Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 227
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Isentress and Truvada tomorrow  (Read 27525 times)

Offline Sweet_C

Starting Isentress and Truvada tomorrow
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:07 pm »
I was recently diagnosed and while my labs are still good, I wanted to start treatment early.  It seems like there are less side effects with this Isentress than the others so I'm happy about that, even though I was hoping to get on a once-a-day combo.  Also, I like that it doesn't have to be taken with food.

I had gone in thinking I was going to go with a combo of Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada but I didn't realize the Norivir had to be refrigerated.  I was afraid of leaving it out somewhere or not having access to a fridge.  Maybe it wouldn't have been an issue, but I was afraid it might be a hassle.

The only thing I'm worried about with this combo is that it is so new, especially since I hope to have children someday.  But since that is probably still some time off, I'll just have to see how that goes.  It seems no one really knows the long terms effects of most drugs anyway.   
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: Starting Isentress and Truvada tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:38:54 pm »
Hi Sweet,

I am on Isentress and Truvada.  I haven't had any side effects ( WOW..I am so amazed!) and I really like the fact that I don't have to take either one with food.  I was on Kaletra, Ziagen and Videx for the past 7 years and my cholesterol was out of control, even taking Lipitor. 
Since I started the new meds, my cholesterol is back to normal and everything is in check.  Best combo I've taken so far.
I hope it works just as well for you...

rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:43:29 pm »

I had gone in thinking I was going to go with a combo of Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada but I didn't realize the Norivir had to be refrigerated.  I was afraid of leaving it out somewhere or not having access to a fridge.  Maybe it wouldn't have been an issue, but I was afraid it might be a hassle.

Incorrect.  Norvir only needs to be refrigerated if it's going to stand longer than 30 days.  Therefore your normal month supply need not be refrigerated.

Otherwise I've been on Isentress for a year now.  No side effects, excellent lab results.  It's by far the best HIV med I've taken during 15 years on treatment.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
Incorrect.  Norvir only needs to be refrigerated if it's going to stand longer than 30 days.  Therefore your normal month supply need not be refrigerated.

Otherwise I've been on Isentress for a year now.  No side effects, excellent lab results.  It's by far the best HIV med I've taken during 15 years on treatment.

I've been on Isentress, Travada, and Norvir, for well over 3 yrs. No side effects, excellent lab results  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:04:19 pm »
I'm so glad to hear that Isentress is so well tolerated!  I hope I get good results with it too.

Philly--Wow...I really like my doc but I'm a little concerned that she would leave a little detail like that out because it was a major reason I chose Isentress over the other combo.  I'm still happy with my choice but, man....

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:34:48 am »
Don't be too hard on your doc, Sweet_C.

Philly is absolutely correct but Abbott the maker of the drug still recommends refrigeration even though it says it isn't required if used within 30days and kept away from light and heat.  Still if you get your meds in 90 day supply you do need to refrigerate the Norvir capsules.  The liquid form of Norvir doesn't need to be kept cool but it is truly disgusting!

Another consideration of your doctors may have been that Norvir should also be taken with food and Truvada and Isentress don't require food so it might be easier to fit into your lifestyle.

Best of Luck!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:41:25 am »
i'm sure you'll find it an easy combo to be on, sweetc, iwth minimal side effects. i always found truvada best taken with some food to reduce GI effects.

i know they just changed guidelines ot include prezista, but i thought isentress hadn't yet been licensed for treatment naive/drug sensitive use? (although it has performed very well in comparison trials with sustiva)
 just wondering if your dr explained this to you, & what his reasoning was for prescribing - esp as a) i would guess isentress is a more expensive option than other first line drugs? & b)i htink in other posts you have mentioned wanting to become pregnant in the near future - isentress is a category c drug at the moment

kate
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:24:43 am by penguin »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:48 pm »
Technically, Kate you are correct -- Isentress has not been approved yet as a first line treatment in the US, but doctors can at their discretion still prescribe for such as "off label" like they can pretty much anything.  The retail cost in the US for Isentress is ~$9,900/yr.  But I agree, if you have pregnancy concerns you need to look into using this more as Kate ever so wisely suggests.

Swee_C, I agree and I'd be a bit concerned if my doctor wasn't aware of what they were saying as regards refrigeration of Norvir, as it's a very commonly prescribed HIV medication and used as a booster with so many things.  This is not some obscure thing in terms of treatment.  Frankly I'd ask the doctor one more time, to make sure you heard him/her correctly, and then direct them to the Abbott web site with the proper information and ask them to explain the discrepancy.  Then I'd look for a new doctor.  I'm sorry if that sounds harsh or alarmist, because I'm not that type of person (which is why I recommend making sure that what you think you heard is what your doctor actually said), but getting the correct information is indicative of an informed doctor, and as an HIV patient you must always insist on a doctor that is informed.  Information changes to quickly with this disease to be complacent with that.

Maybe they made their recommendation based on other things, like that you live in the South where it gets hot during the summer and perhaps they didn't think you run an air conditioner or something.  It is true that Norvir is a gel cap that should not be stored in a place that experiences +77°F within that 30-day period.  Like the other poster said above, if you were to order a 3-month supply at one time you'd store the excess two months in a fridge until you are ready to use them.

The bottom line is that all this in no way effects your life unless you don't run an A/C in the summer.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
I have been thinking of switching my treatment from Atripla over to Isentress, Travada. My numbers have been very good with Atripla, but I do have some sleep issues with it. I have been on Sustiva/Truvada ie Atripla for 3 1/2 years, and have been concerned that if is switch over to Isentress I could be using up a med that would work if Sustiva failed. So I have been toughing it out. The sleep issue is bothersome at times and I also feel a little spacey when up to long after I take it.

My ID doctor told me to switch over for a month and see how I like it, and said if I wanted to switch back to Atripla I always could. I am just hung up on the idea of using a med that would counteract any resistance if it came about with the sustiva.  :-\
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
Now I'm really starting to get concerned about my doc.  Do you all think I should consider switching treatment options? 

My doc went over the pros and cons of each of the treatment options with me.  I liked the Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir combo because it was once a day, even though I was a little concerned about my eyes turning yellow.  We talked about that a bit and I finally decided  I would try it out and if I noticed any yellowing, I could switch to something else. 

Then after all that, that's when she mentioned the refrigeration issue.  I feel really misled because she even asked me why refrigeration was an issue for me and I told her it's because I'm on the go a lot and didn't think I could guarantee that I would always have access to a fridge at a certain time a day.  Then she told me that it was o.k. to leave it out for 24 hour periods, but that I should put it back in the fridge.  So I was left thinking it was like leaving milk out on the counter and I told her I couldn't do it.

I do live in GA, so she might have been erring on the side of caution, but I think she really should have given me the whole truth about it.  I think she likes to assume that her patients are not going to follow instructions exactly and wants to make it sound like the rules are more strict than they really are.

Because of the refrigeration issue, I said I wanted to go with my second choice option, which I think was Viramune.  She had told me that this drug had led to some serious liver issues in some women, but I just didn't feel like I could manage refrigerating the Norivir. 

That's when she steered me toward the Isentress.  She told me it was new.  I didn't realize it wasn't approved for people just starting treatment.    She spoke very highly of it because it is tolerated so well by most people. 

We also talked about the pregnancy issues and the fact that there's no information about whether it's safe during pregnancy.  It will probably be at least a year before I even start trying to get pregnant, so she felt there may be more info about it by that time.  She mentioned that a lot of women have healthy babies even while on atripla.  So I was left thinking that this was something that can be worked out in the future.

I like her as a doctor because I feel really comfortable with her.  I'd like to believe that she just likes to be super cautious about everything, but now the fda approval issue is worrying me.  

What do you all think??  I'm supposed to go back to her in two weeks. I haven't had any side effects so far after two days on this combo.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 11:18:46 pm »
Sweet c,

If this is your first line of therapy you might want to consider Atripla. I do know that it is one of the recommended first line of therapy's. I have done really well on it, but the only complaint I have is the sleep issue at times.  Also I spoke to my ID doctor about Isentress and Truvada and he told me that they are doing a study right now for naive treament patients that will enable them to take Isentress and Truvada with 1 pill per day like Atripla. You might want to check that out as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:22:32 pm by MYSTERY »
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:57:30 pm »
About Norvir

I live in GA as well, and am aware of the heat and humidity that often exists here. That having been said, Norvir does NOT need refrigeration unless the ambient temperature is going to be well above 75-80 degrees for extended periods of time. My Norvir stays on my kitchen cabinet all month, and I have never had a melt. Then again, I am NOT a warm weather guy, and I keep my place relatively dark and cool (70 is warm for me).

I would not recommend leaving it in your car, or in a purse in your car all day (or even a few hours) because a melted Norvir is relatively useless, and pretty expensive. If your regimen is once a day, then taking it in the morning and then leaving it at home, I honestly don't see the problem.

As for the Reyataz

You DO know that, in the case of eyes turning yellow (which is not a given; only some people experience that effect) it is a temporary side effect that rarely lasts more than a couple of weeks. If your eyes turn yellow, it will most likely pass, and quickly. As far as complications from treatment go, this is VERY mild.

Atripla can be a good choice, provided you react well to the Sustiva portion of the drug, and be monitored for possible liver interactions. As a female, some attention should be paid to your bone density over the long term as well.

And we ARE talking long term here. Years, perhaps decades. During which you Can have a family, pursue a career, and enjoy a life without a decline in your immune system.

It sucks to get HIV, and it sucks to have to choose to take these powerful, potent medications. But here, in 2008, the odds are decidedly in your favor. Temporary weird dreams and temporary yellowing of the eyes is a small price, considering the horrors of a decade ago.

Your options are yours, and your doctor seems sound.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 02:37:46 pm »
It seems to me that from Sweet's last post that she went ahead and started this Isentress regimen, so maybe it's a good idea to just stick with it for now.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:47:36 pm »
Thanks, philly, I had neglected to notice that. Isentress is a great drug, if a bit on the unforgiving side, as far as dosing goes (I am sure that improvements in that direction will be made).

I fully agree that once a decision is made regarding first live therapy, it should be adhered to as long as possible, efficacy and side effect tolerance notwithstanding.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:45 pm »
O.K.  I'll stick with the Isentress unless some bad information comes in about it.  So far so good.  If they get a one pill a day option for it, I'll be in heaven!

Atripla sounds super convenient but my doc won't prescribe it to women who are of childbearing age. 

I don't know what I would do without all of you.  I had gotten really overwhelmed trying to read up on all different treatment options. 

Thanks everyone.  I feel so much better now both about the drugs and my doc.  After thinking it over, I think if there were a huge concern about this drug, my doc wouldn't prescribe it to me.  She seems super cautious.   

I was in really good spirits today now that I've started taking these meds.  Even though my numbers are still good, I hated thinking about this virus being in my system, multiplying and not doing anything about it.  I was on edge everytime someone coughed or sneezed.  It's just been a

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 05:59:44 am »
Good luck with starting your meds.

I'm glad you feel better about your doctor.  Always remember they are working for you and if you aren't sure of something they said ask them to explain it another way.  Sometimes it's helpful to write down any questions you might have and bring the list in with you on your visits.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:46:08 am »
I haven't felt any side effects at all yet!  ;D 

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 02:28:11 am »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 11:47:09 am »
I am thinking about starting this combo because I have been on Truvada/Kaletra for over 2 years and I am starting to see signs of LIPO so I am glad to hear you guys are doing well on it.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »
Norvir refrigeration has been a slight pain in the butt, but what I found harder was the coordination of the shipping to intercept the package.  However, to ease your fears regarding the refrigeration of the Norvir Capsules, a new tablet is soon to be released.  Please read the following:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_norvir_tablet_2211_15142.shtml
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline coiyass

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »
Hello I am on Truvada and Isentress and I do not have any side effects. i have been on them for a few months now. Before this I was on Atripla and boy where those side effects awful. I puked every morning after taking Atripla. The only good thing about that med is its once a day.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 12:08:17 am »
As dreadful and unforgiving drugs whose long term side effects are still largely unknown go, Isentress is my favorite so far.

Isentress and Truvada, to the best of my ability to asertain, rock. I have tried Kaletra, Sustiva, Crixovan, Viracept, Virammune, any/all incarnations of AZT, and about ten others who escape me. I do get a slight headache from Isentress, but it responds well to ibuprofen or tylenol or sleep or taking it out on a stranger on the internet.

Jonathan
/on Isentress, Truvada, Prezista, Norvir, and associated peripheral drugs to stave off the OIs.

Welcome Thread

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 12:18:21 am »
I am starting this combo tomorrow also. If all goes well: goodbye Kaletra (4 pills a day on top of 2-4 imodium)!!
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline tag_man08

• Keep Dreaming!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 12:58:20 am »
I am starting this combo tomorrow also. If all goes well: goodbye Kaletra (4 pills a day on top of 2-4 imodium)!!

I started the Isentress/Truvada combo on friday....so far no side effects....maybe a headache every now and then....but its very minor...But after reading the other posts...I think I did read that Isentress does cause headache's....Good Luck starting......
08/30/07:  The HIV diagnosis...
09/07/07:  CD4 299 (21%)  VL 160K
01/07/08:  CD4 396 (26%)  VL 125K
04/21/08:  CD4 478 (25%)  VL 92K
09/03/08:  CD4 313 (23%)  VL 10K
11/03/08:  CD4 338 (23%)  VL 30K
11/21/08:  Isentress & Truvada
12/05/08:  CD4 485 (29%)  VL  undetectable in two weeks
03/13/09:  CD4 575 (30%)  VL  undetectable

Offline a2z

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 05:15:31 am »
I started the Isentress/Truvada combo on friday....so far no side effects....maybe a headache every now and then....but its very minor...But after reading the other posts...I think I did read that Isentress does cause headache's....Good Luck starting......

Good luck and keep us posted.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 11:58:32 am »
I had a few headaches when I began Isentress, but they were very minimal if I keep in mind that I've often gotten headaches when I've begun ANY new HIV combo.  As they were minimal aspirin was sufficient, and after 2 months they never recurred.

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »
I'm fortunate I haven't had any headaches since I've been taking this medication. I've had frequent headaches in the past but so far so good! 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 01:27:56 pm »
I should say that my headaches were so minimal that there's not really a responsible way for me to connect it with Isentress.  Feasible yes, but nothing to write home about.

Offline dj

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:04 pm »
I also stated Isentress / Truvada recently as my first meds.  My labs have been OK, but I knew it was time to start.  My side effects have been minimal, a few headaches that have been addressed with Advil.  This forum has been a great resource for me, thanks for sharing.

Offline joshyaker

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:30 am »
I actually am on Sustiva, Viread, and Ziagen for 3 years, which is my first regimen. I am happy with the lab results, but my doctor was concerned with the new Ziagen findings and I am fed up with the Sustiva side effects, especially since I am a graduate student. All these concerns have been addressed as I am switching to Isentress/Truvada. I already picked up the drugs and are waiting to run out of the other pills before I start the new regimen. I am anxious and just want to start already. I have about a week and a half left, but am ready to switch.

I was really concerned about switching, since I feel the regimen ultimately works, but my doctor assures me that I should not develop resistance to Sustiva from switching. I have been 100% compliant in taking my medication, never missing a dose, so hopefully I can keep this up with the twice a day my new regimen will require. I am really looking forward to clearing my head from Sustiva and can't wait. I wish I would just start tomorrow.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 03:05:14 am »
I will probably be switching to Isntress in the near future because I cannot get my lipids under control with the Norvir and Lexiva I now take.

It is probably more the Norvir, but I digress.

While I loathe switching meds, there are times when it is necessary.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline markaj

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 03:32:14 am »
I've been on this combo for 7 months and can't think of one side effect I've had.
Infected Jan 08 / diagnosed Feb 08
Feb 08 - CD4 230 (9%) VL 3.5 million
Mar 08 - CD4 440 (6%) VL 660.000
Apr 08 - CD4 420 (11%) VL 3 million
Jun 08 - CD4 200 (7%) VL 3 million
Started Kaletra/Truvada Jul 08
Jul 08  - CD4 250 (14%) VL 23.893
Aug 08 - CD4 410 (15%)  VL 4.313
Switched to Sustiva/Truvada Aug 08
Switched to Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada Sep 08
Diagnosed with Hep C, HIV meds stopped for a bit
Nov 08 - CD4 414 (12%) VL 500.000+
Started Isentress/Truvada Nov 2008
Dec 08 - CD4 381 (17%) VL 1.116
Jan 09 - CD4 534 (20%) VL <50
Started Interferon/Ribavirin Jan 09
Feb 09 - CD4 407 (24%) VL <50
Mar 09 - CD4 360 (28%) VL <50
Apr 09 - CD4 279 (30%) VL <50
Jun 09 - CD4 298 (36%) VL <50
Aug 09 - CD4 303 (35%) VL <50

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 11:21:17 am »
Been on this combo for the last 3 1/2 yrs...........Good luck with that, you should be fine  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »
I recenty started taking Instress, 2x daily, only side effects I get is tiredness, I was switched to Kaletra 6 pills a day and insentress, your right about the frequent bathroom visits from Kaletra
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:35:46 pm by BUZZCUTT »
Buzz ♥

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:28 am »
Be careful with "not storing" the Norvir in a fridge. I live in a tropical area (PR) and always put my Norvir & Aptivus (both gelcaps) in a small office fridge I bought for my bedroom. Daily temperatures frequently rise above the indicated numbers on the bottles here and they do turn soggy in the heat. A friend from NY came a while back and mentioned that he couldn't store his meds in a fridge while visiting his parents who don't know about his case. I offered my fridge for his days on the island and by the time he brought me his bottle they were very soft almost about to pop. I had never seen them like this. I do know they hold their consistency pretty good but just don't leave them exposed too long in warm temperatures.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:36 am »
Abbot submitted their new heat resistant formulation of Norvir to the FDA in January, so please keep in mind this should be available soon.  Also, Gilead is currently testing a new "Norvir booster replacement" called GS-9350 that neither requires refrigeration, but also shouldn't give your any diarrhea (for those that get it from Norvir like me) and should be better on one's lipid panel.  I plan on going on a clinical study for this very soon, but that's also an option to look into.  There's also a third booster replacement called SPI-452 being tested by a small company called Sequoia Pharmaceuticals.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_norvir_ritonavir_1667_16021.shtml

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2009/02/gilead_plans_to.html

Offline GreggTenn

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »
i am thinking about starting the isentress/truvada combo.
but i am on Acyclovir for herpes supression and shingles suppression.
I searched the web and it says that there could be interactions between acyclovir with truvada or any meds containing tenofovir.
Is there anyone here on this forum that is taking both Acyclovir and a med with Tenofovir?
If so, have you had any side effects?
thanks!
Infected/dianosed: Early 1996
early 1996: CD4=495 Viral=less than 200.
between 1996-2007: CD4=336-495 Viral=58,000-22,000.
2004?: Tried Combivir/Viramune for less than one month, which resulted in severe liver failure from toxicity. Discontinued all meds.
June 2007: CD4=350 Viral=22,000.
Nov.2007: CD4=466 Viral=79,700.
Feb. 2008: CD4=284 Viral=58,000.
No test in 2009
April 2010: CD4=266 Viral=9,970.
Thinking of starting combo in May 2010?

Offline GreggTenn

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 05:07:56 pm »
i am thinking about starting the isentress/truvada combo.
but i am on Acyclovir for herpes supression and shingles suppression.
I searched the web and it says that there could be interactions between acyclovir with truvada or any meds containing tenofovir.
Is there anyone here on this forum that is taking both Acyclovir and a med with Tenofovir?
If so, have you had any side effects?
thanks!
2004?: Tried Combivir/Viramune for less than one month, which resulted in severe liver failure from toxicity. Discontinued all meds.
No test in 2009

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 03:01:50 pm »
The only thing I'm worried about with this combo is that it is so new, especially since I hope to have children someday...

Sweet C:

Well, depends on your definition of new. I've successfully taken Isentress + Truvada for 17 months with (expected) great results. My good friend, a "salvage patient" poz a quarter century, has successfully been on the same regimen for about 3 years (Thousands enrolled in clinical trials, long before general "release"). So, I'd say it's not exactly "new" any more.

Good health!
-Steven (aka   8)  megasept)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:57:49 am by megasept »

Offline GreggTenn

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:01 pm »
A couple of people have sent me messages. But i am sorry but i cannot find how to read them.
I have read and read the help section and i have done everything correct and still cannot read my messages. Perhaps it just doesnt' work with this computer. It's public so i can't change settings.
ANYWAYS, I just wanted everyone to know that my doctor said that he has many people on acyclovir who are taking Isentress and Truvada. He has only had 2 people with the kidney interaction side effect on this 3 med combo. He believes i would be safe with it.
However, He is giving me 8 more weeks to try to bring my CD4 counts in line via my perferred natural alternative treatments.
Will keep posted. Thanks. Love, GreggTenn
No test in 2009

Offline GreggTenn

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:07 pm »
ok, now i see my messages. thanks.
No test in 2009

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.