Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:04:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 448
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: worried I gave my partner HIV  (Read 1819 times)

Offline purplepozzie

worried I gave my partner HIV
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:06 pm »
Hi. I recently started having a sexual relationship with a long time friend. I was completely honest about being hiv positive. Before we decided to engage in sexual behaviors we talked about it, we also did research together regarding possible risks. First time he went down on me. We did not have vaginal sex. Weeks went by and we had vaginal sex with a condom. I get a text from him the same night we had sex stating that he never told me but he had been feeling sick along wwith numbing and tingling in his hands and feet. I'm terrified that I could have infected him. I'm a long term hiv poz (born positive) and this has never happened before with past partners. I bought him an oraquick test which was negative. He's really angry with me as if I hid this from him him which I did not. Should I be so worried?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: worried I gave my partner HIV
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »
Hello Purple,

You have not put your partner at risk, either through oral sex or protected intercourse.  The only caution I might offer is, depending upon where you live, to check and see if there are any laws regarding disclosing your status.  You have not done anything that puts him at risk at all.

Specifically, regarding HIV transmission, doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself.  The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It is a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage HIV.

HIV is a very fragile virus - literally.  Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface.  Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. HIV can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having HIV present in the first place.  The female secretion where HIV has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid.  This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening.  We have yet to discover one shred of evidence that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more HIV present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears.  Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it.  Once the results of the serodiscordant studies started rolling in, what we know about HIV transmission on the cellular level was validated.  The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.  Period.  One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples.

I hope this helps and welcome to the forums.

Joe

Offline purplepozzie

Re: worried I gave my partner HIV
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:09:17 am »
Thank you so much for the reply. I feel much more at ease now.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.