Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery still not in the cards  (Read 6409 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Surgery still not in the cards
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:39:28 pm »
I recently met a woman who has the same lipohypertrophic deposits I do.

She still has the same neck issues I do, but she had her hump surgically removed. The difference between us is she had to have hers cut off.

Her hump had grown so large it was affecting her breathing and starting to cause spinal problems.

Mine, on the other hand, is not as large as hers became. So, while it is unsightly and makes finding shirts that fit nearly impossible, its removal isn't considered medically necessary by my insurance company.

I hadn't seen the deposition of adipose tissue in many others, so meeting this woman was rather like meeting a kindred spirit.

We laughed about our necks, especially when I showed her my impression of Jabba the Hut.

I couldn't tell if she has the same lumps behind her ears that I do.

We both have a Crix belly. Mine had seemed to diminish. I think my wicked snacking during the holidays allowed it to grow again.

Guess its back to healthy eating again.

I noticed there were a bunch of people worried about lipoatrophy, but not one was concerned with lipohypertrophy.

Just thought I would even the score a bit.

HUGS,

Mark

(Who is living with both)
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline surf18

Re: Surgery still not in the cards
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:25 pm »
Mark
How long have you had these lipo's? And what fo you feel caused them?
Thsnks

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »
Hey Surf,

I became aware of the hump in 2007. It had probably been growing without my noticing it for a little while. The neck and lumps on the back of my neck/head, came a bit later.

The belly could have been happening for a while, but didn't become noticeable until 2007 or so.

I was very thin, 5'11" and 153 pounds. I also smoked two packs a day.

I quit smoking in 2006 and gained 30 pounds in a year. That is when the deposits seemed to appear.

I developed this because I had taken Crixivan for 11 years. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is a PI that came out in 1996. It was a godsend because I could drop the first PI I took, Saquinavir, which was not efficacious.

Problem with Crix was it had to be taken three times a day on an empty stomach. That meant not eating two hours prior or an hour after taking it. So, for nine hours a day, I couldn't have any food. That is why I was thin, I think.

It is believed that taking Crixivan long term caused damage to the mitochondria in my cells, which lead to the lipohypertrophy.

I also took AZT and Epivir for a long time, 12 years, so they could have contributed to the lipoatrophy I have experienced.

I am not complaining, really. My cocktail saved my life. But, I would like to get rid of the hump.

IHUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:16:57 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:56:13 am »
Hi Mark,

My partner has the same fat deposits: under the neck, hump, fat pads on his back and crux belly. He is very unhappy with it and was talking today about how much he hates the way he looks. He would love to have surgery. It breaks my heart that he feels so bad about the way he looks. I try to be supportive without minimizing his concerns. We look for clothes that make him look good. Of course the way he looks doesn't both me- I look at him through years of love and affection. Still, I wish there was something that could correct this problem.

Just wanted to let you know your aren't alone in this.

Ford

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.