Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:33:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 191
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Turning 68  (Read 8774 times)

Offline bear60

Turning 68
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:42 am »
In a few days I will be 68 years old, starting my 69th year.
I was thinking about all the changes that have happened during my lifetime and wondered what I could say here. But after the thread on Ageing, I'm not sure I can add anything to such scholarly and deep thoughts.
So, here's one change I have noticed.  I went to look for clothes pins and had a very hard time finding what I wanted.  Some stores just didnt have any, some stores had only one kind.  I finally found what I wanted in a dollar store.  What, people dont hang up clothes to dry anymore?  We string clothes lines in our basement and hang shirts and pants up to dry.  This is because I only wear cotton and find that putting such items thru the dryer shrinks them several sizes.  I send a couple of things out to be dry cleaned but thats a luxury.  When I was younger, my mother would gather up my shirts and send them all to be cleaned.  They came back folded and ready to pack in a suitcase, or stash in a drawer.  I still have one lonely shirt that my Mom sent out to be cleaned in 1964 and Its still neatly folded in its paper wrap.
Something else that puzzles me is the noticible absence of doghouses anymore.  Remember Charlie Brown?  Snoopy had his own dog house.  When I was little our dogs had dog houses, as they were not allowed in the house.  Winter, summer, spring and fall.  I dont remember the dogs suffered as a result because we put lots of warm bedding in the doghouse in the winter and it was a great place to pass rainy days gazing out at the world.  Now, all these people in the city with dogs,  I guess apartment living doesnt deter anyone from having a dog.  It would me.  And the dog poop.  You can spot it everywhere.  Sometimes its in little plastic bags the dog owners have so cleverly dropped on SOMEONE ELSES sidewalk.  I have had some unpleasant exchanges with dog walkers.  You know who they are, walking 5 dogs at a time for people who cant take care of their own dogs.  "WHY are you letting them go on that tree?" (which was just planted)......I get abuse and attitude in return.  So much for the "GREEN" movement.
Yup.  Lots of changes in my lifetime.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Turning 68
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:09 am »
I dry all of my clothing naturally, but I don't use clothes pins. I have a collapsible garment rack or I hang some items on hangers and use my shower rod. I have done this for over 20 years -- not only does a dryer shrink things but it makes black clothing look washed out. I dry underwear/socks, towels, etc. in a dryer though.

Happy Birthday, Joel :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:37 am »
In a few days I will be 68 years old, starting my 69th year.

HAPPY BRITHDAY JOEL
I hope I make to to 68 yrs old. but at the rate my body is falling apart, I'll be lucky if i see 65, and that age only 10 yrs away  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:56:22 am »
Thanks David, and Dennis.  Dennis...If it happens, it happens.  You might enjoy 68.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEL

What, people dont hang up clothes to dry anymore? 

Yep,...We still hang the clothes outside to dry. They always smell outdoorsy !   :)

Plus, it keeps the house a lot cooler, when we don't have to run the dryer, and it saves electricity !

Happy Birthday !!  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:49 am »
Hey Joel,

Happy Birthday! Wow, I hope i am as fortunate.

By the way, I always hang my clothes out to dry. I have a wonderful clothes line, but, I also have a hard time finding decent clothes pins.

Since we have about 350 days of sun here, it works well. The only time i don't hang them outside is when there is snow on the ground.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:12 am »
Happy birthday.  I wonder how many people are faced with zoning and home owners' associations that restrict these activities.  I grew up always hanging clothes outside to dry but we are restricted from doing so now thanks to zoning. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:39:36 am »
Happy birthday.  I wonder how many people are faced with zoning and home owners' associations that restrict these activities.  I grew up always hanging clothes outside to dry but we are restricted from doing so now thanks to zoning. 

Wolfie

Greg I cannot hang anything outside the owners' association where we live doesn't like that....
however we do use our bathroom and hang things over the tub that we don't want to SHRINK, for everything else we use the dryer  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:54:38 am »
Happy Birthday !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:05 am »
Happy birthday Joel!! :-*

There are some things I hang on hangers; I have nothing else to use. But I do remember being a kid, and there being clotheslines in the basement (and outside). 

I hope your days are filled with excitement! And tranquility.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
Thanks Betty.
I'm glad to see you are still here.

Offline deibster

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 07:03:43 pm »
Happy birthday Bear!

My dad's business boarded dogs & had a bath tub up on legs so it was convenient to bathe the dogs. Of course, it helped when I got bigger so I could lift the dogs into the tub, one of them weighed 70 to 80 lbs. Our dogs lived in the house and got a thorough bath every week or two. Hugs from Provincetown, Deiby  ;)
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »
Hi Deiby
Thanks for the HUGS.
Since we lived out in the country and my Dad viewed dogs as "working" dogs, they were treated a little differently than "pets".  The English Pointer.....pointed out birds to be shot and killed.  It was a sport I never took to.  Our Beagle, however, was the closest to a pet.  He chased rabbits and so on, and had a wonderful voice.

Offline Billy B

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:18:46 pm »
Bear60
Happy birthday to you!!!
Yes, the world has certainly changed and I feel that people aren't as kind as they once were. I am sure that a lot of it is elder invisibility.
I loved your insight on doghouses and cloths lines. My dog used to jerk the cloths off the line so he got chained up when my mother as hanging out clothes.
Peace and Love on your special day,
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »
Thanks Billy.

I think you are right..... elderly people have a HARD time.  My friend Lois ( she's 82) lives in a high rise thats all seniors.  She prefers the company of younger people who have more positive energy.  Sadly she has few younger friends anymore.  She isnt HIV positive, she's just old.  But a lot of her friends have died...some from HIV but not all.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 05:45:54 pm »
Isn't Lois the woman I had lunch with once with you, Joel? I think at a diner around 11th or 10th St. Considering even my aged ass must seem young to her we'll have to do that again.

By the way, did the hibiscus plant survive or did it whither and die?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:55:58 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »
I was lazy one day and dried my sweaters in the dryer and they shrunk. But other than that I usually dry my sweaters in my sewing room since they could shrink. I lay them out on the ironing board or my sewing table.
But some things that have changed is kids did not have cell phones when I grew up. We had pagers at some point. And kids don't have cds now they have all this other mp3 thingys.
I still have cds and I don't even listen to them except to download them onto the computer to put them onto my touch.
And now when I go out I am always with my blue tooth, cell phone and touch. I am as into electronics as my daughter. Except I still ask her how to get things here and there on the computer.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
The correct way to dry a sweater is to lay it flat, but not stretched out, on a white bath towel and then roll it -- this is per Martha Stewart. I wash all of my sweaters in Woolite™ and dry them like that. It's often an entire week's worth of work, and I will be starting it next week now that the weather has turned warmer.

Offline rocky48

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »
bear60

Happy Birthday. I am now 64 this month and can only hope to make 68 but dr said, I'll die of old age but I don't really know what old age is. lol

Again Happy Birthday
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 07:19:43 pm »
Dear Joel,

Happy Birthday

lots off love

mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.