Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:02:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: being your own best advocate  (Read 2264 times)

Offline wolfter

being your own best advocate
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »
I started a new thread even though it deals with a couple of other posts I've started.  I constantly preach about the necessity of dealing with doctors as if they work for you.  I was reminding myself of this when I became irritated about not following my own directives.

I've been leaving message after message for my surgeon for a week without a call back.  This morning, I started calling every number associated with his facility.  One lady got nasty and asked why I was bothering her as she wasn't even on the same floor.  I indicated I didn't care what floor she was on and just wanted a consult with my doctor.

Finally his receptionist calls me back and my doctor wanted to see me immediately.  The lack of care has been ridiculous at best and I am getting frustrated, almost bordering on depressed.  I feel like my leg is getting worse instead of better.

Of course they ordered more x-rays and I waited for the consult.  The doctor starts out by telling me that my bones are becoming "washy".  Really, is that a technical term?  I indicated that I didn't learn that term in nursing school and asked for an explanation.  He then says my bones are shrinking because of non use.

He then asked a couple of questions that really upset me.  He asked me if I was taking the calcium supplements and how my physical therapy was going.  That's when I really let it spew forth.  I guess I should have known, but he never indicated to take supplements.  He also did not schedule me for therapy although he says he "thought" he did. 

I proceeded to explain that I have been less than happy about the entire communication thing.  I reminded him that I realize that he has 100's of patients to take care of, but I'm only worried about one of them.  I then indicated I wanted an entire copy of my entire medical records including the x-rays in case I felt the need for another opinion.

Instead of getting angry, he seemed intent on interacting with me and answering my questions without that sense of urgency.

I hope this serves as a reminder to others that we don't have to accept less than adequate care and need to speak up and be assertive.

Now I get to actually start therapy this week that the doctor was already under the assumption I was doing.

Wolfie

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: being your own best advocate
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
when something isn't going the way you want it to, rather than sitting around whining and crying about it, you have to get up and do something to make it change.

Good for you on getting up on your bad leg and doing something to make your recovery change and get better. Good luck with the PT and enjoy the supplements. :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
800 mg of calcium citrate daily.  And since I was at the pharmacy anyways, I bought my 1st ever multi vitamin.  My doctor suggested that a while back because of my never ending low electrolyte numbers.  I just couldn't get past that taking a vitamin thing every day for the rest of my life. :o

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:02:31 am »
Wolfie,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your doc.  Indeed, we all have to be our own best advocates.  "Washy?"  Never heard that term, and wouldn't have had a clue what that meant.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:45 am »
geez wolfie,

i can relate to your frustration. only wish i had the balls to deal with my doc that way at times.
hope the calcium speeds your recovery!!
hate when doctors drop the ball. >:(
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:54 am »
I just couldn't get past that taking a vitamin thing every day for the rest of my life. :o
oh noes! LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.