Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:56:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My first cd4 count  (Read 20441 times)

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
My first cd4 count
« on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:48 pm »
I kept going back and forth on where 2 Post this.  I feel as if I just tested Poz since it's only been a month but it feels like an eternity that I have been posting, reading and communicating on the Living With forum.

As many of U know, and 4 some strange reason I keep saying, I found out on the 20th of June thru a rapid test that I was Poz then got the results of the Western Blot 10 days later on the 30th. I almost feel like the more I say IT, think IT, type IT, ADMIT IT the pain of IT ALL will go away faster. 
Who knows???????????????? 

I got a call today with some of the results on my first set of labs.  I don't meet with my Dr. again till the 24th of Aug but If I qualified I was going 2 be part of a case study and the lady involved with that was actually the person who ran my labs. She was nice enough 2 by-pass the doc and let me know so I didn't have 2 wait 4 another month. 

cd4-538
She said my ratio was greater then one (she said that was good but I don't have a clue what she's talking about so any info would be greatly appreciated)
And she expects my viral load results back any day. When she lets me know I will add it 2 this thread 4 any who r interested

It just blows my mind that simply hearing 3 little numbers could have such an impact on me but I could literally feel a change in my body when I got the message.  Part of me wanted 2 cry from being happy, part of me wanted 2 cry from being scared about this whole thing and part of me said
"WATCH OUT 4 THAT CAR IN FRONT OF U JACK ASS!!!!!!!!"
"PAY ATTENTION 2 WHERE YOUR DRIVEING"    LOL

How I have made it back and forth 2 some of these appointments is baffling.  Lord knows most of the time I am in such a daze with so much on my mind that I'm off in my own little world.  Not a good place 2 be while driving a motor vehicle LOL and that's how I have been after getting my cd4's this morning. 

It's nice that when I am lost in my own little world of HIV that's trapped inside my mind and body, I can come here and know that at one time or another
U GUYS HAVE VISITED MY WORLD    :) :)
And
I LOVE U GUYS 4 IT

LOVE AND HUGZ
Jason

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: My first cd4 count
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:23:51 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:13:35 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:07:29 pm »
Jason  so far those are good numbers..think positive..many people have gone without meds for years when they continue to have good numbers..maybe you are one of them....what kind of study are you entering????

Wishing you the best from someone who has been infected for nearly 20 yrs.....using meds for the last 10..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:27:51 pm »
Jason,

So far so good! You are gonna be allright as long as your pay attention to your driving!

Keep us posted!

Love ya!

Hugs JAG
From TAG

Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 05:12:10 pm »
Okay, good, you have a normal immune system.  Three tests = a trend and it's the trend that counts (this is why docs are often so non-commital about things on initial consultations, at least in England)

- matt

Now playing: some Mary J remix
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline purplerain

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:23:33 pm »
Just looked up in the lessons about the ratio that she was talking about.  
Learn something new every day.....

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:47:27 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS JASON

that's a very decent CD4 count! ;D

KEEP US POSTED ON THE REST PLEASE

Peace,
Kelly

POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 06:41:58 pm »
I`ve got ONE cd4 more than you! :P
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 07:03:15 pm »
Jason...

Your a healthy young man boy!   Just keep chillin.... ;D

Love

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 07:51:40 pm »
Hello Jason,

Just going along with everyone here. You have a good CD-4 count. Let us know your other test results when you receive them.

Take Care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 09:46:34 pm »
Jason, your numbers are great. In 1989 I found out I was + and had cd4 of 350. I have never been sick from HIV. Make plans as if you will live a normal life span.
The pain will go away and so will the haze.

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:46:35 am »

well jason...

keep your eyes on the road as you're just starting out on long journey. 

you'll be fine.

robt

Offline nehusker4nu

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 07:58:25 pm »
Hi there, I wish my CD-4 was like yours. I found out that I was HIV+ at the end of February, 2006.  When my results came back my CD-4 was 54, and my viral load (VL) was greater than 850,000. It was so high that the machine could not distinguish the actual true  amount. My Dr. started me on Epzicom, Lexiva, and Norvir. I started these meds in March of 2006, since then my CD-4 is now as of June was now at 180, with my VL at 180. When I seen my physician a week ago he told me that I more than likely am now undetectable, but am not sure until I get my next tests done towards the end of this month.

I completely understand how you are feeling right now. I have been really depressed but at the same time as I see my numbers get better I'm trying to live life as I normally would have. I am a single father of a 12 year old child and I want to see here become an adult, so I am trying to remain optimistic about my disease. If you or anyone else out here would ever like to chat with me, I would love to do so....

Always and Forever  ::)
Rob

Offline Beatz4me

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 01:27:02 pm »
Jason,

I've known for a little over four months now, so I am ohhh-so familiar with that " little world of HIV that's trapped inside your mind and body".

For the first three months, not only did time move sooooo slowly, I took comfort in that numb world as it was my only safe place. I guess we do get used to anything.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have entered a new phase. I woke up a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to see a dear friend that I had missed for such a long time...Even though it was only a glimpse, that dear friend was the Old me..The one who never backed down from a challenge and looked forward to life's unexpected twists and turns. I had completely forgotten about Old me...while feeling too sorry for New me. I realized then and there that this had to stop. I was given a chance to live life to the max and that it could definitely be worse.

I am not saying that I am no longer down about it but I personally could not live every waking moment in total sadness and dispair.

hugz

Offline purplerain

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 04:29:22 pm »
Hey everybody....
Quick update.... got the results 4 my Viral Load. It is 15,838

so that's that.   
cd4-538
vl-15,838

Will go in and see my ID Dr. on the 24th  and get the rest of my labs.  So wish me luck  (no diabetes)

Hugz Jag

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 08:51:40 pm »
Jason,

I think you are doing great!   You will learn, in time, to be more at ease with your doctor visits.   It is no disgrace to take in a notepad and a pen, believe me I do it often.   My memory is so short, he will say something and I will understand it, but then later, get home and feel confused about it......so WRITE IT DOWN.

Get on with your life, you are a wonderful young man (and not too hard on the eyes either!)  ::)  I wish you the best of luck, and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Teresa

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 09:26:28 pm »
Jason,

Not too bad hon!

Love ya

HUGS JAG
FROM TAG
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline purplerain

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 12:06:29 am »
Thanks Alan.  One thing I did learn on here and put into practice when I met with my doc was writing down my questions.  Now if I can write myself a note 2 remind me that I have things written down I will be on my way LOL

HUGZ TAG Luv ya !!!!!
The den mother of our little family always making sure everyone Is OK...
U truly are a special gift.
FROM JAG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 03:22:57 am »
Jason! Congrats on the labs. One thing if I may suggest: DO NOT WRITE YOUR LIST FOR THE DR WHILE DRIVING!
Positive since 1985

Offline purplerain

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 03:40:17 am »
Point well taken Jeff  ;D

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 07:03:13 am »
You probably have a higher CD4 than your lookalike Robbie Williams.

Be wary of the odd rogue reading. I've been tested about 20 times and a couple of times the CD4 came back very low. I went from 350 to 126 once. Others here in London have had similar experiences. They even lost my VL readings twice. They put these errors down to badly calibrated equipment or even heat exposure to the blood samples. The % is perhaps the most important measure. I was down to 17% but now it's 35%. The range for a healthy person is apparently 30-50%. I asked why no one achieves 90-100%. It has something to do with the immune system fighting other nasties not just HIV.

A 15k VL seems quite low as many have them in the 100s of thousands. You might not need meds for years. It can depend on how long you have had it and your own DNA.

It just goes to show the merits of getting tested as early as possible in order to preserve your existing robust immune system through healthy lifestyle and perhaps meds later.

Good luck Aldous

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2006, 08:00:32 am »
Hi everyone!

I tested positive on June 10 2006
My lab results are kinda "unique" or unusual according to my doctor....
yea my doctor actually used the word "unique" and I nearly pee'd in my pants :P

My 1st lab (July 4 2006) results:
CD4 = 152
CD4% = 23%
VL = not available yet
ratio = 0.81

2nd lab (July 27 2006) results:
CD4 = 209
CD4% = 30%
VL = 15,000
ratio = 0.83

The normal ranges are:
CD4 500 - 1500
CD4% 32% - 68%
ratio 0.9 - 6.0

The 2 tests above were done by different labs
I know the CD4 count varies daily, but is it possible for the CD4% to vary (by 7%) in 13 days or is it just a fluke in the test results?
The ratio seems pretty constant (0.81 vs 0.83)

Tested -ve in 2001 and prior, so the longest I could have been +ve is 5 years
Is it normal to see such a drastic drop in CD4 count but yet retain almost normal CD4% and ratio(w/o meds)?  and also 15K VL seems quite low compared to most others with CD4 around 200
Does anyone have similar lab results too?

No prior OI (keeping fingers crossed!) and asymptomatic
Took Bactrim (icky) but stopped after 14 days due to a slight rash on body and arms
I am currently treatment naive and enrolled in a 48 weeks Kaletra clinical trial
Will begin my Kaletra/Truvada regime starting tomorrow morning
Wish me luck! :)

Am so NOT looking forward to the side-effects  :P

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 02:56:34 pm »
CD4 of 209 and 30% is a bit weird, but I got used to weird lab results years ago...

Having the test done by different labs could account for the difference. Different people, different assays, different mistakes....

Anyway, your viral load is weedy, which is good

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 09:26:15 am »
yea I was quite surprised to learn that my VL is 15,000, thought it would be much higher.
Now I'm hoping that the medication can quickly knock those pesky suckers down to undetectable level so that my CD4 count can improve.  The lab test CD4=152 & 209 scared the shit out of me, its hard enough to deal with finding out that you're +ve and then another bigger blow from the lab results a month later indicating an advance stage of the disease.
Is it true that starting medication with a low CD4 count and low VL will probably have a lower recovery CD4 gain compared to starting medication with a high CD4 and high VL?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.