Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 348
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best Scary Movie?  (Read 26091 times)

Offline bear60

Re: Best Scary Movie?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2007, 10:39:10 am »
I wasnt in the mood for vampires and skeletons......so Kurt and I found a nice thriller to watch called FLIGHT PLAN   with Jody Foster.  Really good.  It had both of us on the edge of our seats.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 11:11:45 am »
I finally saw 30 Days of Night last night, bootleg of course... ;D I must say that I liked it and the ending was something I wasn't expecting. I will be adding it to my collection when it comes out on dvd...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 11:55:52 am »
I look forward to 30 days of night coming out on DVD.
I'm not a movie theater girl. People bug me too much in theaters and you cant stop the movie to use the restroom.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 03:35:52 pm »
I'm not a movie theater girl. People bug me too much in theaters and you cant stop the movie to use the restroom.

My thoughts exactly....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Iggy

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 06:14:34 pm »

I agree, but then again there are certain movies that just don't come across as well on the small screen as the big screen- particularly with  with the community factor of people jumping or getting into it....Horror definitely is best watched on the big screen though I would admit I rarely seem them there anymore.

30 days I think may suffer somewhat on the small screen.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2007, 06:30:27 pm »
Okay, three of the scariest movies I think are:

30 Days of Night (yes I actually shrieked out in the theatre, Iggy laughed at me)
Wait Until Dark with Audry Hepburn!
Showgirls...so funny it was scary!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2007, 06:34:17 pm »
Jeromy--- I ought to have Iggy spank you for me just for mentioning Showgirls.... :o I agree with Iggy also that 30 days will not get the credit it deserves. It kept me glued to the tv....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 09:11:55 am »
It takes a lot for me to sit through a horror flick.  It has to be well done, as well as being frightening.  While I'm not an acclaimed critic, here are my faves:

Brahm Stoker's Dracula
Interview With The Vampire
The Omen
Silence of the Lambs

I'm sure there's others, just can't think of them right now. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline perspiry

• Le Comtesse de Vache
    • My Best Fiend
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 10:52:31 am »
Have you seen Bailey's last video blog?  It scared the shit out of me.  ;)

The scariest movie I've seen in years is The Others, which had no gore or gratuitous violence, just good old fashioned things-that-go-bump-in-the-night frights.  I liked 28 Days Later because the gore had a reason and wasn't the entire movie, but 28 Weeks Later was horrid.

Most newer movies (Saw, Wrong Turn, Hostel [a particularly stupid movie with plot holes the QEII and a space shuttle could easily pass through together], The hills have eyes, etc.) bore me with all the gore and not much else.  The first Grudge was somewhat scary with the creepy crawling kid and that irritating clucking sound but the jerky, reverse-filmed move has been copied over and over (like the films about the girl in the well) so has no effect any longer.

Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('56 and '78 versions are classics and the 2007 version was OK), Psycho, the first Nightmare on Elm Street, Carrie, and an old British movie called Dead of Night (an ensemble piece with Sir Michael Redgrave as a ventriloquist whose dummy has a mind of his own) still make me jump.  Most of the gory things only make me sleepy. 

JA
If I'd been thinking I would have chosen Tangina as my forum moniker.

Offline perspiry

• Le Comtesse de Vache
    • My Best Fiend
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 11:01:17 am »
Showgirls...so funny it was scary!

I love that scene in Scream 2 when Jamie Kennedy cites Showgirls as his favorite scary movie a few seconds before the psycho hacks him to pieces.  I also love the scene in Scary Movie when Carmen Whatever-her-name-is states "Kazaam" is her favorite scary movie and the caller says "That's not a scary movie!" and she responds "You haven't seen Shaquille O'Neal act." 

Offline perspiry

• Le Comtesse de Vache
    • My Best Fiend
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2007, 11:14:32 am »
I watched The Exorcist when I was 10yrs old and it fucked me up.  I was the scariest movie I saw.
Nowadays I just turning on the TV and watching Bush and Co. in the White House scares the living hell out of me....
Rich

Yeah, BuschCo is scarier than any movie, I'll grant you that.  As Rosemary Woodhouse exclaims "This isn't a dream!! This is really happening!!!" as she's being fucked by Satan.  I think I know how she felt.

When the Exorcist came out a friend and I dropped acid and sat in the front row and laughed our asses off the entire time.  The only part that made me squirm was when Regan got the spinal tap.  Several people in our row moved after we started giggling and acting up. 

JA

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2007, 04:44:29 pm »
One of the greatest little treasure troves of modern Horror is the Showtime  Masters of Horror collection, which is thankfully available through NetFlix.
The absolute Jewel in the crown, is a little number titled" Imprint " by  Japanese Director Takeshi Miike  known for a style of filmmaking known as "Extreeme Horror" and if you see one of his films, thats just a bit of an understatement. Frankly I was surprised that Showtime was able to air the movie, it would easily have gotten an NC-17 or a flat out X just for the violence. You thing Waterboarding is tough ? Try having a bunch of angry Japanese Geishas shove needles into the roots of your teeth. And thats just the first half... I wouldnt want to spoil it for anyone.

he also directed a pretty damn good thriller, 'OldBoy' which definitely doesnt disappoint....

Another Masters Of Horror episode thats pretty worthy is called' Pelts ' it opens with a rather hot scene with a total studboi comitting suicide by petting his face in a bear trap. Good special effects in that one, and well, youll never look at a raccoon the same way. Or Meatloaf whoturns in a surprisingly good role as a sleazy fur trader.

Next up in the MOH lineup is one of those thats both horrific and funny..' Jennifer '  Hideously deformed from the neck up, but Supermodel Hawt from the neck down and with a bad habit of eating folks, whats not to love about the girl. This is how its Done .... a true classic.

And please dont overlook the movie " Phantasm.' and yes, I had a huge crush on the main character..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 04:51:12 pm by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2007, 05:01:59 pm »
Just Hate to double post, but I just remembered another really good one,, one of the early Jodie Foster movies called "The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane"
its a MUST SEE,  martin sheen plays about the slimy est pedophile in the history of cinema, and Jodie actually Out  Does anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lector, IMHO,
but if you can find it dont just rent it BUY IT

Oh yeah speaking of Slimy pedo's.... grab the restored version of Fritz Langs " M " its almost 70 years old but it could have been taken straight out of the modern headlines. That alone makes it scary as hell. gotta love the ending.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2007, 05:19:39 pm »
I can't believe there's no mention of Karen Black and the infamously frightening Zuni Fetish Doll in Trilogy of Terror.

when I saw this as a kid, it scared the shit out of me.  Heres a clip - if you can find the link to the whole thing post it....it was scary shit - especially back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLa57z1of8

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2007, 05:40:41 pm »
The Sixth Sense - The innocence of a small boy being corrupted by ghosties. yikes!

It - More innocence lost!

Creepshow - The short story The Crate gave me the heebie jeebies. Looked like a ape with nasty teeth LOL

Misery - Kathy Bates is one dirty bird and the cockadoodie way she curses cracks me up. Excellent pick for suspense and madness. 

Resident Evil - Zombies! and the tongue on that one monster eeek!

Pet Semetary - That baby was super creepy. My ankles hurt just thinking about him.

Poltergeist - Innocence lost. Makes you look at jello differently.

The Thing - Makes you paranoid - who did it and who's getting it next?

Alien - Another paranoia movie - where is the monster and who's gonna get killed next?

Jaws - Gotta love a movie that made millions of viewers to scared to swim, even in lakes.

There are a ton more.... These just came to mind first.
The Exorcist - Lost innocence, panic, fear, uneasiness and Christianity. hell of a combo!

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2007, 05:54:02 pm »
As far as being truly afraid, The Ring and The Grudge and Uzumaki (Spiral) scared the motherfucking shit out of me. I really suggest everyone watch Uzumaki. They have the entire thing up in parts on YouTube and it's a really trippy movie. I watched it at 3 in the morning one night and didn't sleep until the next night. People turn into snails and shit. It's fucked.

First of all, I just finished watching Uzumaki and agree that it was totally weird and pretty gross. I would re-edit it and make it better. There were some unnecessary parts in my opinion.
 And the other thing is I take back saying previously that Karen Black came out in the 70's flick "The Manitou". I just found the trailer on YouTube and it is Susan Strasbourg who gives birth to that nasty witchdoctor creature or whatever it was. Susan is just as scary as Karen though! ;D
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2007, 05:55:11 pm »
when I saw this as a kid, it scared the shit out of me.  Heres a clip - if you can find the link to the whole thing post it....it was scary shit - especially back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLa57z1of8

omg... did you see this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d14G1RCEQSA

BRILLIANT!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2007, 05:58:39 pm »
Forget about sitting on the pot in the dark again LMAO

Offline mjmel

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2007, 06:06:11 pm »
"I, Madman" 1989
xxx,
Mike

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2007, 09:25:41 pm »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2007, 11:08:13 pm »
an old British movie called Dead of Night (an ensemble piece with Sir Michael Redgrave as a ventriloquist whose dummy has a mind of his own) still make me jump.  Most of the gory things only make me sleepy. 

Probably more suspense than a true "horror" film, I also give props to "Magic" with Sir Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist with a similarly dark relatiionship with his dummy.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

tendai

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:43 am »
The Grudge just freaked me out. i cant even begin to explain

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:52 am »
Awesome! (not)  Trilogy of Terror is downloaded now.  It's a good clean DVD version but IT HAS SPANISH SUBTITLES.

Offline Just John

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2007, 05:15:55 pm »
And please don't overlook the movie " Phantasm.' and yes, I had a huge crush on the main character..

Mmmm, Lwood I have seen Phantasm twice on the TV, the last time has to be about 15 to 20 years ago and although I found it a little scary in parts, especially when people were getting their brains drilled out n stuff, I just didn't understand the plot at all.

I've watched for it to be repeated but never got the chance to see it since.

Care to fill me in just to satisfy my curiosity??

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2007, 09:09:29 am »
That new movie "Beowulf" seems scary, although it's not the same "category". I think I'll go see it. Haven't been to a movie theater in ages

Offline Iggy

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2007, 03:21:39 pm »
Just Hate to double post, but I just remembered another really good one,, one of the early Jodie Foster movies called "The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane"
its a MUST SEE,  martin sheen plays about the slimy est pedophile in the history of cinema, and Jodie actually Out  Does anthony Hopkins Hannibal Lector, IMHO,
but if you can find it dont just rent it BUY IT\

Jeromy and I were just talking about this film the other day - yeah it was creepy as all hell. 

This film reminds me of another (not in subject matter, but in time period and film quality," "Let's Scare Jessica to Death"

I remember that movie playing on late night TV when I was a kid and for some reason that end shot of all those people on the shore just spooked me out!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2007, 03:26:12 pm »
Wanted to add something about the earlier talk of Diary of the Dead.  I just found out that it was granted a limited U.S. release of February 15th.

There is also some argument about a sequel already in the works.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2007, 05:47:50 pm »
I just watched a few scary movies the other day....The Pulse and The Grudge 2. I actually had to watch both of them twice to finally understand what was going on. I am thinking they may try to force out a Grudge 3 but I hope not because I don't think it will work after watching the ending to 2.

The Pulse, more weird than scary really but I liked the storyline of how they literally sucked the life out of you. They could've had better actors but not bad really.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2007, 06:45:37 pm »
Shaun of the Dead. Oh, yeah, right, scary...

Wait Until Dark

8)  -megasept

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2007, 06:46:57 pm »
http://tracker.zaerc.com/torrents-details.php?id=11502

This one scared the shit out of me when I was 9.

Offline a2z

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
Fred Phelps' funniest home videos?

(okay, if I have to be serious 'Alien', 'Poltergeist' and 'The Sixth Sense')
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »
I see it takes very little to scare some of you..... :P
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2007, 07:30:23 am »
ALIEN...........
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline billy

• be unique... be best
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2007, 02:06:09 pm »
Poltergeist was my first scary movie... I was around 6 and something... followed by The Omen
Since then am addicted to horror  :o

There are many good movies (most of them already listed) out there but much more crap... but in any case the only thrilling thing which scared out the shit of me as an adult was the game silent hill (2).

Damn, I remember that once I was so scared... that I just turned off my console.
09/07: VL 2.200.000
12/07: Kaletra-Kivexa
01/08: T4 720 VL<50
04/08: T4 1.350 VL<50
09/08: T4 1.465 VL<50
02/09: T4 1.230 VL<50
07/09: T4 1.150 VL<50
12/09: T4 1.110 VL<50
06/10: T4 1.600 VL<50
11/10: T4 1.390 VL<50
05/11: T4 700 VL<50
07/11: T4 1.035 VL<50
02/12: T4 1.010 VL<50
06/12: T4 965 VL<50
11/12: T4 850 VL<50
04/13: T4 1220 VL<50
09/13: T4 1100 VL<50
02/14: T4 1120 VL<50
06/16: T4 1050 VL<50
12/16: T4 1520 VL<50

Offline justice3175

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2007, 02:52:15 pm »
The Mothman Prophecies...creeps me out everytime.

Then there's a film called "Dark Remains", which no one has probably ever heard of...you know - straight to video shit - That movie scared the fuck outta me....and for a straight to video movie, it really wasn't bad.

And of course, I love me some Zombie films..anything by George Romero, Night of the Creeps, C.H.U.D.

I'm also one of the few who liked "Pulse", yet I hate Japanese translated to American horror films.

Slasher: Halloween 2
           Scream 1-3
           Urban Legend

Amityville Part 2: The Possesion is also good and scary...much better than any other Amityville movies - including the horrid remake.

Gates of Hell used to scare me as a child so much, that I never watched the whole movie until I was in my late teens. though the special effects are really bad, it's still scary. Would be a nice movie to remake...as well as Suspiria.

Offline justice3175

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2007, 02:56:16 pm »
And of course, i forgot to mention my favorite scary movie of all time: Poltergeist.
It has some of the greatest scenes (or shall I say deilivered lines such as:
Don't touch my babieeeeeesssss!!!!!!!! or
Wh- what - WHAT"S HAPPENING??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The latter being my favorite...

Offline Clearwater71

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2007, 05:29:20 pm »
I've got to say though that the only movie which really freaked me out since I was a kid is The Blair Witch Project.
John
[/quote]

Me too! I watched the movie knowing absolutely nothing about it. Believed it just a tape recovered by some people and kept thiniking throughout the whole movie "this is real". Never been freaked out from a horror flick before. Went to bed with the light on   :o  !! 

That said, although not really scary, THE SHINING is one of the best.

Karl

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.