Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 642
Total: 643

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Girlfriend just told me she has HIV. Our future?  (Read 21341 times)

Offline BloomK

Girlfriend just told me she has HIV. Our future?
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »
First of all I need to say that me and my girlfriend are "Mormon" and we have never had sex and wont until we get married. so there is no danger of me being infected. My question is a bit deeper. She had such a hard time telling me and I'll admit I was a bit shocked and didn't know what to say. she told me yeast day that she is HIV infected but she says her viral load or whatever is 0. I am really sad because I really love her and even if I stay with her I am deeply afraid of having to watch her get sick and die. I realize that with current mess that this is not not going to happen any time soon, but I can't help but be afraid.

I also am the type of guy that does NOT like the idea of using condoms all the time if we get married. It (to me) spoils the intimacy.

I also wonder about this... If I decide to marry her I know I will end up just saying "i love you and if I get nfected then it is something else we will share". I a pretty hopeless romantic. So basically, I wonder what the odds of infection is over a long period of time. If we are married of many many years and always have unprotected sex, I assume I have a really good (more than  50%) chance even if her viral load is 0?

And if I do get infected I am 36 years old, how does the infection change due to my age?

I don't know what to do here... I love her to death and I know this is not her fault. It hurts me to think about what she must have gone thru in her life because of this and I don't want to add to her pain.. She is a beautiful (actually stunningly so) girl inside and out and a total sweetheart. please help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Girlfriend just told me she has HIV. Our future?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:09:47 pm »
Bloom,

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I've moved your thread to the Someone I Care About forum as it is the more appropriate place for your concerns.

With her undetectable viral load, it is highly unlikely you'd become infected from vaginal intercourse. It's a difficult virus to transmit from a woman to a man anyway. And that, by the way, is the only way you'd become infected - through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You would ultimately have to decide for yourself how much level of risk you're willing to take, but keep in mind that poz/neg couples are having children these days the "old fashioned way" when the woman is poz - and the baby and man remain hiv negative.

I could go on, but unfortunately I'm in a rush right now. A good place for you to start learning about hiv is in our Lessons section.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:14 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your girlfriend and what you're dealing with as well.  If she remains undetectable, the chances of transmitting the virus is vanishingly low.  But, not non-existent.  And, it's more difficult for a woman to transmit the virus.  But, concurrent STD infections raise the risk.  But, since you're a virgin and plan to be monogamous, that won't be an issue.   

So, it will really be you and your gf's decision whether you accept the small risk and whether you wouldn't blame her, if by chance, you did become poz.  Many docs will tell you to use protection regardless.  After all, that is the best way, besides abstinence, to prevent infection.  But, I am seeing more and more giving the green light for bareback WHEN you are in a monogamous relationship and have demonstrated UD viral loads for a long time.

All the best and very admirable you're sticking with her and didn't jet at first news.

Offline BloomK

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:07:36 am »
I am a bit of an intellectual so I understood alot about HIV before she told me. But I love her and I'm not perfect either. I don't think I will leave her because of this but what are the odds of me getting it if we "go bare back" for many many years? And it seems thru my research that even if I do get it I probably won't die from it anyway..

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:10:02 am »
Sorry for the somewhat critical note.  But if you love an entire person and want to make a life with her, where is the problem about wearing a condom? 

Gee, the risk would be small going condomless.  Very small indeed. But NOBODY is ever going to tell you there is not risk. So Gee, you're worrying all about that.  But Gee, you couldn't possibly make a small compromise with yourself, and put up with the little disadvantage of wearing a condom, so you don't have to worry at all?  The way you express yourself, the condom seems to be a "deal-breaker".

It sounds to me like you are so "intellectual" you are jumping through hoops of "what ifs" "risks assessments" rather than just wrapping up. Simple solution to all your anxieties.  If she's so great and you love her so much, just deal with a condom until you have the time to really learn about HIV and get used to the fact that your beloved is HIV+. 

You might be projecting a FAIR AMOUNT of fear and ignorance about HIV the disease, and being with an HIV+ person, onto this whole small issue of condoms, in my opinion.   This is evident with these questions and fears like not wanting to watch her get sick and die.  Jeez...

Anyway, marriage or partnerships, you create them because of all the attractive things.  And then you deal with the warts.  Who's to say it won't be you getting sick or going crazy or becoming handicapped.  Then she'll be stuck watching you suffer.

This is not the way to see things going into a long-term partnership.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Lovewell79

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:52:40 am »
mecch,

I couldn't have said it better!!  Thank you my friend!  I just started seeing someone right before I found out I was HIV+.  Became best friends, fell in love, protected and unprotected sex, struggled with being in a committed relationship.  Even took him to the doctor with me.  I'm undetectable, healthy, and even took him to get tested TWICE.  He's Negative.  It still scares him, so we remain best friends.  I gave up on being in a romantic relationship and needed to let it go.  I understand it but on the same level, after all the education (even taking him to the doctor with me) it's still an issue.  Love him to pieces but need to just remain friends.

BloomK

If she is undetectable, the chances of you getting infected are slim to none.  You have two things going in your favor right now.  One...she's undetectable.  Two...she's a girl.  It's much harder for a man to contract it from a girl.  I've struggled with the issue myself of condom no condom with my partner who has to remain my best friend.  What really is love?  Yes, condoms suck..they don't feel the same, skin on skin, etc.  What really matters if you TRULY love her??  I'm currently in your shoes...I'm just the girl :)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »
Hi Bloomk,

Gee, the risk would be small going condomless.  Very small indeed. But NOBODY is ever going to tell you there is not risk.

^^ This is at the crux of it.

Also, there's something called PrEP which involves taking a pill (Truvada I think) a day, which will add another layer of protection against infection for you (the neg partner), if you're totally against condoms. 

Perhaps someone else who knows more about PrEP will chime in.

Best
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline BloomK

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »
Yea, I guess it's better to try to not risk it.. Cause I think even if I am ok with the risk, if I get infected then the guilt of it for her will probably be worse than I would want. I guess by protecting myself a reasonable amount I am protecting her as well..

Offline Blue75

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:41 pm »
Hi Bloom,

When my husband of 15 years found out he was HIV+ a few months ago, I went off birth control and bought a bunch of condoms!

I hate condoms and so does he.  But when I said we don't have to use them every time, AFTER he becomes undetectable, he was like, "there's no F...ing way!"

He is amazed, grateful, and very happy that I am negative and he's going to damn well make sure that I stay that way!!

So, wrap it, buy some good lubrication, and LOVE her no matter what!
Husband:
2/14/12 Tested HIV+
3/16/12: CD4-216, VL-56,500
5/4/12: Started Atripla
5/7/12: CD4-184, VL-12,000 (Taken off Atripla after 3 days, awaiting liver testing) Started antibiotics.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
I always feel that women have a harder problem with condoms than men. Just an opinion I have based on what my girl friends say.

As a guy I'm used to condoms and I do not think they hinder sex that much as long as you do it right. Stopping a hot steamy moment for a "Wait, let me see where I put my condoms"..."Damn it, can't find them"..."Damm it, these things are hard to open!" moment is a turnoff, that's for sure.

So whenever I'm about to do it I always leave them close by and sometimes I even tear the package a little bit prior to it, just to be on the safe side  ;D

Offline mpositive

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:08 pm »
You might want to see if you can get that test for the CCr5 mutation.  You may be immune to her HIV altogether...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:52:09 pm »
You might want to see if you can get that test for the CCr5 mutation.  You may be immune to her HIV altogether...

Um, that mutation might provide resistance to infection, but it does not make a person immune.

To the OP, why do you need to chart the full course of your relationship right away? Newer, better therapies are being developed all the time. There's even a med in the pipeline that will allow a person with an undetectable viral load to have an infusion every two weeks or so and not have to take pills every day.

Couples trying to have children go without condoms all the time. If you level of understanding regarding HIV is rather low at this moment, then just wear a condom while you familiarize yourself. The learning curve is steep, but true love wears reading glasses.

Maybe in a year, two, three, less, more, you will mutually decide to take the nearly non-existent risk and forego condoms. Who knows where your head will be at six months from now?

As for her health, there is no reason why your girlfriend will not do what many women do when married to men in this society; outlive you. I sincerely with the two of you the very best :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.