Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:17:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whitney Houston: Dead  (Read 40193 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Whitney Houston: Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 08:28:54 pm »
I just saw this online and on t.v .- totally devastated - very sad.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/whitney-houston-superstar-records-films-dies-005927033.html
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:32:46 pm »
That is too sad.  She was such a talented woman. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:43 pm »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2012/february/381420/Publicist:-Whitney-Houston,-superstar-of-records,-films,-dies

Last Updated: Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:24 PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) --

Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

News of Houston's death came on the eve of music's biggest night - the Grammy Awards. It's a showcase where she once reigned, and her death was sure to case a heavy pall on Sunday's ceremony. Houston's longtime mentor Clive Davis was to hold his annual concert and dinner Saturday; it was unclear if it was going to go forward.

At her peak, Houston the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale."

She had the he perfect voice, and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy," Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.

It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.

Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.

"The time that I first saw her singing in her mother's act in a club ... it was such a stunning impact," Davis told "Good Morning America."

"To hear this young girl breathe such fire into this song. I mean, it really sent the proverbial tingles up my spine," he added.

Before long, the rest of the country would feel it, too. Houston made her album debut in 1985 with "Whitney Houston," which sold millions and spawned hit after hit. "Saving All My Love for You" brought her her first Grammy, for best female pop vocal. "How Will I Know," "You Give Good Love" and "The Greatest Love of All" also became hit singles.

Another multiplatinum album, "Whitney," came out in 1987 and included hits like "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody."

The New York Times wrote that Houston "possesses one of her generation's most powerful gospel-trained voices, but she eschews many of the churchier mannerisms of her forerunners. She uses ornamental gospel phrasing only sparingly, and instead of projecting an earthy, tearful vulnerability, communicates cool self-assurance and strength, building pop ballads to majestic, sustained peaks of intensity."

Her decision not to follow the more soulful inflections of singers like Franklin drew criticism by some who saw her as playing down her black roots to go pop and reach white audiences. The criticism would become a constant refrain through much of her career. She was even booed during the "Soul Train Awards" in 1989.

"Sometimes it gets down to that, you know?" she told Katie Couric in 1996. "You're not black enough for them. I don't know. You're not R&B enough. You're very pop. The white audience has taken you away from them."

Some saw her 1992 marriage to former New Edition member and soul crooner Bobby Brown as an attempt to refute those critics. It seemed to be an odd union; she was seen as pop's pure princess while he had a bad-boy image, and already had children of his own. (The couple had a daughter, Bobbi Kristina, in 1993.) Over the years, he would be arrested several times, on charges ranging from DUI to failure to pay child support.

But Houston said their true personalities were not as far apart as people may have believed.

"When you love, you love. I mean, do you stop loving somebody because you have different images? You know, Bobby and I basically come from the same place," she told Rolling Stone in 1993. "You see somebody, and you deal with their image, that's their image. It's part of them, it's not the whole picture. I am not always in a sequined gown. I am nobody's angel. I can get down and dirty. I can get raunchy."

It would take several years, however, for the public to see that side of Houston. Her moving 1991 rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl, amid the first Gulf War, set a new standard and once again reaffirmed her as America's sweetheart.

In 1992, she became a star in the acting world with "The Bodyguard." Despite mixed reviews, the story of a singer (Houston) guarded by a former Secret Service agent (Kevin Costner) was an international success.

It also gave her perhaps her most memorable hit: a searing, stunning rendition of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You," which sat atop the charts for weeks. It was Grammy's record of the year and best female pop vocal, and the "Bodyguard" soundtrack was named album of the year.

She returned to the big screen in 1995-96 with "Waiting to Exhale" and "The Preacher's Wife." Both spawned soundtrack albums, and another hit studio album, "My Love Is Your Love," in 1998, brought her a Grammy for best female R&B vocal for the cut "It's Not Right But It's Okay."

But during these career and personal highs, Houston was using drugs. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2010, she said by the time "The Preacher's Wife" was released, "(doing drugs) was an everyday thing. ... I would do my work, but after I did my work, for a whole year or two, it was every day. ... I wasn't happy by that point in time. I was losing myself."

In the interview, Houston blamed her rocky marriage to Brown, which included a charge of domestic abuse against Brown in 1993. They divorced in 2007.

Houston would go to rehab twice before she would declare herself drug-free to Winfrey in 2010. But in the interim, there were missed concert dates, a stop at an airport due to drugs, and public meltdowns.

She was so startlingly thin during a 2001 Michael Jackson tribute concert that rumors spread she had died the next day. Her crude behavior and jittery appearance on Brown's reality show, "Being Bobby Brown," was an example of her sad decline. Her Sawyer interview, where she declared "crack is whack," was often parodied. She dropped out of the spotlight for a few years.

Houston staged what seemed to be a successful comeback with the 2009 album "I Look To You." The album debuted on the top of the charts, and would eventually go platinum.

Things soon fell apart. A concert to promote the album on "Good Morning America" went awry as Houston's voice sounded ragged and off-key. She blamed an interview with Winfrey for straining her voice.

A world tour launched overseas, however, only confirmed suspicions that Houston had lost her treasured gift, as she failed to hit notes and left many fans unimpressed; some walked out. Canceled concert dates raised speculation that she may have been abusing drugs, but she denied those claims and said she was in great shape, blaming illness for cancellations.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »
Well I'm not surprised at all, it was bound to happen sooner or later   :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »
Just saw it online as I sat down at my PC.

Very sad.  I am sure her daughter and other family members are devastated.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »
here's a FACTOID......Whitney Houston had ten top-10 songs in the 1980s. Seven of them went to # 1.   :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »

Wow...... my heart sank when I saw the post.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear of this tragic news, regardless of drug or alcohol abuse it is still always a surprise.  I didn't realize she was only 48.  RIP Whitney, a great talent.

Jody :(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 10:07:11 pm »
Nooooooooo No No No.  :-[

That. Amazing. Voice.

At last she's in peace.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

A few stolen moments is all that we share...
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
What sad news. She really had a beautiful voice back in the day.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:32:06 pm »
What sad news. She really had a beautiful voice back in the day.

The Bodyguard Soundtrack. Especially "I Will Always Love you", of which the last few notes are absolutely ridiculous.

such a loss.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline northernguy

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:57:38 pm »
What a shame, what a waste.  Some may not have liked her choice of material, but she had an incredible voice in her prime.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:25:07 pm »

A few stolen moments is all that we share...

Liza Minelli is still alive...

As for Whitney, I was hoping she would regain her former glory with "Million Dollar Bill" and retire with grace, but I suppose it wasn't meant to be.  Now for the question on everyone's minds...what caused her death I wonder?

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »
Very sad news. She had such a powerful voice.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 11:59:48 pm »
I had stopped by the TV station to talk to some friends, when this came over the wire.  Everyone stopped to watch national news coverage.  Very sad.  I was hoping for her comeback.  It will be interesting to see how the Grammys deals with this tomorrow night. 

I wasn't a huge fan of her earlier work.  However, I loved "I wanna dance with somebody,"  "One Moment in time,"  "My love is your love,"  "How will I know," and "It's not right, but it's okay."  I think I have those song titles right.  Loved the remixes.   

"My Love Is Your Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN-AGl7ntA 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:12 am »

nobody ever said that she was dead, sweepie

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:26 am »
Whitney's final public performance: Thursday, February 9, 2012 "Yes, Jesus Loves Me"

http://youtu.be/6rEfD7aLOnc

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:17 am »
Well I'm not surprised at all, it was bound to happen sooner or later   :(

Yeah, everyone dies sooner or later. ::)

48 - far too young. Her songs were the background music to many memorable moments in my life.

RIP Whitney.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 08:10:52 am »
SAD sad sad sad.
She had a beautiful voice
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 08:19:07 am »
How sad and tragic.  Far too young indeed!

She was a spectacular talent who deserved nothing less than superstardom.

We've been looking for, waiting for, rooting for and mourning that talent for years, and now this.  Its grim.  :(
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 08:24:54 am »
Yes, Liza's till kicking!  Hey, don't bury one of the last old timey show biz battleaxes yet!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:24 am »
set aside all her problems, we all have our demons unfortunately, it makes me sad that we are losing our greatest artists these days.  I grew up to whitney's music in high school and college, her music brings back good memories

R.I.P
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:03 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WH1Ma50QUk&ob=av2n
All the Man That I Need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J538b-OLRU
It's Not Right But It's OK
The album version was good, and its one of the few Houston songs I heard in clubs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKNHYB2YcM&feature=related

I didn't remember So Emotional in the 80's in clubs. Wedding parties, yes!
But here's a mix that -- now I hear it, yes, now I remember. Places like Uncle Charlies, Private Eyes, and The Pavilion, and PTown.   What a happy sound!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAyd33srKLY

Her songs are all so romantic!  So simple.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 09:17:44 am »
Her songs were the background music to many memorable moments in my life.

RIP Whitney.

Really? For some reason you don't seem like a Whitney fag to me.

On that note I will clearly state that better Whitney than Mariah (in life, not death) -- can I have a witness?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:26 am »
Really? For some reason you don't seem like a Whitney fag to me.

Her songs were played on the radio incessantly in the 90s. Hard to escape her songs - and I'm glad I didn't, akchully. I didn't like all her stuff, but a lot of it was very good.

On that note I will clearly state that better Whitney than Mariah (in life, not death) -- can I have a witness?

Witness!

Someone said to me earlier today - "isn't that the woman who sang My Heart Will Go On?" Nooooooooo..... puhLEEZE!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

Someone said to me earlier today - "isn't that the woman who sang My Heart Will Go On?" Nooooooooo..... puhLEEZE!

Oh, Celine Dion is absolutely the worst.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 09:30:58 am »
***BREAKING*** TMZ EXCLUSIVE

Prescriptions Found, Possible Drowning

No illegal drugs have been found in the hotel room where Whitney Houston died -- at least not yet -- but prescription drugs were present, and it's possible the singer drowned in the bathtub ... TMZ has learned.

Sources tell us ... when EMTs arrived Whitney's body was already removed from the bathtub so it will take an autopsy to determine if she OD'd, drowned or died from some other cause.

Informed sources tell us ... Beverly Hills cops -- who were still searching the room at the time this story was posted -- found various pill bottles. There was no evidence that Whitney was drinking alcohol in the room.

Whitney's body was just removed from the room on a gurney.  It will go to the morgue for an autopsy to determine cause of death.

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 10:07:22 am »
Many cultivated types have decried the fact that Celine and Whitney have/had amazing instruments put to mediocre mass-appeal pop.  Neither were ever going to appeal very often to people with rarified tastes nor people who don't LOVE the kind of pop they made with enormous success. 

Superficial as it is, Whitney always got extra points and affection from me for also being physically beautiful and rather luminescent (unlike Celine and Mariah, for example). 

And finally, perverse yes, but she had a fabulous glamour when she was whacked out, with ratty hair and minks, on crack runs, in her lowest moments.  I'll respect her dignity not linking photos here, but some of you other perverse types know exactly what I'm talking about.  It was painfully sublime. As were her interruptions to Prince's show, etc. etc.  We didn't want to see her in that state, but she did it with megawatt antistyle, that's for sure. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
she had a fabulous glamour when she was whacked out, with ratty hair and minks, on crack runs, in her lowest moments. 

Child please -- I can see women like that from my living room window roaming Broad Street at 4 AM.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 10:20:37 am »

Testify!

Mariah needs some major remixing to make most of her music not annoying.  And her vocal acrobatics can get on mah delicate nerves. 

Give me some "I'm Every Woman" (and if any queen bothers to point out the fact that it was a remake Ima cut huh) or "You Give Good Love".

Oh, Celine Dion is absolutely the worst.

Unless we are talking about the faboolous MK remix of "Misled". 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:22 am »

Unless we are talking about the faboolous MK remix of "Misled". 

... and speaking of MK, there's a very over-looked mix he did of Bobby Brown (sorry, can't find the dub which is better because his vocals are stripped out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EmYDmKbu9U

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 10:34:42 am »
Child please -- I can see women like that from my living room window roaming Broad Street at 4 AM.
Exactly!  And are these crackheads global superstars and are those furs Dior?  :o

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 11:11:32 am »
... and speaking of MK, there's a very over-looked mix he did of Bobby Brown (sorry, can't find the dub which is better because his vocals are stripped out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EmYDmKbu9U

How about a remix of her fantastic (and not very-well-known) duet with Aretha?  There is a remix of this tune by Clivillés & Cole, circa 1989, but no one has uploaded it.  This is the Howard Prince mix.

Aretha & Whitney - It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 11:13:06 am »
Wow that's nice.

Offline denb45

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:08 am »
Whitney Houston was nothing more than a R&B POP singer from the 80s

that's all she was to me, despite all of her her drug use...

you folks give these Pop artist way to much power  ::)

even after their demise, it's kinda ridiculous to me  ;D

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 11:43:46 am »

Whut, you mean I shouldn't spend the next few days crying in bed, surrounded by my multiple copies of 'I'm Your Baby Tonight' and 'The Bodyguard' (while watching several repeats of Waiting to Exhale)?  Let a queen drown in her heartache and despair, you cold-hearted macho man  :P ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:49 pm »
How about a remix of her fantastic (and not very-well-known) duet with Aretha?  There is a remix of this tune by Clivillés & Cole, circa 1989, but no one has uploaded it.  This is the Howard Prince mix.

Aretha & Whitney - It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be

Well girl, buy it for 94 cents because even I don't own that one.

Also, hope you didn't sleep on the CJ Mackintosh mixes of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-02np_4pOnE
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:07:28 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline denb45

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Whut, you mean I shouldn't spend the next few days crying in bed, surrounded by my multiple copies of 'I'm Your Baby Tonight' and 'The Bodyguard' (while watching several repeats of Waiting to Exhale)?  Let a queen drown in her heartache and despair, you cold-hearted macho man  :P ::)

I blame Bobby Brown!!! for her demise, I always thought she could do way better then him  ::)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
Well girl, buy it for 94 cents because even I don't own that one.

Ooh, and it even has the 1989 Vogue Dub.  I'll make ya a copy when I get it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »
Ooh, and it even has the 1989 Vogue Dub.  I'll make ya a copy when I get it.

yes please, STAT

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

I don't think it's ever done better... You can almost feel the power coming from her voice towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4v431Mlak&feature=fvst
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

I don't think it's ever done better... You can almost feel the power coming from her voice towards the end.

Omg yes. Amazing. That is how it should be done, so powerful yet so effortless.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:17 pm »
Whitney Houston was nothing more than a R&B POP singer from the 80s

that's all she was to me, despite all of her her drug use...

Well obviously you arent moved much by Pop talent.  Pop singing is an art.  She had enormous talent.  And some of us follow artists for many years, not just the glory years.  The ups and downs, too. 

I'll be sad when Liza goes.  Wouldn't call her a "singer and actress from the 70's and that's it."  Geez.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

I agree Skeebo, that performance at the 91 Superbowl set the gold standard for singing the national anthem.

I get goose bumps hearing her performance.

It's not an easy song to sing to begin with (which is why so many performers muck it up), but she nailed it.

RIP Whitney

RAB

Offline denb45

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:31 pm »
I agree Skeebo, that performance at the 91 Superbowl set the gold standard for singing the national anthem.

I get goose bumps hearing her performance.

It's not an easy song to sing to begin with (which is why so many performers muck it up), but she nailed it.

RIP Whitney

RAB

I gave up on Pop Culture more than 20 yrs. ago when I was about 35 yrs old, I still like the oldies tho, what do you expect, I'm 55 yrs old and proud of it  ;) old fart here  ;D

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2012, 01:55:43 pm »
I gave up on Pop Culture more than 20 yrs. ago when I was about 35 yrs old, I still like the oldies tho, what do you expect, I'm 55 yrs old and proud of it  ;) old fart here  ;D

I implore you girls to get up and twirl in this moment of great sadness...

http://youtu.be/czDR51JtnWo
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »

I still get chills listening to this rendition.  It is the one that ALL should be compared against and I doubt it will ever be topped.

I didn't get to hear it live, as I was in Desert Storm at the time, but when I got home they were still buzzing about it and managed to track down an audio tape of it (ah... life pre-youTube).

I hope it is moments like this that people remember and not her low points -- no matter how much people on here try to "glamorize" her struggles with addiction.  Addiction is a horrible disease that will do all it can to end one's life.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.