Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:23:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mediterranean, anyone?  (Read 35111 times)

Offline MarcoPoz

Re: Mediterranean, anyone?
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2008, 12:58:14 pm »
Are there no farmers' markets there?  Sorry, Detroit is not a place that I'm all familiar with but the produce here is first class, and mostly organic but semi-OK prices, and the choices are outstanding.  Plus I enjoy the camaraderie with the sellers, many coming in from Lancaster County (Amish)  Of course the growing season in short in Detroid I'd think

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/

http://www.freshfarmsmarket.com/

http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/M180

I'm a supporter of Eastern market and go there at least twice per month--it's a great place.  I grew up on a farm here in Michigan and we sold produce there.  The issue with farmers markets is that they are typically only open one day per week.  Like I said, I'm lucky--I have a job and a car.  Our fresh-food desert mainly impacts people with transportation and economic challenges who find it hard to get out of the city for shopping or can't make it to the farmers markets.

We are starting to have a THRIVING Urban Gardening movement here, that I think has increased the distribution of fresh food for urban residents.  Also, many of our food donation programs now use items produced from these gardens.  That being said, we still have a long way to go.

For Christmas this year we're having pasta sauce with peppers from the canned tomatoes and peppers that came from my garden--YUM!

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:02 am »
Here's an interesting article about urban areas and the availability of fresh food:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081218/ap_on_re_us/diet_disparity

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 12:15:45 am »
I've lived in urban areas spanning 20 years (NYC and Philadelphia, totaling 7 different neighborhoods)  -- never had an issue obtaining fresh vegetables, and I've not owned a car in that entire time and took public transportation.  And no, these haven't been in posh areas.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 09:34:56 am »
I've lived in urban areas spanning 20 years (NYC and Philadelphia, totaling 7 different neighborhoods)  -- never had an issue obtaining fresh vegetables, and I've not owned a car in that entire time and took public transportation.  And no, these haven't been in posh areas.

Good for you!!  I wish you continued good fortune!

Offline weasel

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:36 pm »
GREAT NEW RECIPE !

Baked Cauliflower !

I buy florets , put  them   in oven proof deep dish .

In your "MAGIC BULLET "   Pulverize 4 or 5 cloves of fresh garlic
                                                               With a quarter cup of EVOO

DRIZZEL this over the cauliflower and BAKE at 350 degrees
                         for one HALF hour !

This is SO good , you will love it !

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:42 am »
GREAT NEW RECIPE !

Baked Cauliflower !

I buy florets , put  them   in oven proof deep dish .

In your "MAGIC BULLET "   Pulverize 4 or 5 cloves of fresh garlic
                                                               With a quarter cup of EVOO

DRIZZEL this over the cauliflower and BAKE at 350 degrees
                         for one HALF hour !

This is SO good , you will love it !

Weasel

Sounds delightful to me. For me, garlic is a food group

Thanks for the recipe.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 03:20:53 am »
I should send you my 40 garlic roasted chicken recipe.

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2009, 06:04:03 am »
Okay, this thread has made me hungry. :(

Offline weasel

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 08:18:57 pm »
40 gloves of garlic chicken recipe please , Miss Phillisia  :-*
" Live and let Live "

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 01:51:52 am »
Try this quick recipe:

4 chicken chest slides (without their bones, you can buy it like that or ask the butcher to prepare it for you).

In a poele just put 4 pieces of garlic, cutted not too tiny, one laurel tree leaf, some marine salt (the less, the best), some powdered ginger, and cut in slides also a couple of little french onions (te rounded sweet little ones). Add 2 spoons of olive oil, and let it get some fire slowly. When oinion is becoming goldish, add the chicken chest fillets and add half a coffe cup (half a mug, let's say) of grape natural juice ("mosto"), white or red is ok, and let it make slowly. Take care because the "mosto" gets consumed quickly and tends to get sticky. To avoid it, add very little quantities of water from time to time until you see the chicken meat is already done, with no reddish parts. Once this gets at that point, turn off the fire and let it finish with the remaining heat.

The result is a smooth and some like sweet sauce. You can also add almonds or chestnuts in the last few minutes of cooking.

You can eat it with some slided tomato salad with rosmarine and/or thym, Modena vinegar and a little of corn or sesame oil. Another option is to cut in fine slides some mushrooms (champignons de Paris), without cooking them. Just simply put them on a plate and add some lemon juice and marine salt. They're delicious just like that and the contrast with the sweetness of the chicken sauce is great.

And, for dessert, grenades, kiwis and strawberrys, in a big cup, no sugar added... but you can add, instead, some drops of your favourite fruit liquor, like anissette, cherry or similar, brandy or bourbon also fits, but too, too little qtties.

Could be a nice plan for a lover's day dinner...  ::)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline aztecan

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 07:21:49 pm »
Oh my, that does sound good. Thank you Alberche.

I will give it a try,

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 08:14:20 pm »
Does Marcia know how to de-bone a chicken breast?

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 01:14:58 pm »
Does Marcia know how to de-bone a chicken breast?

Well, that got me to thinking that I have never deboned a chicken breast. I have always bought them already boneless as I really don't like touching the raw chicken meat....it's a texture thing.

Everything is so ...raw, and slick and greasy.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYQLlPJ8vjc&feature=related
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »
They're really not difficult to de-bone.  I can do it in about 10 seconds per breast, all manually with my hands save for a quick trim after that on one part with a paring knife.

When I was in college I was invited to some wealthy older queen's house for a dinner party, and he was very behind in the preparation.  I offered to help so he showed me how to de-bone, and as I had to do about 15 of them I got so much practice that I've maintained this skill ever since then.

And, of course, this all saves you money at the grocery store.  I forget how much they tack on per pound for this simple feat.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 01:32:35 pm »
I pay @ $14.00 for a pack of 10.

If deboning, I have always stuffed a whole chicken in a pot and after cooking, pulled the meat off. Of course, it changes the flavor, as Katie is forever telling me, as she loves it grilled. Add fajita seasoning and she will do anything you ask.... ::)  I have never known anyone to love fajita seasoning as much as she does.

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »
I pay @ $14.00 for a pack of 10.

If deboning, I have always stuffed a whole chicken in a pot and after cooking, pulled the meat off. Of course, it changes the flavor, as Katie is forever telling me, as she loves it grilled. Add fajita seasoning and she will do anything you ask.... ::)  I have never known anyone to love fajita seasoning as much as she does.

I just got 10 frozen invidually sealed breasts for $6.98!!!  :D  I love a bargin ... am I turning into my mother?!  >:(
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 04:49:51 pm »
I'm *really* not big on freezing uncooked meat.  It changes the texture once cooked.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 05:32:39 pm »
I'm sure it does change the texture ... but I usually put my chicken in the food processor to grind it up before I put it in dishes.  :D

It's hold-over from when everything had to be super fine or it would get stuck in my esophagus.   >:(
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 11:39:42 am »
Chicken...in Holland I am always very careful to eat chicken because of the way they breed the poor animals here. We have chicken factories where thousands and thousands of chickens are being bred, and treated with anti-biotics to prevent illnesses. Recently a television show tested chicken in supermarkets for bacterias and found campylobacter and MRSA! So I only eat bio-chicken from the health store, which is incredibly expensive. So chicken is rare on my menu.

Coen

[attachment deleted by admin]
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline rondrond

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:08 pm »
They're really not difficult to de-bone.  I can do it in about 10 seconds per breast, all manually with my hands save for a quick trim after that on one part with a paring knife.

When I was in college I was invited to some wealthy older queen's house for a dinner party, and he was very behind in the preparation.  I offered to help so he showed me how to de-bone, and as I had to do about 15 of them I got so much practice that I've maintained this skill ever since then.

And, of course, this all saves you money at the grocery store.  I forget how much they tack on per pound for this simple feat.

OK...I deboned and skinned a pack of chicken breats. It really didn't take very long at all.

New problem...what do you do with the remains until trash day?  HOO-whee...what a smell...

I wonder...will it harm the stray cats?

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »
Coen,

I wouldn't eat chicken either.  :o

So, what is the main fare in Holland?

Ron~

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
Ron
If you have the time and the inclination......what you do with the remains from de-boning chicken is make a soup stock....just throw it all together in a pot of water with some onion, celery and carrot and spices that you like........cook it for awhile, then chill it either in refrig or in a cold place( i use the grill outside in the winter to put this in)........when its cold skim the congealed fat off....then strain it into a container and either freeze it or make a soup. Toss out the stuff you strained out unless there are some good bits of meat...these you return to the stoick or whatever
In any case if you cook the remains from de-boning...THEN it dont smell so bad...and is safer to give the cats.
We use chicken stock to cook rice in.

Bon Apetit

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline rondrond

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:52 pm »
Joel,

that sounds wonderful. I have all these empty coffee cans....(leftover habit from Gmom..never, throw anything away)...

I'll have to do it next time though as today was trash day...

thanks
Ron~

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline elf

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2009, 08:17:39 am »
I love Mediterranean food, except for pizza and cheese.
An average pizza has 2000 calories, and 100g of fat, so watch out.
Cheese is full of fat and cholesterol except for the fatfree 1% cottage cheese which is ok.

I love fatty fish like sardines, because it's healthy fat (omega3 fatty acids), nuts like
walnuts are welcome to.  :)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:36 am »
I love Mediterranean food, except for pizza and cheese.
An average pizza has 2000 calories, and 100g of fat, so watch out.
Cheese is full of fat and cholesterol except for the fatfree 1% cottage cheese which is ok.

I love fatty fish like sardines, because it's healthy fat (omega3 fatty acids), nuts like
walnuts are welcome to.  :)

elf, this forum is for long term survivors and you really shouldn't post here.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:11 am »
Not any more Hal.

I love cheese myself, but I don't eat it often. At this point, I don't eat much of anything too often.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline weasel

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »
Dinner tonight was delightful !

Bob cooked my Mother's recipe for " oregano Chicken "  very good !

Simple to prepare :

Bob  put two  chicken Breasts  and several Red potaoes , cut  into forths ,
                           Not peeled . you can peel .
                            In a roaster pan , Drizzeled  EVOO , 1/4 cup ? ,   and made sure it all was
                           nicely covered with the olive oil .
                           A sprinkle of salt pepper  and LOTS  of oregano !

Bake this at  350 degrees  for an hour or more .

I like crispy skin and nicely browned potatoes , keep an eye on it .
                          poke a potato ,if it looks good to you it is done .

It is fabulously wonderful !

I had a nice bowl of cottage cheese with red grapes for dessert  :)

eat well ,
                                                                       Carl

ps I had my red wine before dinner .....
" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2009, 10:46:05 pm »
dinner may 6th

Bob made  a wonderful dinner   of :  butter beans and ham ,(no sugar )

Corn bread ( martha White )  , no sugar , bacon grease !  YUMYUM .

Bob made the beans and ham with a BAG of  dried beans and ham

It boiled for a few hours .

I made the corn Bread , Just left out the sugar .
   I spread lots of butter on it . YUM

Carl

Ps   chime in with a recipe  :)
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.