Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:03:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 137
Total: 137

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do I need to lie on the insurance form?  (Read 5086 times)

Offline Common_ground

Do I need to lie on the insurance form?
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
So at work we have insurance and we are also required to fill out a form. The form from the insurance company asks about HIV status and at the bottom it says:

"...acknowledge the record of my treatment and health status from the physician, hospital or other organization who has my health record include the fact of blood test result for virus HIV."

And this we are supposed to sign. I am not out with being + at work, if known I estimate my chances of being laid off in the near future at about 70% according to statistics from surveys previously done here. So to me I have these options:

1. Fill out the form untruthfully to keep HIV a secret.
2. Fill out the form truthfully.
3. Deny the insurance.

The thing is that with #1 I am afraid that I am giving my consent to open up medical history to a third part, I dont know if the insurance company can check with hospitals what records I have with them, and thus I will be denied coverage, exposed and then supposedly laid off. If I would go with this option then I wouldnt use the insurance for anything HIV related or at the hospital where I get my treatment.

In #2 Im risking to end up like above but just faster.

And finally then the last option which would seem weird to the employer but it might work to keep my job.

Let me remind you that Im in a developing country and there are laws that should protect me but the civil government is weak thus enforcement is not working properly to uphold rules and regulations.

Any help appreciated.   
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline emeraldize

Re: Do I need to lie on the insurance form?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:52:57 pm »
In which developing country do you live? I know you want to keep your info close to the vest, but if there are forum members in this forum from your country who've encountered this they might share their decisions/stories with you.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:06 am »
In which developing country do you live? I know you want to keep your info close to the vest, but if there are forum members in this forum from your country who've encountered this they might share their decisions/stories with you.
Em,
His profile states he is from Kunming.
I am guessing that it is China.

Common,
I wish I could help.
I feel for you with this dilemma and hope someone here will be able to come up with an answer.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:05:52 am »
Geez what a difficult situation.

I have no idea but just reading YOUR logic, from my outsider perspective No 3 seems the best strategy.  Do you financially need the insurance? If not, No 3, again, makes sense.
Is it plausible if you do no 3, and someone raises an eyebrow, that you could say you have "other" insurance that you are content with?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:43:43 am »
Hi again!
I am in Thailand and the work would be here as well.

I have tried to find some info from the locals, but its very hit n miss.

Some Thai acquaintances have filled out these forms as they werent + but still knew and it worked. I also know of one whom just denied the whole thing because she was being scared to know if she was sick, used that as an excuse, and got out of the whole initial medical and the insurance. :o

However in this case we would not have a medical check up for this insurance, just filling out the form.

But its extremely complex, so many variables I cant control....

Its really giving me a headache....

You might be on to something there Meech. I could maybe come up with a reason to deny the coverage.

Here it is considered malpractice to test for HIV in any case, unless its voluntarily and results are kept confidential. It is against the law to dismiss or deny employment someone for being +. So they would have NO ground to do so, but in reality IF the company would find out, there is a high chance that someone would find an excuse, unrelated to HIV, to let me go, just because of the uncomfortable feeling of someone being + at the workplace.
2011 May - Neg.

Offline scotty54

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:04 pm »
Hi Common
I would agree with mecch's reasoning.  Not knowing your locale/workplace, I would have to hesitate about the best option.  Is there any local HIV counselor that you could speak with?  One that would insure discretion?

Keep us posted....and hope it all works out.  :)
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:56 am »
Hi again
Looks like it worked out after all.
Somehow we got the wrong forms(!), we were supposed to get group insurance but there had been a mix up and we were given the forms for individual cover. So now its basically just our names needed ;D
For those who run into similar problems I would recommend to contact www.tbca.or.th - Thailand Business Coalition On AIDS
An ASO especially dedicated to HIV/AIDS and the workplace. HQ is in Bangkok but they have branches in Chaing Mai, Ranong and Rayong as well.
2011 May - Neg.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 05:57:14 pm »
bravo too cool!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.