Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:03:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anthony Fauci about the cure  (Read 8125 times)

Offline xman

Anthony Fauci about the cure
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:47 pm »
i came across an article of forbes in which anthony fauci from the nih makes a statement about the cure and a vaccine:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelwaldholz/2012/07/23/aids-cure-hype-of-hope-gets-hearing-at-biennial-aids-conference/

please put attention to the following part:

To be fair, Fauci pointed out that the public should understand the idea of ending the pandemic is different from a cure. The science still doesn’t exist to create a vaccine, though teams of scientists are still pursuing it.

for fauci it seems more important to find a vaccine or to extend treatment rather than to find a cure to tide the pandemic!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:44:55 pm by xman »

Offline buginme2

Re: Anthony Fauci about the cure
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:58:01 pm »
Really the only way to end the AIDS pandemic is for there to be an effeictive low cost preventative vaccine.  A cure would be nice but even a cure wouldnt end the AIDS pandemic.  It makes sense that is where they are focusing resources.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline xman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »
here's another article in which fauci explains that a vaccine is closer than a cure:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/19/us-aids-cure-strategy-idUSBRE86I1JL20120719

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:05:21 pm by xman »

Offline LM

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:34 pm »
Both a vaccine and a cure will be necessary to end the AIDS pandemic. And Anthony Fauci seems to have never really cared about a cure. Luckily, others think otherwise.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 05:28:59 pm »
BREAKING CONSPIRACY NEWS  WE'VE HAD THE CURE SINCE 1976!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »
We could cure AIDS overnight, but testing 100% of the globe and then incinerating the unlucky few.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »
Cure schmoore...gimme a once a week pill and I'll be happy camper.

Offline xman

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »
edit.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:58:59 pm by xman »

Offline geobee

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »
From an LA Times article today -- the article was about the new emphasis on a cure:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, called the search for an HIV cure an "aspirational goal." He emphasized that finding a cure is not necessarily synonymous with turning the tide on the AIDS epidemic.

"You can end the AIDS pandemic without necessarily curing anybody," by preventing new transmission and treating those with HIV, he said. "Or you can cure a small number of people and still have the epidemic be raging."

The guy makes my teeth hurt.  Here's the full article:
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-sci-hiv-cure-20120724,0,4054913.story

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:11 am »

The guy makes my teeth hurt. 

You're not supposed to chew on him!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:10:56 pm »
this man doesn't get the fact that it is impossibile to treat every infected person. the cost is prohibitive and even a vaccine would not offer a 100% protection.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:47:41 pm by xman »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 02:15:45 pm »
Really the only way to end the AIDS pandemic is for there to be an effeictive low cost preventative vaccine.  A cure would be nice but even a cure wouldnt end the AIDS pandemic.  It makes sense that is where they are focusing resources.

Anthony Fauci can suck my saggy white tits.

But tell us, oh great thinker, how would a cure not end the pandemic?

MtD

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »
Infection rates would go down with increased test and treat but an END to the Aids will not happen without a cure. In this aspect I think Fauci is a bit naive.

Personally thou I am not overly eager about a cure, mostly because it seems quite distant as of 2012. If the treatment allows me to stay alive with a decent quality of life then thats good enough for me but for future generations I hope the work for a cure continues.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:39:59 pm »
Anthony Fauci can suck my saggy white tits.

But tell us, oh great thinker, how would a cure not end the pandemic?

MtD

Over 6 million hiv positive people in the world still dont even have access to treatment.  Millions more have to take out of date medications such as stavudine and azt due to limited resources.   Any "cure" will come with price tag that is out of reach, even for much of the developed world.   Take Sangamo's gene therapy approach.  Other gene therapy treatments (such as Dendrion's gene therapy approach to prostate cancer cost more than $50,000 per treatment).  Getting an insurance company, or government to pay for such a cure will be difficult at best. Hell most governments still make people wait till their cd4 count drops to 200 before they allow treatment.

Not to mention many people go years with HIV before they are diagnosed. 

A preventstive vaccine that is widely available really is thr most effective way to end the aids pandemic.  Just ask Anthony Fauci, or the Gates Foundation which says:

A vaccine against HIV could have the most profound effect on the AIDS pandemic.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/hivaids/Pages/overview.aspx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »
Over 6 million hiv positive people in the world still dont even have access to treatment.  Millions more have to take out of date medications such as stavudine and azt due to limited resources.   Any "cure" will come with price tag that is out of reach, even for much of the developed world.   Take Sangamo's gene therapy approach.  Other gene therapy treatments (such as Dendrion's gene therapy approach to prostate cancer cost more than $50,000 per treatment).  Getting an insurance company, or government to pay for such a cure will be difficult at best. Hell most governments still make people wait till their cd4 count drops to 200 before they allow treatment.

Not to mention many people go years with HIV before they are diagnosed. 

A preventstive vaccine that is widely available really is thr most effective way to end the aids pandemic.  Just ask Anthony Fauci, or the Gates Foundation which says:

A vaccine against HIV could have the most profound effect on the AIDS pandemic.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/hivaids/Pages/overview.aspx

As usual, you've got things arse about face Bugsy, You're almost right but you don't know why. By definition a cure would end the pandemic but we're not talking about a cure.

There won't be a "cure" for the same reason there won't be a prophylactic vaccine.

HIV is too simple for that.

Now bear with me here -- this is big picture stuff. It requires you to put aside your desire to go back to your pre-HIV straighty-one-eighty lifestyle.

Your problem, along with the rest of the bed wetters who infest the Research forum is that you see HIV as a virus. It's not a virus.

Well not just a virus.

It's a social phenomenon.

As such HIV is and always has been about management. Defeating the pandemic is about giving people control over their sexual lives, educating women and providing basic services.

Access to clean water, good food and reliable infrastructure.

That's what cures AIDS. The "cure" is already with us.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:03 pm »

The "cure" is already with us.

I already mentioned that.

(such as Dendrion's gene therapy approach to prostate cancer cost more than $50,000 per treatment).

How long does it take your average aidsey victim to accrue a bill of $50,000?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »

In Africa? Or most of the places with "aidsey" people....a long time

Offline geobee

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »
Paula Cannon to the rescue!  This is what leadership is about!

"They also spoke with Paula Cannon from the University of Southern California, who is part of a CIRM-funded disease team that’s developing a way of making Brown’s experience more widely available. She said:

What we’re talking about are new kinds of medicines. We certainly don’t have the processes in place to make this cheap and easy yet, but I happen to believe that that’s just an engineering problem. If this works there’s going to be such excitement about this – such a big effort into figuring out how to do it at scale, to do it cheaply, that we’re just going to invent whole different ways of doing medicine."

Right on!  Here's the link:

http://cirmresearch.blogspot.com/2012/07/cirm-hivaids-disease-team-making-news.html

Offline Rockin

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »
What about the whole "its not in the interest of huge labs to make medicine more accessible" conspiracy theory? Isn't there some truth to that? It's one of things that make me lose hope of better/more effective/less expensive medicine.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:22 pm »
at $2,500 per month for meds, medicare/SC medicaid/SC extra-help will pay out $50k in 20 months, just a little over a year and a half. The cost alone of my three or four hospitalizations with teh untreated AIDS would make a $50k treatment much more cost-effective
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:05 am »
I dont think Fauci is a cure guy, he has done alot of research in the field but not to develop a cure. From my understanding he is nowadays spending his time as a board member and a medical semi-celebrity.

A cure or at least a formula for a cure will come from a small research team such as Cannon, Sangamo or Bionor.

Just like Barre-Sioussi says:
"We need to work with open minds. The HIV cure may come from young non-HIV researchers bringing novel innovative ideas. I am convinced that we have a lot to learn from other areas of biomedical research. We also need to increase collaboration between the academic and private sectors."
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline elf

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 03:12:29 pm »
I don't believe in a vaccine (at least not in near future), but in chemotherapy.
Many anticancer drugs can get HIV out of our cells (like vorinostat/Zolinza)...Once in blood it can be subjected to HAART.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.