Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 02:45:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chicago Gay Olympics and Montreal Outgames  (Read 8316 times)

Offline gord

Chicago Gay Olympics and Montreal Outgames
« on: July 02, 2006, 11:56:52 am »
Howdy All,

The Gay Olympics are in Chicago and the Outgames are in Montreal this month is anyone here attending?

Cheers

Gord

Offline The Canuck

Re: Chicago Gay Olympics and Montreal Outgames
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:04:15 pm »
Hi Gord,

I thought about going to the Montreal Outgames but don't know if I'll have the time since I have a lot of work. I also want to make sure all my work will be done before the Montreal Gathering 2006 occurs.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline PDXRon31

• PML Survivors & Supporters
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 12:17:17 pm »
I am not able to attend, but I did just start seeing a hot volleyball player that is flying to Chicago and competing this month! Does that count? :)
Diagnosed with HIV in 2000
Diagnosed with PML in 2005
Diagnosed with Fabulosity at birth

Current treatments: Sustiva, Combivir, K-PAX supplements, and Myelin Sheath Support.
Last labs: September 2006
CD4 507 VL Undetectable

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:20:35 pm »
I have never heard of the gay olympics. Is it like the regular olympics?

disregard my questions...i looked it up on the net. Should have done it before i asked.

Hugs
Teresa
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 12:25:16 pm by Teresa »
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline gord

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 12:39:05 pm »
Howdy All,

The Gay Games are a celebration of community.  It is held every 4 years and uses the Olympic model and ideals. 

The key focus is on sport, however a significant part of the week long event is devouted to art and culture. 

And yes on another level there is a lot partying.

12 000 gay athletes and cultrual participants will be attending the games.

It should be a blast!

Cheers

Gord

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 12:42:28 pm »
Too bad I didn't make the cut for the golf competition! ;D
I could still try swimming, perhaps?
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline gord

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 12:53:03 pm »
Hey Val,

Personal best and a lot fun.  I know I will not be on the medal podium but I'll certainly march out on the field for the opening ceremonies and do my fais share of partying!

Cheers

Gord

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
Gord,

What is the difference between the Gay Olympics and Montreal Outgames ? I thought the Outgames was mostly about sports too...or Are the Outgames more cultural oriented ?

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline gord

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 01:03:53 pm »
Hey Canuck,

The short answer is "politics"  of the gay sport organisation running the two events.   The OUTGAMES were born from a protest. 

I love sport and I support gay sports where ever it happens.   

Respectfully, I decline becoming involved in the debate between factions.

But thanks for your interest, it's good to network with new people.

Cheers

Gord

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 01:09:55 pm »
Gord,

Many thanks for the answer. Do you know what was the origin of the protest ? I'm not asking for starting a debate on this subect but rather curious to know why it simply happened.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline gord

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 01:15:57 pm »
"In 2001 the Federation of Gay Games (the organizing body of the Gay Games) selected Montreal to host the 2006 Gay Games. However the Montreal Committee and the Federation were having a hard time agreeing on a contract. At stake was the control and scope of the event. In November 2003, Montreal walked away from negotiations and decided to hold their own international gay sporting event. A new governing body was formed called Gay and Lesbian International Sports Association (GLISA) It was originally called Rendez-Vous Montreal 2006, but was later changed to Outgames. In the meantime, the Federation of Gay Games named Chicago as the new host of the 2006 Gay Games. "

This is a copy of a web article

Cheers  Gord

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 01:22:20 pm »
Gord,

Many thanks again for answering ! I have now a better idea of what happened, however I hope both events are not being held at the same time. If so, then it's not in the best interest of the Gay community. There's enough politics in real life without adding political stress and mumbo jumbo to such events.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 04:28:55 pm »
Well, Canuck the ""mumbo jumbo"" you're talking about is simply called, in French, "le fric!"  You can bet there was all this disagreement because of financial matters!  Period.  I might be wrong, but since..."money makes the world goes square :) and round"", allow me to doubt it.  Besides, human beings cannot survive without three basic things:  ""Money, sex and religion!"  There's gotta be a God/dess somewhere to please and to  be feared by  someone, somewhere,  sometime.  There's gotta be some money to buy you things and for your honey, for example.  And, finally, there's gotta be a little church/mosquée/synagogue  in each village/city of the planet not only to represent  and affirm a certain entity and send a message stating  who's in command, but also to make it "joli"!  We are only humans, after all!
Now, should the gays be any different?  They just might be regarding...sex!  Not the rest.

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 12:58:44 am »
I am going to try to make it down to Chicago for the Gay Games.  I love the Olympics, so if the spirit is likened to that, I would love to go.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 01:05:46 am »
Val,

Besides, human beings cannot survive without three basic things:  ""Money, sex and religion!"

The last one ( religion ) is definitely one of my basis thing but agree this is what drives most people.

Yes it could '' le fric '' as you wrote but the '' standard Olympics '' as we can call them aren't divided, and we're still talking about '' money '' and '' politics '' here. If they can do it then I don't see why it would be different for the '' Gay Games '' since we aren't any different, except for sex as you pointed it out.  8)

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline carousel

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 07:07:50 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:44:16 am by carousel »

Offline gord

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 08:18:15 am »
Howdy All,

It is pleasing to read your interest the topic. 
I started this discussion for three reasons:

1) I'm going to Chicago and Montreal and would like to meet new acquaintances

2)  I am a supporter of sport and presently volunteer with an organisation that champion gay sport here in Canada. 

3)  I would like network with likeminded POZ who are interested exploring the notion of creating an international group of POZ athletes and their supporters.

All interested parties are invited to message me personally via POZ.

Cheers

Gord

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:55:47 am »
I would love to go to the gay games but my partner would not approve. He loathes any event with the word "gay" in it. The one thing I get away with is Halloween in West Hollywood, and I've learned to leave him at home for that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.