Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:34:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 498
Total: 500

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doggy Dental Hygiene  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Dachshund

Doggy Dental Hygiene
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:48:53 pm »

So this morning I'm brushing Sam's (my dog) teeth and I thought to myself......self, you are an old queen. I spent over an hour at the pet super-store deciding which brand of doggy toothpaste to purchase. The biggest decision I made today....fluoride or non-fluoride. Hell, I don't give that much thought to my meds.

I buy him organic dog food that costs more than my food. I worry about his diet more than my own...hell, I had cold Papa John's for breakfast. Sam had a scrambled organic egg mixed into his billion dollar kibble.

My question: Am I alone in my pet devotion and freakishness? Please share your stories....so I don't feel quite the loser.

Got to go, Sam needs a soothing milk-bath.

Hal ::)

Offline RapidRod

Re: Doggy Dental Hygiene
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:36:23 pm »
I plead the fifth and I have two.  :D

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 02:36:37 pm »
Hal,

Your not alone in your devotion to Sam. I was just as devoted to Oscar . Oscar died because the vet gave him too much anesthesia when he had his teeth cleaned back in Febuary.  I fed him expensive prescription dog food because he had a sensative stomach. That food cost almost 50.00 a month. His teeth cleaning averaged 100.00 every six months, grooming was 50.00 every 6 weeks. Not to mention the money I spent having him trained, & all the toys I purchased for him. He had more toys than some kids  I know. Also I spent money on clothes for him. I once bought a pair of Muck-A-Luck dog shoes to wear during incliment weather (75.00), an all weather multi layered dog coat (80.00)  & I bought him an expensive harness that wouldn't matt his chest hair when I walked him.Your not a looser, stop thinking that you are. You love that sweet little dog and he is there for you to shower love & affection on him. He gives you alot back too. I miss my baby, and hopefully sometime in August I will have a new one to spend $ and time with.

Give my puppy nephew a big kiss from his Uncle Dan

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:32:21 pm »
Uncle Dan, Im sorry about Oscar.  I would sue that vet!

And, Hal, I love my doggie more than you know and I spend so much on quality food and toys for him.  He is my child and is turning in to one hell of a watch dog!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 07:58:03 pm »
Holy cow Dachshund, if doing all that for your dog makes you a big queen, then sign me up too! I do ALL of that for my dog!

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline bluelove

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 09:15:46 pm »
Naw your not the only one.Have a dog too she has more clothes,toys and bath/grooming products than me.

You know something is wrong when your dog has 5 count 5 raincoats and you have none.

And yes she tends to eat better than me.

She turns her nose up at doughnuts what kind of cop dog is that? LOL

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:56:36 am »
I am right there with you...I have four rescues. I used to make their food, but now they eat the million dollar kibble also. Then there is the ritzy kennel, the chew toys, homemade treats....the good life!!
Christine

[attachment deleted by admin]
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:51 am »
I am right there with you...I have four rescues. I used to make their food, but now they eat the million dollar kibble also. Then there is the ritzy kennel, the chew toys, homemade treats....the good life!!
Christine

What a great mommy! All dogs go to heaven....and so will you!

Dogs rule!
Hal&Sam :-*

Offline bluelove

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:29 pm »
I just realized the names of who posted this.

This is scary.

My best friends name is Sam and her dog a black lab puppy is Hal.

What are the odds? Going to buy my lottery ticket now.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 10:35:43 am »
Sweetie gets in the bath, and/or shower with me. She loves the warm water, but I can't let her do it very much, it's not good for ferrets to be bathed too frequently.
I know I've told this before but......Every morning between 10A & 11A, she comes and finds me, and prostrates herself in her own little "aren't I adorable" kind of way. This is her little signal that it is time  for her yummie-yums.
I found out a long time ago that she gets totally turned on by the gravy in those Banquet Crock Pot Classics   .....chicken and  dumplings. The only twist to the game is that she can't and WON"T deal with anything remotely resembling a lump. Obviously, I can't eat that stuff every day, so I have found a perfect substitute....Campbell's chicken&dumplings, or turkey pot pie 'chunky soups'. I cook it, then throw it in the blender, so it is smoothe. She gets a large teaspoon in her special bowl, and I nuke it for exactly 13chimpanzees..........which I count out loud, so she can go wait for me by the couch.(which she does faithfully)
  I always feed her  the yummie-yums in a special place, because we always cuddle, after she is finished.  That is just our one special time each day.
  My daughter is the designated yummy provider, while I'm away(which is never).
   Some time ago, I found these little boxes of "Cat Sips" that are found in the pet food isle, and is milk that has had much of the lactase removed, so it won't cause the cat/ferret diarrhea. She gets a bedtime snack of "milk" when its time for beddie-bye.

See Hal?  You're not alone in your fanatical pet devotion. ;)

No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 10:42:02 am »

That's what I'm talking about! If I come back as a ferret in my next life....Lisa, will you be my mom?

XXXOOO
Hal&Sam :-*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 11:36:14 am by Dachshund »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »
I got this in the mail today! Twenty dollars for twenty .39 cent stamps. Of course I'll never use them.

Hal&Sam ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 01:25:08 pm by Dachshund »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.