Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:34:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about the undetectable risk in sex  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Rockin

Question about the undetectable risk in sex
« on: December 15, 2012, 09:13:51 am »
Hey guys...the other day I was reading an article, I think it was on Aids Day, the 1st. And one thing really caught my attention.

This doctor was saying that, once a HIV+ woman is pregnant and undetectable during the pregnancy, that the risk of the child contracting HIV is less than 2%.

I cannot for the life of me find the link to the article but that's pretty much what the doctor said at one point.

So...it's pretty amazing to consider that the unborn child, who is obviously being affected by everything that goes on inside the woman's body, has close to 0% chance being infected.

And by that logic...would it be safe to say that contracting HIV through, lets say, anal sex with an undetectable person is pretty much impossible? Considering, of course, that said poz guy is undetectable and remains undetectable. That is my question.

I ask this because I see a lot of people, including UND pozzies, who are still so afraid of having sex with their NEG guys or girls.

And by no means I'm advocating unprotected sex...there are many other STD's going around and I still think it could increase some sort of paranoia in the relationship.

I ask this and I put this out there: why are UND guys still so afraid of having any kind of sex with their partners or potential partners? Is it the irrational vs the rational? I see people depressed because they feel they cannot have a healthy sex life anymore and maybe they are feeling this over nothing.

If the doctor was accurate in his statement, I believe you have a higher chance of getting hit by a lightning bolt during a thunderstorm.

Offline buginme2

Re: Question about the undetectable risk in sex
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:34:23 am »
This has been the topic of a lot of research, and its still ongoing.

The theory is an undetectable person has a significantly reduced chance of passing on the virus during unprotected sex.  Thats the basis for the "Treatment as Prevention" model that was part, if not the main, reason for the latest US guidelies suggesting ARV treatment for everyone regardless of CD4 count.

The HPTN 052 study evaluated heterosexuals in commited relationships and found that those who were undetectable had a 97% reduction in transmitting the virus.

Other studies however are more concerning.  A study in Boston examined the semen of positive gay men that were undetectable and found that many had a detectable level in semen even when their blood was undetectable, theoreticall showing transmission was possible.

So yes the risk is reduced, by how much is still debatable.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Rockin

Re: Question about the undetectable risk in sex
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »
This has been the topic of a lot of research, and its still ongoing.

The theory is an undetectable person has a significantly reduced chance of passing on the virus during unprotected sex.  Thats the basis for the "Treatment as Prevention" model that was part, if not the main, reason for the latest US guidelies suggesting ARV treatment for everyone regardless of CD4 count.

The HPTN 052 study evaluated heterosexuals in commited relationships and found that those who were undetectable had a 97% reduction in transmitting the virus.

Other studies however are more concerning.  A study in Boston examined the semen of positive gay men that were undetectable and found that many had a detectable level in semen even when their blood was undetectable, theoreticall showing transmission was possible.

So yes the risk is reduced, by how much is still debatable.

I wonder what the 97% means. I mean...what happened with the 3% then? Some people claim to be UND but maybe are not taking their pills properly, due to denial, fatigue or depression.

Plus, those men could have been going through blips.

I just say this because I feel sad for fellow pozzies who feel depressed with the constant fear of infecting someone even when using protection. People have to start being rational and informing themselves better.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.