Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:32:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are there any forums for co inffected people, HIV/HCV?  (Read 17762 times)

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
Are there any forums for co inffected people, HIV/HCV?
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:03:02 pm »
Hi:
Looking to talk with people who are undergoing treatment for hiv and hcv.  I know there are lots of coinfection cases out there but it is hard to locate anything about them here.  I am new to the forum so am rather lost but enjoy what I find people sharing here. 
Ron
I guess u can respond too this topic or email me....make a choice!  Thanks.
rbg115@charter.net
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Are there any forums for co inffected people, HIV/HCV?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:29:46 am »
Hey Ron,

While there isn't a specific forum for co-infected folk, we have members who are and who often share information, etc.

Our Ann is a font of knowledge about this. I will urge her to contact you.

Hang in there and welcome to the forums.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
Thanks for the long time it took me to respond but I heard from Ann and I appreciate your assistance.
Thanks a lot!
Best to you....

Ron
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:03:27 pm »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 07:52:39 am »
Ron,

I suggested on at least two occasions that a forum be set-up here, for those dealing with HIV/HCV coinfection, but never heard or read any response to that .

By the way....Welcome Ron

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:22 am »
We had a coinfection forum a few years back, but it was like a ghost town with nobody posting, so it was pulled. If we find we have the demand, that decision might be revisited. Until then, people are welcome to start coinfection threads in Living.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline courage757

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:57 pm »
I am a woman who is co-infected with HIV/HCV.  Welcome to the forum. 
Feel free to ask your questions.  I contracted both diseases from blood transfusion.  We are here to help each other out.

courage

Offline ubotts

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 01:23:11 pm »
I am also co-infected, and sure could use some answers here.

Hey Ann,
Maybe its time to reopen the co-infected group again,,Seems to me we have quite a few of us who need to know things...........

When you have the time, please think of us all...thank you..LIz
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:04:29 am »
Newbie to the forum  - reply post.

Hi

Co-infected HIV/HepC Geno 4 and 10 weeks into weekly peg-interferon injections and weight-dosed oral ribavirin twice a day.  Zero hepc viral load  after 4 weeks..zero at 8 weeks so the biggy is coming up at 12 weeks.  Some fatigue and skin rash but nothing major. Antidepressants and nonsteroidal noninflammatory Naxproxen in use.  Sustiva and Truvada in use and giving <50 HIV viral load and 300-350 CD4 + 30% CD4 percentage.

Ask away if you have specific questions.

London.
Co-infected HIV/HepC Geno 4. HIV HAART = Truvada/Sustiva, <50 VL, CD4 350-450, 30%.  Vast HCV V before starting Peg Interferon/Ribavarin Nov 2007 - zero VL after weeks.

Offline courage757

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 03:08:15 am »
Welcome to the forum,

How are you doing with the injections?  How high was your hcv load when you started?  I tried the peg-interferon.  My HCV viral load at the time was 5 million.  I stopped because of the side effects.  I then tried infergen for over a year.  My hair thinned out, lost weight.  Atripla is the latest HIV medication I now take.  I was really doing good as far as the hcv load.  It went from 5 mm to around 4,000.  I couldn't take the side effects.  I was working at the time.  My husband didn't even know how I felt or my doctors.  I was so determined to become undetectable, but I had a breakdown and had to stop.  My T count at the time was 265 non-detectable.

Are you working?  I had to stop work when I had the breakdown on Infergen.  Currently I am not taking anything for my HCV.

Courage

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 04:25:45 am »
Nice to see some responses to my original inquiry.  Thanks for all the private emails also.  I have been on Pegasys/Ribavirin combo 4 times for a total of 4 years, over a 6 year period.  Determined here or crazy or both!  I got a remission each time after 6-12 weeks and kept it even after going off the meds, the longest it lasted was 3 months post treatment.  Discouraged I would gain weight back, feel great again and hit it hard once again.  Well I finally stopped as my viral load has stayed at an acceptable level to me, below 1 million.  I had a liver biopsy on diagnoses 11 years ago and then just had one 6 months ago.  The thing that surprised all the docs was that there was no further fibrosis in my liver and actually a great deal of healing had occurred from the "rest" my liver was given while on treatment.  The liver is the only organ than can regenerate itself and while the virus was slowed down or stopped for a year at a time for 4 years it allowed great healing.  I am now better off than when I started.  So my doc and I have decided to put me on 1/2 dose Pegasys, 9-0mcg/week, no Ribavirin and stay on for 3 months and then go off for 3 months.  I will continue this cycling until they come out with an oral protease inhibitor specifically for HCV which is in research and development now but not open to study yet.  I figure I have the luxury of timenow so I can play with my own protocol and rest the liver and feel the side effects for 3 months then feel great for 3 months.  Amazing thing is when I took my first 1/2 dose without Ribavirin it kicked me in the ass and I felt like I had been hit by a train.  They think I have become sensitive to the Pegasys as I have spent so much time on it that now it I really feel it.  So I use a Fentanyl patch for body pain and use meds for nausea and I feel good, of course the antidepressant continues on, Lexapro, and works well for me.  Usually I get seasonal affective disorder and this year I haven't because the major side effect, body aches and depression, are controlled with the meds.  I am fortunate to have a great doc and she is very open to new approaches.  Also I have a background in medicine, worked as an ICU nurse for 15 years and do a lot of research, at least 2 hours a week on following the studies out there and the drug companies working on the new drugs for HCV.  Also good insurance and living alone helps me a lot, I can't make anyone crazy with my offbeat sleep routines and tend to complain less when there is no one around.  When I do get together with friends or family my viruses are so far in the back of my mind I am just the person that I am, the one I like without thinking about medications and research and fighting to stay alive.  It is just day by day and keeping a full schedule, also I enjoy the distraction of art projects, reading and watching foreign films. 
Thanks for the support forum and many others have given me also, reaching out and responding to others is a great thing to do for me and helps me a great deal.  My best to all of you, keep fighting!
Ron

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 01:46:56 am »
Interesting update Ron.  Has the recovery of your liver been recorded in terms of fibrosis/scarring markers?  I've also discussed here with my glorious Dr the option of low dose interferon as a maintenance option, should the combination therapy fail or become unsustainable. I especially like he option of a HCV resting period - allowing some recovery/repair, and a rest from elevated ALT/AST numbers.

At 8 weeks my ALTs/ASTs have normalised, after years of elevated numbers - in part elevated from the HIV Meds but undoudedly through active HCV damage.  Kidney, blood sugar and cholesterol are all ok too.  As expected my CD4 has dropped - 310 - but % gas shot up to 39%, it's highest in 7+ years. I wont be alarmed f the D4 drops more Interested to hear any comments about CD4 impact from felloe co-infected.

To answer Courage's questions.  The injections have no adverse side effects in themselves.  I'm not squeamish and i just jab it in every Friday - I pick sites close to the liver but thats just an emotional decision! No site soreness or similar. I ijected slowly and at an angle of 45 degress.

Itchy skin has become an issue, around inside of elbow joints and lower legs to a lesser degree.

Yes I work - contract manager - so my work is not physically taxing and so far my concentration levels are unaffeced.  I know it's early days yet. I do get  tired some days after work, and all I do is head home and hit the sofa Other days are normal and i go to the gym/do chores.

My initial viral load was 6m+ and no abnormal signs from an ultrasound six months ago.  Fibroscan showed 2.9 i think - that was a while ago and i havent stayed close to it as a diagnostic tool.  A biopsy 3 months ago showed scarring/cirrhosis so that was the trigger to treat.

I'm also clinging to the PI developments as a fall back plan. The focus on HIV has eased in my mind and I now wonder when the same level of expenditure/publicity will fall on HCV a it has on HIV.  A few UK celebs have "come out" last year and in my case it's like having a new version of HIV - disclosure is akin to becoming HIV +ve 10, 12 years ago in the UK.  The ifection rates in the US seem higher in the US, but maybe thats through better monitoring.  There are approx 500K+ HCV carriers in the UK, vs 80k HIV +ve people.

The UK HIV clinics now screen all HIV +ve people upon first contact and annually afterwards so the undiagnosed majority of co-infected is coming down, slowly.

I have abnormality, I double doesed peg interferon for the first 4 weeks - crudely put as a "hit hard first".  It's not a recognised technique here yet but I think it also gives hope in that we're still learning about body weight issues, frequency and qty of interferon/ribavirin.

From chilly London, UK.
Co-infected HIV/HepC Geno 4. HIV HAART = Truvada/Sustiva, <50 VL, CD4 350-450, 30%.  Vast HCV V before starting Peg Interferon/Ribavarin Nov 2007 - zero VL after weeks.

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
Response lost?
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »
I just sent you a long email and I am not sure that it went through, let me know if you did not receice it.
Thanks, Ron ;)

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »
No it didn't come through.

BTW, Apologies for my crap typing - I just upgraded to a lovely Mac, and my fat fingers haven't mastered the keyboard yet. I will proof-read more..

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 02:37:27 pm »
I have hears so many positive comments on the new Mac's and how problem free they are compared to PC's but have not changed yet.  I just bought a new laptop with Window's Vista against everyones advice and I personally like the new operating system.  It is more of an aesthetic improvement if anything but also because they are adding so much RAM to the operating systems the speed is great compared to the older systems.  They tend to be a lot less costly than the Mac's laptops too. 
They have scored my fibroses but I understand there are 2 different scales and the one now that they are using is different than the scale they used 10 years ago when I had my original biopsy.  Anyway, my hep doctor told me that basically the scale translates to the same degree of scarring that I originally I had which was moderate.  No cirrhosis, thank God, the interferon really helped hold back the scarring and allow for regeneration of healthy tissue the 4 years I was on it.  I just figured after going through another 12 months of combo therapy which I had severe side effects, the worse was depression and muscle and joint pain, I will try the low does intermittent therapy and see if that keeps the viral load down.  My HIV load has been undetectable for 5 years and it is really in the background of my mind now although I keep close tabs on it.  It is the liver that concerns me.  My viral load is less than 500,000 which is good for me as I have been over 3 million in the past.  But my ultrasound and biopsy shows only mild fibrosis so if I can keep it at bay until there is a PI out there I would be quite content.  Until then I am taking a break until the fall.  This is the first winter in 4 years that I haven't had SAD and it is wonderful to not be held back by the feelings of illness. 
You sound very well informed in the medical field, do you work in medicine?  I worked as a nurse for 20 years and that gave me an edge on the research and making the right connections when I was first diagnosed with HIV in 1987 and 11 years ago with HCV.  Unfortunately I have genotype 1a which is the most resistant one to treatment but I can't complain.  I have basically lost 8 close friends of HIV and HIV/HCV over the past 10 years and that was difficult to go through.  But I no longer question why I am the survivor as I was always the most proactive one in treatment and when they started to get sick they turned to drugs and made a rapid decline.  I got sober 8 years ago and that was another saving grace for me.
I appreciate your response, Good luck with your treatment and keep me posted.  My favorite muscle on a man is his biceps, I like your name and your avatar! 
My best....
Ron

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »

There was also this article put up on February 4th,( In the news section) dealing with Sexual reinfection witth HCV :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_hcv_reinfection_1667_13950.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 08:13:34 pm »
Thanks for the response:
Believe it or not when I turned 48 I became celebate after losting 5 partners to the virus and the 6th one to drama.  I went to therapy and made the decision to take time off from sexual activity and found to my surprise that I was very happy being on my own and having my family, friends and myself to keep myself happy.  It is bizarre too because I am on high dose testosterone and at first I was very horny but then I realized after liiving 11 years in ft. lauderdale and 4 years in ptown, then3 years in NYC that I was addicted to sex and using it to fulfill my insecurities.  I would be open to someone if  the right person came along and there was great chemistry but I a now 50 and very happy.  Never thought that would happen so that chance of getting another reinfection if I do gain remission is impossible.  You never know what life brings to you.  I do miss this passion but but the compromisess  and conflicts.  I did read the articicle and I thank  you for bring it to my attention.
Thsnkd, you nrbrt knoe things might changeQ
My best to you, Ron

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 05:18:12 pm »
Just about to hear if my 3 month is still zero on the hepC viral load. CD4 400 and % 39%, but blood fats have shot up, which is a mild surprise but hey ho.

No medical background, i just read lots and always, but always go to see my HIV Dr, and more lately my HepC/HIV Dr (Mark Nelson) with some informed questions/issues, to make sure I keep up.  He's a well know HIV/HepC specialist and fantastic.  Too many roll over and dont stay informed or participate in their treatment.  "Own your treatment" is the best advice I ever read.  OK, it's more informed consent than ownership, but it pays off in the interaction with the medical guys.

I expect you know Ron that  testosterone will normalise as your body reduces it's own production when you take artificial shots - so the horniness passes from from a peak off excess levels.  Not tried myself but low libido through anti depressants has become a minor issue.  I have a partner who is a rock of strength, and we work through it.

Yes bicepguy has been online persona for many years, sadly they are depleted as i rest from gym  My boyfriend wants them back too!

I came out late and dont know anyone personally ho has died from HIV or HepC, though many freinds are mono nd quite a few dual infected.

Disclosure here in the UK has become the new HIV - with the stigma and ignorance that HIV disclosure had ten years ago.

London.

Offline riverlassie

• Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »
For a long time I have been trying to get in touch with co-infected folks. I even tried starting a web page but seems like there was such a stigma or something about be in such a status. I just couldn't understand. So to finnaly see something here and to see some actual  activity hip hip hooray!  It is really just a completed matter to get sucessful treatment results, depending on the strain that you have,  My hubby only had to go on interferon for 6 months and he's totally clear of the hep. But he's also a long term survivor . How I ended up with 1A is beyond me. And I am on my second round of pegintron.  But I got to tell you something that is amazing different this time.  I tried to get back on tx 5 months ago . Had to see the top docs at the universities due to viral load was at 11,000,000. And not only did I not feel comfortable about their tx of a shot EVERYDAY for 18 MONTHS but they never followed up on the paperwork so I couldn't start tx. Well I'm a firm believer that God opens and closes certain doors for reasons I don't need to know but this was one of them.  Well to make a long story short by the time I found a c0-infection Dr. but some MIRACLE ( and yes my drs believe so too) my viral load dropped down to 4,050 ! With no treatment other than for my aids. So now I can go back on the original regiment of pegintron 1xweekly and they way I see it is like this , though I have to go on tx for 18 months i see my numbers as my treatment is almost done before it even began.Oh by the way I've been living  pos for 20 years . And living is the key word. I look forward to meeting you all and to share what every encouragement and hope  that has been given to me by Gods grace. Till next time take care and stay well..............Riverlassie
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 04:21:38 pm »
I went on pegaysy/ribavirin approximately 1 year ago but it didn't work for me. My HCV baseline viral load was around 800,000 and after 4 weeks (or was it 6?) it went to 200,000, but it stalled there. The side effects were ferocious - rash and itching, aggravated neuropathy, emotional and cognitive impairment, etc.  My docs took me off the meds after I threatened to vote for the next Republican presidential candidate, which they viewed as a symptom of the cognitive impairment. My HCV is Type 4, and after 28-29 years of coinfection the biopsy was stage 2-3. As of this writing the only HIV/HCV related symptoms I've had are dry skin and strange cravings to watch late night re-runs of the "The Big Valley"  and "Bonanza". 

Your name here  X_______________

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 01:03:39 am »
I knew here had to a reason bush-cheyney got so many votes:  itīs co-infection altering rational behaviour!

Past the fourth month marker with zero hepC Geno4 viral load. Not doing 4th month bloods, so next set will be just after 5th month.

The itching and fatigue continue - itching especially around elbows.  Some days after work i just have to sleep, others are fine and i do chores-continue with plumbing my ensuite shower room.  Yesterday I was so grumpy and tired, on holiday, i went to bed at 5pm for 2 hours. My boyfriend is being very supportive.

Blood fats have gone up since last bloods, but everything else remains OK. I have also ditched the anti depressants for now but have them ready just in case..

Re the failed scenario at 200K v\l, the more I read a rapid fall to zero within 4 weeks is a good marker for svr, above and beyond the 2'log drop that has been proposed for years.  In fact I have never see anyone document 2 log drops in v\l.  Itīs either a partial response indicating treatment has failed by third moth, or a rapid drop to zero well before third month.  Observations welcome on my observation.

As fifth month looms, thats nearly 1\2 way through for me. For anyone thinking of starting, Iīd now say dont delay to get over some holiday period\work schedule etc, just jump right in.

London.

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 03:00:31 pm »
Update in case anyone is reading: Gone five months treatment - HCV remains zero and back on mild anti depressants. The itching has stopped! Fatigue comes and goes but it more than OK. Red blood count down but OK  And no on atripa (three HIv drugs in one pill, taken once a day) - one less bloody pill to take.

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 08:38:16 pm »
Good to hear that you are doing well. I may be taking another shot at the Ribavirin/Pegylated Interferon cocktail after the summer, with Vertex added as a third drug. I'm sure it won't be pretty, but we'll see.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:13 pm »
Good luck with that. Not familiar with that one though as an additional drug.  Its disappointing that we continue to wait for maintenance therapy for HCV to come out of research stages.

Just  past 7 months on combination hcv treatment now and have even gone back to the gym, though most days I'm too tired after work (office) but that could be middle age too ;-)

CD4 hovering around 280-350 and it was expected to fall with the peg interferon and ribavirin.  % of CD4 has increased to 40% from 30%, which is the highest its ever been and no more neutropina or other nasties so far.  The percentage has become my best friend as my CD4s faff about. Toxicity and adverse recations that prompt treatment ending early seem to occur relatively early on in the treatment cycle.

Sent a private message if anyone has specific questions.

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 02:41:05 am »
Five weeks to go before treatment ends.
If I rebound then it will be within a month or so; full clearance wont be known until May 2009..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.