Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:51:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 317
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dentist!  (Read 6352 times)

Offline DanielMark

Dentist!
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:57:08 pm »
The very word strikes a dagger of anxiety through my heart.

Tomorrow I have an afternoon appointment for a simple dental cleaning. I go twice a year for this, only this time I have other concerns to deal with. [Thanks a lot HIV.] So this time I seem to be obsessing much more than usual about going. On top of that I have a head cold which will make breathing only through my nose nearly impossible. Thank God I have a mild sedative I can take before going.

I did not know before I Googled it today but there is an actual condition called Dentaphobia. It's even classed as an illness by the WHO! LOL

I just hope I don’t sneeze snot all over the poor hygienist.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Re: Dentist!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:13:50 pm »
I have had braces for two years plus oral surgery and I HATE going to the dentist.  Normally I don't mind having tools in my mouth just not the stainless steel kind.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 01:17:06 pm »
I empathize with you about the phobia and actually think I may have found the solution for the HIV thing:  my dentist is gay!  And he is also a very generous, kind dentist in that he goes every year to Africa,  and donates  at least three weeks of his time to French AIDS organizations.  

The last time he went there, he worked for three weeks with  Médécins du Monde in Mauritania where local dentists refuse to see HIV positive patients.  Too bad he had to be flown back to Paris 'cause he almost died in  there of a bacterial infection.

Every year he tells me the stories of all these HIV positive people he and several French doctors meet  all over the African continent.  The looks of despondency  in their face when he arrives, and the look of happiness and hope when he starts taking care of them all...

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:55 pm »
Well here is a good one. I went for a root cleaning and they said they could not use the sonic tool on me because I was hiv+. Another dentist said that wasnt true and now the civil librities union wants my old dentist information based on discrimination.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 03:09:09 pm »
Well my dentist and hygienist are both schooled in HIV so that's not a problem. The problem is  me and my irrational overactive imagination when it comes to the whole situation. But I suppose that is the nature of any phobia.

PS: Indyguy, that's nonsense. I had a deep root cleaning years ago while HIV positive.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:10:40 pm by DanielMark »

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:18:45 pm »
Well here is a good one. I went for a root cleaning and they said they could not use the sonic tool on me because I was hiv+. Another dentist said that wasnt true and now the civil librities union wants my old dentist information based on discrimination.

My last cleaning involved a sonic tool. It was less painful than the old quadrant scaling, but no picnic either. There's merit in moving forward with such a case.

As an aside, I found it borderline amusing that the hygenist was dressed up in something more involved than what one uses to remove asbestos. I'm surprised that she didn't have a breathing apparatus, or maybe I couldn't see it underneath all those guards and layers.

Brent
(Who loathes the dentist and always has)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:32:23 pm »
If he is a good dentist he will be able to give you some help with your fears.  My dentist is an old fashioned country style doctor in the big city.  I am so lucky I found him.  He works miracles.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »
On top of that I have a head cold which will make breathing only through my nose nearly impossible.

Oh.  :( You'll tell them about that I'm sure. Ask them if you can take some saline spray e.g. Ayr

Hope it's all over fast

Alex

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:52:31 pm »
I'm so bad I have to get IV sedated for any dental work, is there any chance you could get a mild oral sedative, eg valium?
Good luck, will be gritting my teeth in sympathy
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 04:25:36 am »
As I mentioned, I will be taking a mild sedative. Can’t take too much tho since I need to be lucid to discuss treatment options for the problems that are developing. Dang!

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 06:18:40 pm »
Just got back from my dental appointment an hour ago and I'm still trying to process the not-so-good news I got.

Those "other concerns" I mentioned at the top of this thread were mainly regarding ongoing gum recession. Well now it seems that has progressed to the point of leaving several tooth roots exposed and they are developing “Caries” (cavities - on the roots)!

The only treatment is to scoop and fill the roots which will have to be done in a series of appointments, so this dentist hell isn't going to end any time soon. This cannot be reversed but the dentist said it can be arrested ... sometimes. Ugh.

The worst of the news was that I'm losing bone density in both the lower and upper tooth beds (mandible and maxilla).  :o

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:04:49 pm »
Right, sensible head on. You need to talk to your doc re bone density, as meds can do this, and men get osteoporosis too! However, I'm SO impressed you went. I've wussed for years, hence my teeth are now just what people think everyones teeth are like in UK! I'm sorry its bad news and you have to go back. If its cost effective, would you consider IV sedation if the dentist and yourself agreed before what treatment he would do? It really does make it less traumatic, and the less stress the better surely? Whatever options you choose, good luck with the treatment
xxxx
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Dentaphobia!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 10:14:13 pm »
Daniel: Thanks for giving our common neurosis a name, in fact a WHO-adopted condition. I love learning interesting things I'll never need to know.

I came back from my hygienist and Dentist today with a rave report about my gums, teeth, roots, etc. The hygienist is both kind and reasonably knowledgeable about hiv, asking me about my VL and CD4 count.

Everybody:
Go to the best Dentist you can.  ;D Don't hide your status.  :-\ Take care of your teeth.  :o

8) -megasept

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 11:18:10 am »
It is achieved. Just got back from my dental clinic and requested a new more compassionate more knowledgeable dentist. I’ll be seeing him in three weeks and was told he is “very nice.”

So long ye nasty old bag! :D

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 05:46:46 pm »
Well today I got my first dentist appointment since I tested poz. it was a regular cleaning appointment, and I filled up the form "changes in health", wrote "hiv+" on there, and the reaction from the nurse was "are you on any meds because it helps if we know what you're taking!" with a large smile. Then my dentist came to have a little friendly chat with me, saying that with this condition I will have ensure that my oral hygiene is pristine and pay much attention to anything that looks abnormal, and asking if the meds were still cd4 based, so we chatted a bit more on the cd4s and viral load. He was not pressing to get any numbers and reassured me that they treat all patients equally. So even though he's a bit "brutal" sometimes, I'll keep him.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 05:49:17 pm »
I've never had a fear about going to the Dentist even as a young boy. Just remember to relax and breathe! :)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 05:03:16 am »
Six hours from now the first appointment with the new dentist should be nearly over. I’m hoping and trying to think optimistically that he’ll be more compassionate than the previous one and will be checking his knowledge/experience with HIV clients beforehand, along with several other questions which I’ve printed out.

My boyfriend Jimmy will be in the waiting area for moral support and possibly to block me when I try to run screaming out of there. Got very little sleep overnight so it shouldn’t take much of his strength.

Daniel the Dentaphobe

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 06:22:42 am »
Hi Daniel,

I never understood until adulthood the joke about sadistic dentists, because as a child they would gas me into submission with "Mr. Nose".  And it seems like now when I go they devise new kinds of torture devices and scare tactics.

One bad experience with a high strung (or strung out) hygienist temp worker with a pick axe and my dentist thinks I'm a baby...

I feel like a bad person for not telling my dentist I am HIV positive and now I just don't know how to do it, plus I don't want to be paraded in a sack cloth and publicly shamed...

Good for you getting a new one!  You have my support 2!!

Drew

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 07:12:05 am »
Good luck on the dentist visit.  I am sure you'll do fine.

Just remember, you have to shop for a dentist just as you have to shop for a doctor.  Not every dentist is good and don't be afraid to tell them if you're in pain.  They should be attending to your needs.  People react differently to dentists which is why that field is so stressful.

I have mine at 8am to get a filling replaced which is going to be oh-so-fun.

Tom
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 11:28:46 am »
My HIV clinic (1917 at UAB) also has a dental clinic, where I have been receiving my dental care for about 2 years now.   I'm thankful for them, because otherwise I could not afford dental care.   The problem is, they are in no rush to do anything.....need a filling?   root canal?  crown?  no problem, they'll just add it to your "treatment plan".....but they may not get around to doing it for a couple of years.   Also, they are notorious for cancelling appointments, and bumping them forward, and involving even more time in the picture.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 03:28:01 am »
Dental update:

Old dentist = Nazi

New dentist = a major improvement

We didn't discuss our love lives but it's obvious to me he's Gay.

Had one of the minor procedures done yesterday - a drilling and filling of a tooth near the front. After the freezing came out, no pain at all. The next time it won't be so easy since it's two teeth both at the very back. That'll be done in a week. Then there are others that need to be done.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 06:59:32 am »
Isn't it amazing what a good dentist can do?  Glad to hear you finally find a good one (dentist that is)!

Tom
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 04:43:30 pm »
Thank you Tom,

The new dentist is MUCH better than the other one. He is more compassionate and careful and caring of my anxiety about being there. He was very gentle and explained things he was doing as he did them which helped put my mind at ease.

Made a world of difference.

Daniel

VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.