Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:44:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 359
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: latest in cosmetic lipo treatment  (Read 11572 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
latest in cosmetic lipo treatment
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:20:55 am »
My doctor called me and asked if I would meet with one of his patients to discuss my PMMA experience. I'm not up on the latest in cosmetic lipo treatment. Anyone have any recent infor on what are the latest FDA approved treatments in the US? Anyone familiar with Aquamid?

Offline veritas

Re: latest in cosmetic lipo treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:41:58 am »

GSO,

Here's a link of things to consider before making a decision to correct lipoatrophy:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2005/10.9/2.html

Here's a link on Aquamid:

http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_aquamid_lipoatrophy_761_16527.shtml

Although this has been used for a long time in Europe, problems could develop and being a permanent filler the problems could be difficult to correct in some cases. I would be cautious before using this, because I don't believe there are any tests to determine if a patient will have a problem (IMHO).

I read about your success with PMMA. That worked out wonderfully for you. Artefil, which is PMMA that was approved here, has a reaction test that can be given to the patient before use:

http://www.artefill.com/

Hope this helps,

v

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:24:28 am »
I am in the 4th year of a study on fillers, it will conclude next year.the item is Sculptra.   I do it because it is free but wouldn't pay for it.. doesn't hold up over time.... my Dr, has been "training" with the  Aquamid and thinks it is one of the best of the perm fillers.   he has hundreds of case histories with very little negative result.   He offers a wide variety of  fillers depending on what / where you want filled.  seems to think that once officially approved this one will dominate for many procedures.   

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:17 pm »
Thanks V. and Nick for the info and the links. I met with this guy and he is a LTS who has what looks to me like moderate-severe facial lipo. He doesn't know anything about lipo so I am trying to give him a jumping off point so he can do his own research and make a decision. Fortunately for him he appears to have the financial resources to have any kind of procedure he wants.

Greensboro may technically be a city but it is such a small town. Apparently word got out that we were having lunch and a rumor started that I had left my partner and was hooking up with this guy for sex.

Incidentally he used an expression that I had not heard in years: "Mother said..." as in "Mother said he was trouble." I'm not sure if that is just a Southern gay expression or not but it put a smile on my face hearing it again.

Offline alejandrolopez

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »
I saw your message and I am interested on how to go about get the fillers, how do you get them for free and who do I contact?

Do I need some Kind of insurance? please let me know.

I just registered today and I happened to run into this site I will apreaciate it if you reply.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:59:00 pm »
According to Nelson Vergel, who knows a whole lot about these things, Aquamid is very similar to Bioalcamid. IOW, not recommended.

Offline TNEW

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:31 pm »
Hello,

I am new to this forum.  I just had a round of sculptra treaments and have mixed feelings about the results.  I definitely look less guant, but in some areas I look overweight (along my jaw line).   I know some of you have been involved in sculptra studies.  Can you tell me how long the effects last on average.  I'm waiting for my  current results to dissolve and will be more specific about placement next time.

Thanks!

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:30:16 am »
I had just one treatment and that was sufficient.  However, the doc seemed intent on eliminating some really small laugh lines.  In the process he overinflated the area around the laugh lines and below it, down to my jaw line.  The treatment is now just about completely faded.  It's been 3.5 years, so I did really well, but for the last year, I had a small bit of a jowl.  Nice to see that's gone... what's left in due to age. 

It actually took over a year for the original overfill to look passable to me.

I'm thinking now about getting silicone.  I had some injected in the temples and am now considering a bit in the cheeks.  Because the amount injected per treatment is much less than Sculptra, it should be easier to know when to stop.. and I plan to space out the treatments at 3 months apart.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:38 am »

I'm thinking now about getting silicone.  I had some injected in the temples and am now considering a bit in the cheeks.  Because the amount injected per treatment is much less than Sculptra, it should be easier to know when to stop.. and I plan to space out the treatments at 3 months apart.

The silicone micro droplets sounds good but it's very important that they use the purified silicone (I think it's called SilSkin) and that the doctor have lots of experience and great technique.

I know there are a couple of good doctors in LA and NYC who have done this procedure a lot and know what they're doing but I wonder how one can find a good doctor for this elsewhere. Maybe it's worth the trip to LA or NYC but since it would likely take several treatments spaced out 3 months apart the traveling could make it so much more expensive.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:24 am »
Yes, I'm in LA and am using Dr Abrams.  He's been doing the procedure for years and I've seen his work, which was completely natural looking.

There was another poster that had silicone done in Tennessee, I believe.  Subject was something like ..."Good old fashioned silicone..." You might search around for the post.  He seemed to be quite satisfied.

In Atlanta, Dr. Brody is also very skilled (I've heard) in using silicone.  Dr. Abrams seemed to know of Dr. Brody.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.