Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:09:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 673
Total: 673

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez  (Read 42745 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 11:13:13 am »

Do you mean right now, or do you mean yesterday? LOL
LOL...   Both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 11:17:19 am »

To be honest Red I rolled my eyes everytime they showed the thing being constructed on the news.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 12:14:14 pm »
I think it's safe to say that BP knows the only thing that will ultimately work will be the relief wells 3 months down the road. In the interim they have to look busy and they are trotting out their dog and pony show of impressive looking boxes, shooting tires and concrete into the hole, etc...

Meanwhile the gulf is filling up with oil and we are staring hurricaine season right in the face *sigh*. Get ready New Orleans, it will only take one small hurricaine to turn your city into a gooey, dripping oily mess.

-Will
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:16:06 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37:00 pm »
I think it's safe to say that BP knows the only thing that will ultimately work will be the relief wells 3 months down the road. In the interim they have to look busy and they are trotting out their dog and pony show of impressive looking boxes, shooting tires and concrete into the hole, etc...

Meanwhile the gulf is filling up with oil and we are staring hurricaine season right in the face *sigh*. Get ready New Orleans, it will only take one small hurricaine to turn your city into a gooey, dripping oily mess.

-Will

I haven't even let myself think about the Hurricane season ... What a terrible thought .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37:28 pm »
Here's a realtime count of gallons spilled and map of area affected.

http://thebigoilspill.com/

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 08:49:26 pm »

The smelll of oil is getting those at the beach sick:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/5/9/617047.html

Some Bay area residents nauseous from oil spill smell
Monday, May 10, 2010

The smell of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has reached Florida's shores.

ST. PETE BEACH -- The oil in the Gulf of Mexico may stay away from Florida, but that doesn't mean the smell won't.

Some beachgoers in the Tampa Bay area said the odor of oil 300 miles away was enough to make them sick late Saturday night.

From Hernando County to Manatee County, residents reported smelling something sickening in the area.

Some concerned residents even called 911 about the odor. Emergency medical responders confirmed that it was, indeed, coming from the oil slick in the Gulf, carried to the Florida coast by winds from the west.

The smell Saturday night left many concerned about their Mother's Day plans the following day, as well as their health and safety.

Some residents reported nausea and nasal irritation.

The odor along the Gulf Coast did not seem to be as strong Sunday morning, as the winds have shifted.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 06:47:01 am »

To be honest Red I rolled my eyes everytime they showed the thing being constructed on the news.
To be honest, when I hear experimental, never been done before, and all that, I gave it 50/50 chance.  But I was hopeful it would work.  This time next year, the fishermen will be gone, the residents will be gone, the tourists will be gone, but the drilling will continue.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 11:49:26 am »
To be honest, when I hear experimental, never been done before, and all that, I gave it 50/50 chance.  But I was hopeful it would work.  This time next year, the fishermen will be gone, the residents will be gone, the tourists will be gone, but the drilling will continue.

A speech likely to be heard  in the next 6months or so...

"The relief wells have worked! Unfortunately the Gulf is Dead"

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline dixieman

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 12:15:46 pm »
I was just at the beach in Destin, Flrida and Panama City, Florida... globs of quarter size tar is in the water... not alot but, creeping in with the waves... the rusty goo of oil has not hit the beaches as yet...   I wanted to see the beaches as they once were before this oil destroys the coastline.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 12:27:55 pm »
I was just at the beach in Destin, Flrida and Panama City, Florida... globs of quarter size tar is in the water... not alot but, creeping in with the waves... the rusty goo of oil has not hit the beaches as yet...   I wanted to see the beaches as they once were before this oil destroys the coastline.

I feel ya brother, it's a sad situation.

I saw this article on Yahoo this morning.  The comments below the story are almost as shocking as the content of the article.  I don't understand why people show such apathy towards the enviroment.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100510/ts_afp/unenvironmentbiodiversityeconomy
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »

I guess we will know more in the coming weeks as more info about BOPS and potential BP faults versus purported Act of God scenario. Which brings up another point, I think no oil company shoudl be allowed to declare "act of God" when they are drilling one mile below sea. If you are going to drill in the ocean you should be able to predict all variables and have corresponding foolproof plans to mitigate these variables. Until science/industry has a foolproof way to vent/ dissipate methane we have no business drilling with our "fingers crossed".

-Will

I agree with you Willie. They had no business drilling, baby, drilling here - either they didnt know what they were doing or they were doing it on the cheap. Either way this damage should not go unpunished someone should go to jail. Just because you litter doesnt mean it's ok to pay a fine and go on and litter  some more.

No one wants to take resposnsibility for this.
I say send all three to jail.

video of congressional hearing-- no one is at fault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txmb-Tzxyd8

How about some Ackerman-style questioning for these guys?

video of Congressman Ackerman grilling the SEC about MAdoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmLh73fHQU&feature=related

I'm afraid this  is going to turn out just like the shuttle disaster, Katrina and the damned election--lots of shoulder shrugging, finger pointing and no one punished. So it will happen again.

The gulf is a beautiful place to visit (was?) teaming with life, nice beaches, nice weather. It's getting all screwed up. I love to visit the place, like many others, I think they owe me something as well. I dont even live near there, but we are all suffering a loss here. Send them three to jail. This shouldn't have happened, and it shouldn't happen again. They are the risk takers, who profit for the risk, they should also pay the price of taking the risk. JAIL! Get the pitchforks out.
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »

No one wants to take resposnsibility for this.
I say send all three to jail.

video of congressional hearing-- no one is at fault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txmb-Tzxyd8

Ahhh yes, the 'ol blame the other guy schtick.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYFYVNvgg-A&feature=player_embedded

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2010, 04:26:55 pm »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:41 pm »
Pity everything has to be fought in court. Pity the corporations will point fingers at each other. And how to we hold our own government responsible for lack of regulation.  Surely Obama will not want to own that responsibility and the American public seems so stupid that the Republicans will easily take it off their own adminstration´s responsibility, under Bush.  Perhaps its a whole hog coporate giveaways by both dems and republicans in congress.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 02:35:57 pm »
Pity everything has to be fought in court. Pity the corporations will point fingers at each other. And how to we hold our own government responsible for lack of regulation.  Surely Obama will not want to own that responsibility and the American public seems so stupid that the Republicans will easily take it off their own administration's responsibility, under Bush.  Perhaps its a whole hog coporate giveaways by both dems and republicans in congress.
Maybe that was the plan.  First it was the financial meltdown that the republicans caused but Obama must own.  Then it is the war with the Taliban which was started by Republicans where Obama can find no easy answers.  Now it is the oil spill which lack of regulation was the republican making and again Obama must take responsibility.  There are so many ways the republican can get at Obama cause there are so many traps that they laid for him.  However, do they really think that no one knows that all these problems manifested from republican policies that was to make the country better or more to the point, line their pockets.  It is a simple strategy called "red herring," or point and blame tactic.  I see that the republican are playing a vicious game of politics but will the masses see this is debatable.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »

"Gulf of Mexico Oil Leak 'Relatively Tiny' Compared to 'Very Big Ocean'"- Tony Hayward, Chief Executive of BP.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/14/bp-exec-gulf-mexico-relatively-tiny-compared-big-ocean/

Oh, ok Tony, I feel better now. Thanks for that. And I'm sure all the fisherman out of work now feel better. Oh and the dolphins, turtles and birds that have died...I'm sure they feel pretty stupid for dying in such a "tiny" spill.

Ignorant ass.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2010, 04:34:32 pm »
18 mins ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2270

Public opinion turning against Obama on oil spill

The American public is losing its patience with President Obama over his handling of the Gulf Coast oil spill.

In the five weeks since an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig sent hundreds of thousands of gallons of oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico, Obama had largely escaped political fallout. But as BP attempts yet again to seal the leak, a new USA Today/Gallup Poll finds a majority of Americans unhappy with Obama's handling of the spill. According to the poll, 53 percent rate Obama's handling "poor" or "very poor"; 43 percent believe Obama is doing a good job.

Yet the poll also finds that the public tends to blame others in the mess more than it blames the White House. Asked  broadly about the federal government's role, 60 percent rated the response "poor." BP got the lowest marks: 73 percent of Americans gave the company's handling of the spill a "poor" rating. Still, a whopping 68 percent say BP should remain in charge of the cleanup.

More than two-thirds of respondents called the gulf spill a "disaster," and of them, 37 percent considered it the "worst disaster in 100 years." Yet 52 percent of registered voters still support offshore drilling. That number is slightly down compared with other polls in recent weeks, including an NBC/Wall Street Journal poll this month in which nearly 60 percent of voters still agreed with offshore drilling.

[See haunting photos of the oil disaster | And hundreds more images]

What will no doubt give the White House pause is the shifting public sentiment on Obama's handling of the spill. Earlier this month, the president seemed to be escaping most of the public wrath over the disaster. An Associated Press poll released May 13 found mostly good-to-neutral marks for Obama's role in the mess: 42 percent approved, 33 percent disapproved and 21 percent said they were neutral.

But with the leak still unplugged and the economic and environmental impact only worsening, the White House has increasingly come under fire for not doing enough to handle the cleanup and control the spill. That includes criticism both from Republicans including Sarah Palin, who tried to make an issue of BP's donations to Obama's presidential campaign, and Democratic allies like James Carville, who slammed Obama for being too "hands off."

Broken down along party lines: 63 percent of Democrats believe Obama is doing a "good" job on the spill, while 68 percent of Republicans rate the president's job as "poor." Among independent voters ? the voting bloc credited most for Obama's victory in 2008 ? 58 percent describe Obama's job on the spill as "poor."

White House officials aren?t unaware of the shift. In recent days, they?ve stepped up their media strategy in response to the spill. Tomorrow, Obama will hold  his first full-fledged news conference in nearly a year to take questions on the issue. And Friday, he is scheduled to make his second visit to the Gulf.

Will it be enough to placate an increasingly frustrated public?

? Holly Bailey is a senior political writer for Yahoo! News.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »
Finger's crossed everyone...

We are 3 hours into BP's "Top Kill" procedure, so far nothing the oil has not been stemmed any.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »
http://acp.repoweramerica.org/page/invite/oilspillvideo?source=sprd-fwd&utm_source=crm_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=oilspillvideo20100527&utm_content=calloutimg

What BP does not want you to see

ABC News went underwater in the Gulf with Philippe Cousteau Jr., grandson of famous explorer Jacques Cousteau, and he described what he saw as "one of the most horrible things I?ve ever seen underwater."

Check out what BP does not want you to see. And please share this widely -- every American should see what's happening under the surface in the Gulf.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »
Obama: Gov't in charge of oil disaster response

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama

By JENNIFER LOVEN, AP White House Correspondent Jennifer Loven, Ap White House Correspondent ? 23 mins ago
WASHINGTON ? President Barack Obama moved aggressively to show his government is in charge of the Gulf oil spill on Thursday, calling the gushing leak an "unprecedented disaster" and blasting a "scandalously close relationship" between oil companies and regulators.

"The American people should know that from the moment this disaster began, the federal government has been in charge of the response effort," Obama told a news conference. He was responding to criticism that his administration had been slow to act and had left BP in charge of plugging the leak.

Obama said many critics failed to realize "this has been our highest priority."

He conceded that "people are going to be frustrated until it stops."

Obama announced a series of new steps to deal with the aftermath of the spill, including continuing a moratorium on drilling permits for six months.

He also said he was suspending planned exploration drilling off the coasts of Alaska and Virginia and on 33 wells currently being drilled in the Gulf of Mexico.

The president, speaking to reporters in the East Room of the White House, spoke as oil giant BP pumped mudlike heavy drilling oil into the well in hopes of stopping the flow.

He said while the "top kill" procedure was an example of his administration's willingness to try "any reasonable strategy" to stop the gusher, the process "offers no guarantee of success."

Obama's insistence that his administration was in charge of dealing with the disaster were a marked change in language. Previously, administration officials had emphasized that while they were overseeing BP's actions, the oil company had the expertise and equipment to do the job.

As recently as Monday, the top federal official in charge of responding to the oil catastrophe, Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, declined to broadly say the federal government was "in charge." Instead, when asked about that, Allen told reporters that BP was responsible for the cleanup and the government was accountable to make sure the company did it. "I would say it's less a case of 'in charge,'" Allen said when asked about that phrase.

Yet with each passing day, public frustration with Obama's government has grown, and his poll numbers on the matter are dropping.

As an example of the government's hands-on approach, Obama said that BP had wanted to drill a single "relief" well in an effort to eventually stop the leak in several months if all else failed. Instead, the administration insisted on two relief wells being drilled, Obama said.

Over and over, the president sought to counter criticism that the administration was giving too much leeway to BP PLC.

"Make no mistake, BP is operating at our direction," he said.

"We will demand they pay every dime they owe for the damage they've done and the painful losses they've caused," Obama said.

He denounced what he called "the oil industry's cozy and sometimes corrupt" ties with government regulators.

He spoke shortly after the head of the troubled agency that oversees offshore drilling resigned under pressure. The departure of Minerals Management Service Director Elizabeth Birnbaum was announced just before Obama's news conference began.

Asked about inevitable comparisons between his administration's handling of the disaster with his predecessor's handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Obama said: "I'll leave it to you guys to make those comparisons. ... What I'm thinking about is how do you solve the problem?"

"I'm confident people are going to look back and say this administration was on top of what was an unprecedented crisis," he added.

Still, he acknowledged, "We've got to get it right."

Sen. Frank Lautenberg , D-N.J., a critic of offshore drilling, said Obama took an important step to halt the most imminent environmental threat to the Atlantic coast, but he said the danger will remain until there is a permanent ban on drilling in the Atlantic.

"BP's oil catastrophe in the Gulf is a wake-up call for our nation. Giving Big Oil more access to our nation's waters will only lead to more pollution, more lost jobs and more damage to our economy," Lautenberg said.

Obama said the federal government "has acted consistently with a sense of urgency" about the spill. But, he acknowledged a "sense of complacency on the government's part in planning how to deal with the worst-case scenario" before it happened.

He said a cozy relationship between industry and government didn't change when he came into office.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar "came in and started cleaning house. But the culture had not fully changed at MMS. And surely I take responsibility for that."

But, he added, "there is no evidence some of the corrupt practices that took place earlier took place under the present administration's watch."

As to the resignation of the head of the agency that overseas offshore drilling, he said, "I found out about her resignation today. I don't know the circumstances under which this occurred."

Offline mecch

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »
Sometimes style of leadership is as important as substance.
Obama has no choice but to speak out more and give more obvious support and calm everyone's awful feelings about this mess. Even if its up to BP to cap the hole.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2010, 02:16:08 pm »
Sometimes style of leadership is as important as substance.
Obama has no choice but to speak out more and give more obvious support and calm everyone's awful feelings about this mess. Even if its up to BP to cap the hole.
In other words, he who smelt, delt it...

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
Gulf spill surpasses Valdez; plug try going well

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill;_ylt=Ag5zQ9L7Rbgz3w9cMFBd6.Os0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNodHBlNHFuBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNTI3L3VzX2d1bGZfb2lsX3NwaWxsBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMwRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDZnVsbG5ic3BzdG9y

COVINGTON, La. ? An untested procedure to plug the blown-out oil well in the Gulf of Mexico seemed to be working, officials said Thursday, but new estimates showed the spill has already surpassed the Exxon Valdez as the worst in U.S. history.

A team of scientists trying to determine how much oil has been flowing since the offshore rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 and sank two days later found the rate was more than twice and possibly up to five times as high as previously thought.

The fallout from the spill has stretched all the way to Washington, where the head of the federal agency that oversees offshore drilling resigned Thursday and President Barack Obama sought to counter criticism by announcing a series of new steps to deal with the spill's aftermath.

Related
Obama announces slowdown on new deepwater drilling AP

Obama: Gov't in charge of oil disaster response AP
Obama: 'I was wrong' to believe oil industry ready AP
Obama cites 'complacency' ahead of spill AP

Even using the most conservative estimate, the new numbers mean the leak has grown to nearly 19 million gallons over the past five weeks. If the oil filled gallon milk jugs lined up side by side, there would be enough to reach from New York to Chicago and back.

In the worst case scenario, if 39 million gallons has spilled, the oil would fill enough jugs to stretch from the Louisiana marshes to Prince William Sound in Alaska. That's where the Exxon Valdez ran aground in 1989, spilling nearly 11 million gallons.

"Now we know the true scale of the monster we are fighting in the Gulf," said Jeremy Symons, vice president of the National Wildlife Federation. "BP has unleashed an unstoppable force of appalling proportions."

BP and the Coast Guard estimated soon after the explosion that about 210,000 gallons a day was leaking, but scientists who watched underwater video of well had been saying for weeks it was probably more.

U.S. Geological Survey Director Marcia McNutt said two different teams of scientists calculated the well has been spewing between 504,000 and more than a million gallons a day.

BP spokesman Steve Rinehart said the previous estimate came from industry experts and scientists based on the best data available at the time. Asked for the company's response to the new numbers, he replied: "It does not and will not change the response. We are going all out on our response. This is an all-out response and we're doing everything we can to stop this."

Marine scientists also said Thursday they have discovered a massive new plume of what they believe to be oil deep beneath the Gulf, stretching 22 miles from the leaking wellhead northeast toward Mobile Bay, Ala. The discovery by researchers on the University of South Florida College of Marine Science's Weatherbird II vessel is the second significant undersea plume recorded since the rig exploded.

Last week, BP inserted a mile-long tube to siphon some of the oil from the gushing well into a tanker. It sucked up 924,000 gallons, but engineers had to dismantle it so they could start the risky procedure known as a top kill to try to cut off the flow altogether by shooting heavy drilling fluid into the well.
If that works, BP will inject cement into the well to seal it. The top kill has been used above ground but has never been tried 5,000 feet beneath the sea. BP pegged its chance of success at 60 to 70 percent, and Obama cautioned that it "offers no guarantee of success."

Lt. Commander Tony Russell, an aide to Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, said Thursday the mud was stopping some oil and gas but had a ways to go before it proved successful. The top kill started Wednesday night.

"As you inject your mud into it, it is going to stop some hydrocarbons," Russell said. "That doesn't mean it's successful."

In Washington, meanwhile, Minerals Management Service Director Elizabeth Birnbaum stepped down from the job she has held since July 2009. Her agency has come under withering criticism from lawmakers of both parties over lax oversight of drilling and cozy ties with industry.

An internal Interior Department report released earlier this week found that between 2000 and 2008, agency staff members accepted tickets to sports events, lunches and other gifts from oil and gas companies and used government computers to view pornography.

Polls show the public is souring on the administration's handling of the catastrophe, and Obama sought Thursday to assure Americans that the government is in control. He was responding to criticism that his administration had been slow to act and left BP in charge of plugging the leak.

He announced that a new moratorium on drilling permits will be extended for six months. He also said he was suspending planned exploration drilling off the coasts of Alaska and Virginia and on 33 wells currently being drilled in the Gulf of Mexico.

He said many critics failed to realize "this has been our highest priority" but conceded that "people are going to be frustrated until it stops."

Fishermen, hotel and restaurant owners, politicians and residents along the 100-mile stretch of Gulf coast affected by the spill are also fed up with BP's failures to stop the spill. Thick oil is coating birds and delicate wetlands along the Louisiana coast.

"I have anxiety attacks," said Sarah Rigaud, owner of Sarah's Restaurant in Grand Isle, La., where the public beach was closed because blobs of oil that looked like melted chocolate had washed up on shore. "Every day I pray that something happens, that it will be stopped and everybody can get back to normal."

Seven cleanup crew members who reported dizziness, severe headaches and nausea while working in boats off the Louisiana coast remained hospitalized Thursday. The Coast Guard pulled commercial fishing boats from cleanup efforts in Breton Sound on Wednesday after workers first reported feeling sick.

If the top kill fails, BP says it has several backup plans. The only permanent solution is drilling a second well, but that will take a couple of months. BP plans to go ahead with that even if the top kill works.

Though the spill is now the biggest in U.S. history, it's not the biggest ever in the Gulf. An offshore drilling rig in Mexican waters ? the Ixtoc I ? blew up in June 1979, releasing 140 million gallons of oil.

___

Borenstein reported from Washington. Associated Press Writers Ben Nuckols, Matthew Brown, Jason Dearen and Andrew Taylor and Matthew Daly in Washington contributed to this report.

Offline mecch

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:16 pm »
Well he was assumedly trying to avoid ownership, but that backfried miserably.
He's a great speaker. I don't see why he can't throw the accountability around and still own the challenge on behalf of americans.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2010, 02:28:52 am »

The "top Kill"  Didn't work ....

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/5/29/624273.html?title=BP:+Top+Kill+did+not+work;+company+will+try+next+option

BP: Top Kill did not work; company will try next option
Saturday, May 29, 2010

Oil continues spewing into the Gulf of Mexico.

COVINGTON, La. (AP) -  BP has concluded that the Top Kill operation has failed to stop the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

"After three full days of attempting Top Kill, we have been unable to overcome the flow from the well, so we now believe it's time to move on to our next option," said BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles Saturday evening. "We don't believe repeated pumping (Top Kill) will achieve success."

Suttles said the next option is to cut off the damaged riser from which the oil is leaking and install a cap. That cap will then be connected to a ship to allow oil to flow to the ship.

"This operation should be able to capture most of the oil," Suttles said. "I stress the word 'most.'"

Suttles said the next operation, installing what is called a "lower marine riser package," or LMRP, will take four days or longer. He said he is confident the new method would work, but cannot guarantee success.

Suttles also said the company is continuing its work on relief wells.
Top Kill

Under the Top Kill operation, BP pumped huge amounts of mud into the well at a rate of up to 2,700 gallons per minute..

BP also tried several times to shoot assorted junk into the well's crippled blowout preventer to clog it up and force the mud down the well bore.

BP had put the chances of success for the top kill at 60 to 70 percent

The spill is the worst in U.S. history and has dumped between 18 million and 40 million gallons into the Gulf, according to government estimates.
Search For Oil

Meanwhile, scientists are using newly designed technology to determine where the oil flowing into the Gulf of Mexico may be headed.

NOAA's Gordon Gunter, a 224-foot research vessel is about 20 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi delta and 22 miles from the Deepwater Horizon site.

The ship is looking for oil plumes, not big blobs. The plumes are diffuse and often invisible particles of petroleum that are dangerous to marine animals.

Another weapon in their arsenal is called The Gulper, which looks like a torpedo and can dive to almost 5,000 feet while sucking in water.

Samples collected are being tested in hopes of better predicting where the oil is going.

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2010, 02:45:03 am »
I heard the same thing tonight that "top kill" did not work.  It is so unbelievable to me that we allow a private company to have the environment in their hands.  What if BP just said they were going home?  Well, they haven't fixed it, so it wouldn't make much difference.  It just seems like the gov't should know how to do this stuff.  From what I've read, the gov't doesn't even know how to use submerssibles. 

They should do like what I've heard Canada requires-- Companies have to drill the relief well at the same time as the main well just in case something like this happens.

Offline mecch

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:26 am »
Did you see Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddows various critiques this week.
Once again I had to stop watching. I'm not being dramatic. I get sick in my stomach and can't take each new awful news.
Anderson Cooper showed how BP hired hundreds of black prisoners to do a Potemkin Village clean up show on the beach that Obama visited.  Not there the days before, workers never seen. And also they were forbidden to say anything about who they were.   The mind BOGGLES at the multiple stupidities and insults in that action.

The Rachel Maddow bit that made me vomit was she showed the emergency guidelines for wildlife protection BP published - and they are worried about the walruses - which only live around the artic, duh. She said obviously, they had just copies and pastes dome other guidelines.

I hope the government legally requires BP to spend its very last dime, and then and only then, kicks it out of the country forever.  The us should have some dignity and NEVER let that company get another dime of US money, even if the US has to suffer to find other sources of oil.  

These oil companies make more money than GOD, as Maddow pointed out. That's no joke.  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2010, 10:08:20 am »
It is sad news indeed and I hope BP pays every cent to clean up the mess . Its also high time consumers of oil to start and  do our part in this debacle , meaning where we make our gasoline purchases to who we are electing that makes and enforces our energy policies .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:20 pm »
Anything to satisfy the public need for hope but this is the oil business baby. If I were BP I would stall like crazy until I have reached the master plan. And that is to get the oil out of the ground and the profits into BP's pockets. They are not going to waste time explaining to the public that plan A,B,C didn't work because the real goal is to put up a tower or another pipe line to get the oil and sell it.  I say by August the new pipe line or tower will be in place and BP will act like they'd saved the day and the Gulf of Mexico had very little environment impact due to the minor spill. Just don't eat the shrimp though.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »

They are not going to waste time explaining to the public that plan A,B,C didn't work because the real goal is to put up a tower or another pipe line to get the oil and sell it.  

You hit the nail on the head. Not only that, but I can assure you once they drill the relief well and start tapping that oil that the CEO will get a nice bonus.

...in the meantime they will continue to trot out hopeless attempts (publicity stunts). They've already indicated the next procedure they will try hasnt even worked at shallower depths. It's something akin to putting a dixie cup over a water hose at full stream.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 02:37:27 pm »
I propose an enema tube down to the oil, and wash out the butts and dirty mouths of every BP executive involved, and all those corrupt at the government oversight agencies.

Also, BP executives should be required to sell ANY vacation house in America not on the Gulf, and holiday only there for the next 20 years. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2010, 07:31:37 pm »
I say by August the new pipe line or tower will be in place and BP will act like they'd saved the day and the Gulf of Mexico had very little environment impact due to the minor spill. Just don't eat the shrimp though.

Looks as though that's the way things are going. It will take at least until August, before it's stopped.

This other device they plan on getting into place shortly,  will not collect all the oil.  ( even if it works at all.)

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2010, 08:51:15 am »

Looks as though that's the way things are going. It will take at least until August, before it's stopped.

This other device they plan on getting into place shortly,  will not collect all the oil.  ( even if it works at all.)

Ray
I'm betting this time next year they will get it fixed.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 01:38:35 am »
Timelapse photos of oil spill from NASA.  If this isn't stopped until the Fall, then you can easily see how it will affect Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWW5xt3Hc8

From NBC Nightly News tonight:  They go back to Alaska to see how things have recovered some 20 years later.  Many think it is fine now.  They show all you have to do is pick up a rock on the beach or take a sample of water and let it set for a couple minutes and you'll find oil still.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/37457330#37457330

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:10 am »
If this isn't stopped until the Fall, then you can easily see how it will affect Florida.

Oil closes in on Florida as BP tries risky cap move :

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/6/2/625128.html?title=Oil+closes+in+on+Florida+as+BP+tries+risky+cap+move

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2010, 07:41:10 am »
I saw T. Boone Pickens on a week old Larry King interview.  He predicted (turns out correctly) that the "topkill" wouldn't work.  He said all the culpability should fall on BP and he said drilling would HAVE to continue eventually in deep water in the Gulf because American can't walk away from this resource.

He was so cool and collected about America's need for oil and the need to both exploit all the American resources possible and also work to remove dependence on foreign resources.  

Anyway, by the time the interview is over, you (at least I) get the feeling that there are a few people know exactly the truth about the most important things in this country AND that all the news media and government get, and do, is a bunch a spin, and feed spin to us.  

The topkill was pretty much entirely "spin" - a show to help people emotions.  The fake clean up behind the president - show.  The President saying he is in charge - show.

BP fed spin to the Obama administration and then to the news media (who give it to us).  The Democratic government gives spin to us - so worried are they about the future and keeping power for the rest of this administration by spinning everything toward getting an 8 year run for Obama.

Its all so fucking disheartening.  

The only true thing that BP seems to have said is

"The US is a big and important market for BP, and BP is also a big and important company for the US, with its contribution to drilling and oil and gas production," Svanberg said. "So the position goes both ways."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/25/bp-is-big-and-important-b_n_589675.html

That quote came a couple of days before T. Boone Pickens comments and Pickens in summary says about the same thing. AND NOT in defence of BP.  Just as in - listen - its a catastrophe, BP looks like its a fault - it will clean it up only as far as the government makes it clean up, and as far as it can be cleaned up. And then business wil go on.  

So thats the bitter pill - swallow it.

We are fucking stuck with BP, and GM, and Goldman Sachs, and Halliburton.  And our government doesnt have, and cant offer anyway, any better way to do business.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:45:29 am by mecch »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
Look it is very simple.  BP is fighting for its survival and to do the right thing is to lose the company.  To play with the public through the media hype is the best case scenario for BP.  Now they are fighting for media control and from their thinking the Govt is either on their side or have their hands ties from legal legislation put there to protect Big Business.  The Gulf is already lost so they must down play it as an "Act of God," or "Don't Worry, Be Happy," or "It's Just a Little Spill Not Worth Commenting," attitude so not to get the public hunting for Blood.  All that BP is thinking is "Damage Control," and how to still be a company after this disaster.  The odds are against them to win, but they may still some out ahead and smell like roses after this is over.  It is like Hershy Chocolate incident in India.  How many people still remember that catastrophe.  Or the Exxon tragedy, and that area is a toxic mine field, yet Exxon still has not paid the piper.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:35 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/user/BPplc?v=imySWVEHtoo&feature=pyv&ad=5944942933&kw=

Statement from BP about the Gulf of Mexico and other statements.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:04 pm »
Its probably easier to go into outer space and fix something broken than it is to go down that deep in the ocean . At some point BP needs to just tell the truth and the truth is they don't have the technology to repair the damage to that pipe or more importantly to restore the gulf of Mexico back to the way they found it .

In the meantime folks that continually deny we are doing irreparable harm to our planet now have some oily sand to bury there head in .

I am going to visit my brother at his beach house in Gulf Shores Alabama next week but from what I hear by that time it wont be the beach I remember .,
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2010, 08:50:51 pm »
It is like Hershy Chocolate incident in India.  How many people still remember that catastrophe.  Or the Exxon tragedy, and that area is a toxic mine field, yet Exxon still has not paid the piper.

Hershey Chocolate?  Do you mean Bhopal, Union Carbide's disaster? The case isn't dead and people remember it very well indeed.

Ditto, Valdez.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2010, 11:06:54 pm »
This oil spill has brought my partner and I (the liberals) in sync with his family (the conservatives).  I have been surprised all of them are talking trash about the oil companies and believe oil extraction from the oceans needs to be reconsidered.  I was shocked!!!  Of course, I think I mentioned how his parents have properties in Gulf Shores, AL and down near Ft Myers, FL.  It is definitely hitting home to them and they now care.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »
Hershey Chocolate?  Do you mean Bhopal, Union Carbide's disaster? The case isn't dead and people remember it very well indeed.

Ditto, Valdez.

Sorry, I meant Nestle.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2010, 03:21:47 pm »
Or the Exxon tragedy, and that area is a toxic mine field, yet Exxon still has not paid the piper.

I still say jail, until the fine is paid. And then some.  They -- the ceo's-- say they make the mega bucks because of the risk they take. What risk? Risk of watching a corporation go down in flames while they look for another job? Where is the disincentive to fuck the world over? Where is the individual accountability? Ughh!
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »
Get ready Florida, and the entire East coast....It's headed your way. Oh and those in Europe, yup, this could be your problem in 4 months...

A computer simulation of dye injected into the loop current:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/06/03/2010-06-03_bp_oil_slick_could_hit_east_coast_in_weeks__and_spread_to_new_york__beyond_gover.html.

Then there's this.... It makes me sick to look at.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/story/Dozens-of-oil-soaked-pelicans-found-near-coast/qLSzuSQ4KEKlQjWo5suh3Q.cspx

Thanks you Bastards!

-Will

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:00:07 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:06 am »
Yesterday, I visited Caminada Bay in Grand Isle, Louisiana -- one of the first places to feel the devastation wrought by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. While I was here, at Camerdelle's Live Bait shop, I met with a group of local residents and small business owners.

Folks like Floyd Lasseigne, a fourth-generation oyster fisherman. This is the time of year when he ordinarily earns a lot of his income. But his oyster bed has likely been destroyed by the spill.

Terry Vegas had a similar story. He quit the 8th grade to become a shrimper with his grandfather. Ever since, he's earned his living during shrimping season -- working long, grueling days so that he could earn enough money to support himself year-round. But today, the waters where he has worked are closed. And every day, as the spill worsens, he loses hope that he will be able to return to the life he built.

Here, this spill has not just damaged livelihoods. It has upended whole communities. And the fury people feel is not just about the money they have lost. It is about the wrenching recognition that this time their lives may never be the same.

These people work hard. They meet their responsibilities. But now because of a manmade catastrophe -- one that is not their fault and beyond their control -- their lives have been thrown into turmoil. It is brutally unfair. And what I told these men and women is that I will stand with the people of the Gulf Coast until they are again made whole.

That is why, from the beginning, we have worked to deploy every tool at our disposal to respond to this crisis. Today, there are more than 20,000 people working around the clock to contain and clean up this spill. I have authorized 17,500 National Guard troops to participate in the response. More than 1,900 vessels are aiding in the containment and cleanup effort. We have convened hundreds of top scientists and engineers from around the world. This is the largest response to an environmental disaster of this kind in the history of our country.

We have also ordered BP to pay economic injury claims, and this week, the federal government sent BP a preliminary bill for $69 million to pay back American taxpayers for some of the costs of the response so far. In addition, after an emergency safety review, we are putting in place aggressive new operating standards for offshore drilling. And I have appointed a bipartisan commission to look into the causes of this spill. If laws are inadequate, they will be changed. If oversight was lacking, it will be strengthened. And if laws were broken, those responsible will be brought to justice.

These are hard times in Louisiana and across the Gulf Coast, an area that has already seen more than its fair share of troubles. The people of this region have met this terrible catastrophe with seemingly boundless strength and character in defense of their way of life. What we owe them is a commitment by our nation to match the resilience they have shown. That is our mission. And it is one we will fulfill.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Offline mecch

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »
I would like either the Obama team, or the BP team, to explain the difference between their assurances that they are doing as much as possible ---- and the many big network news shows who are all reporting form the gulf and seeing NO CLEAN UP ON THE SHORES AND MARSHES for miles and miles and miles.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2010, 08:44:05 pm »
HHmmmm....      >:(

Seems I read somewhere,( very recently) that BP holds the main contract with the US Govt. , that supplies the fuels/oil for our military machine.  Anyone know anything about that? So, between Haliburton and BP....

Ray
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:45:46 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2010, 10:19:50 pm »

That is why, from the beginning, we have worked to deploy every tool at our disposal to respond to this crisis. Today, there are more than 20,000 people working around the clock to contain and clean up this spill. I have authorized 17,500 National Guard troops to participate in the response. More than 1,900 vessels are aiding in the containment and cleanup effort. We have convened hundreds of top scientists and engineers from around the world. This is the largest response to an environmental disaster of this kind in the history of our country.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

MR. Obama! Where are these 37,000 people you cite?? How come the beaches on Pensacola are devoid of cleanup crews? I understand that you in Washington consider LA. to be a third world country and yall are content with letting it die, but what about Alabama, MS, FL????
How come when you go to LA you go to a beach that is already cleaned up? Why wont you get in a boat and tour the marshes where the oil is choking out life, where you can look a dying Pelican in the eyes?.... Oh that's right, a picture of you surrounded by an oily mess and dying birds is not in your "best political interest".

I bet when your rich constituents from Florida start screaming about the oil there will miraculously be an army of cleanup crews scouring every inch of Florida's beaches while those in LA, MS, AL all wither away.

*sigh*

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 07:54:44 am »
A Billion People for "NO MORE OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING" (snowball effect)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114093341964208

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100608/ts_nm/us_oil_spill

Obama has strong words as Gulf spill spreads

By Anna Driver and JoAnne Allen Anna Driver And Joanne Allen – 2 hrs 4 mins ago
VENICE, La/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama said he wanted to know "whose ass to kick" over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, adding to the pressure on energy giant BP Plc as it sought to capture more of the leak from its gushing well.

"I don't sit around just talking to experts because this is a college seminar. We talk to these folks because they potentially have the best answer so I know whose ass to kick," Obama said in an interview with NBC News' "Today" to air on Tuesday.

They were the angriest words yet about the catastrophe from Obama, who has been criticized for his response to the worst oil spill in U.S. history. Obama reiterated that all those affected should be adequately compensated.

In London, BP's share price lost 3.6 percent after Obama's remarks, reversing the previous day's gains. The company's shares are down more than a third from mid-April.

The stakes remain high for all involved -- from Gulf Coast communities devastated by the disaster to Obama and his domestic standing to BP and its battered reputation with the public and investors.

A Washington Post/ABC poll found that 69 percent of Americans believe the government had done a "not so good" or "poor" job handling the spill. Just over 1,000 people were surveyed in the poll, conducted between June 3 and 6.

BP's shares closed down slightly in London on Monday. It has lost about a third of its value since the crisis erupted in late April and it took another blow as Goldman Sachs downgraded its rating on BP to "neutral" from "buy."

While a complete halt to the flow of oil is not expected until August at the earliest, BP reported an increase in the amount of oil it is capturing from the well in its latest containment effort.

Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen, who leads the government's relief effort, said London-based BP hoped to collect 20,000 barrels (840,000 gallons/3.18 million liters) per day in its latest effort.

BP said it had collected 7,541 barrels of oil in the first 12 hours of Monday. If it collected the same amount the rest of the day, the total for Monday would be more than 15,000 barrels, about 35 percent higher than the amount collected on Sunday.

Neither Allen nor BP gave an estimate of how much oil is still flowing into the Gulf. BP's latest attempt involves placing a containment cap on top of the gushing pipe on the ocean floor.

POLITICAL HEAT

Away from the action in the Gulf, the political heat remains intense in Washington with yet another congressional hearing set to bring BP and its peers under renewed scrutiny.

The Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing at 10:00 EDT (1400 GMT) on Tuesday titled: "The Risky Business of Big Oil: Have Recent Court Decisions and Liability Caps Encouraged Irresponsible Corporate Behavior?" Democrats in Congress have been looking at lifting such caps.

The Senate hearing follows one in Chalmette, Louisiana, where two women who lost their husbands in the April 20 rig explosion that unleashed the crisis urged members of Congress to hold BP accountable.

"I am asking you to please consider harsh punishments on companies who choose to ignore safety standards before other families are destroyed," said Courtney Kemp, whose husband, Wyatt, was one of the 11 workers killed in the explosion.

The gravity of the spill was spelled out by Admiral Allen, who said its environmental consequences could last for years.

"Dealing with the oil spill on the surface is going to go on for a couple of months" once the well is plugged, he said. "Long-term issues of restoring the environment and the habitats ... will be years."

The spill has now affected 120 miles of coastline.

After fouling wildlife refuges in Louisiana and barrier islands in Mississippi and Alabama, oil has hit some of the famous white beaches of Florida, where the $60 billion-a-year tourism industry accounts for nearly 1 million jobs.

Images of birds struggling through oil-soaked waters ringing Louisiana's ecologically fragile barrier islands and marshes have added to the public outcry and pressure on Obama.

One-third of the Gulf's federal waters, or 78,000 square miles (200,000 square km), remains closed to fishing, and the toll of dead and injured birds and marine animals is climbing.

(Writing by Ed Stoddard; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.