Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:47:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 446
Total: 446

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: A Few Questions Regarding Testing and Lifestyle if Found to be Positive  (Read 5355 times)

Offline obodyboardo

I am a single 26yr old male in the military and am hesitant to get tested because my peers/co-workers are the ones who handle our medical records (my unit is very small, only about 300 ppl) and I want to avoid the embarassment/ridicule that would ensue if I tested positive.

We take blood tests annually, but shortly (about a month) after last years test I had unprotected vaginal sex (twice) with a female co-worker for over half an hour each time. I later found out that she had also had sex with at least 5 of my other co-workers prior to me, and since she let me go unprotected I'm guessing she had no objection letting the others do the same. She got out of the military about 6 months ago, and I have no way to contact her to ask her about her HIV status. I know I made a mistake, and am vowing to always use protection in the future.

I am concerned due to some symptoms I'm having, i.e. For the past 3-4 weeks, I have white coated tongue, mild chest pain from what I'm assuming could be esophageal candidiasis (thrush), I am very lethargic/tired, constant diarrhea, swollen lymph nodes in neck etc. I had a chest x-ray and upper gastro-intestinal barium test done to check on the chest pain, both came back with negative results for anything other than reflux. I am also getting out of the military within the next couple of months and will not have another mandatory blood test done while im still in the service. I would like to get tested anonymously here in the civilian sector, but this country where im stationed doesnt offer anonymous HIV testing to its citizens (let alone to someone who is not a citizen). Ok now with the questions.

1) My first question is about the Oraquick home testing kits available online. I saw the oral one and the blood sample one. Are these reliable enough to give me accurate results, or should I just wait a couple months to get tested once I am back in the USA? 

2) If I do wait to get tested, can waiting those couple of extra months have adverse effects on my health? I know the sooner you start meds to fight HIV the better.

3) I would think that the amount of time engaged in intercourse would affect the likelyhood of passing the virus. Is that true?

4) How long does it take someone after HIV infection to develop thrush?

5) If I do test positive I will never have sex with a non-infected girl again. How easy is it to meet other HIV infected people in order to salvage somewhat of a normal intimate relationship/sex life?

Thanks

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Obodyboardo,

OK, here we go.

1).  Be sure that the test you use is FDA approved for an accurate result.  If your test did not involve sending in a blood sample, it isn't FDA approved.

The name of the only approved home test I am aware of is "Home Access Express HIV-1 Test System" manufactured by Home Access Health Corporation.

2).  Waiting to test would not effect your health long term.

3).  Hiv is a very fragile virus that does not easily infect, especially from a woman to a man.  That said, time exposed could be, but is not necessarily, significant.

4).  Thrush is not one of the symptoms of primary hiv infection.  It can occur in individuals who have been (unknowingly) hiv positive for years and can be one of the initial signs that your immune system is significantly compromised.  That said, thrush can occur in anyone.  The point is that it is not indicative of primary infection.

5).  You can have a normal sex life with negative or positive people with a few simple precautions.  No kidding.  And there are many avenues to meet other positive people should you ultimately become so yourself.  But that's getting WAY ahead of yourself.

Because the military routinely screens for hiv,  the odds of you having been exposed are not high.

Get a test 13 weeks post exposure.  Nothing you describe in the way of symptoms is indicative of primary hiv infection.  Really.  I would fully expect a negative result. 

Regards,

Morgan

edited for content
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:40:55 am by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline RapidRod

Thrush is not a specific sign of HIV infection or a suppressed immune system. Anyone for a number of reasons can get thrush.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
obody,

Morgan mainly gave you sound advice, with the exception of two points, one of which Rodney covered.

The other one is response number 3. It IS true that hiv is a difficult virus to transmit and more so from a woman to a man. However, time exposed is not necessarily significant. If you have actually been exposed to hiv, it doesn't really matter much if that exposure lasted five minutes or five hours. A shorter exposure time might lessen the risk, but you can also become infected from a short exposure. On the other hand, you can also be exposed many times and not become infected. Unprotected intercourse is a game of roulette - one that has very high stakes. Be smart - don't gamble with your health again.

You absolutely need to use condoms for intercourse, every time, no matter how long the intercourse lasts, no exceptions. You cannot go by what you think you know about a person's sexual history, how healthy they look, or what they think they know about their hiv status.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline obodyboardo

Thank you everybody. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

Ive read some of the other threads here in the forums and wow, Morgan, Ann and a few others are really providing some invaluable information/advice. It is definitely appreciated.

I think im going to steer clear of the home test and just wait to have blood drawn at the clinic back home. I'll be sure to post my results here in a few months. Thanks again.

Offline livingpositively

obody,

I will not attempt to add to the advice you have already been given.  My offering is this...

I would, if I were you try to test while you are still active duty.  Are you going to take any kind of terminal leave or permissive TDY?  You are still active duty, I'm sure you know, during terminal leave.  If you test during that time, you would be covered better, should the need arise.  That, of course, is worst case scenario.  I am not trying to scare, but I think it wise to plan for a what if situation if possible.

That said, again, I am NOT trying to add to or take away from what the others have already said.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Obody,

I wasn't clear in my above post regarding thrush.  A lot of people come to this forum complaining of symptoms of thrush and relate it to primary hiv infection.  They look in the mirror, see a white tongue, and say "this is thrush, I have been infected with hiv".   I was trying to point out that thrush can be, and has been, one of many ailments that alert some who have unknowingly been infected for many years to the fact that something is wrong.

What I neglected  to add was that thrush can appear in anyone and, in and of itself, does not necessarily point to a compromised immune system.

The distinction I was trying to make was that its significance as an hiv symptom is not at primary infection.  And I left the impression that it points to a compromised immune system in any who have it.  This is not the case.

As thrush is frequestly an issue in this forum, I felt I should follow up my last post.

Just wanted to clear this up.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.