Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:28:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 214
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why no one cares?  (Read 21754 times)

Offline iwannahelp

Why no one cares?
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:07:52 am »
I know many people around me that i care have HIV but I always thought HIV as "someone else's disease".
Recently i got tested negative after a high risk exposure and the period between exposure and test taught me some valuable lessons.

I'm an activist and I'm kind of a person who "lit a candle rather than cursing the darkness"

I see that being HIV+ is not a very big concern for you (don't get offended). I mean you can afford medicines and we all know that
most of you will live more than me.

But there are millions of people who do not have access to HIV medication since it is impossible for them to afford.

As you know , best protection vs HIV is usage of condoms; unfortunately founding a condom company is far too expensive for me.
That's why I'm thinking of manufacture & sales of "personal lubricant" which is still very important in minimizing condom failures.

I'll form a nonprofit foundation that will share its earnings by providing medicine to people without access to hiv medication.
Even free lubricants to countries where people have no knowledge about this product.

The product will mostly sell in Europe & USA ;

I've made every contact and even designs are ready. Only problem is that , i couldn't come up with a good brand name.

I got some names in my mind : / 4 Wet / Venus Glide / G-spot / 
(Please help me choose between those brand names .. or advice one)

I've created many topics in various sites related with HIV .. no single person replied yet.

I apologize for my English ;

Thank you for your support.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:18:15 am by Peter Staley »

Offline Basquo

Re: Why no one cares?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:24:36 am »

I see that being HIV+ is not a very big concern for you (don't get offended). I mean you can afford medicines and we all know that
most of you will live more than me.

I've created many topics in various sites related with HIV .. no single person replied yet.

Here's a reply for you: who in the hell are you talking to? Could you please introduce yourself?

Thanks,
Creighton

Offline iwannahelp

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:31:47 am »
It's a forum for HIV+ people? Ok you made me confused ..

I'm just someone who wants to form a small foundation to help people with HIV+
Just wanted to ask people to help me about chosing a brand name..

And some couraging words would be most appreciated.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:33 am »
I see that being HIV+ is not a very big concern for you (don't get offended).

I doubt you are going to get much help or encouragement with statements such as this.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline iwannahelp

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:56:33 am »
I doubt you are going to get much help or encouragement with statements such as this.

Ehm i'm very sorry if that offended you ; i used to say that to a close friend of mine who is HIV+ to cheer him up.
I mean i just keep telling him HIV is just a pill/day and its like having diabetes. I apologize again.

Offline woodshere

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:19:14 am »
Ehm i'm very sorry if that offended you ; i used to say that to a close friend of mine who is HIV+ to cheer him up.
I mean i just keep telling him HIV is just a pill/day and its like having diabetes. I apologize again.

You are right for some, myself included, it is just a pill a day (actually a few more than that).  However for many it is a living hell.  Just recently a forum member passed who meant a great deal to many here I doubt if her husband,family or friends would think "HIV was no big concern."  Not being positive yourself I think I would tread lightly in the "no big concern" and "just a pill a day" area.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline iwannahelp

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 11:25:14 am »
You are right for some, myself included, it is just a pill a day (actually a few more than that).  However for many it is a living hell.  Just recently a forum member passed who meant a great deal to many here I doubt if her husband,family or friends would think "HIV was no big concern."  Not being positive yourself I think I would tread lightly in the "no big concern" and "just a pill a day" area.

That ruined my day , i feel awful now ..  damn im so sorry  :-\

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:26:20 am »
I got some names in my mind : / 4 Wet / Venus Glide / G-spot /  
(Please help me choose between those brand names .. or advice one)

I've got some names in mind but you don't want to  hear them. Please take your silly "snake oil" somewhere else. Reported to mods.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:32:39 am »
I'll ignore your lack of common courtesy for not introducing yourself and I can even overlook some of your comments, but you really need to get some marketing help for choosing your name, not trolling HIV websites.  And what is with your title: "Why no one cares?"  Cares about what?  Helping you pick a name for a product?  Get real.  Most of the people here are too busy trying to stay alive than worrying about some new product name.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:06:14 pm »
Hey gang -- a bit harsh on rolling out our welcome mat, don't you think?

From what I can tell, this HIV negative poster doesn't mean any harm, and as often happens when a neggie asks pozzies for help, they put foot in mouth pretty quickly.  Making things worse, it seams English isn't his first language.  But cut the guy a break, okay?  This is the Off Topic forum, so he's allowed to be here.

It seems he wants to be the Paul Newman of the personal lubricant market.  When you think of it, it's not a crazy idea (although it would take an extraordinary person to pull it off).  If there was a personal lubricant on the market that was sold by a not-for-profit, and donated all it's profits to AIDS charities, I think a lot of folks would buy this particular lube.

So he seems well-meaning to me -- just wants to raise money to fight AIDS in a creative way.

So if you still find this thread offensive, please ignore it.  But don't slam the door on good intentions simply because his English is bad, and he doesn't know how to speak the HIV+ PC dialect.

Peter

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 12:24:14 pm »
Hey Iwannahelp,

I apologize if I came across as being rude, but I have lost at least one person to HIV for each of the past five years, so to hear that HIV is of no concern, really made me angry.  But while reading Peter's post I remembered why we are here and I do not believe that you really meant any harm in your comments and as I re-read them, I can understand them within your context.

I wasn't kidding when I said you need some marketing help, because the names you propose are already problematic, at least in the US.  We have a lube here called Wet that is trademarked and you may find they will not like you using their name as part of yours.  You also need to get the opinions of the people you are hoping to sell to.  I am not so sure that everyone would buy a lube called "G-Spot" and you would want to know if that name was equally appealing to both males and females.  You may even want to consider making two lubes, one for men and the other for women.  These are just some of the things you need to know and someone with a marketing background could help to direct you.  I have a marketing background myself and I can tell you your product name will be the "MOST IMPORTANT" part of your product.

Otherwise you names sound decent, but you need to do some background work to make sure you can use the name that you finally chose.

Offline iwannahelp

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »
Hey gang -- a bit harsh on rolling out our welcome mat, don't you think?

From what I can tell, this HIV negative poster doesn't mean any harm, and as often happens when a neggie asks pozzies for help, they put foot in mouth pretty quickly.  Making things worse, it seams English isn't his first language.  But cut the guy a break, okay?  This is the Off Topic forum, so he's allowed to be here.

It seems he wants to be the Paul Newman of the personal lubricant market.  When you think of it, it's not a crazy idea (although it would take an extraordinary person to pull it off).  If there was a personal lubricant on the market that was sold by a not-for-profit, and donated all it's profits to AIDS charities, I think a lot of folks would buy this particular lube.

So he seems well-meaning to me -- just wants to raise money to fight AIDS in a creative way.

So if you still find this thread offensive, please ignore it.  But don't slam the door on good intentions simply because his English is bad, and he doesn't know how to speak the HIV+ PC dialect.

Peter

Thank you very much for saying what i wanted to say :) You gotto know that it is very hard for me to say what i really want to say.

I really do not know anything about being HIV+ . I just got several very good friends with HIV where i love to spend time with; Their friends outcasted them and i'm the only one who is really standing with them all along.  One of my friend barely affords HIV medicines and i saw how hard is it for someone HIV+ to seek for medicine. He told me if he cannot afford the medicines for a while , everything will be ruined for him.

Ok i can help him financely for a while but it can't go like that forever ;   I just thought of forming a company which can roll itself without my help after a while.. Which can help people that cant afford medicines, like my friend. It won't be huge ; even if everything goes well, maybe i can continiously sustain medicines to several hundreds of people.. 

I didn't asked for money  neither anything that will take your time ; Just asked for a name. I want to belive that many of you are very angry to me cus i kinda misused the english language.

I apologize again.

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 01:49:31 pm »
I, too, hope that this person is able to follow through on his promises.  It would make the life of so many people easier if they have access to the proper medications.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline woodshere

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 01:51:52 pm »
I don't think it has anything to do with your use of the English language, as Peter said you said a couple of things that put your foot in your mouth.  You aren't the first person to do that nor will you be the last.  What I was doing was just trying to caution you on your choice of words.
I really do not know anything about being HIV+ .

I don't think this is true, if nothing else you now know how sensitive some of us are to the way things are said.

I just got several very good friends with HIV where i love to spend time with; Their friends outcasted them and i'm the only one who is really standing with them all along.  One of my friend barely affords HIV medicines and i saw how hard is it for someone HIV+ to seek for medicine. He told me if he cannot afford the medicines for a while , everything will be ruined for him.
Ok i can help him financely for a while but it can't go like that forever ;   

Your friends are very lucky to have someone that cares for them the way in which you do.  I wish you the best as you try to figure out ways to help them.

Woods

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 02:14:20 pm »
wannahelp,

it's all good, baby.  please just understand this here is a group that's very protective of one another, and there have been a number of people who have come on here before and been unscrupulous and sometimes downright cruel.  take my word for it:  this is a great bunch of folks here, and none of them would be any more intentionally mean towards you than you would be toward us.

i'm totally lost about a lube name at the moment, but if i think of one i will pass it along. 

tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 03:57:16 pm »
Wannahelp---

I think your heart is in the right place. And even though your English may not be the best, you should still introduce yourself. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Maybe then some people will warm up to you a little more. Even read some of the threads here. That may show you why some people got offended by the statements you made.

As for the name of your product, well, I can't be of any help there. But even if someone did give you a name and your business became a big success, don't you think you should compensate the person who gave you the name? I mean, you would be making money off of their idea even if the money went to help others get medicine. Just throwing that out there.

I hope you continue to help your friend as much as possible. Maybe you can help him get help somewhere. Not sure how things are wherever you are. Best of luck.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 06:53:23 pm »
iwannahelp,

The title of your thread, the angry face and the fact that it was your first post made me angry--and if you really posted just for the reason you said then I apologize and look forward to more posts from you.

Since I was the first one to be so rude to you, I'll be the first to suggest a name:  Groovy Lube.

Peace,
Creighton

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 07:04:58 pm »
 ....since the name"astro glide" is alredy trademarked...I thought something along the lines of "Uni-Lube", or "Master Glide" might prove useful to a universal audience.
   ...sorry things started off rough for you here. I applaud your effort.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:47 pm »
How about naming the lubricant “ SlipSlide” ?

Here’s a thought, see if you can enlist singers/songwriters Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel (not because they’re together, but because they wrote/recorded the song originally) to re-record the chorus with new lyrics.

How about something like this…

Slip sliding today, slip sliding today
With safer sex a destination, the more you want SlipSlide when you play

Good luck in your international efforts. If you use the name, please donate my paycheck back to the cause.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:10 pm »
How about Piece Grease?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:48 pm »
I'm going to guess "Better Than Spit" wouldn't work to well as a name but it was the first smarty pants thing that popped in my head.

;D

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 07:39:32 am »

Oh,...I don't know..

How about "veiner schlider"  :)   

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 07:54:41 am »
pro-tect-o goo

sperminator

jesus jelly

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 08:41:38 am »
pro-tect-o goo

sperminator

jesus jelly

p.s. sorry if I was a bit terse, but everyone around here will tell you it's because I'm old and cranky. ;D

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 08:42:59 am »
yet another , out to make a profit off the illness I have....sigh*

having said that why not name it "Fast Buck"
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 08:47:24 am »
You say you've made contacts and gotten design ready...but is the actual lube formulated yet? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 09:17:52 am »
Ma Goo......(Mister MaGoo is trademarked already, sorry.)

a Toon: you could have a spin-off from the original character and the guy would be walking around with a boner showing in his pants...you know, with emphasis on foresightedness instead of nearsightedness.

Mike M
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:41:33 am by mjmel »

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
How about:
Joy Juice
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 01:56:31 pm »
Nutter Butter is already taken isnt it?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 02:08:19 pm »
How about marketing a secondary line (same product, different container) of an Impersonal Lubricant for those moments when it's nothin' personal and strictly business?

Up, Up and Away

Locomotion Lotion

Locolotion

On the Goo

Lewbe

Chute

Gotta Go Goo

OMG Goo

Loose Caboose

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:30 pm »
Crotch Slime hummmm. naaaaaa I doubt that would work.
Its a shame Nutter Butter is already taken by Nabisco.
I think I like it even more than Better Than Spit.

Crank Lube?

Gimme a while I'll think of something else that amuses me....

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 02:38:31 pm »
I Can't Believe It's Not Jizz.

MtD

Offline woodshere

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 02:52:20 pm »
MtD

Love it, of course with barebackers it would not apply.

What about:  SLICK SPIT might appeal to a certain demographic

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
Back Door Buddy?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 03:36:34 pm »
Jammin'

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:19 pm »
Sumadat

As in, lemme put some 'o dat stuff on first, 'kay?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:44:48 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 03:46:58 pm »
LOL  Sumadat

Good one

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 03:53:06 pm »
Hey thanks Win.

Have you noticed Iwannahelp has been Iwannagetouttahere?

I love reading everyone's suggestions. This is fun!

Back to the mystery...Where is he? He stirred up an international think tank thang and then vanished.

Come back please, we need to know if our non-profit client is pleased with our results to date.

You are not permitted to be a "lube naming lurker", okay?

Thank you.

From the Gang of Goo Heads having a Hoot with this.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:13 pm »
Naaaa. I dont pay much attention to anyones name unless they grab my attention.

I remember faces, sounds and situations better.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 04:04:29 pm »
Iwannacrackfullofgrease

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 06:51:36 pm »

MtD

But, does it taste like Jizz?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 06:58:41 pm »

WHET

(as in whet your appetite)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 07:13:21 pm »

MtD

LMFAO....Only you, babe!!!!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:31 pm »
Slip-N-Dip?

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 07:43:25 pm »
Hole Butter ?

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 08:09:04 pm »
I vote for Em's "Impersonal lubricant": "Up, Up & Away".

Your name here  X_______________

Offline ademas

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 08:18:51 pm »

MtD

omfg...I'm crying here.
you're priceless, Matty.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:34 pm »
Slab-n-jab ?

Offline iwannahelp

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2007, 03:13:18 am »
Hey guyz , i'm still here .. just wanted to give you enough space for brainstorming :) and i don't want to talk often since every time i do someone puts a foot in my mouth (oh just learned that idiom from you , hope i used it correct)  ;D

Btw i will not manufacture the lube ; i'll outsource it but may start manufacturing in the future to minimize the costs.

And i would like to thank for the suggestions ; to be honest "better than spit" made my day  :D

I have a close friend which is very very talented in graphic & 3d design and with our current design  the product name should be serious and a bit away from "sex shop" line.

emeraldize your name offers seems most promising atm.
Thunter34 , that name sucked hard but you look very handsome so you're forgiven  8)

tendai

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2007, 06:08:35 am »
every time i do someone puts a foot in my mouth (oh just learned that idiom from you , hope i used it correct)  ;D
didnt !! :D :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.