Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:18:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bay Area Attractions  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Basquo

Bay Area Attractions
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:02:18 pm »
One thing I just ran across while surfing... The Winchester Mystery House!  Ever hear of it? I've been wanting to go since I was about 7 or 8. Freaky-ass mansion. It's in San Jose, I think an hour or so from SF.  I saw a tour website but I won't drone with the details unless someone else is interested.

The other place I found interesting is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.  Didn't they film parts of The Lost Boys there?

Offline JohnOso

Re: Bay Area Attractions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:15:48 pm »
Creighton,

I'll admit i've never been to the Winchester Mystery House, but San Jose is indeed about an hour(ish) drive from San Francisco.  Old Lady Winchester sounded like one crazy-ass bat.  ;)   

I'm not sure if you're going to rent a car or not, but getting to downtown San Jose from SF (Fourth and King Station) is very easy...you could hop on CalTrain for the ride down the Peninsula.  VTA is the name of the transit agency in San Jose, with both buses and light-rail vehicles in that area.

www.caltrain.org

www.vta.org

The all-encompassing website for the various Bay Area transit agencies, plus trip planning is 511.org.....

www.511.org

Santa Cruz is a bit more difficult without a car, but can be done.

It's really the only big "beach city" in the Bay Area, and is probably just shy of two hours from San Francisco (in a car).  There's a lot more palm trees, with broad sandy beaches, and of course the Boardwalk.   It's also an extremely liberal college town, with a jazzed-up downtown pedestrian mall (and panhandling homeless people).

Personally, I don't go to the beaches here too much because it pains me not to be able to get in the water (cold water, rip currents and the occasional Great White shark).

Adding insult to injury,  much of the time summer high season for Northern California beaches means fog-shrouded shoreline unfortunately (although I have heard that much of the time Santa Cruz escapes the persistent fogbanks).

The middle of September is traditionally the beginning of "summer" for Northern California, since the cold fogs of the traditional summer months have more or less subsided.

More than you wanted to know, but there you have it.... ;)

John

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:13:42 pm »
Creighton,
I'm not sure how public transportation would work out to get to the Winchester Mystery House. The website gives directions, but only by car. Getting there by public transportation may be theoretically possible, but it would probably be very time-consuming.

I would recommend taking a guided tour that leaves from San Francisco. It's a four-hour tour, including travel time. You can find out more about it at the following website:
www.supersightseeing.com

This will cost more than taking public transportation, but it will be a great deal more convenient.

Allan

(I just noticed another instance of how crazy the English language is:  "four-hour tour."  All three words end in "our" but they're all pronounced differently.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:19:12 pm by allanq »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:28:41 pm »
Thanks, Allan, that site is exactly what I was looking at yesterday before I started this thread.  I like that they pick you up at the hotel!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 12:33:11 pm »
San Francisco has more than enough places to go and see.  I wouldn't recommend going outside the city except for maybe going to Sausalito on the ferry.
For those staying longer than the weekend, SF Bay is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.  Enjoy the beautiful towns of Sausalito and Tiburon (both offer spectacular views of San Francisco).  The North bay also offers you the best wine country in the USA ( Sonoma and Napa).  If you have the time and energy, take a drive to Russian River where you can taste some of the best wines while you drive or bike through the gorgeous valley.

The South Bay is home to Silicone Valley and the city of San Jose ( 3rd largest in California, 10th largest in the country).  High tech industry and the feeling of being in suburbia.  The valley is about 20 degrees warmer than the city.  The only things of interest would be Great America Park (rollercoasters), the Winchester Mystery House (A crazy lady kept building her house in the hopes that she would stay alive as long as the construction kept going) and Stamford University in Palo Alto.
Although somewhat considered South Bay ( I disagree) is Santa Cruz.  The only true beach town in the area.  Very laid back, tolerant almost hippie like college town with the famous boardwalk ( yes, Lost Boys was filmed there).
On the East Bay you will find Berkley (birth place of the student protest movement of the 60's).  Still is very eclectic.

Regardless of what you are into, San Francisco Bay will have what you are looking for!
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:33:47 pm »
I have been to the Winchester Mystery House and been on three of the five tours.  Having lived in Santa Cruz and Cupertino it is kind of hard to miss.  I guess I could say I have been to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk a few times too.  Both of these locations are in different counties and the travel/logistics would be difficult for a large group such as ours.  Both trips are over an hour away from San Francisco.

Great America in Vallejo is close to BART and is a much better amusement part than Santa Cruz.  I am kind of insane over high tech fast roller coasters and have been on all the Great America rides in San Jose and Majic Mountain.  However comma since this is in my back yard and I don't have to travel like most of you just to be here, I am up for whatever everyone else wants to try.  Have the best day
Michael

Some members of my family are very touchy about the term "Kenchester Mystery House" because Uncle Ken and his swimsuit model wife kept designing and building and redesigning and building a showplace home in Corinthian Bay.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 05:37:37 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 04:49:27 pm »
The caverns used in The Lost Boys do exist but they are a few miles away from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.  In the film, Kiefer Sutherland and Jason Patric were racing their motorbikes across the tressle.  Across that railroad tressle is the Third Street Beach.  The caverns used are actually underneath the University of California Santa Cruz campus.  Been there a few times with Geology majors.

Having been a Santa Cruz resident during the filming, it seemed odd to me the story line was about vampires because at that time Santa Cruz had the largest amount of covens than anywhere in California.  As a student at the university, it was not unusual to be sitting next to any group of other students talking about witchcraft and spells.  The witches have moved and now Sonoma County is the area where the most covens are located in California.   Don't know about the vampires... just chalk that up to Hollywood fiction.  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 04:51:27 pm by Sonomabeach »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.