Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 364
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: quick help please  (Read 7121 times)

Offline ryaaaa

quick help please
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:05:17 pm »
Hello im a 20 year old male, and had 2 encounters with the same girl with an unknown status within a month ago and over the past days am experiencing a number of different symptoms. My first symptom was tender lymph nodes in my neck that lasted a couple of days and having night sweats also for a couple. Then i had a small congestion and a sore throat with a general feeling of just knowing somehting was wrong also i do not look healthy my eyes are very drawn and discolored. and i am feeling stiff in neck and lower back please help i am really panicking over this and want to know how symptoms of the initial infection would come about how strong how long they would last and all this. Thank you so much

Offline ryaaaa

Re: Really worried because of symptoms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:06:00 pm »
My feet get clammy as well, and the sex was unprotected

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:12:38 pm »
And there is something i feel like it is stuck in my throat when i cough it came on with the sore throat then after that calmed down it is still there i feel it in my esophagus

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:27:00 pm »
Please clarify specifically what you mean by "two encounters" with that girl. Was it just sexual play or did you have either vaginal and/or anal intercourse?
Andy Velez

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »
vaginal both times

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »
and now im feeling real bad wrist pain

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:58 pm »
OK, well unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are definitely risks for HIV. In fact they are the only two confirmed risks for the sexual transmisson of HIV.

So you do need to get tested. You can do it initially at 6 weeks after the most recent incident. If you test negative you still need to re-test at 3 months to confirm your negative status. If you test negative at 6 weeks the likelihood is that you are going to continue to test negative.

HIV is harder to transmit from female to male rather than the other way around. So that is in your favor that you will test negative. But in the future you need to always be using a condom for either vaginal or anal intercourse. No exceptions no matter what you think you know about your partner's history or anything else. Condoms are a must.

As far as your symptoms are concerned, swollen lymph nodes happen for all sorts of reasons. Keep your hands off of them as squeezing them can cause problems. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor. And wrist pain is not an HIV-related pain.

Good luck with your tests.

Andy Velez

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:13:20 pm »
Im not trying to disagree with you, i thank you for all of what you said but on a couple of sites it has said that joint pain like wrist pain is a early sign of HIV infection are you sure that it is not at all?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »
Im not trying to disagree with you, i thank you for all of what you said but on a couple of sites it has said that joint pain like wrist pain is a early sign of HIV infection are you sure that it is not at all?
If one has ARS symptoms that are a multitude of symptoms not just pain in your joints.

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »
So i wouldnt have one thing one day then different things other days?

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »
because i have had many other symptoms that really make me worried and theyve all been in a very short amount of time, not to mention complete malaise

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
So i wouldnt have one thing one day then different things other days?
No, they come all at the same time and all leave at the same time.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26:49 am »
ARS, the syndrome that sometimes (though far from always) accompanies early HIV infection. It is NOT an artifact of HIV in the body - rather it is YOUR body's immune system responding to the infection.

This is why it's so difficult to use symptoms to diagnose HIV infection. YOUR body will react differently to ANY virus, not just HIV. One person's flu is NOT another person's flu necessarily for that very reason.

In the vast majority of cases, ARS symptoms, when they happen, are notable. And they last between one to two weeks. Then they completely go away, because your body has already created the antibodies. The dance of HIV infection has begun. And it is often YEARS before the immune system is depleted enough to cause issues.

HIV is NOT something any competent doctor can START to diagnose through symptoms. Especially smack in the middle of cold and flu season.

PLEASE don't pay attention to the asinine web site that state X X and Y as "symptoms" of HIV infection. HIV infection can occur in the total absence of symptoms. It often does.

Even AIDS, the Syndrome, encompasses over 200 different opportunistic infections. Many of which happen to people who are not compromised with HIV. The only way to determine HIV is through an antibody test three months past your last unprotected sexual exposure.

I wish there were reliable shortcuts. Or telltale signs. Sadly, we are dealing with a pathogen that provides neither.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:01 am »
You would also be doing yourself a big favor by not surfing the net for an answer that only an HIV test taken at the right time can give you. On the net you will only find more fuel to feed your worst fears and all to no good purpose.

If you test negative at 6 weeks then you will likely continue to test negative at 3 months. That's what I recommend that  you do.
Andy Velez

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
Is vein pulsating and/or muscle twitching or anything like that a symptom

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »
Is vein pulsating and/or muscle twitching or anything like that a symptom
No.

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 04:16:02 pm »
so if i still have a stiff neck but mostly everything else has calmed down Is it still a possibility that this is ARS thanks for your time

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 05:21:26 pm »
No, it is not. If noticeable ARS symptoms occur, they all come on at the same time and go at the same time. You are NOT experiencing ARS. There is nothing HIV-specific about anything you are reporting.

Unfortunately on the web you can find all kinds of inaccurate misinformation to feed your fears that call everything in the world another HIV symptom.
Andy Velez

Offline ryaaaa

quick help please
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:46 pm »
warm and clammy hands, and extremeley cold and clammy feet. is this an HIV indicator?

Offline RapidRod

Re: quick help please
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »
No.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 07:11:44 am »
Rya,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Neither symptoms nor the lack of symptoms will tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Clammy hands and feet are symptoms of stress and anxiety, NOT hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ryaaaa

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 02:06:11 am »
when are the appropriate times?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 04:20:13 am »
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 06:24:17 am »

So you do need to get tested. You can do it initially at 6 weeks after the most recent incident. If you test negative you still need to re-test at 3 months to confirm your negative status. If you test negative at 6 weeks the likelihood is that you are going to continue to test negative.

Ryaaa,

You need to re-read your entire thread before jumping on here and asking questions to which we have already given the answer.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.