Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My meds aren't working...  (Read 7294 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
My meds aren't working...
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:27:39 pm »
I went to the doctor yesterday and my viral load is 1,230. It crept up from 29 to that in three months. So I am going back to the doctor in six weeks to get my results again in which they might find it's because I missed a few meds that my pills actually are working. It could be, I hope, that my little dermatologist visits were taking alot out of me. Had some weird moles removed.
And last I had a cold right before my last blood draw.
 I cried in bed last night because I have a daughter to take care of. Everytime I thought of her without me I started crying again.
 But today I woke up at one in the afternoon to a calm quiet house. I feel better. I just can't miss anymore doses.

Offline pozswm

• Live, love, laugh and learn
Re: My meds aren't working...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »
Hello!
I just found this site- and I am thrilled to see other woman such as myself. What I want to tell you is that I have been + for almost 20 years and I have had viral loads up to 100,000 copies and still was healthy. I used to just take meds for 6 weeks until I became undetectable for a bit and then stop (not advocating that - it was just my "thing") I just completed over a year of Atripla and it really did not help my Tcell count so I am off it now and let me body rest from the toxic assault. I want to tell you that everyone is different and how their body interacts with meds and viruses can be complex. So please do not get upset about a slight increase in viral load - When I was first diagnosed -I remember think my life would be short and here I am 20 years later and I want you to know that you are going to be fine with a healthy outlook, positive energy and good nutrition and a good medical team that treats you as a human not a statistic.
BTW - SWM stands for "super"woman not single white male...lol
Just a play on acronyms :)
Diagnosed 1995 infected 8/1993

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:44:17 pm »
Hi "Super" women.. ;D

Welcome to the forums, it would be good if you started your own thread so the rest of us ladies could get to know you a little better, sometimes new member gets a bit lost in other peoples threads.

I would be interested in knowing why you made the decision to stop your meds, I'm certainly not gong to judge you, people come off their meds for all kinds of reasons, I'm just curious.

I know we are all different in our thoughts about just how much we are going to allow these meds to control us.

Personally I'm all for the drugs despite the fact we all know they are toxic, I have been forced off meds before, certainly not my choosing, and my results because of this were not good, not good at all, so for me the meds are keeping my VL where I want it.

I'm glad you here you are here to tell your story, I look forward to hearing from you.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:51:52 pm »
Hi Idee

Welcome to the forum, keep working with your Doc, there were several things going on with you that could possibly be the reason for the VL going up, as SWM said it's only a slight increase, it could just be a blip, we have all had them and spun out a little at one time or other, but don't worry the stress won't help.

Just remember that missing your meds on a regular basis can lead to resistance, so please try and remember to take them every day, I always take mine after dinner so I don't forget, I think of them as my side dish.. ;)

Hope you keep in touch.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline camille07

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:27:38 am »
Hi Ladies, hi Annie-

I was a regular at one point, and life, new marriage, etc kept me more lurking than participating in the forums.  I knew the day I got infected, because I sero converted.  But, my doctor kept me off drugs for two years.  She then put me on Truvada, reyetaz and norvir.  I always had a yellow cast, just couldn't shake the reyetaz side affect.  (My numbers, cd 4 went way up and then wavered in the 500 range, but always undetectable)  Then over a month ago, she started me on the newer once a day, Complera.  No side affects, and I get the blood results back in a few weeks.  I hated the idea of meds, because then I was truly forced everyday to take something that validated I was different.  But honestly, I've had more problems with meds with cost and insurance issues than in my body.

My ex who stopped his meds many times due to dependency issues has really messed up his immune system.  I'm not talking once or twice drug holidays but substantial vacations.   It also leads to resistance  of many drugs.

I have to admit I was nervous with this new drug.  Not much is in the forums or in on the internet because it's a newer drug.  It originally was a front line performer, so having been on the 3 it's been very hard to find info. 

Oh and if there's a weird side affect, I'm usually in that rare percentage.  I had been on Nucinta and had dystonia, ER visit.   I took levaquin and tore my rotator cuff in 3 spots.   It's quite laughable at this point, plus I know the Lord's gotten me this far.

One other thing, bodies are different.  Perfect diet and great attitudes  don't do diddly for some.   Some bodies control the disease better than others.  As  Annie says, "keep working with Doc."  I hope you have a good relationship with them.

Have a good day!

Camms

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:25:45 am »
My ID doc stresses Viral Load and CD4 count as a percentage - my VL is all over the place but as long as the percentage of CD4 to VL is increasing he is happy.

My last labs had a big increase because my case worker "hooked me up" with my local dental school. My dental plan at work is pitiful but thankfully Ryan White funds pay for dental care in various amounts depending on your state. The RW funds picked up a lot of what my insurance wouldn't cover - and I needed a bit since I think my childhood dentist studied in the Eastern Bloc!

The RW coordinator for the school asked me if I would do a Q&A with the students (which I agreed to do) and it was much appreciated = at my first visit there was only one student willing to have me as a patient, after the Q&A only one had an issue and it was a personal one, so I can't judge the student. We, as poz people, actually are the best candidates for dental students taking board exams since we have regular doctor visits and labs. As the initial student willing to see me said, "You are probably more health aware than anyone."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:30:02 am by DrewEm »

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
My ID doc stresses Viral Load and CD4 count as a percentage - my VL is all over the place but as long as the percentage of CD4 to VL is increasing he is happy.

My last labs had a big increase because my case worker "hooked me up" with my local dental school. My dental plan at work is pitiful but thankfully Ryan White funds pay for dental care in various amounts depending on your state. The RW funds picked up a lot of what my insurance wouldn't cover - and I needed a bit since I think my childhood dentist studied in the Eastern Bloc!

The RW coordinator for the school asked me if I would do a Q&A with the students (which I agreed to do) and it was much appreciated = at my first visit there was only one student willing to have me as a patient, after the Q&A only one had an issue and it was a personal one, so I can't judge the student. We, as poz people, actually are the best candidates for dental students taking board exams since we have regular doctor visits and labs. As the initial student willing to see me said, "You are probably more health aware than anyone."

I don't tell anyone my health because last time I did someone kind of freaked. My English teacher and she wanted me to tell the class. Like I am going to do that in college, I am not that brave.
I am just alone. It seems there are so many healthy people and I want to be one of them. Just so I am not a minority among the healthy. Sometimes I wonder if I am walking past a fellow HIV positive person in a crowd. I am married to a positive man, but I just wonder if anyone I pass has the same secret I have.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.