Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:29:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 275
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed and need to tell my man  (Read 5923 times)

Offline niecy_nurse

• Too blessed to be stressed.
Newly diagnosed and need to tell my man
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:52 am »
I am a 45 yr old African American female who was recently diagnosed with HIV. It has taken me 2 months to come to grips with my diagnosis.

I started my meds and I am feeling great. I am in love with a wonderful man who I have been involved with off and on for the past 8 yrs. The hardest part is getting up the nerve to tell him about my diagnosis. We have a long distance relationship and he is flying over for a visit.

For you ladies who had to reveal this diagnosis, how do I tell him?
Diagnosed July 6, 2012 by mouth swab
Confirmed July 25, 2012: VL=821
August 7, 2012: VL=1054, CD4:578
Sept. 12, 2012: CD4=701
Sept. 13, 2012: Started Complera
Oct. 5, 2012: VL=UD; CD4=809

Offline karry

Re: Newly diagnosed and need to tell my man
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 05:36:33 pm »
Hi Niecy
Welcome to the forums.
I know its not easy disclosing your HIV status to anyone, more so a partner. However, its something that is a legal obligation these days in some parts of the world and you may want to take that into account.
The first guy I dated post diagnosis was negative, and someone who knew me for a long time before I was diagnosed. He had a romantic interest in me before I was diagnosed and we were in a sort of long-distance relationship and were planning to meet for the first time in the capacity of girlfriend/boyfriend. Our first phone call post diagnosis, he felt something was wrong with me and he asked me. I did not hesitate. I told him I had just tested positive. He stood by me, told me he still wanted to meet and was willing to be with me positive or not. We met a few months later, and it was wonderful....unfortunately things did not work out after a while (not because of my status) and we both moved on and are best friends today.

I know my case might be different, but I feel that if you wish to enjoy a relationship with this man you have to tell him, and give him the choice of standing by you or letting go. If he stays, he is worth it...if not, you're better off without.
Wishing you the best.
Hugs
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:02:59 am »
Hi Niecy,

Welcome. I'm unclear on something that may, or may not, be a factor in when you tell him. You note you've been on again/off again. Were you in "off" mod when you became infected, or on? That, to me, makes a difference if he thought you were committed to the relationship or if both parties had agreed to see other people.

For me, I'd use the same communication mode and timing no matter what and tell him before  began the journey -- giving him enough time to back out, get a refund on airfare, etc. This is because the visit is based on expectations of rejoining and if it's a solid enough relationship to override a status change, you'll learn that before he arrives, not during the visit, or after he leaves.

For me, it's best to get it out in the open early. It's fair to him and you've got to get it out sooner or later. Stings no matter when, but there's also relief, too.

Em
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:19:16 am by emeraldize »

Offline niecy_nurse

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:58:33 am »
Hi Niecy
Welcome to the forums.
I know its not easy disclosing your HIV status to anyone, more so a partner. However, its something that is a legal obligation these days in some parts of the world and you may want to take that into account.
The first guy I dated post diagnosis was negative, and someone who knew me for a long time before I was diagnosed. He had a romantic interest in me before I was diagnosed and we were in a sort of long-distance relationship and were planning to meet for the first time in the capacity of girlfriend/boyfriend. Our first phone call post diagnosis, he felt something was wrong with me and he asked me. I did not hesitate. I told him I had just tested positive. He stood by me, told me he still wanted to meet and was willing to be with me positive or not. We met a few months later, and it was wonderful....unfortunately things did not work out after a while (not because of my status) and we both moved on and are best friends today.

I know my case might be different, but I feel that if you wish to enjoy a relationship with this man you have to tell him, and give him the choice of standing by you or letting go. If he stays, he is worth it...if not, you're better off without.
Wishing you the best.
Hugs
Karry

Thanks for responding. I am definitely going to tell him. We have slept together numerous times before I found out my diagnosis. I last tested negative in January 2011. I am not sure if I contracted HIV from him or my ex boyfriend. I haven't really thought about where I got it. I just want to concentrate on my health and his. Thanks for the advice.

Niecy

Offline niecy_nurse

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 02:07:39 am »
Hi Niecy,

Welcome. I'm unclear on something that may, or may not, be a factor in when you tell him. You note you've been on again/off again. Were you in "off" mod when you became infected, or on? That, to me, makes a difference if he thought you were committed to the relationship or if both parties had agreed to see other people.

For me, I'd use the same communication mode and timing no matter what and tell them before they began the journey -- giving them enough time to back out, get a refund on airfare, etc. This is because the visit is based on expectations of rejoining and if it's a solid enough relationship to override a status change, you'll learn that before he arrives, not during the visit, or after he leaves.

For me, it's best to get it out in the open early. It's fair to him and you've got to get it out sooner or later. Stings no matter when, but there's also relief, too.

Em

Thanks for the welcome. We were both seeing other people, so we were not in a committed relationship. With that said, he could have infected me or I him. I just happened to be the one that got tested.  I am going to break the news to him this week because I want him to get tested. I worry about his state of mind if he is positive. I am still going to love him regardless.

Niecy

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:47 am »
I understand better now. Thanks. I hope you have a good visit.

Offline chocaholic

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:58 am »
I'd tell him before he made the journey....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.