Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:45:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 275
Total: 275

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My plumbing needs fixing  (Read 4791 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
My plumbing needs fixing
« on: July 09, 2006, 07:23:50 am »
 >:(

I called a plumber yesterday, to get an estimate on replacing the 17 year old hot water tank. There is so much corrosion, that the hot water barely trickles out, which makes showering quite a pain in the rump.

To purchase a new tank, and have it installed, would cost 950.00.  A big, big OUCH, and way out of line !!

I have installed these before myself, I have been feeling a little under the weather lately, but for 950.00, I think I am not so under the weather.

I will go to HOMO depot, buy the tank and install it myself.... :P The only problem is the space this short tank has to go in.  I will be bent and twisted like a pretzel... I will manage.. 8)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: My plumbing needs fixing
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 09:04:38 am »
$950 for a darn hot water heater?  YIKES!   :o

You're braver than I am in trying to install it yourself though.  (gas or electric?).

Good luck Ray  (Who might need a chiropractor/masseuse after the project is over)

RAB

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:52:57 am »
Can I have the  worn out 17 year old Hottie ? ( just couldnt resist)    You may want to get ahold of a Handyman service if you run into anything you cant do, Ive used Handyman Connection with pretty good results and they usually are less than a Tradesman, Id suggest doing absolutely everything you can yourself in order to cut down on labor. Dont be afraid to throw some burgers on the Barbie, or some crab in the pot or beer in the fridge or whatever, and invite some friends over for a hand... at least in taking the old one out and getting the newbie into its spot...
Think of it as the indoor plumbing version of a Barn Raising...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 10:40:19 am »
Uh oh.................be careful!  I worked for Sears for 6 years and was in charge of the contractors who installed water heaters.  It is not as easy as you think it is and you also need a permit and an inspection done..........I know that sounds like a lot of money, and it is.................but trust me when I say it is not a slam dunk!  Might want to re-think that decision.  If not, good luck!  You can always call 1-800-4-MY-HOME, that's Sears and they can help you find a plumber in your area if you get into a pinch!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:26:09 pm »
$950 for a darn hot water heater?  YIKES!   :o

You're braver than I am in trying to install it yourself though.  (gas or electric?).

Good luck Ray  (Who might need a chiropractor/masseuse after the project is over)

RAB

Yep, thats exactly what I said. when the plumber quoted $950.00.   I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night !! :P  I have installed many hot water tanks through the years. so none of this is new to me. I have all the proper tools for the job. Just have to get some more propane, for sweating the joints together.

It's an electric tank, so there is no problem with making the electrical connections. I have all the proper electrical meters etc. And I  am going up to a forty gallon tank from a thirty gallon. There is no need to change the current circuit breakers out in the box or do any rewiring.

I did a fast check on line today. I can get a 40 gallon tank for less then 300.00.

I have vacation starting this Friday, so hopefully I will have it completed sometime Saturday. No rush ! Ed, ( my partner) suggested I change it out. When I told him I was going to do it, he kind of gave me that eyeball look of his. What he was actually saying was " I don't want any tantrums !! ;D

I like doing these projects... Makes me feel useful. The dishwasher is next to go.

Lwood you can have the worn out 17 year old hottie ! I warn ya, it's short and stubby, and a little crusty ;)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:27:46 pm »
Ray...when I first saw the subject line, I thought to myself...Yeah.  Me too.  I need my plumbing 'FIXED"
But I see you're actually quite serious.  These days plumbers and electricians are like doctors...and they charge
like "new" professionals too.  ...YIKES! :o

But of course I think you were talking about replacing the hot water heater yourself.  Oh My...How butch! :-*
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 06:30:11 pm by david25luvit »
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline randym431

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:01:19 pm »
Hi Ray
Isnt home ownership just WONDERFUL???
All these little goodies to wake up to each day.
Not like the good old days when we just called the landlord and "poof", it was fixed.
Before I owned, my sister would act like "you rent...poor poor dear."
Now I just say "get out of here". Renting has major advantages.
And after all, most will never actually have that home paid off till your very very (very very very) old...
Then the taxes will = your mortgage payments anyway, by then.

Sorry to go off track, but I know all too well. Either its the water heater, the furnace, ants, mice, trees in the yard that fall from a storm, the lawn mower breaks, the roof, new siding, termites, and then there are always those "nasty" neighbors you're stuck living next to FOREVER.  :D

But...ANyway...
$950 is really out of line. I'd say $500-ish for a new one installed.
Have you called around much? When I needed a new furnace, the price range was $1500 to $4500.
And the $1500 guy/company ended up doing the nicest job and put in a new water heater to boot (since they were there) for under $400. That was back 5 years ago.

Good luck!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:20:28 pm »
Either its the water heater, the furnace, ants, mice, trees in the yard that fall from a storm, the lawn mower breaks, the roof, new siding, termites, and then there are always those "nasty" neighbors you're stuck living next to FOREVER.  :D

Randy are you hiding somewhere in my home and I don’t know about it. LOL!  ;D

Ray a few years ago I switched my electric water heater for a direct-vented propane-gas heater because it was cheaper to operate. not anymore where propane has gone up from .99 a gallon then to now over $3.50 a gallon now. Can’t win for losing.

Terry

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.