Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:29:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 716
Total: 716

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva and Other Drug Combos  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Pavementlion

Sustiva and Other Drug Combos
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:11 pm »
The main question I am asking is, what are some suggested combos (I know there's no ultimate choice) and what are the pros and cons of the combo?  Share any personal experiences.
I've been on Sustiva Truvada for 4 months now and I don't think I can take it anymore.  I wake up every morning feeling like shit and I haven't slept for days, and I get anxious and depressed and antisocial and worried.  I'm not willing to have this beast run my life, so I'm thinking about changing, but am scared about the side effects of PI's.  I know that reyataz is the preferred PI, but aren't there a lot of stomach problems with that?  Also, I know that the positive about Sustiva is it hits the CNS and slows HIV progression in the brain, definitely a positive because HIV dementia is a very scary thing to me (since it is irreversible and i am only 20).  Anyone got any ideas for other drug combos?

Offline ARMANDO

Re: Sustiva and Other Drug Combos
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:15:16 pm »
i too was on sustiva and couldn't handle it .my doc and changed my meds to norvir ,lexiva and truvada and its been great and i am undectectable a nd have remained so for 2 years

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:13:22 am »
Hello ,

I have never been on Sustiva, so I can't comment on the side effects of that drug. I am on the other Non-nuke ( Viramune). I have very little problem with the Viramune.

From the lessons : ( scroll down)

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/WhenToStart_4759.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10:16 pm »
i will be talking to my doctor this week about a switch from Atripla. i've been on it 9 months and can't handle it anymore. i'm going to talk to him about Viramune but worry my cd4 is too high 794. i was only hoping to switch out sustiva but i might see if Epizicom and Reyataz is an option but i refuse Norvir boosting anything. so i really don't know what he is going to recommend but i hate sustiva!
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Cseanr

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:33:22 am »
My regime consists of sustiva and epzicom.  I'm constantly anxious, depressed, on edge, ready to fight ... wake up feeling like I'm still dreaming...alot of it, from what I've read results from sustiva.  I plan on talking with my doctor about changing my regimen because the depression is way too extreme for me, and I've only been on these for 8 months.  Each month is worse and worse for me.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 04:02:47 am »
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/WhenToStart_4759.shtml

this chart really is the current front line guidelines. So there are excellent options other than sustiva, in the PI ranks.

Kaletra Based

and

reyataz based.

If I go on meds this year too would look at the unboosted reyataz option. reyataz + epzicom.

My doc is hopeful that the integrase options coming up will make it to front line and will be hopefully better and more tolerable than even the good stuff today.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline suzieque

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 06:59:10 am »

Hi,
       Everybody is different, hard to say what will be the right thing for you, but as long as you are fairly stable healthwise I don't see any reason why you couldn't  change. I have changed many times, all successfully in regards to controlling the virus. I am now on a solely PI based combo, Reyataz, Saquinavir and Ritonavir booster ( interested why some of you are really against Ritonavir booster?). This is due to lipoatrophy from other combo's for me. I know all side effects are worrying, you almost have to take a try it and see approach, be diligent and if you experience lasting side effects don't be afraid to talk to your doc about it and ask for a change in meds ( if you are fortunate enough to be able to do so). Personally I have found PI's easy to tolerate, no stomach issues after the first week or so. Sustiva was a NIGHTMARE for me, and as I have mentioned in my other posts it is my docs last choice of med as he has seen so many people suffer with side effects. As for the HIV dementia, in 14 years I have only seen this occur in one person and this was due to him having resistance to many meds (from poor adherence) and complications from severe drug use.I don't worry about it at all, maybe others have different views/experiences. I know people who take no meds and have super low CD4's and no dementia.
            Best wishes to you,
                      Suzie

ps antibody...I am interested as to why you are on meds with such a high CD4 count, if you don't mind sharing this with me?

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
If I'm tyring to limit myself as much as i can from PI's that have Fat "issues" associated with them for a first
line treatment, which norvir is one of thoses. Reyataz needs to be boosted with certain ARV drugs because the action in the Liver lowers the concentration of the PI in the blood. So you can have a ine of Treatment with Reyataz that does not require another pill and another expense because of the nature of the combo.

Not the Epzicom is perfect, but if your Kidney's can tolerate it, which most people can, this becomes simplier drug regemine then say, Reyataz, Truvada, Norvir.

I am not against norvir, if you need it because of the combo, you need it.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.