Puffy

Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline puffy4

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:28:27 pm »
First, thanks for the great info on this site. Recently I was walking on a sidewalk, and scraped the top of my head/scalp by an overlying branch. When I got home I didn't see blood, but noticed I had a pimple that when I touched it with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol had a little blood. I assumed it was my blood, but it had me thinking, and my imagination went wild.
I have read the intro, and tutorial on this site, and the CDC. However I would like your expert opinion, so I can move on.
1) If someone who was HIV positive had scraped his head on the same branch an hour earlier, would it pose a risk? If the blood somehow touched the pimple on my scalp.
2)Has anyone heard of transmission this way. (By reading your intro, and threads I assume NO)
I know this situation sounds weird, but It did happen.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 03:35:28 pm »
This scenario isn't weird it's just plain silly.

There is absolutely no risk of HIV being transmitted in the way that you describe. You say you've read our Welcome Thread and Lessons Section but I'd ask you to read them again.

MtD

Offline puffy4

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 03:40:55 pm »
I guess it sounds silly, but it has caused concern. Should I not think about this incident again? a branch scraped my head, and I saw blood, so I panicked.

Offline puffy4

Re: scraped by a branch, any risk?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 03:42:32 pm »
Im sorry, I posted this as a separate question.
I am a newbie.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 03:45:06 pm »
What did I just say to you?

There is absolutely no risk of HIV being transmitted in the way that you describe.

Oh yeah, that's what I said. Maybe I should make this simpler:

YOU DON'T HAVE HIV.

Another reason to read our Welcome Thread is so that you will know our Posting Guidelines, which state:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline puffy4

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:50:05 pm »
you got it,
I just wanted to know from the experts on the forum if I can move on, and thats it

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:26 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your comments in this same thread.

HIV is transmitted in a number of very limited ways. You need to read our lesson on transmission. Nothing you have been worrying about has put you at risk for HIV.

But this epidemic is going to be around for a longtime to come. It's essential you know what the real risks are and what you need to do to protect yourself. Please read that lesson.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline puffy4

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:44:09 pm »
Andy,
thanks for yor reply,
If I could ask you 2 more questions please,
Has there ever been a reported case of HIV transmission from ingesting blood mixed with food. For example if someone cuts their finger prepaing a salad, and then you eat it? Also does blood on food that is refridgeratorlose infectivity the same way it would at room temperature?
Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 03:23:38 pm »
There has NEVER been a confirmed case of transmission in either of the ways you have proposed. HIV is not transmitted in that manner. It's a fragile virus and would not survive in a viable form in either of those situations. Or similar ones. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline puffy4

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:28 pm »
Andy,

I was on a plane and bit my lip, there was a small amount of blood. Without thinking I went to the bathroom, and rinsed with the water from the sink. The bathroom was dirty as hell, I don't know what I was thinking. Is there any risk from this dirty water on my inner lip wound?Also,
in the bathroom, the airvent was shooting that firty airplane air directly onto the wound. Am I being paranoid - is there truly no risk from this incident? I know HIV is not airborne, but on a plane??
should I be tested for HIV, I was negative 3 months ago.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:11 pm »
This is just plain silly, first of all you thought you could get HIV from:

1..Found dried blood on your jeans

2..Because you scraped your head on a branch

3..Blood in salad..and now, probably the silliest of all..Water and airplane air..and don't tell me you have read the  Welcome Thread because I don't believe you..but I do suggest that you read it NOW.

If you have OCD or an un-natural fear of HIV then you need to see a therapist, we can't help you here....I'm giving you with a warning, next time you will be put on a TO...it's time to educate yourself regarding HIV and how it's transmitted.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.