Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 11:38:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 183
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada lowers my stress point  (Read 8540 times)

Offline PeterX

Truvada lowers my stress point
« on: June 30, 2006, 11:45:18 pm »
A friend and I are both on Truvada and Viramune and were both experiencing a lower tolerance to handle stress.  A shorter temper if you will in which we flip out in our minds with incredible rage when under stress.  Something we didn't experience so commonly before.   
The reason I believe the culprit is the Truvada is because my friend has been on meds for years, but only in the last year did he go on Truvada and through conversations discovered this new personality trait we've both been experiencing. 
What has your experience been with Truvada with regard to your temper?

PeterX

Offline Robert

Re: Truvada lowers my stress point
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:46:46 am »
this is an interesting question.  Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada are the only combination I've been on (2 1/2 years) so I really don't have anything to compare them to.  But you're right, my stress level is real low.  I used to be able to hold my temper.  It got so bad I'm now taking 20g of prozac to balance out my moods.  I've always thought it was it was HAART in general but it could be just the Truvada.  Who knows?

robert

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »
I, too, have noticed that with truvada, also on zoloft to help balance me out.  But, yes, I really do believe that Truvada causes people to have short fuses.  It does cross the blood/brain barrier right?  Then, it is highly possible.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:38:11 pm »
in the old forums there have been a few conversations questioning truvada as a culprit in this.   Often hard to identify, especially since many are on sustiva/truvada... which one is it kind of question.

Nothing substantial or definitive was reached from those conversations, but more than a few noted temper issues who took truvada. .    I suspect truvada may have more issues than actually publicized in it's trials.   Something that is only becoming more readily apparant now that it is in wide distribution imho.

Solution?  um.... lexapro or prozac.   Optimum solution?  no.  but it seems like nobody really knows anything about this.    I'm pleasantly happy taking lexapro. :)

I cannot with 100% say that sustiva was the cause of all my issues, though when i stopped it, most of them went away, but that doesn't negate the feeling that truvada was playing some part in that.

I think it does have some negative mental affects like that...and as it says on the truvada website (even though it mentions nothing about mental affects)... "the list of side effects is not complete as truvada is still being studied".

/sigh.  So basically nobody knows nuthin'!   But that doesn't make it untrue either.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 10:17:58 pm »
What has your experience been with Truvada with regard to your temper?

Peter, on Truvada i had a short temper and i flew into a rage once. wasn't pretty. combo back then was Truvada, Norvir, Reyataz.

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 02:27:22 am »
I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU ARE ALL SO *@#"$)_ GOD*@MN COMPLAINING ABOUT TRUVADA!?!  I JUST LOVE IT AND NEVER LOSE MY F***KING TEMPER!!!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)  :)

Robert
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:30:39 am »
in all seriousness, i'm taking epivir/viread almost the same, no problems, but switching to truvada soon.  will keep you posted if i burst into any rages.

BEFORE starting on meds i had problems with this - i take 1 wellbutrin and 1/2 lexapro a day, and find it to be a great combo - so i don't blame the problem on the meds...since I already had it.

NOW LEAVE ME THEF*c* ALONE!  (ok just kidding again)
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 11:10:57 pm »
I haven't noticed a short temper since starting Truvada in May, but I have experienced a lot more headaches than normal.   I've taken so many meds for so long, the 'reference' point of what 'normal' is supposed to feel like is not on my radar any more.

I just keep plodding along.    Have you tried some relaxation techniques?   That was the most important lesson I took from my early support groups (late 80's).

Hope it gets better for you!

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline clarke

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 04:24:59 pm »
Well, after a couple of weeks off of Truvada, I don't have the muschle/joint pain I constantly had, especially when I did some work.  I've also seen I don't "fly off of the handle" so much either, I "seemed" to have calmed some, although I've always been what some refer to as "high strung".

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 05:41:02 pm »
Yes, I also lose my temper easily now... My best friend has noticed that already and "warned" me... I started taking Sustiva/Truvada 9 months ago. I'll try to control myself before I start taking any more meds... let's see how it goes...

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:18:17 pm »
Hello,

The only time I had trouble controlling my anger/temper or stress levels were primarily in the first few months of starting treatment.. I didn't blame that on medication, to me I believe it was other issues at the time.After that things had mellowed out quite a lot. I have been on Viramune , since the beginning. I am also on Viread, part of Truvada. Also, not on any anti-depressants.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 12:55:17 am »
I've been on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir for 10 months and I have not noticed any changes in my mood. I'm known for being very even tempered though.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
Believe it or not I found the bee pollen had taken the edge off of me. as well as getting rid of the cloud I felt. Before this I would say it didn't diminish but I just got used to it.
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 08:29:58 pm »
I am on Sustiva and Truvada and have been noticing I am very Irritated most of the time. especially i have been getting road rage , which is not real good.I am not sure if it's the meds or PMS , probably both. nice to know i am not the only one.  thanks   Cristy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.