Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:21:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 646
Total: 648

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: SCARED IN S.A. OVER W2W ORAL SEX  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Scared in SA

SCARED IN S.A. OVER W2W ORAL SEX
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:59:19 am »
Please could someone give me their honest opinion and if there is someone with a medical background, even better!  I need to know if this activity warrants me getting an HIV test done?

About 7 months ago I had unprotected oral sex with another lady.  There was no blood involved, I was more on the receiving end but I'm not sure if there was any bodily fluids exchanged.  I know alot of sites say it is risky and some that say it's not, but is woman to woman transmission been documented.  I'm going out of my mind with worry, so your opinion would be most appreciated.

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:51:50 am by Scared in SA »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: SCARED IN SOUTH AFRICA OVER W2W ORAL SEX
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:56:15 am »
Yes, diverse opinions have been expressed through the years, including some saying there is risk. But the bottom line is NO DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE. Theoretically transmission could happen in this manner, but in the real world of HIV it doesn't.

Even assuming the woman you were with is HIV+, her bodily fluids which would be most accessible to HIV are in the cervical area, which is far enough up inside her to make them inaccessible to your mouth and tongue. You have a natural protection in your own body: your saliva. It has effective inhibiting factors in it which would neutralize HIV IF there was any in the other woman's bodily fluids and IF you connected with them orally.

If she had been menstruating that would have been quite noticeable. Copious and fresh bleeding could be a risk but again, we have no documented evidence of such transmission.

What has often turned out to be the source of infection in a lesbian is that she has had unprotected intercourse with a man.

As for the aspect of receiving oral in the incident, you absolutely weren't at risk.

I can't help wondering if you are new to woman to woman sex. If you are perhaps the feelings stirred up by "experimenting" are the real issue here. As far as HIV is concerned I don't see any cause for concern nor for testing.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:59:47 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Scared in SA

Re: SCARED IN S.A. OVER W2W ORAL SEX
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:03:11 am »
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, this was the first time I've ever been with a woman.  Feeling totally guilt, disgusted and terrified!
I'm married to a wonderful man and feel guilty everytime I even look at him.  This was something that happened one evening while I was away on business.

There was no menstrual blood noted and I was more on the receiving then giving side.  We didn't use any toys and it wasn't too long.  Do you still think this is pretty safe to say that I was infected?  I've been getting quite a few symptoms lately and I'm not sure if this is just due to anxiety.  Swollen glands, headaches, no weight loss, small unraised red spots on one side of my body - about 4 of them, nausea and sore neck.  Please let me know what you think?

Thank you

Offline Sean Wandering

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:04:46 am »
me scared too, and will have test tomorrow, hope all the scared people here finally are fine.

and people here like Andy, Ann, Matt, RapidRod, etc are very nice, glad that we can communicate with them

good luck!

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 09:10:01 am »
Hi Sean .... thank you for the hello and best wishes message.  I hope your test tomorrow comes out exactly as I'm sure it will - NEGATIVE!  Will keep my fingers crossed for you.  I still have taken the plunge and had it done - so scared of the results and everyone on these HIV sites keeps telling me that I've got nothing to worry about regarding woman to woman transmission.  Here's hoping they're right :)

Take care and GOOD LUCK!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:30 am »
Scared, you have absolutely no need to get tested other than if you think that's the only way you will have peace of mind about the HIV issue.

You weren't at risk in this incident. Really.

Guilt is a whole other matter. Lugging that around is unhealthy and it's not a love tribute to your husband or a sign of your higher integrity. It's just poisonous. The best thing you can do for all concerned is to accept what happened, take a breath and let it and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:57:12 am »
scared,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing where hiv is concerned. As you did not have a risk for hiv infection, your symptoms could not possibly have anything to do with hiv. If they persist, see your doctor.

Going down on a woman - cunnilingus - is NOT a risk for hiv infection. It is the cervicovaginal fluid, which is more of a thick mucus than a fluid, that is infectious and you won't get anywhere near this during cunnilingus. The fluid that a woman produces when sexually excited comes from two glands on either side of the vaginal opening and have not been show to be particularly infectious, rather like sweat or tears.

Plus, saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

You did not have a risk for hiv infection. If you cannot bring yourself to believe us, go test and collect your negative result. A test now will be conclusive.

Along with reading the Transmission Lesson, here's what you need to know about avoiding hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 02:06:04 am »
THANK YOU ALL for your positive responses and putting my mind to rest.  Do you know if there are any documented cases of HIV transmission from woman to woman?  And if so, what was the reasoning behind it?  So, would you all agree that I've got nothing to worry about and shouldn't even worry about getting an HIV test?  Ann, could you tell me where this cervicovaginal fluid is found in a woman?  Sorry if I sound naive but would like to have all the info on hand.  Andy, I really appreciate your honesty and kind words .... it really helps me try to put things into percpective and will try and not be too hard on myself.  The more information I can get on wether this warrants an HIV test or not would be great!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:06 am »
Ann, could you tell me where this cervicovaginal fluid is found in a woman?

Hey Scared,

The fluids in question are found around the cervix, which is at the top of the vagina where it meets the womb.

MtD

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 04:10:04 am »
Hi Matt
Thank you for your quick response.  So basically there was no way that either of us could have got infected.  Afterall, excuse the bluntness but I only used my tongue on her clit .... no fingering and no going lower then that.  With regards to her going down on me - it was for quite along time, she used her tongue and fingers.  Is it safe to say that I shouldn't carry on with the worry over being infected and that there is no reason for me to get tested?  I really appreciate all your help here guys - A BIG THANK YOU!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 04:12:44 am »
Not a problem babe. You can be as blunt as you need to be. There's no point in being coy when talking about this stuff. ;)

I agree completely with Ann here. You didn't have a risk for HIV and you don't need to test because of this.

Fond regards,

MtD

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 04:15:32 am »
BOY .... that was quick - THANK YOU Matt!
I just hope that all is okay and even without the testing - I need to put this behind me and get on with my life.  If there was no risk involved and I've been on all the websites to confirm this, then I suppose there is no need for testing?  Have you had any expierences with this Matt and do you have a medical background of some sorts to confirm what everyone has been telling me?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 04:50:01 am »
That's right mate. No risk means that you don't need to test. Though Ann's earlier advice to you about having regular STD screening if you're sexually active is good advice. Regular screening is a good habit to get into and some STD's (such as genital herpes) are transmitted by skin-to-skin contact.

Please understand that I'm not suggesting you need to test because of the sexual activity you've told us about.

In our Welcome Thread you'll find links to our testing and transmission lessons (which explain all you need to know about HIV) and our posting guidelines. The guidelines stipulate that only our Moderators (such as Ann and Andy Velez) and a number of authorised members can answer questions that people such are yourself bring to our forums. I'm one of those authorised members.

We only deal in facts backed up by science here. You can rest assured that whether it's myself or another authorised member who answers your questions, you're getting the right answers.

So yes, you can trust the advice we've given you. If we thought you had a risk, we'd tell you. And yes, you can get on with your life.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 06:19:25 am »
Thank you Matt for you honest advice and the time you've taken to reassure me - much appreciated!
I'm married so this was a once off encounter with a lady.  I've never cheated on my husband before and of course never been with a woman either.  This is something I deeply regret but hope that all is okay!
If you don't mind me asking, but where do the moderators getting their scientific information from and is it realiable and uptodate?

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 06:50:20 am »
I thought this was quite interesting and maybe you'd like to pass it onto people who are worried about oral sex and the transmission of HIV:

Receptive partner of gay anal sex  1 in 1,250
Insertive partner of gay anal sex  1 in 122
Receptive partner of straight vaginal sex 1 in 1,000,000
Insertive partner of straight vaginal sex  1 in 111,111
Receiver of penile oral sex  1 in 1,250
Performer of penile oral sex  Negligible
Receiver of vaginal oral sex  Negligible
Performer of vaginal oral sex  Negligible

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 07:05:01 am »
Scared,

Numbers like those don't really mean anything and are counterproductive to our purposes here. Why? Because someone who has had, for example, unprotected vaginal intercourse, has been at risk and they do need to test. Looking at those numbers, they might decide to take their chances instead of testing. So forget the stats.

The fact is however, that there has NEVER been a proven case of hiv transmission occuring during cunnilingus.

Those of us who answer questions in this forum have been educating ourselves for years on the subject of hiv transmission and infection. All  of our responses are based on peer-reviewed, scientific studies published in medical journals - as well as knowing the basic science on a cellular level and human anatomy. Many of us are also living with hiv, so knowing what is a risk and isn't a risk is very important to us.

I have a partner who is hiv negative. We've been together for eight years and he remains hiv negative despite our having a full sex life. The only thing we do to ensure he remains hiv negative is to use condoms for intercourse. I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk too.

You did not have a risk in your incident with another woman. If you did, we'd tell you and advise you to test. You only need to test if that is the only way to put this behind you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 07:13:19 am »
Ann, thank you for your honest advice and I will be trying my best to move on.  I suppose it's the guilt mixed with worry that keeps me going back to the same issues.  Maybe I should just do the test, put it behind me and get on with my life!  I thank God for giving friendly, helpful and encouraging people like yourselves to help others.  THANK YOU Ann!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 07:23:09 am »
Scared,

You're welcome.

Drop the guilt overboard - it won't do you any good. What's done is done - so you experimented a bit with another woman, it's not that big a deal in the greater scheme of things. Put it behind you and think of it as part of life's rich tapestry.

If you continue to have problems with the guilty feelings, perhaps some counseling would be in order. We can't help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 07:34:12 am »
Hi Ann,
I probably do need to see a counsellor for the guilt but as far as the HIV testing, fears I think all of you have put my mind to rest!  I think you are all doing a wonderful job helping people in need and from me, I just want to thank you!  You're all in my hearts and prayers.

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 10:40:09 am »
Hi all .... I'm sorry to worry you again but I've got a few symtoms that I'm still worried about and need your advice:

1)  Sore neck on the right hand side - can hardly turn my neck
2)  Tongue and palatte feel sore and mouth feels really dry
3)  The rash that I spoke about earlier on hasn't gone away yet
4)  Headaches
5)  Tired all the time

PLEASE .... are these any to be concerned about?  Are they not a symptom of ARS?

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 11:40:01 am »
There are no specific symptoms of ARS, Scared. we don't address anyone's aches and pains because no one can diagnose anything over the internet.

If you're feeling unwell, go see your doctor. But this is not an HIV concern.

Brent
(Who knows what it feels like to feel crummy sometimes)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Scared in SA

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:20 am »
Hi Brent
Thank you for your reply and honest opinion .... I really do appreciate it!  I guess it's something I shouldn't try and diagnose over the internet, but everytime I read symptoms of HIV I think I have it.
Do you think the encounter that I had with another woman would warrant an HIV test?  What is your understanding and expierence regarding HIV?  Sorry for all the questions, but this is new and very scary for me.

P.S. Hope you're not feeling 'crummy' today!   ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.