Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:26:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 283
Total: 284

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Love and AIDS  (Read 6061 times)

Offline darkhome

Love and AIDS
« on: June 20, 2006, 03:33:33 pm »
I came across something on the internet about how a flu shot can affect an hiv test and that you should wait
a little while after getting a flu shot to get an hiv test (i'm not sure whether it can make a false positive or false negative) Then I came across this website where people can ask a doctor questions and the doctor said
that bottom line is that flu shots and all other vaccinations don't affect hiv antibody test results so therefore
there is no reason to wait at all after a flu shot to get tested..which makes more sense to me because i'm sure hiv antibodies will still be present to be detected whether u have a flu shot in you or not..so I really don't get why any website would say you have to wait after getting a flu shot..i hate the internet sometimes lol..it's like a bipolar mechanism..it will tell u one thing one day and tell u something else the next..but this site seems legit so i figured i'll ask here to make sure..thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: flu shots
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:50 pm »
I came across something on the internet about how a flu shot can affect an hiv test and that you should wait
a little while after getting a flu shot to get an hiv test (i'm not sure whether it can make a false positive or false negative) Then I came across this website where people can ask a doctor questions and the doctor said
that bottom line is that flu shots and all other vaccinations don't affect hiv antibody test results so therefore
there is no reason to wait at all after a flu shot to get tested..which makes more sense to me because i'm sure hiv antibodies will still be present to be detected whether u have a flu shot in you or not..so I really don't get why any website would say you have to wait after getting a flu shot..i hate the internet sometimes lol..it's like a bipolar mechanism..it will tell u one thing one day and tell u something else the next..but this site seems legit so i figured i'll ask here to make sure..thanks.

Dark,

Receiving an influenza vaccination will have no effect on the accuracy of an HIV anti-body test. It will not cause a false positives or negatives. Review our fantabulous Welcome Thread to learn more about HIV tesiting works and the modes of transmission for HIV/AIDS.

MtD
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:15:07 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline darkhome

Re: flu shots
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:42:31 pm »
yeah i already found 2 websites that said the same thing you did..people should be ashamed of themselves putting false information on the net and causing people to wonder like that..thanks by the way

Offline darkhome

Love and AIDS
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:15:54 pm »
I feel like I met my reason for living, and her name is Sara. I care for her very very deeply and now I'm faced with a dilemma. A long time ago, I made the mistake of sleeping with someone without a condom. I only did this because I thought she was "the one" and she swore she was a virgin. It was only later on, that she revealed her true colors, amongst one of the things she said to me was that I better get tested, but upon finding out how much this frightened me she only laughed and said she was messing with me (nice person huh?) I have been paranoid about this ever since. The fear of finding out that my life will end sooner than I thought and also losing the one I love seems to much for me to bear. I can't conceive how she would want to stay with me if I did have it, but I feel that I have to talk to her about my fears no matter how much I want to keep it as perfect as it seems to be, I feel this is the right thing to do. Everyday it seems like, I get on Yahoo.com and theres some news article about some scientists finding out proteins in the genatalia that kill hiv, and finding out weak spots in hiv, ect ect. This gives me hope. I also recently heard someone say "aids is the new diabetes." maybe thats a little too hopeful? I feel like I'm out of touch of whats going on in aids reserach and I want to know what the prognosis is for someone these days. I would be upset if I had it, but I would be even MORE upset if i passed it on to someone I cared about. I feel like I could come to terms that my life will end, I made my mistake and I guess I should pay for it, but I want to have love in whatever life I may still have, so I'm hoping theres a way to at least not transmit hiv to other people, I want to protect her from all harm, if I have it and i'm dying of it, then fine, so be it, but I don't want to pass it on to her. Is it naive to think that if I get tested, I can live for a period of time to a point where they will find a cure, and also at the same time there will be a way to prevent it from spreading to others? any replies would be appreciated.thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Love and AIDS
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:19:43 pm »
dark,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

Also, you posted this new thread in the Research forum. You also posted a thread in the Treatment forum last December. Do NOT post in the other forums. If I catch you posting in the forums meant for positive people again, you just might get banned.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

For a start, quit feeling sorry for yourself and go get tested. Even if this woman IS positive, it is no guarantee that you became infected from your one incident of unprotected intercourse with her.

Your feelings about your current girlfriend leaving you if you do test positive - and that is VERY BIG if - says more about your own prejudice towards people living with hiv than anything. And that's another thing. Notice I said LIVING with hiv, not dying. You seem to think you're going to suddenly drop dead if you're positive. It doesn't work like that. Hiv is NOT a death sentence. And by the way, hiv isn't a pay back for having unprotected intercourse. It's a virus, not a punishment.

Once again, quit feeling sorry for yourself and go get tested. A test at three months or more past your last incidence of unprotected intercourse will be conclusive. Your chance of testing negative is excellent. You've been thinking about testing since at least June of last year. Go get it done already and get on with your life.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:42:50 am »
Next time you post can you break up your post a bit, its makes for easier reading and is less likely to get ignored.

As Ann suggested, get a test and put this to rest behind you. There's every reason to think you'll come out this OK but you did experience a slight risk. While you're at it, get a full STD panel done but keep wearing condoms until both you and your partner have tested at least 3 months into the relationship and have agreed to keep using condoms if either of you plan to go outside the relationship.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:44:28 am by 411 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 06:46:03 pm »
Dark, re-enter your most recent entry here. Ann has already told you to keep everything in the same thread. All you have to do is hit "reply" and you can enter a new question or comment. I've deleted your latest new thread.

Andy Velez

Offline darkhome

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:04:10 pm »
Are there any new drugs or drugs out now that pretty much keep your viral load down? Doesn't HIV have the same basic foundation no matter how it mutates so is it possible a medication can keep it at bay no matter what its form? thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 05:49:02 pm »
dark,

You're putting the cart before the horse. There is no point discussing what the meds can or cannot do until you've actually tested positive. Have you tested yet, or are you still busy feeling sorry for yourself? You are very unlikely to have been infected from one unprotected encounter. Get tested and get it over with.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline darkhome

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:07:14 pm »
What are the odds of a false-negative result? I heard that immunosuppressive diseases or hormonal immunal defects can cause a false-negative. How can one be certain that they don't have a previous disease that stops the production hiv antibodies that would be picked up by the test, therefore producing a false-negative?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 12:40:02 pm »
If you've taken your test at the correct time. There are no false negatives.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:42:07 pm »
Exactly what Rod said.   You would know if you were immunosuppressed or just had an organ transplant.  Let it go.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.