Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:37:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 277
Total: 277

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The things we put in our mouths  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
The things we put in our mouths
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:49:11 pm »
I come from a long line of lousy cooks.

Maybe it's the England in New England that made my grandmother insist roast beef wasn't roasted enough until it was bone-dry and stringy, or that a true supper could be enjoyed by dumping a can of crabmeat and some canned peas into a jar of white sauce and spreading such gruel on Saltine crackers.

Saturday was always Yankee soul-food night: One can each of kidney- and pea-beans (universally called "big" and "Little" beans, respectively) and a hot dog burned in oleomargarine, served with a fetid confection called "brown bread" (a brown cylinder of mealy yuckiness flavored with molasses and raisins, ribbed from the can it came from, steamed to warmth).

My mother, in between swills of Miller Lite and 20mgs of Valium, would concoct what seemed like an infinitly-diverse menu of indigestible terrors. Her fried baloney and white-bread toast served with broccoli still sends shivers down my spine. But her worst, most evil evening meal, guaranteed to send even the heartiest colons bolting for the powder room in a sweaty panic, had to be her unnamable high-fat-hamburgers-swimming-in-canned-gravy presented in a bowl and served with potatoes mashed to a runny fluid.

As a young adult I'd wonder where the inspiration for these horrors came from, as none of the women in my family were unduly burdened with creativity. The mystery haunted me for years until one day last week I came across this website:

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/spec.html

It's now all too apparent now. And a spoiler (in every sense of the term): The secret ingredient to turn anything salty pink? Canned beets

Brent
(Who wonders how he survived)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: The things we put in our mouths
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:08:33 pm »
Oh Brent,

How I miss the tastyness of Knudsens' Extra Rich milk......

Oh well, living in the desert does have it's drawbacks.  Being that I am an absolutely nutso fan of the fifties and sixties, this link will surely give me loads of entertainment. 

Thank you my friend.

Yours,
(who is always in awe of Bucko's life experiences and recall)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:31:20 pm »
And people think growing up in the South as well as having Jewish family is a drawback.  In terms of fooding, it was pretty sweet.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I need to fry something.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:34:46 pm »
Fried food is the best!
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:38:34 pm »
The topic of this thread could make a person Giggle....but now that I've read the actual post I fully appreciate
the difference between good and bad food.  As a teenager I had to go on a BoyScout campout to enjoy my
first pancake.  My mother's version was to say the least YUCK!  And so it was with many dishes I once hated...
knowing how to properly prepare food allowed me to enjoy many edible delights that at one time I found unpalatable.

In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Bucko

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 02:35:21 pm »
The topic of this thread could make a person Giggle....but now that I've read the actual post I fully appreciate
the difference between good and bad food.  As a teenager I had to go on a BoyScout campout to enjoy my
first pancake.  My mother's version was to say the least YUCK!  And so it was with many dishes I once hated...
knowing how to properly prepare food allowed me to enjoy many edible delights that at one time I found unpalatable.

Davie-

Liver will always remain one of life's greater mysteries, however.

I neglected to add that I am actually a rather accomplished cook now. But my taste buds are burned through from all the smoking, so I do tend to lean heavily on the spices.

Brent
(Who makes a mean rabbit stew)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:29 pm »
Liz and I do that, too.

We've had taste bud Auschwitz in our mouths since 1999, so we load up on hot sauce and various other spicy deliciousness.

When we cook for non-smoking friends, they tend to gulp water like crazy while we're like, "What?  This is bland."

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 02:40:03 pm »
Bucko

Don't tell me you kill and eat em bunnies.

MURDERER!!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:41:27 pm »
The cuter the animal, the more delicious the eating.

This explains why babies...

I've said too much.

Offline Bucko

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:46:16 pm »
Bucko

Don't tell me you kill and eat em bunnies.

MURDERER!!!!

I'm off to work, kids. But I have a grand story to tell about "rabbit" stew when I return.

;D
Brent
(Who never, ever will buy another rabbit from an Arab)

Offline Bucko

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 02:49:13 pm »
The cuter the animal, the more delicious the eating.

This explains why babies...

I've said too much.

Ugly babies are chewy, anal babies are especially yummy.

Brent
(Who knows too much)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 02:53:43 pm »
Brent
(Who makes a mean rabbit stew)

Do you overrun them with a pickup yourself or do you leave this job to others?

Anyway, great link. Yummy pictures. ;D
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:59 pm »
Divine put poodle poop in her mouth for the sake of art.  "She" did not die as a result.

Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline scotttt

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »
"Miller Lite and 20mgs of Valium"

I prefer Corona Lite and Vicodin followed by Jack In The Box bacon cheeseburgers.  Ahhh, those were the days.  Nowadays, I will take Starbucks coffee followed by tube-steak.

Scott (who is now a non-drinking aspiring vegan).

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 03:14:46 pm »
"Miller Lite and 20mgs of Valium"

I prefer Corona Lite and Vicodin followed by Jack In The Box bacon cheeseburgers.  Ahhh, those were the days.  Nowadays, I will take Starbucks coffee followed by tube-steak.

Scott (who is now a non-drinking aspiring vegan).

Scott,

Why vegan?

Al

(who will NEVER stop eating red meat)

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 03:18:17 pm »
Oh ladies

Did you know that in a country in Asia they eat pickled fetuses and babies?

Not kidding you.

I saw some pictures but I do not dare to post them here because they are simply too disgusting but if you want the link PM me.

Al

Offline scotttt

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 03:18:52 pm »
Al, actually one of my dearest friends is an animal rights attorney.  She has a smokin' hot body and she turned me on to the whole vegan thing for health reasons and because I love animals.  I also saw the following video, and it made it really hard to eat meat after that.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-513747926833909134

Scott

Edited to add:

There was a study done comparing Seventh Day Adventists to Mormons.  Both groups eschew alcohol, tobacco, etc. but the Adventists don't eat meat.  The Adventists live significantly longer than the Mormons.  Adventists have longer lifespans than the average American.  Also vegetarians have lower rates of cancer and heart disease than meat eaters.  Add to this the hormones and antibiotics fed to farm animals that we consume, along with the parasites these creatures pass onto us, well, meat just doesn't sound too good to me anymore.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:23:22 pm by scotttt »

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:23:52 pm »
bucko.

I do not wish to read the bunnie stew story.

Offline scotttt

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 03:27:34 pm »
"I do not wish to read the bunnie stew story. "

Rob and I had a bunny named "Bunniqua".  I loved that bunny!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 03:58:58 pm »
Why choose one or the other?

Pancake AND bunny.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 04:08:57 pm »
I'm more of a crispy duck pancake man myself

Quack quack.....

I'm going to hell I know!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Bucko

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 01:27:43 am »
OK, kids...gather 'round. Uncle Bucko's got a nice story.

WARNING!!!
ALTHOUGH NO BUNNIES WERE HARMED IN THE EVENTS DESCRIBED BELOW, IT STILL MIGHT DISTURB FINER, MORE DELICATE SENSIBILITIES.

When I lived in Paris my boyfriend, Jean-Marc, gave me three tips for buying rabbit at a butcher.

1) Never buy a rabbit on weekends;
2) Never buy a rabbit without it's head still attached;
3) AND MOST IMPORTANT: Never never buy a rabbit from an Arab.

His mother taught me a great recipe for a white-wine mustard sauce with mushrooms. It's a very traditional meal in Europe, and tasty, too. But one mustn't look too closely at the bones, because they are decidedly odd and might disturb you if you think about it too much.

Fast forward to fall/winter 1992. Jean-Marc died in April of that year and I came home to Boston almost directly. I was in such a state of grief and depression that I didn't know what to do with my life. An ex helped me out by arranging for me to work at a bakery in Quincy Market, and I quickly became the night manager, responsible for the nightly deposits, etc.

Anyways, that fall/winter we hired a new kid to help me with the chores and customers. He was about 19, straight, and lived for House Of Pain and Mudhoney...kinda post-post-punk. He wore plaid shorts and striped shirts (or concert Ts), big Doc Martens (like mine, steel-toed and high-laced) and that ilk. His name was Michael, and we bonded in an odd kinda way.

Michael came to work one day with a bleached-out crewcut, and I was in thrall. I had always wanted to go Madonna blonde, and was most interested when he said that he does the same hair cut/color for his friends. I asked him what he'd want to do mine the same way, and he requested my famous rabbit stew that I'd raved about non-stop (but hadn't actually prepared since returning from Paris).

The deal was sealed, and we arranged a mutually-suitable time. As our schedules were not identical, we finally decided on the following Friday night. Without thinking again about it, I set that evening aside and did some shopping for all the ingrediants, saving the rabbit itself for last.

Boston has an Italian part of town called the North End, where I'd seen rabbits sold at numerous butchers for years. But that specific day no one had one. It was late on a Friday night (the beginning of a weekend) when I finally turned in desperation to the haymarket district, whjich is not the North End, its distinctly seedier. But it was my last chance before scrapping the whole idea in favor of a simple Coq au Vin (chicken).

The last butcher was about to close when I walked in. I walked to the counter and asked the clerk if he had any rabbits. Not understanding my request, he called to his associate in back. As the door swung open, I distincly heard Middle-Eastern music coming from the back.

The second gentleman, all hairy arms and big moustache finally agreed that, yes he had a rabbit...a fine rabbit...the best rabbit. he spun on his heels and returned from the back moments later carrying a small foam plate shrink-wrapped in celophane. It was what looked like a small animal skinned and cut into pieces, but had no head. It was frozen. He wanted $15 for it, which sounded expensive, but I didn't feel like bargaining and paid him.

As I prepared the meat, it looked OK, but different, somehow. The front legs were much too lean...no meat on them to speak of. In fact the entire thing looked a little lean. I figured that freezing had some odd effect on it and tried to remain positive. I presumed that it would "flesh out" in the lovely aromatic pot I'd prepared.

As it cooked, the apartment filled with an odor I'd never encounterd before. I smelled nothing like my familiar rabbit recipe. I tried to blame it on the American herbs or the flour, but knew that I was somehow mistaken.

Michael arrived at the appointed hour and I showed him in. he immediately noticed the aroma wafting from the kitchen and asked why it didn't smell like his mother's rabbit stew (Michael had an old-school Irish mum who emigrated to Boston in the 60s). I explained that I was using a genuine French recipe, and that obviously he was used to something less savory.

I cracked open a decent bottle of Cotes du Rhone and started serving the stew, which I served with my famous oven-roasted potatoes, making sure to dole out several healthy chunks of meat and spreading the white wine/mustard/mushroom sauce everywhere. We sat down and each took a mouthful, then looked at each other strangely.

"Where did you get this meat?"
"At the Haymarket, it was the only place that had it."
"That Lebanese place?"
My eyes got bigger. Jean-Marc's words rang in my head...
Not on weekends...
Always with a head...
Never from an Arab...

I dropped my fork.
"I'm not sure this is a rabbit."
"It sure doesn't taste like one."
"But what else could it be?"
Michael's face turned pale and he took a big swig of wine, then let out a huge "Meow".

Luckily he still did my hair, and I ordered a pizza for us, meatless.

;D
Brent
(Who is ever the gourmet)

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 04:44:06 am »
Thank you Bucks for this very entertaining story!    ;D

I haven't tried a white wine/mustard sauce with rabbit (mind sharing the recipe?), I usually go for a fruity-aromatic cider/apple/calvados combination. By the way, it's common practice among the local bunch of marketenders to leave an unskinned paw on the beast, not the whole head. The reason behind it is the same, tho.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 11:37:11 am »
--Note to self: If/when Brent ever comes to dinner...hide kitties--

;D

Mlle Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:22 pm »
So Bucko...tell us true. How was the pussycat stew??? :P  Cute story...reminds me of another one of your stories.

I too consider myself an excellent cook...having been in fine dinning for over thirty years and having worked with some
incredibly talented chefs.  Far from my humble beginnings as a redneck boy scout patrol leader who dazzled the boys
flipping flapjacks on an open campfire.  Those were the days....so many lads and so little time. ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline mjmel

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 12:29:32 pm »
 Most entertaining, non-rabbit and oddly disgusting in one funny storytime tale.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »
Never from an Arab...??

Why Bucko?

Offline Bucko

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 02:23:53 pm »
Never from an Arab...??

Why Bucko?

I have learned that in life, as in geometry, some truths just are.

Most entertaining, non-rabbit and oddly disgusting in one funny storytime tale.

See? Not all my tales from the dark side end in deep colonics  ;D

So Bucko...tell us true. How was the pussycat stew??? :P  Cute story...reminds me of another one of your stories.

Davie-
I have told it once before in the "old" OT forum. I probably hijacked one of Lwood's cooking threads.

--Note to self: If/when Brent ever comes to dinner...hide kitties--

;D

Mlle Melia :-*

Mel-
Never fear...I no longer eat pussy.

Thank you Bucks for this very entertaining story!    ;D

I haven't tried a white wine/mustard sauce with rabbit (mind sharing the recipe?), I usually go for a fruity-aromatic cider/apple/calvados combination. By the way, it's common practice among the local bunch of marketenders to leave an unskinned paw on the beast, not the whole head. The reason behind it is the same, tho.

Maybe we should swap recipes, yours sounds great. There's a restaurant in Quebec City called Le Lapin Saute and it features rabbit almost exclusively. I had the variety platter with three different preparations...MMMMMMMMMMM  ;D

Brent
(Who eats what he likes)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 05:46:28 pm »
Scottt, Fess up buddy, we al know that you're not a vegan because you love animals, it's really because you hate plants. The truth will set you free...
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:18 pm »
You know... I could totally pass Megatron off as a rabbit. 

Yes... yes...

I am rubbing my hands in evil glee.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 06:02:23 pm »
Matty the Damned has little regard for vegetarians. In his experience such people should be avoided as they smell funny, are crawling with lice and treat their choice of dietary practice as some sort of "lifestyle".

When I was at University, my campus offered a theatre degree. Consequently there was an abundance of appalling people that one had to suffer. Living in a student home meant that meals were cooked collectively and there were often visitors at tea time.

One more than one occasion I had to cook vegetable soup or some such other muck to accomodate the prissy middle class dietary whims of some unwashed refugee from Method Acting and Holistic Dancing 103. In uncharacteristic displays of passive aggression, I would always use chicken stock (made from brutalised battery hens) as the secret base for my culinary offerings.

Such meals met with acclaim from our vegan guests.

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2007, 06:45:18 pm »
Richmond has a high proportion of vegans and vegetarians.

Thank you, VCU art school.

Back when I had a nice apartment, I became known for my lavish and debauched Midnight Brunches.

One was particularly memorable because my friend Margo and I (who did all the cooking) pan-fried some meaty delicious sausages... and then proceeded to use the same pan and oil for the veg sausages.

We were asked what our secret was... because the soy sausages were extra delicious.

It didn't come out until the fourth Bloody Mary or so... and they were angry with us... but we laughed and laughed and laughed.

They said they couldn't believe that I would do that on purpose because I used to be a vegetarian (which is true). 

You think some people know you...

Benj
(Who also used to give his practicing Jewish friends ham and cheese Hot Pockets in high school.)

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2007, 07:15:58 pm »
One more than one occasion I had to cook vegetable soup or some such other muck to accomodate the prissy middle class dietary whims of some unwashed refugee from Method Acting and Holistic Dancing 103. In uncharacteristic displays of passive aggression, I would always use chicken stock (made from brutalised battery hens) as the secret base for my culinary offerings.

Such meals met with acclaim from our vegan guests.

MtD

Oh Matty

You made me laugh there. Your writing turns me on...

Al

(Who is more into someone's sense of humor than dick size)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2007, 07:17:57 pm »
(Who is more into someone's sense of humor than dick size)

What? He has a small peepee?

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline fearless

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2007, 07:35:55 pm »
It's now all too apparent now. And a spoiler (in every sense of the term): The secret ingredient to turn anything salty pink? Canned beets
Brent
(Who wonders how he survived)

Brent,
You haven't lived until you've had an Australian hamburger: beetroot (beets, to you guys) comes standard. 'With the lot', means throw a fried egg and bacon to the mix (pineapple ring optional - personally, i think that is sacrelig.)

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2007, 07:43:17 pm »
You haven't lived until you've had an Australian hamburger: beetroot (beets, to you guys) comes standard. 'With the lot', means throw a fried egg and bacon to the mix (pineapple ring optional - personally, i think that is sacrelig.)

Absolutely. People who put pineapple on hamburgers (or pizzas for that matter) should be drowned in a vat of boiling pig jizz.

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2007, 07:46:06 pm »
Hmmm, sounds yummy. I love beets. In fact, I love just about any food.

I even like vegans - pan fried!  ;)

I'll eat anything that doesn't get out of my way fast enough, and a few things that have tried.

HUGGLES,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2007, 07:50:48 pm »
Oh, Bucko...I'm about to puke after reading that cat story...it was very disurbing for me and I feel faint... :-[
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 10:52:59 pm »
Just saying.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2007, 03:34:44 am »
Mel-
Never fear...I no longer eat pussy.

I sooo saw that one coming! ::)

Miss Melia :-*
(who would be happy to have Brent over for dinner anytime)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2007, 09:06:16 pm »
This thread reminds of a cookbook that came out YEARS ago by Billi Gordon called...

You've Had Worse things In Your Mouth!  ;D
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 09:46:35 am »
The rabbit stew story is funny.  Mother always told me the same thing about buying rabbit meat and never understood until now.  OMG, inow if I buy rabbit meat, I am going to always wonder whether it's rabbit or cat.   

In any event, care to share the recipe ?
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 11:33:09 am »
When i was a kid, I used to hunt with my father and brother. We only killed what we would eat, and my dad made The Best fried rabbit, and the gravy was to die for. The secret, is to parboil the rabbit in a pressure cooker, then bread it, and fry.
We dined on pheasant, and the absolute best turtle stew I have ever tasted.(you know they have 7 different kinds of meat)
I had mastered the art of cooking rattlesnake when I lived in Oklahoma for a short stint as a newlywed. I actually miss having it.
For an equally brief stint, my ex hubby and I used to raise, and dress rabbits. Flemings are really the best for taste, and tenderness.
As for other slightly out of the way food items, I have prepared muskrat, squirrel,crawdads, and smoked my own catfish.
See what you've started?
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 11:53:11 am »
Has anyone had fried Nutria ?
Sustiva / Truvada

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 12:30:44 pm »
When I first saw that, I thought you said fried Nutella... and I was about to freak out because Nutella has to be the best shit ever... but it's probably impossible to fry... considering it's a spread.

Then, I saw that you did not, in fact, say Nutella.

Poop.

Offline Cerrid

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:58 am »
As for other slightly out of the way food items, I have prepared muskrat, squirrel,crawdads, and smoked my own catfish.
See what you've started?

Makes me think. If mankind had eaten up all chimpanzees and green meerkats before 1930, we would have one big problem less now. Like, who knows what bugs dodos would have bred if we hadn't finished them early on?

Offline koi1

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 09:28:28 am »
Scott and I used to dress rabbits too. We would dress up Buniqua and Lola in drag and take pictures. We loved those bunnies. They died and it broke our hearts.

:( :( :(
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Bucko

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 11:20:59 am »
Bunnies are adorable. Rabbits are delicious...so is horse (chevaline).

Brent
(Who is fond of red meat)

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 11:52:50 am »
For Benj ...

Fried Nutella Ravioli
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

16 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 cup Nutella
Vegetable oil, for frying
16 fresh mint leaves
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
Granulated sugar, for dredging
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap.

Place 1 wonton wrapper on the work surface. Brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with egg. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate-hazelnut spread into the center of the wrapper.

Fold the wrapper diagonally in half over the filling and press the edges of the wrapper to seal. Place the ravioli on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers, egg, and chocolate-hazelnut spread.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Add enough oil to a heavy large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.

Working in batches, carefully add the ravioli to the hot oil and cook until they are golden brown, about 45 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Then, transfer the cooked ravioli to another baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while frying the remaining ravioli.

(The fried ravioli can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool them completely, then cover and refrigerate. Before serving, place them on a baking sheet and rewarm in a preheated 375 degrees F oven just until they are heated through, about 7 minutes.)
Spray the top side of the mint leaves very lightly with nonstick spray. Working with 1 leaf at a time, dredge the coated side of the leaves in sugar to coat lightly.

Arrange 2 fried ravioli on each plate. Dust the ravioli with powdered sugar. Garnish with the sugared mint leaves and serve.

Modified: to correct problems with post.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:56:23 am by budndallastx »
Sustiva / Truvada

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 12:31:44 pm »
Oh God, that sounds amazing.

Liz and I shall make that someday soon!  And eat them like the fatties we are!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.