Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:10:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 248
Total: 249

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you "HIV Lite"?  (Read 36599 times)

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Are you "HIV Lite"?
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 08:13:14 pm »
Alex it's not a dead horse and plenty of people have agreed with me both in public and private and - seeing as how I have a PM from you still in my inbox agreeing with me the last time this issue came up, I find your current remark in reference to me pretty funny.

If you want specifics send me a PM and I'll tell you who to look up to see exactly what I am talking about. Not going to call out people on here. I'll give you a hint - look up the person you wrote to me about and that's the first place to start.

People sometimes amaze me...

Mikey :)

Great - I'm gonna PM you rigt now ... Edited to add: People are allowed to learn, grow and modify their positions, hello. Everyone here knows I own up to my mistakes Mikey. People should amaze you

Edited to add: Still waiting on those old PM's (whistling) ... I don't need a PM outbox
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:15:43 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 08:22:21 pm »
Joe, I'd only like to point out -- since you use the phrase "mere words" many times -- that words are very powerful things. With an immense capacity for harm as well as good. I'm not being hyperbolical, even if I might sound trite. A slur remains a slur even if I choose not to use it, or "appropriate" in creative or funny ways.

Besides, the bickering, as you choose to call it, has all along been about attitudes or convictions that are held by the words, not the "mere words" alone.

That having been said, couldn't agree with you more about the fact that we are all agreed on some basic points. We're muddling along together.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 08:23:46 pm »
If you think merely repeating the phrase (and making a light-hearted reference as I did) is the solution (in a thread prompted by the egregious use of the phrase) then you really need a clue.

I certainly don't think it's a solution.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:44 pm »
Alex I wan't even talking to you I barely paid attention to what you wrote. I was addressing Joe.

Edited to add: You can whistle your way to Dixie Alex you got my reply within 5 minutes so your impatience is pretty damn bizarre.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:59:16 pm by StrongGuy »
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2007, 08:30:50 pm »

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2007, 09:24:18 pm »
Edited to add: You can whistle your way to Dixie Alex you got my reply within 5 minutes so your impatience is pretty damn bizarre.

Yes - and I reported it to the Moderators because it was filled with unncessary profanity

Oh- and it was not what I requested..... Thumbs down to your prevaricated comments. File it under "L" for lack of integrity

STOP EDITING YOUR POSTS MIKEY

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:41 pm »
Friends, most of the entries here are just people talking about how things look to them and what they have experienced. There's been very little pontificating.

To me the most important thing evident in many of the shares here is with humor, with pain and insight, people are talking about living with HIV is totally not a walk in the park. Now that may seem unoriginal or "obvious" to some, but who said we shouldn't be able to repeat something that really matters.

It is just beginning to get a bit crusty in the thread. Passion is one thing. Getting nasty is a whole other, so please, if you are getting pissed at someone, take a breath and step back a bit. Without naming names at this time, please drop out righteousness and ease up on the venom.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 09:51:33 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline koi1

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2007, 10:15:01 pm »
HIV lite does not exist. Not even with a one pill a day regimen. However the attitudes of some people in our community don't seem to see that HIV is a serious disease.

My hope is that I will have a long life. But I am fully aware of the complications that can come out of nowhere. I for once still have horrible diarrhea, going on ten months now. I have to take up to sixteen pills for diarrhea each day. I have to alternate between lomotil and immodium because they stop being effective sometimes after one or two doses.

I have floaters in my eyes. I am constantly vigilant on what is going on in my body and on the surface, because I know that a lot of things can take hold of me especially with such a low t-cell count. HIV is serious business, that is why it angers me when people joke about it, or even make stupid statements about infecting others.

I have lost 30 pounds and have not regained any of them since starting meds. I look like a shadow of what I used to be.

Because of my wasting, when I bring my fears up to the doctors, they just reply that I should be happy to be alive and regard my questions on lypodystrophy lypoatrhophy as mere vanity.

Though I remain postitive because that is the only way to kepp on living with this disease, I know that this disease could end my life prematurely, even though I hope to live to see my nieces' grandchildren.

So now people encouraging the newbies should not be seen as HIV Lite, sometimes hope is all we have.

Hope that better treatments will come a long, even though we are ahead the times when HIV meant certain death.

rob

diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »
Yes - and I reported it to the Moderators because it was filled with unncessary profanity

Yes I know you kept telling me how you reported that PM and the next one and the one after that because your tender ears couldn't handle a few profanities and my snarkilicious retort. It's really just about getting copies of your PMs back in your hands so you can refresh your memory as to what a hypocrite you are. I wasn't born yesterday, but if 8th grade tattle-taling makes you feel better, then by all means. As I said, you're on my PM ignore list now because I'm not getting sucked into whatever little game you're trying to start with me.

STOP EDITING YOUR POSTS MIKEY
LOL...I don't even know where to begin. Obviously you're delusional if you think your CAPS rant is going to make me STOP EDITING MY POSTS. Pretty damn funny if you ask me.

Peace and love!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:26:45 pm by StrongGuy »
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2007, 11:35:09 pm »
Yes I know you kept telling me how you reported that PM and the next one and the one after that because your tender ears couldn't handle a few profanities and my snarkilicious retort. It's really just about getting copies of your PMs back in your hands so you can refresh your memory as to what a hypocrite you are. I wasn't born yesterday, but if 8th grade tattle-taling makes you feel better, then by all means. As I said, you're on my PM ignore list now because I'm not getting sucked into whatever little game you're trying to start with me.
LOL...I don't even know where to begin. Obviously you're delusional if you think your CAPS rant is going to make me STOP EDITING MY POSTS. Pretty damn funny if you ask me.

Peace and love!

blehhhh ..... thumbs down. i'm just shining a floodlight on your indecisiveness when it comes to diction and composition. thank goodness edits are timestamped. you're not snarkilicious. you're not any kind of "licious" and if this is your idea of peace and love, well then i have to ask you: exactly when you were thrown out of charm school!!?!! TIME TO RE-ENROLL! (elsewhere!)

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2007, 11:39:08 pm »
P.S. If you expect perfection from people why bother even logging in? Why bother stepping outside of your house?

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2007, 11:39:34 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen please play nice.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2007, 11:48:25 pm »
blehhhh ..... thumbs down. i'm just shining a floodlight on your indecisiveness when it comes to diction and composition. thank goodness edits are timestamped. you're not snarkilicious. you're not any kind of "licious" and if this is your idea of peace and love, well then i have to ask you: exactly when you were thrown out of charm school!!?!! TIME TO RE-ENROLL! (elsewhere!)

Whew...thanks for the heads up buddy because your validation,characterization and opinion, from somebody I don't know, really means so much to me. I'll get right on that re-enrollment in charm school buddy. ASAP. Is it right next to the school for people who contradict themselves and look like a big ol' hypocrite? LOL.

P.S. If you expect perfection from people why bother even logging in? Why bother stepping outside of your house?

What? I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and, frankly, don't really care to find out.

Anyway apologies for partaking in this hijacking. Hopefully I'm done with this bizarre holistic jibber jabber.

Peace and love (s-a-r-c-a-s-m)

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:16 pm »
Peace and love (s-a-r-c-a-s-m)

DUH - I knowwww -

but i couldn't resist the lovely segue you provided with your sarcasm!  :D

Offline koi1

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:44 pm »
Will this thread be locked too?

diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2007, 11:53:52 pm »
 O K fellas! That is enough from both of you. We really need to be cohesive these days.
Please don't hurl thingies back and forth.
I like you both, and respect each of your opinions. It does not have to be a battle to the death.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2007, 11:54:02 pm »
Hey Jay,

Interesting premise, but words are incapable of holding anything and words, just like people, can hold no power over you, only the power that you give away to them.  Too many of you are still confusing this whole issue.  HIV lite has nothing to do with how you approach your HIV nor manage your life.  It has to do with realizing that like it or not, the HIV community needs your strength and power to ensure that we all have the same options in regards to treatments and services and that no matter what your lot in life, it would be hoped that you could find some time for your fellow humans.

Stop making this phrase personal and it will cease to be.  If you would only try and look at it as a clarion call to awaken the AIDS warriors in some of you, well you know what they say about the power of one person.  And I call parts of this thread bickering, because the background chatter is beyond childish.  We are either going to act like adults, which includes agreeing to disagree, or threads will continue to denigrate until they get locked, just like some recent interesting threads, that instead of fostering discussion, became pissing matches.

If we cannot make room at the table for every view, we become no different from those who seek to discriminate against us, based on a lack of information.  We share a bond and this is suppose to be a support forum, so please drop the name calling and taunting or start a separate thread because I get tired of having to read between the lines to see the real pearls here among the whines.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 12:06:06 am by killfoile »

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:52 pm »
O K fellas! That is enough from both of you. We really need to be cohesive these days.
Please don't hurl thingies back and forth.
I like you both, and respect each of your opinions. It does not have to be a battle to the death.

hey honey!   :)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2007, 11:57:36 pm »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2007, 12:02:38 am »
She is right. Listen to her.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2007, 12:08:47 am »
I know I am digressing by playing into this fight with holistic person. I'm done with it. Much ado about nothing.

I think the term HIV Lite should just be retired or, if used, thoroughly explained in terms of context whenever it is used because it has way too much baggage and is fully loaded.

Joe I get what you are saying and respect the way you see the term, though I don't believe for a second that is what others who have used it in the past believe. 

From my own personal perspective, Joe, I do appreciate your clarification.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2007, 12:11:38 am »
Mikey,

I felt it important to explain the context of this phrase, because if you understand where it came from and to what it refers, they you won't let it be used out of context.  I agree that the whole term can be shelved, but never the intent behind it.

Again friends, it has nothing to do with the actual disease, rather it has everything to do with community.

Ours.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2007, 12:20:32 am »
  It's a shame sometimes that an author is ignored just for who he is.  If you don't like the video at least close your eyes and listen to the music.  Killfoile thanks, I don't think some even really got what you meant in the words you wrote.  How unfortunate.  

I moved from Miami, where I was spoiled with services that I sometimes had to refuse, to a small town.  Here the services are far from adequate.  I cannot even get the medicines to treat my dysthymia (depression) let alone speak to a therapist.   In Miami the funding allowed for such services to be rendered to me.  In Sebring Title II funding is being used to pay the RN's and LPN's at my clinic.  These same nurses are not only seeing me and other HIV infected patients, but also anyone else who does not have insurance.  By anyone else I mean those without HIV, even illegals.  How do I know this?  I know this because I sat down with the assistant director and filed a complaint about having to have my blood drawn (7 vials) in front of others who looked on in amazement.  One woman even commented on the amount of vials I had to give.  I left there wondering how conducive this environment would be for someone wanting to get tested for HIV, let alone someone like me who has to get labs done regularly.  They have since made changes after my complaint.  It was during my conversation with this woman that I found out just how Ryan White funds were being used.  The 30 plus AIDS/HIV patients here basically have to either have their illness remain manageable or completely fail.  When it fails hopefully disability will be approved in time to offer more inadequate relief.   I think this might be the scenario Joe speaks of in all cities and towns if we should continue to get complacent.  That is if we are lucky enough to even get that.

Joe while I was typing this you posted again and I was mainly referring to your first posting in this thread.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:04 am »

Alex what gives?  What did you just accomplish with all that exchange?

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27:06 am »
Joe,

I don't think we'll agree exactly on what the context of the original post was - but we can agree to disagree. I got nothing positive out of it except my way or the highway condescension. Just rereading that original thread today still boiled my blood. Then again I'm Italian so it doesn't take much - LOL.

Anyway, I'm hoping to go a month without having my name or something I say become a topic of a thread! (though I know this thread meant well and appreciate Skeebo's insight). Countdown starts today! LOL.

Mikey
(who has spent WAY too much time on here today).

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2007, 12:29:42 am »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2007, 12:36:11 am »
The fact remains, lite, heavy, diet, low-joule, fat reduced, salt reduced or what ever you want to call it.  We all have HIV and at the moment, we're all pretty much stuck with it.  Who cares what the **** it's called.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2007, 12:37:52 am »
The fact remains, lite, heavy, diet, low-joule, fat reduced, salt reduced or what ever you want to call it.  We all have HIV and at the moment, we're all pretty much stuck with it.  Who cares what the **** it's called.

I call mine "Mr. Bigglesworth."

But then I realized I had more than one in me at any given time.  So every viral particle is named Mr. Bigglesworth.

There's terrible confusion. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2007, 08:04:37 am »
OK. Last warning before I give some Time Outs. Lay off the nasty back and forth stuff.

It not only serves no good purpose here, it actually distracts from what has in many instances been a serious discussion. Somewhere along the line it seems to be forgetten at times that talk here is not about winning or losing or getting in the last word. It's NOT about attacking each other.

Among other things it's about talking together, exchanging thoughts, ideas, experiences and feelings and allowing us to know each other better in a safe setting. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:39:30 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2007, 11:07:56 am »
What is a newbie to think of all this?

Hi IHH. Here are your answers:

I think it’s an important message that long term survivors are trying to make.  Don’t take this virus for granted and don’t put all your trust in the current medications.  FIGHT FOR MORE RESEARCH AND BETTER MEDICATIONS.  If we don’t fight.  Nothing will be done.

Stop making this phrase personal and it will cease to be.  If you would only try and look at it as a clarion call to awaken the AIDS warriors in some of you, well you know what they say about the power of one person.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:13 pm »
HIV lite has nothing to do with how you approach your HIV nor manage your life.  It has to do with realizing that like it or not, the HIV community needs your strength and power to ensure that we all have the same options in regards to treatments and services and that no matter what your lot in life, it would be hoped that you could find some time for your fellow humans.
That is not how HIV Lite has been used in the forums.  It's a loaded term, its rude, judgmental and condescending.  No matter how much folks try to sugar coat it, that term is not used to uplift anyone (and certainly not used to encourage people to become activists).  If the goal is to uplift and encourage activism, there are more productive ways of doing so.

HIV Lite is used to demean others, and is primarily used when someone is having a hissy-fit.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2007, 04:14:56 pm »
I call mine "Mr. Bigglesworth."

But then I realized I had more than one in me at any given time.  So every viral particle is named Mr. Bigglesworth.

There's terrible confusion. 

I just go with the old faithful..... COOTIES!  Works for me and I smile when I say it.  Who could ask for more!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2007, 04:18:02 pm »
I just go with the old faithful..... COOTIES!  Works for me and I smile when I say it.  Who could ask for more!

Too bad "circle, circle, dot, dot, now I got my cootie shot" doesn't seem to work as a vaccine.   :D

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2007, 04:19:12 pm »
Stalker! And no it doesnt DAMNIT!
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2007, 04:22:09 pm »
Stalker! And no it doesnt DAMNIT!

Isn't "stalking" just another world for "love?"

P.S.  I can see you.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2007, 04:24:10 pm »
How many balls am i holding up?
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2007, 04:28:43 pm »
How many balls am i holding up?

Not nearly enough.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2007, 04:30:37 pm »
RIDE!!!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2007, 07:59:28 pm »
I completely agree the need is there for more AIDS/funding activism.

However, 'HIV Lite' was not coined to encourage activism. It came to life after the originator repeatedly berated others, thread after thread, for trying to uplift anothers spirits when they were down about their HIV.
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Robert

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:17 pm »
Cliff. you said,

"That is not how HIV Lite has been used in the forums.  It's a loaded term, its rude, judgmental and condescending.  No matter how much folks try to sugar coat it, that term is not used to uplift anyone (and certainly not used to encourage people to become activists).  If the goal is to uplift and encourage activism, there are more productive ways of doing so.

HIV Lite is used to demean others, and is primarily used when someone is having a hissy-fit."

Thank you for putting this topic into words I understand.  Simple and to the point.

Thank you for reflecting my views. 

robert

Offline Lis

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:21 pm »
I only wish that what i wrote was really read.... not 5 minutes before, i read the post that said "I dont care... Fuck me anyway"  I stated that i felt sorry for those that felt that way...   that's all ,nothing more, nothing less.. so sorry ...

that attitude is not something that i  understand... again.... no autopsy no foul...

gods speed!  and for the record... HIV lite has nothing to do with bitch slapping... 

lis the most hated!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2007, 08:32:44 pm »
Joe (killfoile) and I had a good exchange yesterday over PM about my response #51 and his response #66. Going to try to reproduce it in part; hope it formats out OK. (Edited for a few typos.)

Jay: "Joe, thanks for responding. It was good to read a civil response, and a non-facetious response...

Let me, in turn, disagree with your premise: that words have power over us only if we choose to give it to them. Or that if I/we stop making the phrase "personal" it ceases to be. I just don't think that's how words -- and ideas in words -- work. Or a lot of strands in our human nature for that matter.

I was careful not to go too far and draw tendentious analagies about racist or homophobic slurs. But there are fundamental similiarities. Being called a "nigger" or a "fag" or whatever is deeply hurtful -- I suppose I can choose not to care, but why should I? Why should I not fight instead and try to educate people that even single words can have tremendous social consequences (destructive ones)?

The whole "mere words" premise leaves me unconvinced. But we can agree to disagree."

Joe: "Hey Jay, I have to agree with part of your argument and I intentionally used the term "mere words" because too many posters were getting hung up on them at the time.  I agree that there are some words that have incredible power, but I still maintain that people are the only ones who can infuse any words with power.  Granted the words usually reflect some twisted view of the world, be it the word queer, faggot or nigger, but again who "empowered" those words?  People did.

I have also lived long enough and through enough hate to know that you are right in that we need to change perceptions for people to understand how hurtful certain words can be, because they retain power that has been given by others who came before us.  I think we are somewhat talking about two sides of the same coin and I do not see us being in disagreement.

What I see is that ideas are allowed to become rooted in reality and ideas can only be coneyed by using words and hence those words carry the power of the ideas.  And having written that I now realize that you are very right in your observations and I will try and remember that some ideas and words, say Nazi, will always have powerful connotations.

This is the kind of discussion that threads should contain, but sometimes...

Thanks for the clarity."

And for my part, thanks to Cliff and Longislander for clarifying (their views, which I will admit are substantially in agreement with mine) as well.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:46 am »
I would like to thank Tim Horn for sharing his real life horrible experience of watching his dear friend pass on after being induced with a morphine coma. I had to go through the same thing with my wife in 1999. It was the worst two days of my life...to await her last gasp of air on this planet.

For those of you who have not experienced it, well I hope you never do.

Tim my heart goes out to you. All this HIV LITE blah blah blah.  I agree with you, it the grand scheme of things It means nothing.

HIV is about life and death. Why not support each other.

Let's concentrate on that rather then silly debates that, at the end of the day, have little to do with everyones daily battle with this dreadful disease.

We are still here, lets be grateful. And like Elizabeth said, let's NEVER get complacent.
Positive since 1985

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2007, 10:13:44 am »
I only wish that what i wrote was really read.... not 5 minutes before, i read the post that said "I dont care... Fuck me anyway"  I stated that i felt sorry for those that felt that way...   that's all ,nothing more, nothing less.. so sorry ...

that attitude is not something that I understand... again.... no autopsy no foul...

gods speed!  and for the record... HIV lite has nothing to do with bitch slapping... 

lis the most hated!!!!

Lis,

Sweetheart I think you are misunderstanding something in this thread.  What you spoke of  those negative people out there who think it is as easy as popping one pill.   I tell you what, I cannot think of a better term for them than "HIV Lite".   I think most would probably agree and as some have mentioned here this is where the education about HIV lacks.

Please do not refer to yourself ever as "Lis the most hated" , because you are not.  Not one person has mentioned your name accusing you and I for one clarified that myself earlier in this thread.   

Lis...  your daily struggle is enough stress on you.  Do not add any other issues to your plate.  I for one have the utmost respect for what you go through.   The problems I am going through currently, pale in comparison to yours.

You have shown me more ways than one how you feel about those like me who struggle with just one pill.  You have given me your time and concern on more than one occasion and for that I am grateful to you.

Love,

Thomas

Offline Teresa

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2007, 10:24:54 am »
       Lis...  your daily struggle is enough stress on you.  Do not add any other issues to your plate.  I for one have the utmost respect for what you go through.  

Lis i agree with Thomas. You are much loved and respected here.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline bear60

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2007, 10:29:59 am »
       Lis...  your daily struggle is enough stress on you.  Do not add any other issues to your plate.  I for one have the utmost respect for what you go through.   

Lis i agree with Thomas. You are much loved and respected here.

Hugs
Teresa
I am always missing something......why is LIs thinking she is "most hated", for gosh sake we all love her.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline dad1216

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2007, 10:31:17 am »
Please read Tim's Blog

http://blogs.poz.com/tim/
23 years HIV+ (Oct 88)
11 years AIDS (March 00)

CD4=83  VL=47,000  (May 2011)
CD4=63  VL=78,470  (Oct 2010)
Prezista..Norvir..Truvada

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:25 am »
Please read Tim's Blog

http://blogs.poz.com/tim/

Yup, and read the comments too
http://blogs.poz.com/tim/archives/2007/01/hiv_lite.html#comments

And remember, "we need diversity of opinion" here from people who aren't sneaks!!!! Check it out!  :D
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=7444.msg87837#msg87837

Thank heavens for time-stamped edits!!!!!

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:06 pm »
Alex it's obvious your intent is to perpetuate a fight with me and flame-bait me into some juvenile game. You're going to have to do better than pasting a link to a post of mine and cry foul because I edited it.

The horror I edited a post!

Blasphemy I tell ya!

How dare I edit a post!

Following your bizarre game is like taking a trip to the Twilight Zone.

I've wondered why you suddenly wanted to start a fight when just a month or so ago you were telling me all glowingly how you agree with me and talking all psychoanalytical about the people you now suddenly agree with.

I guess it's true what others have told me that your 360 transformation and fight starting probably has more to do with my stances in the Eldon saga that you took as an attack against you. You really need to get a life and stop wasting everyone's time with your pathetic vendetta.

Hugs and kisses :)
Mikey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2007, 03:41:29 pm »
I sense a "lock" coming soon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.