Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:12:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3rd nite on Atripla  (Read 5507 times)

Offline film333

3rd nite on Atripla
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:25:55 am »
Hey guys, well tonite marks my third nite on Atripla.  The first nite was ok, didn't have any crazy dreams, but the next day I felt as though I just awoke from surgery.  I was so dizzy and couldn't even walk straight.  I called in sick to work and stayed in bed all day. The second day I woke up and felt somewhat the same, not as bad though.  Kind of nervous about tomorrow morning,  I am going to try to take it earlier than my bedtime to see if that helps the next day. How long will I feel this way?  I am taking it on an empty stomach and getting 7 hours of sleep.  I also feel kind of weak throughout the day, When would it be ok to get back to the gym for some lifting?  Any thoughts?  Suggestions?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Re: 3rd nite on Atripla
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:09 am »
Hello film333 and welcome aboard.  

The side effects vary per person, but they (especially the morning sickness feeling) should not last more than a few days.  I only experienced a minor rash for a couple of days and some restless sleep for about a week or two, no fatigue at all (actually feel more energised than ever these days; back to the running track whenever time permits) --and virtually no crazy dreams in three months that I have been on it.  Others will share different experiences.  

Allow yourself a couple of days and you should be fine to return to the gym.

Best of luck and health now that you have started!

M.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:45:50 am »
Hi there,

When I was taking Atripla my doc recommended a few tricks to help. I found that not eating at least 2 hours before pill time helped and actually waiting to go to bed about 1-2 hours after pill time. If you do get hungry, try non fat snacks as high fat foods can increase some side effects (due to the Sustiva in Atripla). That seemed to help with the dizzy and drunk feeling I got from Atripla. I do have to say though that I did switch my meds a few weeks ago due to other side effects. But think about these tricks, I hope you find some relief. It can take a while for some side effects to go away or lessen. Good luck and hopefully it will get better day by day.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:32:55 am »
The side effects do lessen as time passes.  It took me weeks until the dizziness wore off substantially but I was in bad shape at the time.  I wouldn't go to the gym but that's just me.  Good luck.

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 12:06:19 am »
for me the dizzines and weakness went away after the first few days. VERY IMPORTANT: not to eat prior to takin the pill (for me 2hrs was not enough, at least 3hrs for me..). Then - not too late at night for better morning.

During the first 1-2 months I would still feel - on occasion (about once a week) -  a general weakness that would last all day. On those days I would not work out. All other days - even the first ones - I would take advantage of a 2-3 hrs window of no dizziness to go run/swim/lift.

Now into 3rd month the only side effect I'd get is extreme fatigue if I did not get a good night sleep, but very well if I did sleep good.

Good luck!! Getting your first lab results after starting will remotivate you to continue!!!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 11:27:23 am »
Hi Film and welcome.

For me the chronic dizziness went away after about a week, thereafter I only got dizzy for about an hour after taking it. I suspect things will begin to turn better for you after a few more days, you just have to wait it out. Let us know how you progress.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Kiwibiker

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 05:42:30 pm »
Hi,

Am pretty new to this too - started Atripla just over two weeks ago and have been lucky enough to have a pretty good run but certainly are aware that there are side effects there, but do my best to ignore them. I hit the gym 5 or 6 times a week and wasn't going to miss just because of starting meds so after the first night, was there the next day. Was surprised to find the first few days when euphoria sneaks in, I was superhuman at the gym and could do way more than usual. Unfortunately I'm back to normal again!

So my approach was to just get on with my normal life and routine, and it worked for me.

I hope that as you keep getting more and more days under your belt, you are feeling better and more yourself again.

Cheers
11/09/2008   Infected   
11/21/2008   Seroconversion starts   
12/15/2008   Diagnosed   
12/15/08   CD4 Count: 334 cells/mm3   VL:250,000
2/02/2009   CD4 Count: 384 cells/mm3 - 20%   VL:650,000
04/27/09   CD4 Count: 393 cells/mm3-14%   VL:875,000
05/29/09   CD4 Count: 430 cells/mm3-11%   VL:725,000
07/13/09   CD4 Count: 312 cells/mm3-10%   
08/17/09   CD4 Count: 281 cells/mm3-10%   
08/26/09   Started Atripla

Offline film333

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 08:13:30 pm »
Hey guys, so far so good!  I will hit the gym tomorrow, been somewhat fatigued and my job requires me on my feet running around, so I didn't have the extra energy for a workout.  The only thing is I woke up today with this ugly rash on my stomach and thighs, yuck!!

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
The only thing is I woke up today with this ugly rash on my stomach and thighs, yuck!!

film, don't freak out too much about the rash; it happens to a good number of people in the beginning (in my case it covered my forearms and lasted only two days --other folks have had different experiences or no rash at all).  Hopefully it will go away soon; if it doesn't or if it gets significantly worse just check with your doc.

m.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline film333

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:45 am »
Thanks M.!!  I do appreciiate it, luckily it doesn't itch  just looks unpleasant, like someone threw some strawberry jam on my body and it just landed in spots lol.  Another weird thing I noticed was that my stool has been this very light brown color, instead of shit brown  no punt intended.  Anyone experience this?

Offline markaj

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 04:38:18 pm »
Film I got the rash too, it just cleared up by itself in no time at all.  The colour of stools is all to do with bile, assuming there's been no dramatic change in your diet  :)  If it persists it might be worth mentioning it to your doctor and they can take some samples from you and check things out. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:42:06 pm by markaj »
Infected Jan 08 / diagnosed Feb 08
Feb 08 - CD4 230 (9%) VL 3.5 million
Mar 08 - CD4 440 (6%) VL 660.000
Apr 08 - CD4 420 (11%) VL 3 million
Jun 08 - CD4 200 (7%) VL 3 million
Started Kaletra/Truvada Jul 08
Jul 08  - CD4 250 (14%) VL 23.893
Aug 08 - CD4 410 (15%)  VL 4.313
Switched to Sustiva/Truvada Aug 08
Switched to Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada Sep 08
Diagnosed with Hep C, HIV meds stopped for a bit
Nov 08 - CD4 414 (12%) VL 500.000+
Started Isentress/Truvada Nov 2008
Dec 08 - CD4 381 (17%) VL 1.116
Jan 09 - CD4 534 (20%) VL <50
Started Interferon/Ribavirin Jan 09
Feb 09 - CD4 407 (24%) VL <50
Mar 09 - CD4 360 (28%) VL <50
Apr 09 - CD4 279 (30%) VL <50
Jun 09 - CD4 298 (36%) VL <50
Aug 09 - CD4 303 (35%) VL <50

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.