Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:26:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 233
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What form of Selenium is best?  (Read 16505 times)

Offline tash08

What form of Selenium is best?
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »
I've been taking Selenium 200mcg from Life Fitness it says its Brewers Yeast but I'm not sure if its a quality product I have heard of Selenomax and that is organic, I mean it contains selenomethionine which they claim is 100% absorbable am I good with what I am taking? I'm all ready taking a multi 105mcg sodium selanate.I think that Selenomax may be overrated, and the company that sells it want to make a profit :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:11:29 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: What form of Selenium is best?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:31:29 pm »
Hi,

I've been taking Selenium 200mcg from Life Fitness it says its Brewers Yeast but I'm not sure if its a quality product I have heard of Selenomax and that is organic, I mean it contains selenomethionine which they claim is 100% absorbable am I good with what I am taking? I'm all ready taking a multi 105mcg sodium selanate.I think that Selenomax may be overrated, and the company that sells it want to make a profit :P

Yes, l-selenomethionine was the most absorbable in the selenium studies. But Selenomax isn't the only product that contains it. Vitamine shoppe selenium also contains it. I take a men's multivitamin from Now foods that has 200 mcg of l-selenomethionine, which is the recommended dosage. I think the GNC multi (which I didn't try) has that too.

Be careful not to go too high on selenium. The institute of medicine says the tolerable intake is 400 mcg before there is a risk of toxicity . 200 mcg is the recommended dose. I took 275 mcg for a few weeks and  had my selenium level taken, and it was a little bit high. If you are already taking some form of selenium from your multi, you may want to cut the selenium tablets in half. Or switch to a multi with the right dosage and form of selenium like I did.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:53:17 pm »
I take the multivit from GNC which contains 200mg of selenium. Then I add another 100 mg, sometimes even 200mg of selenium on its own, under the same house brand occasionally, not often though, topping it up at 400mg with 300 iu of Vit E. I dunno, maybe it's my own insane comfort zone. Kinda like, hey u damned critters, take that! and zap and that, zap, zap!  :P
Once, I counted the host of supplements I take regularly each time and it came up to a shocking amount of 60-80 tablets easily. So I kinda alternate some (eg; emu oil, shark cartilage, cat's claw, gingko, triple ginseng, sutherlandia..etc) to give my liver some rest. Multivits & COQ10 are pretty much daily. Eventually I'll probably reduce to just a multivit and then some, like COQ10 (for skin & gums).

Sigh, chomp chomp, inside and out. ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 02:18:30 am by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline tash08

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:55:36 pm »
Thank you guys  :)

I'm surprised that your blood levels were elevated with 275mcg. I guess is a trace mineral and we don't need that much of it.  I was thinking in general terms that it would help with the immune function. I'm going to stick with a half of tablet 100mcg and 105mcg from a multi.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:00:26 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »
Yeah, I was surprised too.  I had been taking about 230 mcg/day for one year (30 from multi, 200 from separate selenium supplement), and had just gone up to 275 mcg/day the month before - 200 mcg from the multi, and 3 NOW NACs which also had 25 mcg selenium each - for a total of 275 mcg. My selenium level came in at 235 mcg/L . Kaiser says it should be 110 - 160 mcg/L. I have cut it down to 225 right now - 200 from the multi, and 25 from one NAC . When I am done with the NOW NAC that has selenium (in one month) I will be down to the 200 from the multi only.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:22:06 pm »
I take 200 mcgs of Selenium plus I get another 105 mcgs in the One-A-Day multivitamin for men 50+ without any difficulties.

I've taken Selenium for many years, since the dark days of monotherapy when my doc at the time advised me to add it to my daily routine.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:35:48 pm »
Mark,

I take 200 mcgs of Selenium plus I get another 105 mcgs in the One-A-Day multivitamin for men 50+ without any difficulties.

I've taken Selenium for many years, since the dark days of monotherapy when my doc at the time advised me to add it to my daily routine.

HUGS,

Mark

Did you ever ask your doc to check your blood selenium level ? If not, this might be a good thing to do.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 01:54:56 am »

Two words "Brazil Nuts"

Offline SASA39

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:51 am »
Two words "Brazil Nuts"
Amen to that
                Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 04:19:06 am »
I have noticed for me that dosages of selenium above 100mcg/day do not inhibit nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kB) as effectively as the 100mcg dose.Therefore i stay at the 100 mcg level.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:22:00 am by Lorenzopier »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 04:41:29 am »
I have noticed for me that dosages of selenium above 100mcg/day do not inhibit nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kB) as effectively as the 100mcg dose.Therefore i stay at the 100 mcg level.

How do you notice this?

MtD

Offline AzulSunrise

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 04:57:12 pm »
I'M taking a multivitamin  One a Day Mens Health Formula with   105 mcg selenium , would this be enough? i also in the occasion eat Brazilian Nuts from Trader Joes  3.99 (cheap deal ) and they taste even more fresh as the ones sold at Whole Foods , I also heard that Selenium can be used as well by the HIV virus itself as part of one of its nutrients to do what HIV is supposed to do , it makes sense to me even tho i would like to think this is not true at all , food for thought (pun intented) :-)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.