Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:30:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 287
Total: 288

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WishI found POZ when first diagnosed  (Read 9242 times)

Offline ?

WishI found POZ when first diagnosed
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:57:18 am »
   I've been poz for a year and one half. I wish I had gotten some advise from this site, although reading all this great info makes me wonder why I have so much trouble getting help? Apparently I had the disease for about 6 years before being diagnosed-as poz. I was getting sick for over a year but had no insurance so by the time I went to the hospital I was in rough shape,after a nice two week stay in the hospital I was given a list of places to go to get help with doc's and meds.I was on the border of AIDS. I was scared for me and my wife. Who eventually got tested and was - { THANK GOD!}.So anyway the list they gave me was totally useless.Well any way after six months of no work and no money{still not able to work}. I'm tottally screwed now.I've been on medicaid and it's been one big pain in the ass after another.Sorry to ramble but I can"t tell anyone out of respect to my wife of 28 years.Well Medicaid didn't pay one of my bills and the only ID doc in town refused to see me my last appointment I hve six months to hit medicaid and then I'm hoping things get better.So who helps the poorer people deal wth the massive expense dealing with all this? Lower middle class income people just over the poverty limits and lower class income people who have nothing.I know a lot of money goes to prevention and research. So I guess I want to know why there is no type of grants for peple living with this terrible disease? It would seem to me that some body would have filled this void.

Offline dusty99

Re: WishI found POZ when first diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
I certainly feel for you, however; I couldn't even begin to tell you where to look, other than if you ever served for more than 2 years in the Military and were honorably discharged, you do have that, I know this because that is how I am being treated. I certainly understand the financial thing, as I am very near your situation at the moment, I have not been sick, but I made drastic changes in my life and financially I am in deep. Sorry to hear about the list of places that are supposed to be there to help you were not. Hopefully someone who would know more about help agencies will come along shortly to advise you. The only other thing I could add is check into the local Aids Service Organization (I think that is what they are called) and see if they may be able to guide you a little better.

D
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:15:57 pm »
"?" -- if you'd state in your profile or this thread where you live perhaps you'll find someone close by that can give you some recommendations about where to seek help.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ?

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:22:50 pm »
  I am still learning how to communcate by cumputor. I only e-mail and read normally but I am in SouthFla. PBC

Thank You

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:45:47 pm »
I just noticed you are in Florida, check out Aids Healthcare Foundation...http://www.aidshealth.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=715&Itemid=267, the Florida office locations are located futher down the page at the link.

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:57:33 pm »
In regards to dealing with AHF, just give them a call at 24 Hour Customer Service: 800-832-0778.
You will also see things that refer to Positive Healthcare...this is also part of AHF.

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:43:23 pm »
if you ever served for more than 2 years in the Military and were honorably discharged, you do have that, I know this because that is how I am being treated. D

WOW.  I don't mean to but in here but please elaborate on this.  I was in the volunteer Army from 1979-1982 active duty and then in the inactive reserves for severeal more years. No war time service involved and I was honarbly discharged. Are you saying that I have some VA benefit I am unaware of if I need it?

Thanks.

David

Offline dusty99

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:12:58 pm »
WOW.  I don't mean to but in here but please elaborate on this.  I was in the volunteer Army from 1979-1982 active duty and then in the inactive reserves for severeal more years. No war time service involved and I was honarbly discharged. Are you saying that I have some VA benefit I am unaware of if I need it?

Thanks.

David

That is how I understand it, that if you served the minimum term, then yes, you do have that available. You would need to check with the VA as to the specifics, but that was the general statement made to me when I went in and spoke to them, as I didn't realize that I had those benefits available to me. I was talking to another vet friend that I worked with, and he said "You did 9 years,why aren't you using your VA benefit?" the co-pay is just $15 per visit, (billed to you later) and $50 per special item, i.e. X-rays and such. I forget what the hospital stay amount is, but it is much less than you would have otherwise. there is no cost split after the $15 or $50 items, such as 80/20% with most insurances. I did serve during war, but that doesn't matter as far as the benefit is concerned. You should be entitled to it.
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 12:57:51 am »
Thanks.  I'll keep it in mind. I do have coverage now through my employer and I will see what else I can find out/

David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.