Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:01:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 214
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moldy Bread  (Read 8428 times)

Offline bear60

Moldy Bread
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »
Kurt wont eat any bread that has a spot of mold on it.  We bought some nice fresh rolls last week and they didnt all get used, and a few spots of mold appeared.
I get upset when he throws out what I consider to be "day old" bread.  It just takes a flick of a knife and the mold is gone.
Am I being reckless and endangering our health if we use bread with a spot of mold on it?  I know what really moldy bread looks like...you cant see the bread for the mold.  But this is just a spot!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Moldy Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »
I flick it off cheese, but don't run into the problem with bread because I always keep it in the fridge. Anyway, you know you're not going to make Kurt do something he doesn't want to so why try? :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »
Oh yea, Kurt wont be pursuaded to do anything he doesnt want to do.  I suppose I'm lucky he has no taste for raw anything....sushi or tartar etc.  If he has a flaw its cooking everything well done.
But we have a subscription to BON APETIT, so I'm trying.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »
Joel, try putting your left over bread into the freezer, it will keep even longer, we only take out what we need, and re-freeze the rest, it keeps nicely that way  ;) haven't you taught dear ole Kurt how to be frugal yet  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »
If he has a flaw its cooking everything well done.

How dreadful, my dear. Steaks should be medium rare at most.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:55 am »
Oh yea, Kurt wont be pursuaded to do anything he doesnt want to do.  I suppose I'm lucky he has no taste for raw anything....sushi or tartar etc.  If he has a flaw its cooking everything well done.
But we have a subscription to BON APETIT, so I'm trying.

I concur with Kurt's way of cooking.  Sushi?  Ha, we consider that fancy bait here in these parts.   The only thing they use tartar for around here is for deep fried fish patties.   And no, I would never salvage anything that had a fleck of mold on it.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »
The leftover issue has been the hardest one to get him to compromise on.  When we first started living together, we ate a meal and all left overs were thrown out.  Now, 18 years later, he is willing to cook a beef stew and have it for more than one meal.  Or a turkey breast and make it do two meals. 
The "well done"  cooking is still a problem.  He makes shish ka bob on the grill and those little pieces of meat are so hard you can break a tooth on em.  He makes a mean chili.  That makes several meals.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:21:30 pm by bear60 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »
1) is this some left-over mental thing to time when his cd4 counts were really low and he was worried about picking up something easily? I was more food-paranoid then, but never to the level Kurt is about left overs.

2) so if he likes his grilled meat done well, what prevents him from cooking yours for half of the time? Tell him to yank yours off early if he's doing the cooking? Why is there any drama in that?

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 02:25:36 pm »
Joel, it sound like you got that left-over food thing under control  ;)

Bob's like well done steak, I like it med rare, he hate any kinda fish, I love all kinds of fish, bob's so dam northern NY Irish Catholic, it makes me sick @ times

however we can always come to a compromise of Food, I do most of the cooking
(He sucks @ it) guess he didn't follow his mama around the kitchen when he was
a little boy like I did, so I guess he didn't learn how to cook very well  ::)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »
no drama
I think I just needed to vent a little

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »
no drama
I think I just needed to vent a little

@ least Kurt cooks 4 u, so be glad for that , wish I could say the same  ;)

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:12:17 pm »
Dennis
Believe me I am not complaining..... because I did all the cooking for Paul, my former partner.  It wasnt easy.  For a while there we ate only macrobiotic cause he thought it would cure him of HIV.  When he came out of the hospital after PCP...and did that aerosolized pentamidine....even the smell of macrobiotic cooking turned his stomach.  So I switched to soups and stuff like hamburger helper.
Luckily he liked what I cooked.
Then Kurt came along and banished me from the kitchen. lol

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »
Dennis
Believe me I am not complaining..... because I did all the cooking for Paul, my former partner.  It wasnt easy.  For a while there we ate only macrobiotic cause he thought it would cure him of HIV.  When he came out of the hospital after PCP...and did that aerosolized pentamidine....even the smell of macrobiotic cooking turned his stomach.  So I switched to soups and stuff like hamburger helper.
Luckily he liked what I cooked.
Then Kurt came along and banished me from the kitchen. lol

That's funny Joel, Kurt banished you for the kitchen  ;) awe now that that sweet, bob can cook, just not anything I like to eat, he so meat & potatoes and as I said before, very northern NY Irish Catholic, he's got
big fingers & blue NY-Eyes, and a big D**ck too and likes to play as rough as I do  ;D just a  couple of old 55 yr old queer farts, here, nothing more  ;)

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »
See if he'll compromise...he leaves the moldy bread alone and you let him throw out the moldy meat.

I hate left overs...but then I only cook for myself so there really aren't any. Luckily my two partners didn't care for left overs that much either. Guess I'll cross that bridge again when I manage to find some man I want to settle in with.

Good luck!
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:11 pm »
One thing I'm picky about is that I don't buy meat and then put it in a freezer, then thaw it down the road.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:16 am »
In my case, it is a bit different. Gluten free bread has to be refrigerated. I usually make all my own bread, because the store-bought bread is not all that wonderful.

My home made bread will keep for up to a week in the fridge, although any longer, and it starts to grow an odd stuff on it that probably is a fungus, but isn't green.

I do cut the mold off of cheese.

As for meat, I like beef and lamb to be medium rare. I still like my pork fully cooked, but not murdered.

The exception for me is game meat, which I do make sure is fully cooked. There is too much chance for parasites, etc., from game meat for me to trust medium rare.

I am with Dennis on the fish. I just love fish, all kinds. I eat it at least three times a week

But I also like sushi and sashimi, although, living where I do, I sometimes wonder. .   :o

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:50 am »
In my case, it is a bit different. Gluten free bread has to be refrigerated. I usually make all my own bread, because the store-bought bread is not all that wonderful.

... unless you live within walking distance of a specialty gluten-free bakery (thought of you when I walked by yesterday as it just opened last month)

http://www.totebakery.com/

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 12:17:02 am »
... unless you live within walking distance of a specialty gluten-free bakery (thought of you when I walked by yesterday as it just opened last month)

http://www.totebakery.com/

Oh my, that would be worth a trip to Philly just for the fresh baked goods.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »
I dont mean to bore you guys but I have given this a lot of thought and I believe David is correct.  Kurt is germophobic.(Dont know if thats a word)
His maintenance of a CLEAN kitchen has everything to do with cleanliness.  We have 3 or 4 cutting thingys ( not wood) for cutting chicken, red meat and another for veggies. Every thing gets cloroxed and washed down. 
So, yea, Kurt is a bit stuck in 1990 perhaps.  Its ok.  We have a very sanitary kitchen.
Mark, please visit Philly. The food here is great.

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:14 pm »
I dont mean to bore you guys but I have given this a lot of thought and I believe David is correct.  Kurt is germophobic.(Dont know if thats a word)
His maintenance of a CLEAN kitchen has everything to do with cleanliness.  We have 3 or 4 cutting thingys ( not wood) for cutting chicken, red meat and another for veggies. Every thing gets cloroxed and washed down. 

Joel, I'm kinda like THIS too, just not to any degree tho, if I left any of this up to Bob we'd both be very sick or maybe even dead, I make him wear rubber gloves if he's gonna touch and prepare/cook any meat  :-*

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »
wow

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.