Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:23:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 759
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 755
Total: 756

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anybody know of any place to meet poz men?  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Rcamx311

Anybody know of any place to meet poz men?
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:55:14 am »
Hello i have tried poz.com but no luck :( Where is everyone meeting their poz men ! HELP any suggestions?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Anybody know of any place to meet poz men?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:33 am »
Rest stops, public lavatories and bath houses from what I can tell.

Welcome to teh Forums. :)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
Rest stops, public lavatories and bath houses from what I can tell.

Welcome to teh Forums. :)

:D  ;D  ;)  gotta have the humor of Matty when you need it LOL  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Florida69

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:51 pm »
why limit yourself?  When i broke up with my ex last December, I too had decided that I would rather date a positive guy.  After meeting several alcoholics, drug addicts, the list goes on.  I decided that as long as I had a stigma against negative guys, then I deserved the stigma that is attached to me being positive.  So I opened up the dating pool and joined dating sites and did place my status in my bio line.  Since then I have met a great guy, so what latex is always going to be part of our lives.  I have learned that latex can be fun, and there is so much more to a relationship than sex, I understand that sex is important, but so is intamacy and respect.  Now once we find a cure or a vaccine then we get to explore other options, but for now if you love it glove it.  Good luck in your search.  D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »
Hello i have tried poz.com but no luck :( Where is everyone meeting their poz men ! HELP any suggestions?

Do you mean straight poz men or gay poz men?  If the latter, Matty's answer is hardly a joke.  I suspect the infection rate is even higher than the "1 in five" number which everyone is touting.  I prefer to just set most internet site searches to filter for people who list their status as "poz", "don't know" or "not listed".  If the former, a few of the straight people on here may want to chime in.  You may want to try straight support groups.  Most big cities have them.  If you don't live in  a big city, it could be worth the drive.  Try attending one.  You may also want to google HIV dating, there are (too) many sites which specialize in this, and it probably dilutes the pool.   
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:39:17 pm »
Welcome Rcam,

Your local ASO has functions and such that you can attend. Also typically they have big fundraisers such as dances, auctions, art shows, etc.. While not everyone at these fundraisers wil be poz a great many of them will be.

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:54:39 pm »

And, yes not hanging out in those places , Rest stops, public lavatories and bath houses  ,I suspect the infection rate would be null...wouldn't say  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:53 pm »

If I was single I would stalk ladies coming outta my doctor's office.... this might be an avenue you might consider.  Just with guys instead. :)  I don't know which you are looking for, gay or straight, but fortunately for you both orientations still have to go to the doctor eventually... if your car doesn't have AC Dollar has cheap rates during the summer.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:30 pm »
I read somewhere in 1994 that 60% of all gay men, living in metropolitan areas in the US are HIV+ whether they know it or not (Los Angeles).  I read the same statistics 10 years later in San Francisco.  Based on these theories, if you are a gay man living in a metropolitan area in the US, over half the gay men in your community are already HIV+.

So, if you are a woman looking for a straight man with HIV, the dating pool is considerably smaller.  A woman I knew moved to California from Florida a few years ago because she met a straight man on POZ Personals.  They traveled back and forth for months before she packed up her life in Florida to live with him here.  At first, she was so happy, they found an apartment together.  I saw her again all packed up and moving back to Florida.  She said he changed.

For myself, I joined the Commission on AIDS, all the sub-committees and task forces and was active for a couple of years.  Never met a gay man with HIV who was even remotely interested in me.  The Nurse at our clinic used to say things like, "It makes me horny when you talk dirty" Apparently he said that to all the patients so, I gave up on HIV+ gay men and settled for an HIV- man.  They are not perfect but he does love me after 3 years if dating.  Why limit yourself?   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:43 pm »
If you haven't had much luck on the internet, then I would agree with Matty.  I know you'd find other poz men at adult bookstores, rest stops, bath houses.  I guess it depends on how you feel about those places.  There are some really nice people who go to those places and not just undesirable people.  Other than that, taking out an ad in the paper the old fashion way?  If you go to a doc who deals with HIV folks exclusively or mostly, would be a good place to chat in the waiting room.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »

If you haven't had much luck on the internet, then I would agree with Matty.

Try the doctor offices first, then the bookstores if you must.  If you're a lady carry a bat with you please.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51:44 pm »
Most major cities have active gay groups. Book clubs, singing groups, civic/community organizations, sports groups. All welcome newcomers. Try and not make it all about meeting only poz men (unless you need the group therapy solidarity) but meeting people, period. The larger your social circle, the more likely you are to meet someone with  shared interests.

A virus alone does not make solidarity, beyond discussions of that virus. And even then, not so very much.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline littleprince

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:23 am »
If you haven't had much luck on the internet, then I would agree with Matty.  I know you'd find other poz men at adult bookstores, rest stops, bath houses.  I guess it depends on how you feel about those places.  There are some really nice people who go to those places and not just undesirable people.  Other than that, taking out an ad in the paper the old fashion way?  If you go to a doc who deals with HIV folks exclusively or mostly, would be a good place to chat in the waiting room.

Sometimes I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. This is one of them.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:42:15 am »
While not everyone at these fundraisers wil be poz a great many of them will be.

And negative people who attend such events are more likely to not be hiv-phobic and therefore open to dating pozzies.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »
There's also the social groups for poz people in various cities.

If you are a gay man look up "Strength in Numbers" -- they have many local chapters.

Otherwise, try googling poz social groups.

There is also a poz cruise every fall(?) that some members here have posted about -- it has both heterosexual and gay offerings.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »
When I lived in Waikiki, my friends and I would go to the bathrooms at Queen's Surf to take turns standing on the street to see who could get the most expensive car to stop, then we walked away.  It was a contest for the hours between 4:00 and 6:00 AM when all the clubs were closed.

One of my friends went to Griffith Park for a "George Michaels" impersonation, he too was arrested.  His vintage car was impounded and lost because he could not afford the impound and towing fees.  You would think he would learn but again arrested in Golden Gate Park.  Last, I heard... he found several parks, parking lots, some trails and highway rest stops and is getting all the sex he wants and filed a BK because of all the fines   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:47 pm »
why limit yourself?  When i broke up with my ex last December, I too had decided that I would rather date a positive guy.  After meeting several alcoholics, drug addicts, the list goes on.  I decided that as long as I had a stigma against negative guys, then I deserved the stigma that is attached to me being positive.  So I opened up the dating pool and joined dating sites and did place my status in my bio line.  Since then I have met a great guy, so what latex is always going to be part of our lives.  I have learned that latex can be fun, and there is so much more to a relationship than sex, I understand that sex is important, but so is intamacy and respect.  Now once we find a cure or a vaccine then we get to explore other options, but for now if you love it glove it.  Good luck in your search.  D
I lke this one.  All the poz guys I met seen to have mental problems or just users wanting a Sugar Daddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline next2u

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:22:34 pm »
compatibles are just hard to find.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »
Just saw this on the AIDSMeds homepage.  It is a story the NY Times did about people with illnesses finding dates and/or love.  It listed poz.com personals, but it also listed a website I had never heard of before--prescription4love.com.  It says that site has a forum for people with sexually transmitted diseases.  I haven't looked at it yet to see how many HIV poz people are members.  Maybe worth a try? 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/health/28dating.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=dating%20sites%20for%20people%20with%20health&st=cse

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »
Just saw this on the AIDSMeds homepage.  It is a story the NY Times did about people with illnesses finding dates and/or love.  It listed poz.com personals, but it also listed a website I had never heard of before--prescription4love.com.  It says that site has a forum for people with sexually transmitted diseases.  I haven't looked at it yet to see how many HIV poz people are members.  Maybe worth a try? 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/health/28dating.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=dating%20sites%20for%20people%20with%20health&st=cse

Heh, The New York Times can be so twee. "Dating sites focus on people with health problems". :)

Also I loved this:

These sites are generally small and run by one person or a small group. They are usually free, although some have a few ads to cover costs.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.