Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:02:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 215
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To the Immunologist I did go  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
To the Immunologist I did go
« on: September 15, 2006, 03:49:09 am »
. . . and I'm not entirely sure why.

After sitting for three hours in the waiting room of the University Clinic at Westmead Hospital, your blotchy correspondent was ushered into the august presence of one Dr David Andrew Fulcher.

Yup, that's right "Fulcher". Even ManchesterUK should be able to work out what fun MtD has been having with that name. ;)

Anyhoo, an extraordinarily insulting conversation with The Fulcher ensued. It went, in part, something like this.

Doc: So how did you contract HIV, drug use?
MtD: No.
Doc: From being gay?
MtD: No. I contracted HIV because I had unprotected anal sex with other men.
Doc: So you don't identify as gay?
MtD: Where did you get your qualifications? The Port Moresby Upstairs Medical College and Nail Care Institute?

You get the idea. Matty the Damned is not rude to medical and nursing staff as a rule. Just when they ask stupid fucking questions. You may be assured Gentle Reader that I was quite rude throughout the consultation. Eventually, I was ordered to strip naked and assume the position. Much painful manipulation and prodding followed. Then The Fulcher  examined me. ;D After this a formal diagnosis was made.

I have Henoch-Schoenlein's Disease aka Henoch-Shoenlein's Purpura. It's an anaphylatic vasculitis, typified by the sort of rash I've described previously, swollen, painful joints, myalgia, oral and anal lesions. It's usually a disease of children which resolves without treatment. In adults it's slightly more serious. Apparently I have blood in my urine, which means I've developed HSD with renal complications.

If anyone has a spare kidney, I may be calling on you in the future.

Two further biopsies were taken from my leg by The Fulcher's smug registrar whom I have designated Intelligent Asian Youth. I've been placed on a course of corticosteroids, namely prednisolone. I've been warned that the side effects can include mood swings, mania and aggression. So nothing out of the ordinary there.

Naturally, The Fulcher couldn't resist the opportunity to lecture me about the need to take HAART. My reasons for not wanting to take HAART were summarily dismissed. He granted me a futher audience with his Exalted Medical Self on the 25th September.

We shall see.

MtD
(Who is rapidly getting over this)

Offline poobear

Re: To the Immunologist I did go
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:20:56 am »
HI Matty,
    Glad to hear you know whats going on.  Sorry to hear that it is somewhat serious.  (I know nothing of what doc told you)  but am glad it can be treated.  So does this mean you are gonna have more mood swings than what you have?  well matty welcome to PMS  Did he at least give you some good pain meds?  Well I hope you feel better soon.  With Much Love Rachel  ;Dl

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 04:30:50 am »
Hi Matty

Well at least now they have a diagnosis they can work with, and the corticosteroids should help relieve the pain.

If they are worried about the renal complications then I hope they are doing regular urine tests on you..and if you find you are having a low output of urine, (you may not notice this for a few days)  then please go and see your Doctor ASAP.

I hate that you are going through this...sending you warm hugs from NZ.

Love
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:58:19 am »

Doc: So how did you contract HIV, drug use?
MtD: No.
Doc: From being gay?
MtD: No. I contracted HIV because I had unprotected anal sex with other men.
Doc: So you don't identify as gay?

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o Let's hope that is the last absurd question that exits the Fulcher's mouth! temporary insanity we can call it, or temporary substandard bedside manner. Well, the bright side is, you have a plan now. LOVE AND STRENGTH, Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:38:52 am »
Stupid questions? Why was he asking them in the first place? Like he needs to know in order to treat you? Voyeristic bastard. I hope you told him to Fulch off.

Ann
(who hates ignorant doctors more than anything)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 06:37:56 am »
My dear little purple Poo. I will immediately begin harvesting the kidneys of the unsuspecting. I will store them in my freezer until you need them...if you don't need them I can always feed them to my pooch. For God's sake don't lose an eye...I have a small fridge.

Later,
AD

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:47:31 am »
I find that many, if not all, doctors ask me that question:  "How did you contract HIV?"

I believe they want to be sure what avenue to approach when dealing with you as a patient.  For example, if you contracted the virus by means of drug use, then he will know that he's got to be careful what to prescribe, especially if you are a habitual user or have the chance of develop dependencies.

However, that line of questioning from this particular doctor is a bit... rude. 

I'm happy that you know exactly what is going on with you Matty.  Hopefully the treatment doesn't take too long and that you are on the road to recovery.

And don't worry about the prednisolone... I've taken them twice before (had Bell's Palsy twice... imagine that!) and I didn't notice any side effects.  How long do you have to take them? A week? Or did he put you on a longer regime with it?
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 07:06:35 am »
I have had three drs. and only the first one, asked how I got HIV. From a toilet seat of course.
I have been in three drug trials and in every one I get asked that question and makes you wonder,what is the purpose? How does how someone got hiv affect the treatment one receives?
I was in stuck in a hospital for two days after a really bad rotator cuff surgery and on the last day my nurse asked me "how did someone like you get hiv".  A hit my morphine pump a couple of times, they had already cut me off, and answered, "same way as everyone else".

Offline Bartro

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 07:36:56 am »
On my initial exam the doc asked how many sex partners I'd had in my life of forty some years.  Luckily I had my score card with me....
Rusty

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 07:51:33 am »
I find that many, if not all, doctors ask me that question:  "How did you contract HIV?"

I believe they want to be sure what avenue to approach when dealing with you as a patient.  For example, if you contracted the virus by means of drug use, then he will know that he's got to be careful what to prescribe, especially if you are a habitual user or have the chance of develop dependencies.

Naw, that don't wash with me. A person could have been infected through intercourse yet still have a drug habit. It's really none of their damn business how a patient got infected. If the patient feels the need to share that information, fair enough. But a doctor has no right to ask what amounts to intimate details of a person's life. If they want to know if the patient uses drugs, they should ask "do you use drugs", not "how did you get infected". It's just boorish, insensitive, voyeuristic bullshit. Pure and simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maestro

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 08:52:52 am »
Naw, that don't wash with me. A person could have been infected through intercourse yet still have a drug habit. It's really none of their damn business how a patient got infected. If the patient feels the need to share that information, fair enough. But a doctor has no right to ask what amounts to intimate details of a person's life. If they want to know if the patient uses drugs, they should ask "do you use drugs", not "how did you get infected". It's just boorish, insensitive, voyeuristic bullshit. Pure and simple.

Ann

Ann,

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, so please don't take it this (great start to a post, huh?).  But, how else are medical officials supposed to collect statistics.  When I teach my class about HIV, I use stats from various places about % of people that contract HIV from various ways.  If the doctor is just asking because he is nosy, that is one thing.  But if they are anonymously reporting it to collect stats to help fight this, then isn't that another story?

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 08:57:11 am »
M,

Normally, that sort of information is collected when a person is first diagnosed. I'm not speaking of that particular situation, but of all the times we get asked afterwards. No need for it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 09:08:37 am »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:28:53 pm by Iggy »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 09:18:06 am »
M,

Normally, that sort of information is collected when a person is first diagnosed. I'm not speaking of that particular situation, but of all the times we get asked afterwards. No need for it.

Ann

OK.  That makes sense Ann.  Thanks for clearing it up.

M

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 09:30:42 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:58:05 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 09:39:34 am »
OK.  Fair enough.  But do you think the doctor is intentionally being insensitive?  I mean if I come in to the office with a large cut on my arm, it doesn't really matter how I got it, just treat it.  But you can  bet the dr. is going to ask how I got cut.  I think it is part of the nature of being a doctor. 

Of course, I cannot speak for all doctors.  And I certainly was not disagreeing with Ann, just asking a question.

M

Offline Teresa

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 09:46:46 am »
Matty,

So glad that they figured out what you have and that it can be treated. Hope you get better real soon!

Sending you good thoughts and still have you in my prayers.

Hugs
Teresa

Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Biggums

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 10:01:46 am »
GET BETTER YOU OLD PERV  !  I MEAN IT
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2006, 10:06:17 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:57:33 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 10:11:21 am »
Hi Matty,

I'm also glad you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan from Der Fuhrer or whatever his/her name is. (At some point you might ask him how he contracted insensitivity/disrespect. Whatever).

Prednisone is very powerful stuff as I think you aleady know. That business of "mood swings, mania and aggression" are right on the mark from my experience with an ex who was on it for a long time. Also some tendency towards retention of water as I recall and puffiness of face because of same.

As you have aptly noted the mood swings, etc. might be something you won't put any attention to, (or might even enjoy), but if you start more than 100 new threads about AM2 within an hour I can tell you that Ann & I are gonna put a restraining outfit on you. Or maybe not. You'd probably like that too, you Tasmanian devil!

Here's hoping the med does the job. xoxoxo

Andy Velez

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2006, 10:12:18 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:57:03 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 10:16:04 am »
Matty - No kidneys left, but I have an M-16... :'(

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2006, 10:33:55 am »
Who cares what some doctor said to Matty? And no, this is not the time for everyone to share their own anecdotes of "bad" doctor visits...we have all been there, please spare us. Rejoice in the fact that Mr. D went to the doctor at all...relish in a diagnosis with side effects that could include, mania, aggression and mood swings. Why the entertainment value alone should be worth a couple hundred posts. Especially since mean ol' Andy put a stop to the AMG soap opera, "Gays Of Our Lives."

I'm glad my boy went to the doctor....Christians beware!

Offline Christine

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2006, 11:56:24 am »
Hi Matty,
I am glad you have a working diagnosis. I agree with Ann, Dr. Fulcher can go and Fulch off....

Hope your feeling better soon.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 12:18:47 pm »
Eventually, I was ordered to strip naked and assume the position. Much painful manipulation and prodding followed.

Is this when I happened to text you, by any chance? :o

If anyone has a spare kidney, I may be calling on you in the future.

Sorry hon, no kidney…but I’ve a chicken fillet in the fridge. Will that do? ;D

I've been placed on a course of corticosteroids, namely prednisolone. I've been warned that the side effects can include mood swings, mania and aggression.

OK I'm actually thinking of going to Spain or somewhere else instead of Sydney... ::)

He granted me a futher audience with his Exalted Medical Self on the 25th September.

Yey! So you'll be getting naked and prodded in celebration of my birthday! ;)

The Magical Melia :-*
(who understood nada of the medical terms but wishes Mattymoo all better very very quickly)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 12:29:51 pm »
THANK GOD YOU WENT TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!

Fulch...Yes, what  Fulcher to ask for how you got HIV...And that gay insistence...Fool

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006, 01:29:22 am »
Matty, what an interesting conversation you and your Doctor had.

Have the BEST Day! and get well!

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2006, 08:00:42 am »
I wish I had been there.  This really deserves a book. An appearance on Opra...?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2006, 08:30:03 am »

SOLIDARNOSC

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2006, 10:34:02 am »
Matty,

Well, at least you know what you're dealing with. At least you're not dealing with the "guessing game" that has been going on recently.

What can I say, except:

((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2006, 01:31:19 pm »
Yup, that's right "Fulcher". Even ManchesterUK should be able to work out what fun MtD has been having with that name. ;)

I actually didn't know why that name was strange.  After a little research I found out and now I feel sick!

Chris
(who has probably led a sheltered life)

Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »
"Much painful manipulation and prodding followed. Then The Fulcher  examined me."

ROFLMAO.

Notch in bedpost = notch in bedpost + 1.  ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2006, 09:14:22 pm »
I think the steroids are working. The swelling has abated and the rash seems to fading. It matches my new uniform of sackcloth and ashes. The arthritis continues, but Frau Eva says that's to be expected.

Which is nice. :)

MtD

Offline Eldon

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2006, 09:19:51 pm »
Hello Matty,

It is good news to hear that things are working for you. Continue to get well.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2006, 09:50:11 pm »
Matty,

So glad to hear that your better!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 11:02:48 pm »
Thanks guys. And I'm a bit speedy. I think the steroids are sending me hyper. I'm so buzzy I could just shit!

;D

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2006, 11:08:57 pm »
Welcome back my little sinner.

AD

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 11:11:22 pm »
GO matty, go!!!!

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 11:33:39 pm »
so this too will pass is what your saying right?i hope i understood you correctly.hope you get better soon.and you brought up a similar thought i had before,"is there a place where hiv infected people can get a donated body part from another hiv infected person,i know they dont let us donate,why not to help out one of our fellow sufferers,where it wouldnt matter if you have a replacement part from another infecter person?take care

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2006, 12:13:18 am »
Welcome back my little sinner.

AD

Shhhh! The Hall Monitors might hear us! ;)

MtD

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2006, 12:50:47 am »
Hey Babybear..

big woofs and furry hugs as always.

xxx

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2006, 10:43:08 am »
He's BACK!  Matty i am glad they have diagnosed whats wrong with you PHYSICALLY!

Paging Dr. Freud, Dr. Skinner and Dr. Spock to Sydney STAT!

Now if we can just figure out that OTHER nasty virus!  Oh, and of course your mental state!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.