Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:24:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 228
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Not just another fingering question...  (Read 20355 times)

Offline A0727

Not just another fingering question...
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:44:04 pm »
I apologize to those who have already read my thread on the MedHelp forum.

On May 22, I had vaginal intercourse with a friend (white, heterosexual, male, non IV drug user, never been in prison). He was very intoxicated, while I had had nothing to drink. He asked me if I wanted to use a condom and I said yes, but I'm not 100% sure that he put it on, though I think he did. We proceeded to have sex for about 2 minutes and I told him to tell me before he ejaculated so he wouldn't do it inside of me and I don't believe he did, though I'm not sure.

I was tested 6 weeks afterwards with the OraQuick Advance oral swab test, which came back negative and about 4 or 5 weeks after the act the guy told me that he had been tested recently and didn't have anything (I don't know if he got tested for HIV), though I'm not sure how many partners he has had (and I'm not sure how reliable his word is. He has a tendency to lie).

What I am wondering is:
1. What are my chances that I could have contracted the disease?
2. I plan on retesting in two weeks to make it 9 weeks, then again at 13 weeks (to be conclusive), but I just want to know how re-liable my 6 week test was.
3. Would this be considered a high or low risk situation and how do you determine that?
4. Six weeks before I took my first test I took Plan B (morning after pill just to make sure). Does the morning after pill have any effect on antibody detection?
5. Does it matter how active/non-active a person is when seroconverting? Like if a person is more sedentary than not would the antibodies be detected later?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Worried about possible exposure?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:01:31 pm »
It seems to me as if you very likely had protected intercourse. If that is so then you weren't at risk for HIV transmission during this incident.

So your fears seem to me to be pretty much based on what ifs.

Since there is the possibility that a condom was not used, albeit a slight one since the guy offered to use it, getting tested is a good idea.

Your pills would not affect the reliability of your test results. Nor would your being less active affect the level of risk if it was unprotected intercourse.

Get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I expect will be a negative result.

The only real danger I see in this situation is something you have to pay attention to in the future. You are responsible for your own health. So you have to look and see and make certain any guy you're with is actually wearing a condom. If you are shy or whatever else is going on about the issue, get over it. We're talking about protecting your life so get real about this issue.

I expect you to come out of this ok this time.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline A0727

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:39 pm »
Andy, thank you, I really appreciate your quick response and informative answer.

Offline A0727

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:31:40 pm »
Ok, so I am completely freaking out now. I keep reading that 6 weeks is a good indicator of the conclusive result, but now everywhere I look it says 6-8 weeks. I'm so anxious. I think I'm getting completely OCD about this and I still have to make it to next Thursday or Friday to test at 9 weeks. I just keep thinking I'm going to test positive after my negative 6 weeks test. And I've read that the OraQuick Advance rapid oral tests aren't as reliable as other...and that's only fueling my worry. I just don't know what to do.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 05:17:43 am »
You didn't have a risk and this is not an OCD forum. Seek professional mental help.

Offline A0727

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:06:10 pm »
Sorry Rod, but I have to disagree with you about there being no risk. There is a possibility that a condom was not used, so therefore it would be a risk. I guess I was just looking for a little support and understanding.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »
I don't know where you found that 6-8 weeks thing, but it's wrong.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. If you test negative at 6 weeks, which is what I am expecting, it makes the likelihood that you will continue to test negative very, very likely.

Good luck with that test. Keep breathing. I expect things to work out for you.
Andy Velez

Offline A0727

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
I've been reading many of the threads on the expert forum on MedHelp and sometimes the doctors say test at 6 weeks and sometimes they say 6 - 8 weeks. That's where I got it from and it just makes me think that maybe I should have waited two more weeks to test instead of testing at 6 weeks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:16:20 pm »
6-8 weeks is the information that is given at ID clinic I go to along with a disclaimer. "A negative test result earlier than three month does not mean that you are not infected."

Offline A0727

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:39:24 am »
Rod, I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me. Are you saying that my 6 week test isn't reliable? I know I have to get tested at thee months for a conclusive result, but your response is making me think that my result is likely to change.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 02:18:51 am »
That's not what is was said at all. If you test positive at 6 weeks and it's confirmed then you are indeed positive. What was said is a conclusive negative result is obtain at 3 months post exposure.

Offline A0727

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 03:43:36 pm »
I didn't test positive at 6 weeks though. I tested negative. I just don't get what you're trying to tell me. I'm just confused.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 06:07:52 pm »
If the sexual encounter was unprotected then you need to test at 13 weeks to confirm a negative result received at 6 weeks.

I expect that you will test negative at 13 weeks.

MtD

Offline A0727

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 08:12:56 pm »
I couldn't wait another four weeks of me feeling the way I did, so I got tested today with the OraQuick Advance oral swab test and it came back negative. It's been 9 weeks (62 days) and I'm still really scared, but feel a bit better after my negative test. It's still going to kill me to wait another four weeks. The one thing that did bother me is that the lady who tested me said that It was useless to test now because nothing will show up until 90 days. That definitely got me worried again. It seems as if everything I've read on this forum and on MedHelp about 6 weeks, 9 weeks, etc. negatives being a good indicator is false according to this lady.  ???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 03:34:23 am »
You have been told over and over again that a conclusive negative test is 3 months even on MedHelp.

Offline A0727

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 09:19:46 am »
Yes, I understand that three months is conclusive, I'm not saying it isn't, which is why I'm still going to be tested then, but I've also read that 6, 8 weeks can be a good indicator, which is why what the lady said concerned me.

I have a general question regarding the OraQuick Advance oral tests: How long does it normally take for a positive line to show up. I know you're supposed to wait at least 20 minutes to read the results but does the positive line show up while the pink fluid goes up the window or will it show up after the pink has all cleared?

Also, the lady had me do kind of a "windmill" circle across my gums and cheeks will the swab thing. I've read that you're not supposed to touch it to your cheeks. Did I do the test wrong? (This test was taken at a free HIV testing clinic if that helps)

Thanks a lot.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:18 am »
A,

Maybe the lady just doesn't want you showing up every other day for testing. I'm quite sure she knows what she's doing when testing people. Test centers are in the buisness of diagnosing hiv, not screwing up tests.

Your result is unlikely to change.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline A0727

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 02:12:46 am »
I have a couple of questions regarding seroconversion:

Monday I'm getting an MRI with contrast die. Will having an x-ray done with contrast dye affect the detection of antibodies? Or will it delay the detection?

And does multiple sclerosis delay seroconversion? I'm getting tested to rule out multiple sclerosis because for the past couple of days my body has been pretty much completely numb including my face and I'm worried I may have MS.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 06:02:44 am »
NO and NO.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 06:56:59 am »
A,

Your test results are unlikely to change when you get your confirmation at three months and no, none of the details you've come up with change that nor will they affect seroconversion etc.

In future, why don't you just reach down and feel for yourself if there's a condom on the dick someone is putting inside you. Save yourself all this heartache and testing. OK?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline A0727

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:45 pm »
So, Tuesday I'm going for my 3 months (90 days) test. I'm so scared that I don't want to do it, but I know I have to. I've just been feeling like such crap lately that I know something bad is bound to happen. Ugh!

Offline atlq

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 11:41:37 pm »
Feeling like like crap will not change the result. You tested negative twice, at six and nine weeks. I agee with Andy, Ann, Rod, and MtD. Your earlier results are unlikely to change...

edited for typo...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:45:57 am by atlq »
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline A0727

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 09:34:49 pm »
Oh, does it make a difference whether you get tested at 89 days or 90? Should I wait the extra day? I'm just so anxious to get my result.

And is the OraQuick Advance oral test okay for conclusive results or should I go and get a blood test from my doctor?

Thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 03:33:43 am »
There is no difference between 89 and 90 days.

Go and test and collect the inevitable negative result.

MtD

Offline A0727

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 03:30:53 pm »
So, I went for my test at 89 days. It came back negative. I'm so happy, but am still a little nervous. The man who did my test said people don't normally show antibodies until 95 days, which kind of threw me off. And for some reason I keep doubting the accuracy of the oral swab test.

Also, I know this is not a stress forum, but does anyone know if stressing out can cause numbness, tingling, and muscle jerks in your fingers and toes. Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 03:49:01 pm »
A,

The man who did your test was wrong. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

Your test result is conclusive. In the UK and most other European countries, the window period is twelve weeks (84 days). The difference between the twelve week and thirteen week window period is ... silly, really. There is no difference. We use the same tests on this side of the pond as they do on your side of the pond.

If the oral swab test is going to be wrong, it's going to be wrong in the other direction, by which I mean a false POSITIVE.

Stress can absolutely cause the kind of problems you describe, but so can a lot of other things. If it continues to bother you, SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv. You ARE hiv negative.

Please, make CERTAIN condoms are being used in future so you don't have to go through this doubt again. You have hands, use them to feel that there really is a condom on that penis before it is put inside you. Don't be shy, FEEL!

It's your health - and your health is your responsibility. No glove, no love. It's a simple as that.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline A0727

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 01:27:02 am »
Hi, I had a past exposure and tested out to 88 days and everything turned out alright. However, I'm afraid I might have had another recent exposure.

Recently I've been told /i might have OCD of my frequent hand washing for the past few weeks. My hands aren't really bad, but they are flaking a bit and cracking, which has caused a few cuts. My mm noticed this and called my doctor to get a medicated type soap and the nurse said to make sure I moisturize really well because I could catch a blood borne infection. Now I'm concerned that I may have touched someone's hand in the past few weeks that might have been HIV+ and their blood might have gotten into one of my cuts or something when one was bleeding. I don't shake hands with people or outright touch their hands or anything, but I'm afraid someone's hand might have brushed up against mine and gotten fresh blood in one of my cuts. I look at my hands often and I haven't noticed any blood other than mine I don't think. Could I have been infected? What is my risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 06:41:58 am »
Seek professional mental help.

Offline A0727

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:35 am »
I am seeking professional mental help, thank you. I don't need advice on my mental status. I'm simply asking whether or not this is a risk, because apparently you can get the disease from having open wounds or cuts.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 07:16:14 am »
A,

Handshaking falls into the catagory of casual contact and casual contact is not a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected in the manner you're imagining and you aren't going to be the first.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to hash out your OCD issues. That's what your therapist is for. Come back with more of this blood on hands nonsense and you'll be given a time out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline A0727

Not just another fingering question...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 05:59:03 pm »
I've been googling an searching forums in search of a situation similar to mine before posting to the forum, but have failed.

I'm a female and this past weekend a friend of mine fingered my vagina. I'm sure he might have touched himself before fingering me, though I'm not sure how long before. I'm almost positive there wasn't semen on his hands, though there could have been pre-ejaculate. I've read conflicting information about fingering and it's risk. I've mostly read that it is not a risk, but does this "no risk" include whether or not there was semen or pre-ejaculate inserted into a vagina? Also, this is what has been really bothering me: because of my OCD, I have a tendency to wipe hard and wipe multiple times when using the bathroom which can cause small cuts on my vagina. I guess you could think of them as herpes-like cuts, although I've been tested for herpes via blood tests and cultures and do not have it, but nonetheless I still sometimes have cuts down there. I don't think I had any at the time of the fingering, because I probably would have felt them, but would a cut on my vagina increase my risk if I did have one and then was possibly fingered with pre-ejaculate or semen?

Also, I asked this question on another forum, but didn't really get a logical answer: I was making out with this same friend and we were kind of rough. I ended up getting a small cut on my lip some time throughout this making out session, because it wasn't there before and I noticed it afterwards. I'm assuming since I got a cut on my lip, he also could have gotten a cut on his as well during this session. Would this be considered a risk, as it could have been blood to blood contact?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Not just another fingering question...
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 06:07:17 pm »
Nothing you have reported would put you at risk for HIV transmission. His fingers could have been dripping with precum and even semen and it still wouldn't have been risky. HIV is a fragile virus and does not survive in the air or on body or environmental surfaces.

The only confirmed means of sexual transmission of HIV are through unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Everything else is strictly theoretical.

There's no need for testing and you are worrying needlessly. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 11:27:47 pm »
A,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Carry on with your therapy. You're way beyond the scope of this forum. Don't even think about going on and on about your latest hiv fantasy, because if you do, you'll quickly be given your long over-due time out. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline A0727

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »
Ann, sorry about starting a new thread. I just saw that it said I haven't posted in 60 days or more and I thought it meant i needed to post a new one. I don't intend on going on about my latest "risk," I'm just very concerned about whether or not having possible cuts on my vagina would increase my risk. If anyone could let me know whether this makes a difference and increases my risk, it would be greatly appreciated, as this wasn't really addressed when Andy answered. Also, if there was a risk for my kissing incident seeing how there could have been blood-to-blood. After this, I don't intend on posting any longer. Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 07:42:48 pm »
A,

NO. Cuts or no cuts, being fingered is NOT a risk for hiv infection. The only way cuts or abrasions on or in your vaginal would increase your risk is if they were present while you were having unprotected vaginal intercourse. Being fingered is NOT intercourse. And no, it wouldn't matter if he did have some cum or pre-cum on his fingers and you had cuts. NO RISK.

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.