Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:16:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 645
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More issues about Atripla and adherance  (Read 6286 times)

Offline pozoz

More issues about Atripla and adherance
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help.
Starting Atripla June 10th, about a year after testing positive. CD4 514, no OI's or any issues yet, but have decided to start for a few reasons.

I'm still fairly new to all this and still learning and researching as much information as I can.

The issue I'm having is that I work 1 week of day shift, 1 week of night shift, then have a week off. The shifts are 12.5 hrs, 6 to 630.

After reading about the need to take Atripla on an empty stomach and also at the same time each day, I can't find a easy solution due to my work schedule.

If on my last day shift I take it at bedtime, I'd like to know if Atripla is forgiving enough to allow me to delay the next nights dose untill the following morning when I'll be going to bed in the morning.

So basically a delay of 12 hours from the normal time.

Then when coming off nights and back to "normal" hours I'd have to do the same thing. This would mean a delay of 12 hours on the shift change days, about 2 to 3 times a month.

After reading some of the posts on here I'm even wondering if Atripla is the best option for a first time treatment. Maybe that can be another post lol

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone, all the best  :)

pozoz

Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: More issues about Atripla and adherance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:29:34 am »
Did you put your schedule on paper and show it to a doctor who prescribed it?  I'm betting there is a comfort zone a doctor would give his OK to.

For what its worth, when I was on sustiva-truvada (sames drugs as ATripla) after just two months my doctor said timing wasnt really important - just to get it into me every day.  These drugs have a long presence in the body.  

I can't tell you the solution but I bet a doctor could. Its seems in fact that a doctor MUST find a solution for you.

As you seem to know, it is very important to feel comfortable that you can be adherent so please do get a professionals advice to put your mind at ease about those 12 hours timing shifts.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:31:57 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline averagejoe1977

• Viral Load Warrior: HIV & Me
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:29:55 am »
I think you should speak with your doctor about this. For what it is worth, when I was on Atripla my consultant told me that it has a long half-life when compared to some of the other anti-retrovirals. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it due to side-effects though. I'm currently taking Truvada, Norvir, and Darunavir. No major side-effects and no empty stomach requirements! :)

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:36:58 am »
.. my consultant told me that it has a long half-life when compared to some of the other anti-retrovirals. Unfortunately,  :)

What does it mean?  Don't understand.
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46:19 am »
My doctor told me if i want a night life atripla is not the best drug for that. What if u get a doctor's note? would they change ur shift? Thats a tight spot ure in. I think a 12 hr difference may be a lil 2much. I party alot and my doctor told me try not to take it more than 4hrs late-- 12hrs is 3x more than he recommends. If im in your position i would try to consult with 2 doctors to ensure im on the safe side.
Well, i am yet to see how it will for for me since i will start 2nite

Kevykev

Offline averagejoe1977

• Viral Load Warrior: HIV & Me
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:49:39 am »
Sorry, I should have clarified!

Re. half life. In short, Atripla stays at high levels in the body for a long time after taking one pill. But like I said, check with your doctor first.

I agree with Kevykev's point that 12 hour difference may be too much.

Offline pozoz

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:28:55 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I will follow this up with my Dr on "Day 4" and see what he thinks.
I'm thinking if I can get away with it, I'll stay on Atripla.
Otherwise another drug option may have to be explored.

kevykev, unfortunetely I can't change my shift (I wish!) It's part of the deal. lol Look forward to hearing how you're travellin after you start--- good luck..

averagejoe1977, Thanks, I heard it has a long half life also, but will definetely double check when I see my Doc on June 14th . I'm hoping he'll say the delay is fine as it will make my life alot easier.

mecch, thanks I'll get more info and definetely post how it all turns out, I'd have to say having this forum is awesome and seeing others going through some challenges definetely helps, hopefully I'll be able to help someone else in the future, to me that's important.

Thanks again for the input and advice,

Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 06:00:52 am »
Oh and PS - my ID said "atripla" was a good match for unpredictable times going to bed, and thus my nightlife, the contrary advice of kevykev's doc.  Just goes to show you - there is wiggle room it depends on your doctor's way of practicing.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline keegancassidy83

• Diagnosed Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:38 pm »
im confused, r u saying i dont have to take atripla EXACTLY the same time every nightand if i hapened to be out i dont have to rush home?? ???

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:00:27 am »
im confused, r u saying i dont have to take atripla EXACTLY the same time every nightand if i hapened to be out i dont have to rush home?? ???

I'm pretty sure there's a 6 hour window of grace or thereabouts.

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:22:22 am »

Who told you it had to be so exact? Your doctor? What country, please.

Offline keegancassidy83

• Diagnosed Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:17:10 am »
actually my pharmacist, and USA....but i guess not

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:14:19 am »
actually my pharmacist, and USA....but i guess not

Atripla is a very strong drug and it takes a while to build in your system.  The same happens when you stop taking it, it takes a while to completely come out of your system.  For the first couple of months I would try to be very exact with the dosing (at least until you become undetectable), but I'm to the point now where I just take it before I go to bed which is generally within a 6 hour window.

Once you have reached undetectable there has been a study where some people do 5 days on, and 2 days off the drug and after 48 weeks they had neither developed resistance to it, nor permanently regained a measurable viral load.   This study is still controversial to some degree however and not recommended for anyone who is not undetectable for a while beforehand.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 12:36:55 pm »
Oh and PS - my ID said "atripla" was a good match for unpredictable times going to bed, and thus my nightlife, the contrary advice of kevykev's doc.  Just goes to show you - there is wiggle room it depends on your doctor's way of practicing.

I guess different experts think differently. So do u think its okay not to take it for 12hrs?. If it reaches 12hrs it would be considered missing a dose. Example, if you normally take the pill  at 10pm on a nitely basis  and u go 12 hrs without it that runs u into 10am the following day. So basically that's a missed dose. Eventually, it will ketchup with you. Maximum i would say is 4hrs worse case scenario 6hrs. Anything after 6hrs i would consider a missed dose.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
This study is still controversial to some degree however and not recommended for anyone who is not undetectable for a while beforehand.

I mentioned that FOTO study to my ID and she more or less freaked and told me not to even think about it. She also indicated that she was surprised that "they" were running those types of trials again  :P  Would be nice if "they" could come to an understanding at some point though. I'd love to have a couple of "normal" days every week.

On an aside, I spent a week in New Orleans and was taking my Atripla every night on time but then continued to stay up and explore the city for a couple hours after (instead of just heading to bed). I got some of the best sleep I've had in a looooong time. I actually woke up refreshed and ready to go with less than 8 hours of sleep. I'm not sure if it's because I had a couple of beers in me afterwards or just because I was up and active/walking around while I digested it. Either way, I'd be interested if anyone else has found that taking it earlier in the day helps them get better sleep.

Offline justus35

• I AM STILL STANDING
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
my id doctor said not only NO but HELL NO  :) and for me not to even think about it ...EVER as long as he  is practicing NO patient of his will be takining Atripla in that matter ...I said OK! ;D
SELF MADE -DOING IT FOR MYSELF

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 07:03:40 pm »
Pozoz,
Considering that HAART is anti-viral .... I missed reading whether you had a detectable VL ... this is relevant since the purpose of the treatment is to reduce viral load and should be central in your decision to begin hard.

Secondly, if your commitment to HAART might be compromised by your current work schedule, then serious consideration is in order.

If this is your choice, then consider beginning treatment on your week off to allow for adjustments to any adverse effects.

IMHO, For others, any physician who does not engage in decision making with patients but uses coercive rhetoric does a patient a disservice in his/her care.

09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.