Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:41:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 194
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ricky Wilson  (Read 18888 times)

Offline draco

• I'm a real Monet... or is it Magritte?
Ricky Wilson
« on: May 04, 2008, 05:43:16 pm »
Ricky Wilson died 10 days before Rock Hudson but didn't get the same coverage.  Ricky was the first public person whose death truly affected me.

Ricky Helton Wilson (March 19, 1953 – October 12, 1985) was in the original B-52's, which he helped form in 1976 with his sister Cindy, Kate Pierson, Keith Strickland, and Fred Schneider.   The group members became friends in Athens, Georgia, and the band was begun as a joke for entertaining themselves and other friends.   Soon they were playing at CBGB, uber-hip NY club, and on the road to success.

Their debut album, The B-52's, contained "Rock Lobster" and "52 Girls", along with six more originals and a remake of Petula Clark's classic "Downtown". It eventually went platinum.  They released several more alums but Ricky's last was Bouncing Off the Satellites in 1985.  I still feel a bit sad whenever I hear "Summer of Love," one of the songs on the album. 

Ricky died at age 32 of what was originally reported as cancer but was later revealed to be AIDS-related illness.  The band went into immediate seclusion and one of the only acts they performed was recording a TV PSA to publicize HIV/AIDS.  After a 3 year hiatus they resumed touring and recording.  The album "Cosmic Thing" was released in 1989 and brought the band commercial success with songs like "Love Shack" and "Roam." 

I met the B-52's at a post-concert party in late 1984 but Ricky wasn't there.  By then he was noticeably ill and making it through a concert was hard enough on him.  Cindy was a Southern charmer but clearly sad and trying to put on a happy public face.   

Ricky is sitting on the floor.

I just bought the new B-52's CD Funplex and it's a rollicking good time. 

Drac
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 11:38:16 am by iana5252 »

Offline weasel

Re: Ricky Wilson
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:17:50 am »
hey drac,

what a nice storey !

I know  rickey is in rock lobster heaven , he brought JOY to millions of us DISCO era boys and goyls !

I'll have to look for the album .

karl , no Disco's in Silva
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.