Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gay DJ put on house arrest for second HIV violation  (Read 58379 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Gay DJ put on house arrest for second HIV violation
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 02:40:18 pm »

To some, spitting is attempted murder. 

Actually since we are getting off topic now, spitting on someone is simple assault whether pos or not and you can be thrown in the slammer for doing so.  If you don't believe me google Larry Johnson.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 02:42:57 pm »

Assuming you do not die, if you slice your own throat you will be determined to be a threat to yourself, and placed in at least a 72 hour observation in a mental health facility. There are ramifications for self-destructive behavior.

Also, equating unprotected sex with slicing comeone's throat was inaccurate in 2000. In 2008, it is an overstatement beyond the pale.

A) not every act of unprotected sex results in seroconversion.

B) with current standards of care, HIV is no longer nearly the same disease that it was twelve years ago.

C) what, exactly, determines "unprotected sex" varies from location to location, often from judge to judge. To some, spitting is attempted murder. Others include kissing. To others, insertive oral sex or cunnilingus is considered a threat.

Until/unless the legal system establishes a science-based standard by which to judge these indiscretions, I will ALWAYS be against the criminalization of HIV. Particularly when seroconversion does not occur.

Since we cannot even find that science-based playing field on these very forums, I doubt seriosuly that the legal system will succeed.

In consensual sex, seroconversion is a shared responsibility. And I have yet to see any case reports or evidence to sway my opinion on that regard.

If there are ramifications for the non-disclosing positive person, even in the absence of infection, then there should be similar ramifications for a negative person who puts him/herself, and tangentially, his/her community at risk. After all, if these "victims" never get tested, they never have to lie, right?

Quit switching the topic. He failed to disclosed before having UNPROTECTED sex. He plead GUILTY. He was found GUILTY.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 02:44:47 pm »
People were Quarantined during the TB epidemic in the 1940's and 50's until the disease was contained. In the late 70's and early 1980's if the government Quarantined people with the GAY CANCER as it was known at the time... they could have found out How it was being spread from one person to another ... Nothing is wrong with quarantining people with a disease when their looking for all factions of how, why, when etc... but, our Government sat back because it was effecting a certain (homosexual men) part of an unwanted population... Now its too late and now they know what causes hiv... etc...

on the sugect this DJ (23) was warned and given a probation period by the court... he broke his probation... so he should be sentenced in prison... period!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 02:45:23 pm »
  Actually since we are getting off topic now, spitting on someone is simple assault whether pos or not and you can be thrown in the slammer for doing so.  If you don't believe me google Larry Johnson.

I was actually not getting off topic, as the details of the unprotected sex were not made public. We can ASSUME unprotected anal sex took place, but this was nto made clear.

As for the spitting, I was directly referencing this:

http://www.poz.com/articles/spitting_hiv_sentence_1_14582.shtml

Which was covered on these forums in an Off-Topic thread.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 03:21:14 pm »
People were Quarantined during the TB epidemic in the 1940's and 50's until the disease was contained. In the late 70's and early 1980's if the government Quarantined people with the GAY CANCER as it was known at the time...

The absurdity of your argument is only compounded by your logic. For one they didn't even know what caused HIV in the late 70's and early 80's. Without a blood test I guess you're suggesting they should have rounded up every homo (including you) without even knowing what they were rounding them up for. Why (to use your terminology) would they have locked people up for cancer, gay or otherwise? Even way back when in the 70's people understood cancer wasn't a communicable disease. You do realize in order to implement your quarantine it would have been necessary to test the entire population, and seal the borders before throwing away the key.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 03:56:44 pm »
1985 was the year in testing for aids... and no I would not have been infected... and was not at this time. 1991... was the gift I recieved from my ex... Check out the history of the epidemic... this disease could have and should have been contained and controlled by the CDC (government) and it would have been so if it was afecting the whole population at a time... I was not a FAG in 1985...so there ya go...

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:19 pm »
1985 was the year in testing for aids... and no I would not have been infected... and was not at this time. 1991... was the gift I recieved from my ex... Check out the history of the epidemic... this disease could have and should have been contained and controlled by the CDC (government) and it would have been so if it was afecting the whole population at a time... I was not a FAG in 1985...so there ya go...

Ludicrous does not even come close to describing your thinking, and 1991 was a very dark year for FAGS worldwide. How sad for you.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 04:15:06 pm »
C) what, exactly, determines "unprotected sex" varies from location to location, often from judge to judge. To some, spitting is attempted murder. Others include kissing. To others, insertive oral sex or cunnilingus is considered a threat.

Until/unless the legal system establishes a science-based standard by which to judge these indiscretions, I will ALWAYS be against the criminalization of HIV. Particularly when seroconversion does not occur.

Since we cannot even find that science-based playing field on these very forums, I doubt seriously that the legal system will succeed.
Exactly!

In some locations, being HIV+ and giving a blow job is considered putting an individual at risk.  In other places, HIV+ folks cannot have sex protected or not, disclosure or no disclosure.  Some states do not allow HIV+ people to marry.  Imagine trying to enforce laws regarding murder and there not being a real definition of it.  Say the definition is sometimes that premeditated murder took place.  Another time, a driver runs a red light and is hit and killed by a truck.  And then an individual is charged with attempted murder after punching another during an argument.  These examples are exactly the varying degrees of definitions used to determine whether an individual exposed another to HIV. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:38 pm »

You know what?  I've had enough of your bullshit.  If no one else is going to, I'm reporting you for this offensive load of crap....but I imagine I'll just be one more voice in the choir.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 04:29:52 pm »
Report on... this was my opinion... Ive never seen so many people who are offended to someone elses views... there are too many nasty people on this site... I made my point you do not have to agree and its the end of story.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 04:38:09 pm »
Dixieman

Did you know in the mid-1980s, about 10,000 hemophiliacs were infected with HIV, and many of these passed the virus on to their wives/lovers who could then infect their children, about 5,000 people with hemophilia and HIV have died...would you have had them "ROUNDED" up and quarantined them also.

Thousands were infected when they were todlers and weren't actually diagnosed until they were young men, and many after they had become secxually active...and don't you dare tell me they must have all come from the gay community.

Rounding up and quarentining Gay men would not have stopped this pandemic..your posts regarding this is just pure rubbish.

Maybe it's just me but I find the word FAG insulting...just saying.

Jan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:45:03 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 04:40:45 pm »
Report on... this was my opinion... Ive never seen so many people who are offended to someone elses views... there are too many nasty people on this site... I made my point you do not have to agree and its the end of story.

Now here's my opinion. You want to hold everyone else (including your boyfriend) accountable, but not yourself. Obviously, being the AIDS historian that you are, you were aware of HIV transmission and you didn't practice safe sex. You took it up the pooper and now you're popping pills with the rest of us fairies. It's hard to call others out on their behavior when you did the same damn thing when YOU knew better.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 04:45:28 pm »
Exactly!

In some locations, being HIV+ and giving a blow job is considered putting an individual at risk.  In other places, HIV+ folks cannot have sex protected or not, disclosure or no disclosure.  Some states do not allow HIV+ people to marry.  Imagine trying to enforce laws regarding murder and there not being a real definition of it.  Say the definition is sometimes that premeditated murder took place.  Another time, a driver runs a red light and is hit and killed by a truck.  And then an individual is charged with attempted murder after punching another during an argument.  These examples are exactly the varying degrees of definitions used to determine whether an individual exposed another to HIV. 

There is not one state that prevents and HIV positive person from marrying in the US. geesh.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 04:53:53 pm »
can seem the easier and less complicated option.
it might be easier and less complicated; but it's not morally and, in some locales, not legally, right.

of course, I believe that both parties should be protective/responsible of their own health and well being; but when you are a carrier of this disease, knowingly exposing someone to this terminal disease just for your own sexual gratification without warning them sounds like a pretty immoral act in my book.

For one they didn't even know what caused HIV in the late 70's and early 80's.
as to quarantine, there is a time and place for a gov't to take that kind of action to protect the public. Back in the 80s when this idea was being taken semi-seriously, the transmission modes of this disease were not understood, so quarantine seemed like a viable option. If a true plague ever breaks out, we'll be happy that our gov't has the option to impose a quarantine - to not only protect the rest of the population; but hopefully to determine the exact transmission modes and affect a cure or vaccine.

Imagine if you will as an example, if next month an outbreak of ebola happened in "insert city name here". There would be a quarantine of that city; but not a nationwide, seal the borders, test everyone kind of situation. Now think back to when dozens of AIDS patients laid dying in hospitals in the mid to late 80s. (there's a thread around here recently, with a good look back at that time) Quarantining (since these "outbreaks" were in larger cities and not spread throughout the country) really wasn't that far-fetched of an idea to have had, seeing what was happening. For a while, it sure did look like a plague. Sometimes I do have to wonder how many of us would be here if something more had been done to "contain" the inital outbreaks; but the clash of an uncaring public ("it's just fags and addicts dying from it") with people who believed their lifestyle was being taken away ("you can't close the bath houses"), along with a sprinking of civil rights (anonymous testing) only led to spreading the disease further into the public.

B) with current standards of care, HIV is no longer nearly the same disease that it was twelve years ago.
the only reason that I have injected any of my thots into this discussion is because the underlying thought of this point. Although I will admit up front that AIDS is a more treatable disease today than it was just a decade ago, to insinuate that it is not still a terminal disease, and that people are not putting other people's lives in jeopardy by exposing them to this disease, is just plain wrong.

If you don't believe it's still a terminal illness, let's ask my partner. Oh that's right, we can't. Though always healthy as a horse, he suddenly became sick this past Feb, got a cancer and AIDS diagnosis in early Mar, and died on May 1st. Don't be tricked into thinking this is only a "chronic manageable" disease that someone might be spreading by having unprotected sex. Without a timely diagnosis and treatment, HIV is still a killer.

When I suggested the OP use this incident to take up one-to-one activism and education, it was because of my own sense of the danger of "catching" this illness. (and the OP seemed to have the same worries as he wondered what to tell who to help prevent the spread of this disease)  I only have to use my own story of being positive to show the dangers of this disease. Remember Randy? He died of AIDS. Remember Jim? He's dead from it too. Remember the two times I nearly died from AIDS when I was in the hospital with PCP? Do you want this kind of life? Well, then get tested, and protect yourself. And if you have it, for heaven's sake, don't pass it to anyone else!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline dixieman

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 05:03:44 pm »
Leatherman thanks... thats what I was trying to state... Quarantining at that time was a Viable option but, since it took hold of a group of people (homosexual men) the government did not care...

oh Dachsun... I had 4 hiv test with my partner given by a friend who was a doctor... at that time... we asked if we were Monogamous would it be ok not to use condoms... he the doctor said if we were monogamous there was no need to use condoms because we were both HIV-... well I did not trick around but, my partner did and he brought this DISEASE home to me... so I KICKED HIS ASS OUT... so theres your answer... What a nasty person you are... and I reported this to the monitor also... I have my own opinions and I can call myself a Fag if I want... annie

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »
Don't be tricked into thinking this is only a "chronic manageable" disease that someone might be spreading by having unprotected sex

I certainly hope that this was not directed at me. The most cursury glimpse at my posting history and blogging states that I find this disease far more dangerous than the "chronic, manageable" paradigm.

Particularly since, in August, I posted an entire blog from my hospital bed, struggling with PCP.

However, and those of us who have endured great loss are loathe to admit it, those diagnosed today, and early in the infection, stand a great chance of NEVER developing AIDS. That's the reality of the treatments, and the burden we LTS folks have to bear, often alone.

Today's HIV is not at all the same as the disease as we experienced it in the 1980's and 1990's.

For those who refuse to be tested and are not diagnosed until irreperable damage or life-threatening OI's manifest, it is often terminal. This is why education and prevention needs to include an emphasis on testing, knowing your status, and getting treatment early. The notion that one can "tell" another person's status, either through a conversation online or appearance, needs to be disproven.

Denial is deadly.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:19:20 pm by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 05:30:18 pm »
Leatherman thanks... thats what I was trying to state... Quarantining at that time was a Viable option but, since it took hold of a group of people (homosexual men) the government did not care...

oh Dachsun... I had 4 hiv test with my partner given by a friend who was a doctor... at that time... we asked if we were Monogamous would it be ok not to use condoms... he the doctor said if we were monogamous there was no need to use condoms because we were both HIV-... well I did not trick around but, my partner did and he brought this DISEASE home to me... so I KICKED HIS ASS OUT... so theres your answer... What a nasty person you are... and I reported this to the monitor also... I have my own opinions and I can call myself a Fag if I want... annie

whatever...but i'd certainly recommend you watch your little attitude when addressing the moderators of this site.  just sayin'.

and gee....you "weren't a FAG in 1985".  gosh - 1991 was certainly a marker year for you....you got infected with AIDS and "the gay" all at once, eh? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 05:32:52 pm »
If you are HIV positive there is no responsible reason for one not to disclose their status if they are going to have sex, protected or not. 

Huh?  If I slap on a condom you still think I need to put on a public parade of my Prezista capsules?  What's the point?  Now, if it's the 3rd date or something I can see the point, but you're living on a strange planet if you think everyone does this for a one night stand.  Really Rod, please have a sense of reality.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 05:35:42 pm »

I'm surprised none of the Moderators have picked this up

++

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 05:42:21 pm »
Huh?  If I slap on a condom you still think I need to put on a public parade of my Prezista capsules?  What's the point?  Now, if it's the 3rd date or something I can see the point, but you're living on a strange planet if you think everyone does this for a one night stand.  Really Rod, please have a sense of reality.

What is the difference between date one and date three? Date one is a trick and you don't care if the condom fails and they contract HIV? There is no difference between date one or three. They have the right to know.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 05:47:53 pm »

Maybe it's just me but I find the word FAG insulting...just saying.

Jan

there are too many nasty people on this site...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 05:49:38 pm »
What is the difference between date one and date three? Date one is a trick and you don't care if the condom fails and they contract HIV? There is no difference between date one or three. They have the right to know.

I've never had a condom fail, and I've had a LOT of sex. 

I don't tell my dates that I'm a nasty queen either, but I guess they have "a right to know".

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 06:04:14 pm »
indeedy indeedy, many post during my journey home...

People may remember this:

'Summers severely attacked his victim after the positive man told him that he was HIV positive. The men had met on Manchester's gay scene and gone to the HIV-positive man's flat for sex. When told about the HIV, Summers attacked him, "leaving his victim unconscious in his blood-spattered flat before taking property and driving off in his car." The HIV-positive man "suffered bleeding to his brain as a result of the beating and has been left with permanent disabilities..."' Okay he told him after (protected or unprotected) sex but what if he told him before? Given Summers' record, I doubt the outcome would be much different.

There are other less dramatic cases where disclosure has been before sex.

As one wise man said: "Do I risk getting beaten up by disclosing? Or do I risk getting criminally prosecuted if I just stay quiet?"

This also applies to women, eg a woman who got an unexpected HIV+ test as part of her pre-natal screening. Tis possible her husband, a very moral sounding religious man, was the source, but we'll never know, cos she was thrown out after a violent row when she told him - as she suspected she might be - some 2 to 3 weeks after her positive test. Other kids now in care. << somewhat shortened true story

Reason 1: safety of self or others

And: there's this kid, not quite 16, but definitely having/thinking about sex, who's mum is HIV+ and so's the kid, but mum hasn't told her kid, so she can't disclose. << this is a case study from a conference

Reason 2; you don't know

2 reasons it's not wrong not to disclose.

In NZ the law has decided using condoms removes the obligation to disclose, because the risk of harm is minimised.

So perhaps 3 reasons << I know this is debatable is some people's book but Hobbit land is not N Carolina eh?

Disclosure is a process and in itself, does not prevent risk of infection.

On the specific DJ case, he plea bargained, so who the fuck knows what really happened, whether he disclosed, used condoms or what? Or indeed whether his partners cared, understood the risk, accepted it, were stoned etc etc. Newspapers are dangerous. plus they put his charge sheet, part of his med records, face, address and house on TV. Under strap lines like PUBLIC HEALTH RISK.

People need to shape up, the criminal laws are the new frontline of activism. They don't stop HIV transmission. They just herd us into a reservation away from "normal" people. if we don't wanna be non-persons in 5 years time we need to get on the case. Just cos it's the law don't mean it's right. Before you know it we'll have to sit on the back of the bus.

To the quarantine advocates, you should be ashamed really.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 06:11:53 pm »
I usually just moderate the research and treatment forum, but none of the other moderators are available and we've received a number of reports on this thread. As my southern grandmother always said, "Y'all simmer down now! Ya hear?!"

There are a number of potentially flame-like, or at least "hot" ideas and statements being thrown around (the word "Fag," the notion of quarantines for HIV, transmission laws and the ethics of disclosure) and it would be great if people could take a deep breath and think about what they're posting.

First of all, the word "Fag" is an epithet, whether we like it or not. Some are sensitive about it's use, while others are less so. Regardless, please refrain from using the word here, if at all possible.

Secondly, quarantines are used for infectious diseases that are very easy to transmit. There are a LOT of diseases far more infectious than HIV that do not result in a quarantine, TB comes to mind. Ethicists, scientists and lawmakers are supposed to carefully balance civil liberties with the potential for societal harm and ease of disease transmission when considering a quarantine. Please try to be as reasoned and careful in your postings

There are some very bright and compassionate individuals who fall on both sides of the debate over the criminalization of HIV transmission and when a person should disclose their HIV status. It is an emotionally charged issue for good reason. While there have been very, very few individuals who have behaved in a cavalier and cruel fashion around their HIV (i.e. going so far as to lie about one's HIV status and having unprotected anal or vaginal sex with a person who is HIV-negative) there have been people who've fallen victim to such individuals. It is predominantly these kinds of cases that are pointed to by proponents of laws criminalizing failure to disclose. Unfortunately, such laws are sometimes taken out of context and used in extreme ways to penalize sexuality and homosexuality. Rather than descending into attacks on one another, please try to keep the conversation focused on the issues and try to remember that reasonable people can reasonably disagree about this issue.

Sincerely,
David

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 06:12:25 pm »

So perhaps 3 reasons << I know this is debatable is some people's book but Hobbit land is not N Carolina eh?

Yeah, that seems the basic theme going on in this thread, sadly.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
'Summers severely attacked his victim after the positive man told him that he was HIV positive... Okay he told him after (protected or unprotected) sex but what if he told him before? Given Summers' record, I doubt the outcome would be much different.

I think it may have made a difference. I know I would be more upset if someone told me they had herpes after we had sex than before. Put yourself in someone else's shoes. Wouldn't you want to know if someone had a sexually transmitted disease before you had sex with them?

Reason 2; you don't know

You can't very well disclose something you are unaware of.

In NZ the law has decided using condoms removes the obligation to disclose, because the risk of harm is minimised.

The case we are discussing is about failure to disclose and having unprotected sex. Although it would be best if every HIV+ person disclosed before having sex I think there are situations where disclosing is not necessary. However, when you are HIV+ and you know you are HIV+ you have an obligation not to spread the virus by having unprotected sex with people who are negative or who don't know their status.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »
There is not one state that prevents and HIV positive person from marrying in the US. geesh.

Rodney, please tell me you'll admit when you're wrong: 

Okla. Stat. tit. 63, § 1-519 Felony

It is a felony for any person, after becoming infected with a venereal disease and before being pronounced cured by a physician in writing, to marry any other person or to expose any other person by the act of copulation or sexual intercourse to such venereal disease or to liability to contract the venereal disease. (“Venereal disease” is defined to include diseases which may be transmitted from one person to another through or by means of sexual intercourse and found and declared by medical science or accredited schools of medicine to be infectious or contagious, § 1-517.)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2008, 10:53:37 pm »

Was the DJ about to get married?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:44 pm »

Rodney, please tell me you'll admit when you're wrong: 

Okla. Stat. tit. 63, § 1-519 Felony

It is a felony for any person, after becoming infected with a venereal disease and before being pronounced cured by a physician in writing, to marry any other person or to expose any other person by the act of copulation or sexual intercourse to such venereal disease or to liability to contract the venereal disease. (“Venereal disease” is defined to include diseases which may be transmitted from one person to another through or by means of sexual intercourse and found and declared by medical science or accredited schools of medicine to be infectious or contagious, § 1-517.)

David how did you get that little squiggly thing before 1-517? I don't see it on my keyboard

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:26 pm »
Venereal disease” is defined to include diseases which may be transmitted from one person to another through or by means of sexual intercourse and found and declared by medical science or accredited schools of medicine to be infectious or contagious. HIV is not only transmitted via sexual intercourse. It's transmitted by IV drug abusers that share works. Mother to child. Occupational exposures. So that law has it's own loop holes.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2008, 11:00:18 pm »

Was the DJ about to get married?

Maybe in another state.  So far, here in NC, he'd just be shackin' up.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2008, 11:06:27 pm »
Maybe in another state.  So far, here in NC, he'd just be shackin' up.

He was having unprotected sex without disclosure of his status. Plus violating his probation.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2008, 11:08:49 pm »
He was having unprotected sex without disclosure of his status. Plus violating his probation.

Um... I was joking with Tom.   ::)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline newt

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 03:51:46 am »
I think it may have made a difference.

How much difference? The difference between just roughing him up a bit, brain damage and a wheelchair after being left for dead, llike the guy Summers hit on, or, like my neighbour, nearly losing his left eye.

Plus the other guy, the one who gave the 23 year old an STI, possibly just by going down on him, where's he in the courtroom? Clearly, he was not up for discussing his sexual history before sex. Maybe he's one of the closet case married men who post on craiglist and the like. Or maybe he was a regular fuckbuddy who's also HIV+. No-one knows. We just have the charge as put forward by N Carolina, which, as he's on probation for having "unprotected sex" (does that include oral? yes, guess so) is a dead cert gulity plea.

Offline newt

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2008, 03:57:06 am »
Yes, gotta love N Carolina:

North Carolina man gets nine months for HIV exposure

"In late July or early August, the victim said she learned from a friend of Johnson's that he was HIV-positive. When she confronted him, he admitted it.

"The woman said that when she asked Johnson why he didn't tell her, Johnson replied, "I really love you and I didn't want to lose you."

"The woman said she continued having sex with Johnson after learning of his condition, but it was protected sex.

"The relationship ended in November, when Johnson was arrested following a domestic altercation with the victim. The woman did not contract the virus." (Free-Lance Star, march 2008)

Gotcha!

HIV exposure laws are really dumb.

- matt

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:50 am »
Yes, gotta love N Carolina:

North Carolina man gets nine months for HIV exposure

"In late July or early August, the victim said she learned from a friend of Johnson's that he was HIV-positive. When she confronted him, he admitted it.

"The woman said that when she asked Johnson why he didn't tell her, Johnson replied, "I really love you and I didn't want to lose you."

"The woman said she continued having sex with Johnson after learning of his condition, but it was protected sex.

"The relationship ended in November, when Johnson was arrested following a domestic altercation with the victim. The woman did not contract the virus." (Free-Lance Star, march 2008)

Gotcha!

HIV exposure laws are really dumb.

- matt

NC uses Public Health Care Laws not state statutes when it comes to infectious diseases.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2008, 08:19:51 am »
Hi All,

Just in general I want to join in support of David's levelheaded and cautionary words here. Every single time this subject has come up it has provoked very strong to incendiary exchanges. It's a powerhouse subject that in one way or another has touched everyone of our lives. 

We've had a raft of reports to the moderators on this thread by those who have been disturbed by some of the remarks. I don't want to see anyone get a time out over this.

Please think before posting about whether what you want to say is actually advancing the conversation or whether it's potentially just another lighted match in a gasoline can.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:27 am »
NC uses Public Health Care Laws not state statutes when it comes to infectious diseases.

NC then parades the HIV+ pariah on the nightly television news, including pictures of the victim and close ups of his arrest warrant showing all relevant personal information.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/3388423/

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2008, 08:27:27 am »
Oh, I thought some of you might enjoy this link -- though perhaps it's been brought up previously and I just missed it:

http://criminalhivtransmission.blogspot.com/

About this blog

This blog focuses on prosecutions for sexual exposure to, or transmission of, HIV around the world.

Like UNAIDS and many other experts in this area, I am opposed to such prosecutions unless it can be proved beyond any doubt that transmission actually occurred and that it was intentional. Such cases will be extremely rare when sex has been consensual.

If anyone knows of cases not reported here, or has material they would like to share, please contact me.

To add further information or insight into any of the cases here please comment on the story. Please note, I will not publish comments that I consider to be offensive, libellous or potentially prejudicial to the case.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
NC then parades the HIV+ pariah on the nightly television news, including pictures of the victim and close ups of his arrest warrant showing all relevant personal information.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/3388423/

That is absolutely disgusting.  I now know PRECISELY an address for this man....as does anyone else who has seen this link the world over.  There is no excuse for displaying the information the way they did. 

PS:  I sent them a nasty letter. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:06:20 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
That is absolutely disgusting.  I now know PRECISELY an address for this man....as does anyone else who has seen this link the world over.  There is no excuse for displaying the information the way they did. 

PS:  I sent them a nasty letter. 

Anyone that wanted a copy of the court records that was shown can pay and get a copy of them and on them, their phone numbers and address will not be redacted. So anyone can get his address. Anyone can pay and get copies of anyone’s trial transcripts as long as they are not minors. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2008, 01:13:19 pm »
Anyone that wanted a copy of the court records that was shown can pay and get a copy of them and on them, their phone numbers and address will not be redacted. So anyone can get his address. Anyone can pay and get copies of anyone’s trial transcripts as long as they are not minors. 

Oh yeah, Rod.  No difference at all there between having to pay and secure own's own copy and broadcasting them world wide to anyone and everyone with a computer or a television set.  No difference at all.

You really take the cake.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2008, 01:15:40 pm »
Rod, please halt these disingenuous postings. 

Best regards,

Philicia Legendaria, IV

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:19 pm »

That news station definitely was out of bounds for flashing his address for the world to see.  While I don't agree with his actions, of which this very article that Philly posted stated he fully admits to both not disclosing and not using condoms, the news station definitely abused their power of the Freedom of Information Act on this one.

I actually wonder if his very  lawyer is doing her job correctly and or even cares..

Privacy Act of 1974 states:

No agency shall disclose any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any person, or to another agency, except pursuant to a written request by, or with the prior written consent of, the individual to whom the record pertains

I doubt seriously he signed off to have his address posted on TV.

Edited to add:  I wonder if he has a case now....

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:16 pm »
I love the fact that the story involves having the court closed while filming the procedings to have the court closed. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2008, 02:13:20 pm »
I certainly hope that this was not directed at me. ... Particularly since, in August, I posted an entire blog from my hospital bed, struggling with PCP.
What a small world it is sometimes  ;D In 1998, I got my own domain (named after my old pet store "It's Reigning Pets") and started my blog (http://reigningpages.comleatherman) as I was recovering from my first bout of PCP. By posting pix and stories from my life, it kept my family in NC informed that I wasn't dying up here in Ohio. ;) Little did I know it when I started it that I'd go on to post about another hospitalization (I had a laptop with me in the hospital that time; but I was so close to almost dying, I didn't have the strength to do much blogging until I got back home ;) ), a ton of meds and crappy side effects over the years, and now 14 yrs. later, the death of another partner.

Today's HIV is not at all the same as the disease as we experienced it in the 1980's and 1990's.
I agree whole-heartedly with you, that it's early detection AND treatment that enables this illness to now be viewed as more "chronic and manageable". But it is the SAME disease. Only the treatment has changed. When/if a person passes this infection on to someone else, they are still passing on the same terminal disease that it's always been. If a timely diagnosis isn't made, or treatment isn't started in time, or if there isn't access to the meds, or if access to meds is lost (by losing insurance, gov't social program cuts, etc), then the infected person is doomed.

For me, that's the crux of this issue. Knowing you're positive and having unprotected sex, you risk passing along a terminal illness (most people are counseled on that aspect of this when diagnosed) - and all for nothing more than one person's sexual satisfaction. Not disclosing (giving the other person a chance to "opt out" of the risky encounter) seems to only add culpabliity.

This guy in NC, after already having gone to court, where I'm assuming transmission modes and the consequences of someone becoming infected were discussed by the lawyers, has continued his confessed dangerous behaviour without regard to those he may be infecting with a terminal disease. As Queen mentioned, I'm surprised that attempted murder wasn't a charge; though it does sound like NC is trying to do something to stop a potential "typhoid mary".
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2008, 02:57:55 pm »
Oh yeah, Rod.  No difference at all there between having to pay and secure own's own copy and broadcasting them world wide to anyone and everyone with a computer or a television set.  No difference at all.

You really take the cake.

You blaming me? I just told you where the information can be obtained. It's Public Records..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
Rod, please halt these disingenuous postings. 

Best regards,

Philicia Legendaria, IV

Excuse me, Disingenuous postings?  Go to your Clerk of courts and see if you can't get a copy of someone's trial. Look up the Public Records Act., each state has one.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2008, 05:08:46 pm »

You blaming me? I just told you where the information can be obtained. It's Public Records..

I'm blaming you for trying to excuse away this world-wide broadcasting of this guy's personal information.  It is a far cry from paying and procuring this information personallly than it is to plaster it world-wide for anyone and everyone to see.  I am well aware that information like this can be obtained...that is NOT the same thing as spreading it the world over - and you damn well know it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2008, 05:16:34 pm »

the only reason that I have injected any of my thots into this discussion is because the underlying thought of this point. Although I will admit up front that AIDS is a more treatable disease today than it was just a decade ago, to insinuate that it is not still a terminal disease, and that people are not putting other people's lives in jeopardy by exposing them to this disease, is just plain wrong.

If you don't believe it's still a terminal illness, let's ask my partner. Oh that's right, we can't. Though always healthy as a horse, he suddenly became sick this past Feb, got a cancer and AIDS diagnosis in early Mar, and died on May 1st. Don't be tricked into thinking this is only a "chronic manageable" disease that someone might be spreading by having unprotected sex. Without a timely diagnosis and treatment, HIV is still a killer.

When I suggested the OP use this incident to take up one-to-one activism and education, it was because of my own sense of the danger of "catching" this illness. (and the OP seemed to have the same worries as he wondered what to tell who to help prevent the spread of this disease)  I only have to use my own story of being positive to show the dangers of this disease. Remember Randy? He died of AIDS. Remember Jim? He's dead from it too. Remember the two times I nearly died from AIDS when I was in the hospital with PCP? Do you want this kind of life? Well, then get tested, and protect yourself. And if you have it, for heaven's sake, don't pass it to anyone else!

Which, pardon me for asking, but it does beg the question:  How exactly did HIV and AIDS just kinda "sneak up" on old Jim there?  I mean - here you were...with one partner aready in the ground from this.  Did it never occur to Jim to, ya know...GET AN HIV TEST?  Not once?  Did it not occur to you to perhaps push the issue, given your previous loss?  If this was explained somewhere in that mammoth thread and I missed it, I apologize.  I didn't see it.  But if we're so intent on painting this DJ kid here as such a "typhoid Mary", and for quarantines as a not-so-bad idea, I just couldn't help that it did come to mind above when reading all this...just how did AIDS sneak up on someone like Jim?  If I was in that situation, I would have made routine testing mandatory out of common sense.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.