Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:27:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 210
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Joy of Packing over and over again!  (Read 15256 times)

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
The Joy of Packing over and over again!
« on: August 12, 2006, 12:12:07 am »
Thought I had everything almost packed then I had to unpack some liquids. Oh well I have all my 9 bottles of meds packed in my carryon. Now the wait for Thursday to get here and off I go.

Had to pack my size 13 tennis shoes that nearly took all the room up in my luggage.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:17:38 am by Jerry71 »

Offline Cliff

Re: The Joy of Packing over and over again!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:34:11 am »
You're packed already!!!  You're a more organized person than I am.  I'm sure I'll be packing, (well throwing shit in a luggage more like it), the morning of my flight.  I'm afraid to check my flight time as knowing how much longer the security process is now.  I just pray I'm not on that 9AM flight....if so, God help me cause there is no way I'm getting up at 5 A.M. to get to London-Gatwick.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:11:39 am »
I'll start packing some tonight, I suppose, and finish up Sunday-Monday.  I'm carrying meds with me, too, though not much else.  Maybe some extra chones.

I have to get up at 3:45, so I can make myself permanetly presentable (12-hour protection), even though the airport is only about 10 minutes away!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:52:35 am »
LOL... you guys crack me up moaning about what time you have to get up for the airport. I have to get up at 4am once every six weeks to go to Liverpool for clinic. You guys are going on a pleasure trip for goodness sake! Be thankful the airlines aren't completely grounded and set your alarm clocks. :D

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:03:43 am »
Had to pack my size 13 tennis shoes that nearly took all the room up in my luggage.

Jerry...it sounds like it would be easier to put everything in your shoes.  :-X

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Trish

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:24:47 am »

Jerry...it sounds like it would be easier to put everything in your shoes.  :-X

Regards,

The Canuck

HAHAHA!!! :D

My God, you guys are way, way ahead of me & John... We haven't even started to pack yet and we're on a plane at 6 a.m. Sunday headed for good ole Brooklyn, NY.  We're staying with my mom for 2 nights and then John, mom & I are driving to my brother's house in Upstate NY, near Lake George on Tuesday morning.  Then Wednesday morning John & I will be heading for Montreal with the t-shirts and a little something extra for ya'll. ;D 

Note to Jan:  I hope you don't have to go through too much bullshit at the airport & hoping that your travel time goes quickly.  I feel for you sweet lady.  Will be thinking of you as you travel.  Just be safe!!! 

And Cliff, I wish the same for you also.  Just pack wisely and there shouldn't be any problem.  Good luck & be safe!

That goes for you too Herman, I hope the airport ordeal is unscathing.  Be safe and Good luck!

Can't wait to see everyone.

Have a safe trip all!!!

Love,

Trish :-* :)

WE'RE GOING TO MONTREAL!!!  YAY!!!
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:59:27 am »
If you could, you should step into my "office".  It's a big mess.  I'm painting the hallways and moved all the books off the shelves into the room. Anyway, whenever I see something in parituclare I want to take I toss it on the "Montreal pile", in the corner of the room.  Between that and the futon and the printer and the dresser and the books, there's not much room for me.  In fact I have to sit at a right angle at the desk to type on the computer. 

robert

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:30:45 am »
I see everyone else is not ready to go yet either.

I filled my weekly pill box up and will be leaving it here and taking all those damn bottles with me in my carryon.
I will feel like a walking drug store going through customs.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 11:32:56 am »
Jerry,

No I'm not ready. I'm always packing 2-3 hours before leaving since I know pretty much what I'm bringing. This is also a bit easier for I since I'm not as much limited as I'm driving.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 01:20:41 pm »
Hi Jer,

Honey, I feel your pain! I've been doing everything I can to distract myself from the dreaded ironing board! Today I have to finish packing for Montreal so my suitcase will be ready to pick up on Thursday morning when I return from Toronto.

Yep, got a flight departing on Tuesday a.m. for the IAC and a return one on Wednesday night!

EEP!! I'll be on five different planes already by the time I get to you all in Montreal!!!! Someone meet me with a mug of tea, won't you??

Ok, I've got to go iron now.

Love,

Zephie :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 01:40:31 pm »
Hi Zephyr,

Today I have to finish packing for Montreal so my suitcase will be ready to pick up on Thursday morning when I return from Toronto.

Yep, got a flight departing on Tuesday a.m. for the IAC and a return one on Wednesday night!

You'll travel quite a lot girl..it wouldn't had been easier to make the trip from Toronto to Montreal instead of going back to California, and again another flight to Montreal...just sayin' ( JK tm ).  :P

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 01:47:44 pm »
Jerry does not iron. >:(  Too bad we will not have a clothes dryer in the room. Just could pop them clothes in the dryer and Im ready for the day. ???

Oh well don't kill me if I'm wrinkled. :o

Zepth why so much travel back and forth from California and then to Toranto?

I agree with Canuck would it not be better to go from Toranto then to Montreal?

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 01:47:57 pm »
Well I got my luggage pulled out and clothes in the cleaners....
Now if I can only find my pajama bottoms.......... ::)
(A Member of Free Willie since 1972)

Size 13...Hmmm  Is it true what they say about big feet and big hands?
Canuck has a good idea there I suspect, Jerry. :o

I'll save the actual packing until Tuesday night....since I'm leaving for Louisville Wednesday morning.
Hope my alarm clock goes off and I make it on time ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 01:52:23 pm »
Oh well don't kill me if I'm wrinkled.

Better have wrinkled clothes than a wrinkled face....having said that, it was only for the joke and meant no disrespect to anyone..after all I'm 50 so I might have more wrinkles on my face than my clothes.  ;D

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 09:23:42 pm »
It's a good thing my luggage has wheels, because if I load everything that I have "prepared" to pack into it, there will be no way I can lift it.

;D

PS - do you think 12 shirts and 10 pants is too much for a 5-day trip?   just askin'
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 09:26:51 pm »
PS - do you think 12 shirts and 10 pants is too much for a 5-day trip?   just askin'

Unless you are planning to pee in your pants on a regular basis..I'd think 10 pants is a bit too much.  ;D

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 11:35:04 pm »
Hopefully not Claude!

That reminds me of a joke:

Saleslady to man:  Sir, do you wear boxers or briefs?

Old Man:  .....Depends.......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 12:08:36 am »
Packing? Already? Please. I will pack Thursday morning :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 12:16:01 am »
Yes, but Jonathan you're the type that looks great no matter WHAT you throw on.....like those International Male models who look good even in those awful 'pimp' clothes  :D

Some of us have to work harder (not that it helps....)

You'll pack Thursday morning?   Lord, not me, I have to leave my house at about 4:30 am or some such ungodly hour....

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 12:24:32 am »
Some of us have to work harder (not that it helps....)

Alan..at our '' advanced age '' we do what we could...and indeed requires a bit more attention for trying to look good, but at the end of that day I always say '' the hell with it ''... ;)

The Canuck

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 12:27:31 am »
Yes, Claude I do that frequently myself!

We will just sit back and enjoy watching those who don't have to work quite so hard at "looking good".....

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 12:29:42 am »
We will just sit back and enjoy watching those who don't have to work quite so hard at "looking good".....

Alan..this is better than nothing I guess.  :P

The Canuck

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 08:23:33 am »
It has turned cold here in the mountains of Virginia. Woke up this morning and it was 55F. I can just see the temps up in Canada.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 09:53:50 am »
I said it before and I will repeat it!

I am taking only one suitcase. Just one. I promise.

Well, and a carry on with my meds.

But, JUST ONE SUITCASE. I am resisting the urge to add a second suitcase. RESIST, MUST RESIST!

Two full-sized suitcases is just too much for one person. (Keep saying that to yourself Mark, keep repeating it).

I finished ironing, not that it will matter, because by the time I cram everything into one suitcase it will all be wrinkled anyway.

Do I really need that second set of boots? How many pairs of swimming trunks do I really need to take to Monteal? Would people notice if I wore none at all? Would anyone want to notice?

So many questions when packing.

BASICS MARK, JUST THE BASICS!

OH NO! The pink taffetta bridesmaids dress won't fit! UGH!

I should have taken the train. They allow trunks on the train.

EEP!

(&&#*_$)@#*&

Mark

Who is really packing and having a hard time deciding what to bring.
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline david25luvit

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 10:10:55 am »
I must admit bringing the right assemble is crucial...but more importantly bringing an open mind and a big heart comes at the top of my list.  Of course if I look good smoozing with my brothers and sisters...All the more better.  But like Claude and Alan....Looking good is getting harder and harder these days.  But I do try.  Somehow pulling out the luggage and sorting things out sure makes it REAL.  The excitement continues to build and if airport security doesn't put too much of a damper on things...I suspect we're all going to "look fabulous" and have a great time.

Oh Boy!!!  Montreal here I come.... :P :P :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 10:27:17 am »
But like Claude and Alan....Looking good is getting harder and harder these days.  But I do try.

In the end, if I feel ok with myself when I look into the mirror then it's all right to me...and the hell with it. I mean, we can't go back in time and pretend we are still looking as 25 years old. I certainly don't and if my look isn't the most attractive for majority then so be it. After all this is not the purpose of the gathering, isn't it ?  :D

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline david25luvit

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 01:12:52 pm »

Oh Claude...you sound like an old queen....Get a grip! ::)
Personally I don't care if you look 20 or 70...if you got a good heart and a sweet disposition... :P
I'll follow you around anywhere............ :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »
David,

All I meant is that I don't make a fixation on this...what you see is what you get..good or bad.  ;)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Basquo

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 02:32:03 pm »
Now that I'm checking a suitcase, I can bring some fabulous things like my turquoise oxfords, and a fabulous vintage Levi's Western dress suit that I just inherited (and it fits perfectly, thanks Papa!)  Looks like my carryon shall have meds, a notebook (paper) and some kleenex.  I hope they provide mouthwash on board!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 07:48:14 pm »
Okay, scratch that because %@#&*%$!!!!!!

Jerry, thanks for starting this thread because I'm sure I will receive good advice.  Keep in mind I have been travelling mostly in a truck by myself and now recently in a big old-school minivan.

finished packing, but my largest suitcase is bulging, and I still only have one pair of shoes in there.  No room for the turquoise oxfords that complete my Nina Hagen-butterfly-inspired ensemble! (It's very cute)

So do I 1) cut each clothing group by 1 or 2 items?  2) pack another, smaller case to check?  3) just ship my clothes back to Texas after wearing them?  I need room for the souvenirs my nieces and nephews will surely expect!!

Seasoned flying travellers, your wisdom is sought!

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2006, 07:59:57 pm »
Hello Creighton,

So do I 1) cut each clothing group by 1 or 2 items?  2) pack another, smaller case to check?  3) just ship my clothes back to Texas after wearing them?

It's hard to tell for #1 since we don't have any idea how many piece of clothing you have in there. For sure keep the Versace thong.  ;D

#3 isn't really an option I guess and #2 might but would be best to stay at #1 and take a few things out..

Regards,

The Canuck
(who didn't really help much)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2006, 08:20:47 pm »
Okay, I've removed:  the Tommy Jeans shorts that I love because they fall off my ass, reminding me how much weight I've lost, 1 pair of plaid shorts, the Mel gibson mugshot shirt (see my avatar,) and my Gargoyles-New Orleans sleeveless T (but kept the Camp Cupcake/Free Martha sleeveless for the pool.)

What's realy bulky is my grandfather's Levis dress suit.  I want to wear it for Ric and Thom's nuptials.  I could substitute with a faux-Versace glittery jacket that would give Liberace a run for his money, is that too much "che"? It would take less than half the room of the Levis.  Damn! Bugger!  Each I would only wear once for the whole trip.

Maybe I should wear just a nice shirt and slacks for the wedding...

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2006, 08:28:53 pm »
Maybe I should wear just a nice shirt and slacks for the wedding...

Maybe it would be easier that way and personally I go that route for the wedding. I have a leather jacket that would look fine with this but don't really want to wear a jacket. I have more options since I'm driving and can bring more stuff with me, yet at the same time I'm a bit lazy so..the lesser the better.  ;D

I could substitute with a faux-Versace glittery jacket that would give Liberace a run for his money, is that too much "che"?

I should had known...the guy owns a Versace Thong after all.  ;D

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Basquo

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2006, 09:30:03 pm »
HA!  I've figured it out (for now.)  I'll just have a second carryon.  I have a smallish garment bag that will hold the suit plus a shirt and another pair of slacks.  It rolls up very nicely. I'm used to flying with that much (albeit only in Texas, isn't it weird when it's cheaper to fly than to drive across the state?)

Thanks again Jerry for starting this thread, can't wait to meet you in person!

Creighton
(Basquo)

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »
Same in meeting all you guys that are going. ;D

Offline david25luvit

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2006, 07:35:22 pm »
The JOY/ ANXIETY of packing has begun....  I can see right now one needs to be a magician to get
everything into a small carry-on bag and a large red roller bag with lots of Zippers.  I fear I'll have to leave
my Carmen Mirranda Hat at home....Damnit! ::)

Now my wedding ensemble...I'm with you Creighton.  A nice shirt and slacks. ;)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2006, 08:06:04 pm »
With the current restrictions and wierdness, I'm just bringing my ludicrously huge checked bag, and my laptop bag for electronics. Good news is, I will prolly have room for many gifts to take home :). Haven't decided whether to take a blender or not ;P
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.