Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:25:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: transmission??  (Read 19545 times)

Offline hss9999

transmission??
« on: June 06, 2006, 12:00:09 pm »
This may sound crazy, but I am concerned because I recently used a toothbrush of a friend of mine I was visiting out of town. I am concerned that I actually may have accidentally picked up his roommates toothbrush instead of his and of the possibility of contracting HIV. I think it had been a few hours since he had used it (if it was his roommates toothbrush), but I don't know his status or anything else, except that he is in a long term relationship. I believe I rinsed the toothbrush off before I used it, but I can't be sure. I am worried sick. Do I need to test over this? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Offline scotslassie

Re: Toothbrush Incident..Help me!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 12:06:21 pm »
As far as I know it has NEVER been transmitted this way before, but Ill await a mods response  :)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 12:21:35 pm »
Two things arise here.

There is no risk from what you describe. Toothbrushes are not a risk for HIV. Consult the lessons section of the site. You'll find the link in the upper left hand corner of the page.

Secondly, Scotslassie should confine herself to her own thread and not worry about the problems of others. It's nice that she wants to help, but really we can take care of it.

MtD

Offline hss9999

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:31:57 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  Any other thoughts Ann and Andy?

Offline hss9999

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:00:50 pm »
One more thing. The several hours since he had used it is a guesstimate. I just know he was asleep when we got home and it was around 2.

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:05 pm »
Hss,

You may wait for a response from Ann or Andy, but Matty is an esteemed expert on this site.  The timeline is irrelevent, you do not get HIV from a toothbrush.

Sae.
Meh.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 02:08:21 pm »
H, you are making a what if HIV mountain out of a toothbrush molehill.

Theoretically IF the person is HIV+ whose toothbrush you used had just immediately bled on to the toothbrush and you quickly had it in your mouth and your poor oral care/bleeding gums might theoretically have made infection a possibility. I have to say in my nearly 20 years in the epidemic I have never known of transmission to happen in this manner. And I don't expect you will make history by becoming the first.

There is absolutely nothing in what you have reported which suggests any cause for concern.

Somehow your mind has run away with itself for reasons perhaps best known to you.

There's no cause for further concern nor for testing. What you do need to do is read the transmission lesson on this site if you haven't already done so.

This is NOT and HIV situation. Period.

Andy Velez

Offline hss9999

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 12:44:27 pm »
Thank you for the responses. I have another question..what circumstances would need to be present for transmission to occur in this manner, assuming he has HIV? Does the fact that I rinsed the toothbrush make a difference? And I'm fairly sure that I did not use it right after him, seeing as he was in bed when we got home. I know symptoms dont matter, but I woke up this morning with what I think is a swollen lymph node in my neck (this is 10 days since I used the toothbrush). I am absolutely terrified. I've also felt fatigued for the last few days, and now I am having to wait out the period until I can test. This is all I can think about. Could one of the experts(Ann, Andy, Matty?) please reply? I seriously go to bed and wake up every day thinking about this. Thank you.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 04:49:47 pm »
I posted several days ago and have not gotten any responses. I have been extremely fatigued and had a stuffy nose for several days now, and I am afraid I am experiencing ARS. I have taken my temperature constantly and it has remained normal, but its only been 2 and a half weeks. I have been prescribed some anxiety medication, but am still having a hard time waiting out the time until I need to test. IS there any chance or risk whatsoever I could have gotten HIV from the toothbrush?? If ANYONE could respond with any information they have, it would be much appreciated.

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:56:52 pm »
People have said that there has been no transmission this way before

Offline hss9999

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 05:09:26 pm »
Yes, but Andy also told me it was theoretically possible..Is this the same risk as say, deep kissing someone?

Offline scotslassie

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 05:11:15 pm »
Theoretical means in theory it could happen, given the right circumstances. It also usually means it hasnt happened
It is very close to being absolutely no risk

If a government or a health body were to say it carried absolutely no risk they could be at risk of legal action in the unlikely event that it ever happened. But, when there have never been any cases reported, I reckon its quite safe to say it most likely wont ever happen period

I hope this helps you, you are negative and will remain negative from this

Offline hss9999

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 06:28:45 pm »
Could one of the experts give their opinion as well? Could the risk be compared to kissing??

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 06:59:15 pm »
Kissing is not and never has been a risk factor for HIV. Seriously. No ifs or buts about it.

As for the toothbrush thing, Andy outlined a theoretical situation. You don't live in a theoretical world, you live in a real one. The risks you have to concern yourself with therefore are real ones. In reality there is no risk from sharing a toothbrush in the manner you describe. You don't need to fret about HIV from this incident. Read the lessons section of this site to learn more about HIV and it's modes of transmission. You'll see that toothbrushes and kissing are not amongst them.

Sharing someone else's toothbrush is, however, gross. It's icky. Don't do it. ;)

MtD

Offline hss9999

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 01:54:42 pm »
Thank you for the replies. Ann, do you have anything else? I appreciate the replies so far and I would really like to hear what you think.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 02:08:51 pm »
Like, would this be considered LOW risk or NO risk??

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 02:46:40 pm »
No risk. Same as kissing.

The CDC was absolutely WRONG about kissing in the 1990s - and they have not updated their prevention information since 1999.

No risk.

None.

Same goes for a toothbrush. We can parse theory all day long. Its not going to happen.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 03:04:30 pm »
Oh for chrissakes man! Get over it.

You have no reason to be concerned about HIV.

If you can't let go of this incident then get tested, collect the inevitable result and then buy yourself a supply of new toothbrushes and don't leave home without at least one in your pocket. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 04:39:43 am »
hss,

The reason I have not replied in this thread is because I can't believe you're serious.

You didn't have a risk of infection, no way, no how.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hss9999

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 10:39:44 am »
Thank you for the responses. I have one other concern about some information I found on the internet while researching about the toothbrush. It says:

There are no documented cases or suspected cases of HIV transmission via toothbrush. If you are sexually active* or have ever been then yes you should be tested.

* Any activity where body fluids are exchanged. Kissing, fingering, etc.

I was under the impression it was not necessary to test over these things..?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 11:00:21 am »
Hey, I can search the internet too. And find all kinds of junk. This site relies on first tiered peer reviewed scientific data. We answer to ourselves and our community, we police one another insofar as accuracy is concerned, and it's simply not within our means to act as a myth-busting site for ALL other HIV misinformation.

Seriously. No risk from kissing, fingering, toothbrushes, doorknobs.

And with that, I respectfully leave you to your terror. best of luck with that.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline hss9999

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:29 am »
Thank you for the response. I did not mean to offend, and I am sorry if I have done so. I appreciate all of the advice.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 12:49:02 pm »
One final question regarding the toothbrush..I have contacted the guy whose house I stayed at, and he informed me that his roommate doesn't leave his toothbrush out, and that he uses two toothbrushes.  So I must have used my friend's toothbrush (who I do trust more). HOWEVER, this also means that if I picked up the toothbrush that he had just used (which I guess I had a 50/50 chance of doing), it would have only been 5-10 minutes after he used it. I did rinse it off under the tap, but does this change my risk? Would it still be no risk, even if he was HIV+?

Offline hss9999

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 12:50:36 pm »
AND there was blood on the toothbrush??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 02:02:26 pm »
OK. No more just one more question. You have been told without any doubt that you were not at risk.

You're just at the edge of being given a time out warning. Search the net all you like, ask as many friends and neighbors questions that you mind continues to come up with. The bottom line as far as we are concerned is that you were not at risk. Period.

If you want to continue to obsess that is your privilige. But not here.

Andy Velez

Offline hss9999

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 02:41:25 pm »
Thank you for the response. It's just that the original scenario had been changed, and I wanted to know if the risk had changed too.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 03:04:19 pm »
No risk.

Welcome Thread

Offline hss9999

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 05:08:22 pm »
I appreciate everyone's patience with me. I am seeking mental treatment and being medicated for my anxiety, so I AM getting help. Just wanted you guys to know:)

Offline hss9999

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 04:18:42 pm »
I have a question about other risks in relation to HIV, and I don't think I am supposed to start a new thread so that is why I am posting here. My other risks in the past have been kissing, mutual masturbation, and frottage (with underwear on). I did have a negative test done at 25 days past the toothbrush incident, but I know that doesn't mean much. I am concerned because Sunday will mark 5 weeks, and today I noticed that one side of my mouth was hurting(like infected or something) and I have a slight fever (98.9-99.2). When I swallow, also, the side of my mouth that is infected hurts too. Also, I have been very fatigued. Could this be ARS?? Is it possible to have ARS after 4 weeks? Any responses would be appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 04:21:55 pm »
None of these other activities you have mentioned have put you at risk for HIV transmission in anyway.

I don't know whether you have some sexual issues you need to work out or you just are craving some attention. What I do know is that nothng you have reported now or previously has put you at risk for HIV. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 04:37:56 am »
I did have a negative test done at 25 days past the toothbrush incident, but I know that doesn't mean much.

hss,

Far from meaning nothing, your negative test means that you are hiv negative, end of story. You were never at risk of hiv infection in anything you brought to us so far and therefore your test is conclusive.

You can remain hiv negative by using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exception when you do start having intercourse. It really is that simple.

In the meantime, you can learn how to use condoms correctly by clicking on the condom and lube links in my signature line. We're not born knowing how to use them, so get reading - and practicing putting them on so you don't fumble the first time you really need one.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hss9999

biting/kissing incident
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:38 pm »
I have posted here before but have a new concern. I recently picked up a friend of mine to drive him home (who was quite drunk) and he bit me on the neck, pretty hard. I examined the area later and did not notice that the skin was punctured or bleeding, but I am still concerned. Also, I had brushed my teeth maybe 1-2 hours prior and deep kissed him as well. Are either of these things a reason for concern??

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: biting/kissing incident
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 04:14:46 pm »
Hss9999,

Saliva is not infectious.  You had no risk of hiv infection in what you describe.

Morgan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:24:54 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 07:48:15 pm »
hss,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. This applies even if you think it's a new concern. Use this thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline hss9999

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 09:28:23 pm »
I appreciate the response, but remain concerned. I think it had probably been hours since he had brushed his teeth, so would it be safe to say that if his gums did bleed, they would not be bleeding anymore? I had brushed my teeth maybe an hour prior, and my gums sometimes bleed after I brush. If he did have HIV and was bleeding in his mouth, could this have made infection a possibility? There was absolutely NO other sexual contact, just kissing. Thanks in advance for responses.

Offline hss9999

transmission??
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2006, 03:43:20 pm »
Ok, this may sound crazy, but if someone would respond I would really appreciate it. About 3 weeks ago, I gave someone a hug that I am 95% has AIDS. Are there any circumstances that would make transmission a possibility in this manner? Everything I've read says no, but I know I had a huge burn on my arm from a curling iron at the time  and we were both wearing short sleeves. Is there any way this could happen?? Any responses would be appreciated.

Offline spudboy

Re: transmission??
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2006, 04:00:28 pm »
i hope your kidding!?!
nearly all of our miseries in life come from our false notions of what is actually happening to us, thus to judge an event sanely is a great step towards happiness.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2006, 04:51:26 pm »
Hsssssss:

For someone who has been on this site since the beginning of June you present a shocking level of ignorance (or have a really shitty and insujlting sense of humor).

Morgan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:53:06 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 04:56:24 pm »
hss,

This is the second time I've had to merge your threads. Please stop starting new threads!

There is no way on earth you're going to become infected through casual contact. You need to read through the Transmission link found in the Welcome thread. There's no excuse for someone who has been visiting this website for as long as you have to come out with a question like this. It's insulting.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 06:19:38 pm »
A curling iron?

MtD

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 06:27:04 pm »
Wow.  Normally you get a curling iron burn on your forehead.  That arm is way too short to curl...try braiding.

I hugged lots of people with HIV.  Holy cow, I kissed lots of people with HIV.  I don't have HIV. 

If I had HIV, and someone was afraid to hug me...I think that would be worse than HIV itself.  THAT IS CALLED STIGMA, and its disgusting on your part.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Sae

Meh.

Offline hss9999

razor transmission
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 07:50:51 pm »
I have a new transmission worry. I have been very sick lately and am worried it is related. My risks since I last visited this site a while back are as follows:
-accidentally picked up someone else's razor to shave my legs (at a random persons house--no idea about their background). there was no obvious blood and i definitely didn't cut myself while shaving. i think the razor had at least been sitting there a few hours since someone had last used it. what would be the risk here??
-sexual risks--kissing, mutual masturbation, and NAKED frottage. I mean as close as you can come to having unprotected sex, but it didn't go that far. and he has kind of a questionable past.
what would be the risks here?? any responses would be appreciated..i am losing sleep over this. thanks in advance.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 08:07:47 pm »
While you're not sleeping, you can read the "Lessons" section here that others have been telling you about over the last few months.  It will highlight your complete lack of risk in great detail.

One suggestion that does come to mind, though:  You seem to have an awful lot of "accidents" involving hygiene and beauty equipment...accidentally using other's razors & toothbrushes, misadventures with curling irons,, etc.  I think it may be to your benefit to purchase one of those "dop kit" thingys.  That way, you can keep all of your own hygiene items together and avoid these mishaps.

Good luck to ya.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:07 pm »
Honestly, I have read the lessons many times, and I don't see mention of the razor transmission or anything about frottage. Could someone please tell me what my risk is? I mean NO risk or LOW risk? Do I need to test again?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2006, 11:20:44 pm »
OK-  I'll bite:  No...based on those scenarios, like all the others you've presented, no risk & you don't need to test again.  Very odd that someone who gets so obviously shaken by all these "what if?" scenarios and loses so much sleep worrying about HIV should be so inattentive about the razors and toothbrushes they pick up and use.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:53 am »
Thank you for your responses.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2006, 03:25:32 pm »
I am fairly certain I know the answer to this, but I just wanted some clarification. I read on another site that these were low risks, but not NO risk. I am worried about a french kissing incident that took place after I brushed my teeth (I know that was probably stupid). I have gingivitis and sometimes my gums bleed after brushing, although this particular night I did not notice any bleeding afterwards. I did not taste blood or anything wihle we were kissing, but I have no idea what his status is or anything. If he is telling the truth, he has been with two people, one with a condom and the other his girlfriend, which was unprotected, but supposedly she was a virgin. I am terrified and cannot wait out thie 6 week period until I can test. I have been fatigued and taking my temp constantly, but haven't had a fever yet. Is my risk LOW or NO risk?? Do I even need to test?? Please help!

Offline hss9999

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2006, 03:26:43 pm »
Other recent risks have also been: getting fingered and frottage (with underwear). (I am female). Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Offline hss9999

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2006, 03:29:21 pm »
Last thing that I just remembered..I haven't seen a question about this here..is there any risk in getting my nipples sucked by a guy?? that and the kissing is what I am most worried about.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
Haven't we been here before?  Yes...somewhere areound post #34 of this very thread.  No, I don't think there is anything at all to be worried about with the toothbrushing thing...and there is REALLY (like...really, really) no cause for worry with getting your nipples sucked by a guy. From what I read in your thread, you're fine doll.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.