Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:23:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 482
Total: 484

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Change a winning combo?  (Read 5435 times)

Offline kiwilondon

Change a winning combo?
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:29 pm »
Hi all.
I'm new here, so thought I'd see what you guys think of this....
Last time I met with the doc (not one I'd met before), she suggested I consider changing from sustiva/combivir to sustiva/truvada. No big reason, just the change to once a day and a bit of caution around prolonged use of AZT. I've been on meds for 10 years, the last 4-5 on sustiva/combivir. All through, my results have been great - been undetectable from the word go and my cd4s now sit in the 700-1000 range.

My instinct is not to mess with success. However, the doc was unimpressed with my casual approach to the timing of taking my meds - I take them breakfast and dinner, whenever that may happen to be. In her view, a once a day regime would be 'more suited to my lifestyle'. Putting aside that I felt a bit affronted that in the first meeting she should lecture me on how I take my meds, I decided to give the suggestion some consideration. As part of that I'd be interested in the experiences of other here. Anyone made the same sort of switch?

Offline kiwilondon

Re: Change a winning combo?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:22:15 pm »
oops, said I was new...wrong thread, sorry!

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:09:31 pm »
Hey Kiwi....Welcome to the AM Forums!!
I have been participating for about a month and the people are amazing.....a true gathering of angels.  As with anything, the more you give (participate) the more you get (responses) so know that your decision to be here is acknowledged and appreciated!   I have not changed meds yet but I made what I thought was a simple change...started on Truvada (morning) and Sustiva (night) and then after 5 months changed to Atripla which is the same meds all in 1 pill which I took at night.  I have always had some issues with insomnia but taking everything at night put the insomnia into "overdrive".  So I switched back to the split regimen but the crazy insomnia continued....making that simple change flipped a switch in my system with no "going back".  So now I still take the Truvada in the morning along with the Sustiva in 3 doses (200mg ea) to minimize the dizzy side effects.   So I am getting to know my HIV better....she is a bitch who does not like to be slapped around!

So I say if your current regimen works stick with it....a "simple" change may not end up so simple after all.  You have to do what is right for YOU....and you may want to interview some new docs....sometimes we forget that WE are the customer!  (Damn it!)

Be Well....

CRAIG
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:11:22 pm by mrtallguy »
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:57:12 pm »
While I found the casualness of your statement "whenever that may happen to be" kind of... well, casual for adherance one find it hards to argue with the numbers your presented.  Obviously your "whenever that may happen to be" is fairly constant.  I've not ever heard, in my own experience, of just changing meds when they're working but maybe I've missed the boat on that one.  I've been taking meds for 14 years.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:08:17 am »
Hello

Let your doc be affronted. The results speak for themselves. Your doc's concern on timing seems kinda theoretical given 5 years undetectable, but a sound theory, concerned she will be about a slow evolving nuke resistance cos of slightly elongated dosing interval for the Combivir, which can creep up unnoticed.

Me, though, would not be worrying about this too much, more thinking about the long-term side effects.  These are well known, and there is now evidence that AZT affects heart health (partly by damaging the muscle) and increases the risk of diabetes, which is obviously something to consider if you see yourelf getting to zimmer frame age. But not everyone gets them, and you give no indication that AZT in Combivir is causing you any problems. I agree, don't fuck with an effective combo except for a very good reason. I do think the documented effects of long-term AZT use are a good reason from a long term point of view, something to think about, but from what you say, not instantly and immediately compelling.

Stavudine, didanosine and AZT pose diabetes risk in D:A:D study

- matt (in snowbound Brighton)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:48:45 pm »
I am on my first combo. This is only my fifth month on it but I can tell you it is extremely easy to adhere to it. I take both pills at the same time 00.00 hours. I call it Cinderella time. Sustiva is more likely to cause side effects than truvada, and you are already used to it. I think changing combivir for truvada (a one a day regime) can only improve your quality of life.
Juan
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline kiwilondon

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 04:33:44 pm »
hey guys  :)
I feel such a dumb newbie! I've only just seen your replies...so, I haven't been ignoring you I just hadn't found you.
Thanks very much for the warm welcome, Craig :) Interesting what you say, because that's my concern...that a seemingly simple change that looks good turns out to have unintended consequences. I don't want to end up being worse off than I am now, afterall, I have it pretty damn good so why give it up.
But then you get the points raised by Matt...so what's a boy to do??  10 years on AZT, 10 years with no problems at all with it and 10 years undetectable...how big a worry is diabetes and heart disease in the face of that?
Don't know that I'm any closer to knowing what I want to do yet!
cheers
David

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 08:59:36 pm »
An ECG and simple blood/urine tests should be able to say if heart/diabetes is a serious consideration.  If it's been several years and no side effects, then why change? is a damn good question. Many of these things are driven more by prescribing fashion, albeit based on some science, than individualised clinical assessment. Although the long-term side effects are relatively common, they are not universal. If you don;t change now you can always change later (and if you do, change back) - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 10:30:48 pm »
Hey Kiwi....glad to know that you found these replies...or better yet, how to access them! :)

Matt....I'm undecided as to which is more attractive...your knowledge of this disease, your compassionate replies, or your devilish good looks....I'll call it a tie! :)

Be Well....

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:54:07 pm »
Last time I met with the doc (not one I'd met before), she suggested...
Is it possible for you to get any feedback from the previous physician(s) you've had.

Offline twofires

• Artists Farm
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:33:05 am »
upon re-settling in a new area, my new doctor wanted to totally undo a well-working combo and put me back on an old trio. No real reason why, he just wanted to.

After 3 sets of labs during the following months he finally shut up about it, totally and completely to the point where he did not even want to talk about *why* he prefered some drugs over others.

he also accused me of being "suspicious" when I was talking about the confusion between Ranitidine/Famotidine/Previcd/Zantac/Nexium etc (ad nauseum) for acid reflux. As I may *only* take Ranitidine with my Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir I was saying how strangely difficult it is to buy OTC. Suspicious?? I better be, otherwise I'll buy be wrong damn GERD meds and counter-act my HIV meds, right?

Some doctors are just assholes...

I fired him....
Who was it wrote; Give any one species too much rope and they'll fuck it up?
-Roger Waters

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.