Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:54:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What movie picks you up out of the dumps??  (Read 35688 times)

Offline Ac75088

What movie picks you up out of the dumps??
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »
Whenever I need a picker upper, I watch the Back To The Future trilogy..I'll always LOVE those movies and I watched them today since I was off work and it just puts me in a great mood

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: What movie picks you up out of the dumps??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:48 pm »
Steel Magnolias -- love that movie.  Yeah, yeah, Julia Roberts dies, boo hoo, cry me a river.  Olympia Dukakis and Shirley Maclaine are just hilarious throughout........

Mike

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:38 pm »
RENT
Torch Song Trilogy
Moulin Rouge
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »
Steel Magnolias -- love that movie.  Yeah, yeah, Julia Roberts dies, boo hoo, cry me a river.  Olympia Dukakis and Shirley Maclaine are just hilarious throughout........

Mike

HIT WEEZER!!! Lol

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »
Anything with Sissy Spacek in it works for me  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »
Anything with Sissy Spacek in it works for me  ;)

I watched Carrie last week denb45!! My fav Sissy Spacek movie

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:59 pm »
Little Shop of Horrors (the musical)
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
 ;D  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »
When I am unhappy I watch both The Wedding Planner and Bridget Jone's Diary back to back, preferably twice. Then if I'm still despondent I watch Failure to Launch and 27 Dresses.

ps: I'd like to dedicate this post to Rev. Moon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:00:00 pm »
Then if I'm still despondent I watch Failure to Launch

SO Im guessing you watch that just for Matthew? Cause the storyline leaves me despondent.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »

Funny, my department director asked me the other day what was my favorite movie and without hesitation, I told her "The Wizard of Oz".  The movie has been my favorite since I was 9 years old and 50 years later it still is.

:D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:01:54 am »
When I am unhappy I watch both The Wedding Planner and Bridget Jone's Diary back to back, preferably twice. Then if I'm still despondent I watch Failure to Launch and 27 Dresses.

ps: I'd like to dedicate this post to Rev. Moon.

Gurl, you're killing me.  Totes. 

With the exception of BJ's Diary (part one, obvi --the second one was just ok), that list is like totally catered to some of these other girls.  You missed some major "classics" like Eat, Pray, Love (horrible adaptation of a not so bad book), The Back-up Plan, Maid in Manhattan, and Fool's Gold.  Miss Lopez and la Hudson specialize in making truly shitty flicks (with the exception of Almost Famous and The Skeleton Key in Hawn Jr.'s case).

SO Im guessing you watch that just for Matthew? Cause the storyline leaves me despondent.

Eww, I despise Matthew McConaughey.  Overrated, not that sexy, and can't really act.  He really thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. 

Now, two movies that I watch whenever I'm feeling kinda low are Working Girl and Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I have seen both a few times :P.  And I confess that I watched While You Were Sleeping a couple of days ago.  Not really as good as I remembered it, but it has its charm.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 01:16:20 am »
You missed some major "classics" like Eat, Pray, Love (horrible adaptation of a not so bad book), The Back-up Plan, Maid in Manhattan, and Fool's Gold.  Miss Lopez and la Hudson specialize in making truly shitty flicks (with the exception of Almost Famous and The Skeleton Key in Hawn Jr.'s case).

EPL is simply awful, isn't it? Like intolerably so, with the exception of when Javier appears at the end.

Ah yes -- but the joys of Maid in Manhattan. How dare you.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 01:36:49 am »
EPL is simply awful, isn't it? Like intolerably so, with the exception of when Javier appears at the end.

Ah yes -- but the joys of Maid in Manhattan. How dare you.

EPL has like every imaginable cliche.  I was appalled to see Julia Roberts and Viola Davis lending their talents to such an awful piece of crap.  Mr. Penélope Cruz is the only good thing in that dreadful wreck.  I however hated the repeated use of Bebel Gilberto's music whenever he was on screen (like, really?  I love me some Bebel, but couldn't they at least use something less populachero?). 

I didn't like MIM.  I felt that Lopez and Fiennes are not good match and the story was just meh.  When it comes to Cinderella stories I'd rather watch Ever After with my girl Drew.

Watching Ghost World as I type this entry (and since I'm probably gonna be up till 3 or 4, I will follow it with Slaves of New York).  Now that's some good shit.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 01:42:08 am »
I will follow it with Slaves of New York).  Now that's some good shit.

Loved the book, recall being disappointed in the movie. I don't think I've seen it since it came out. Weren't you still in diapers then?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 02:16:54 am »
Loved the book, recall being disappointed in the movie. I don't think I've seen it since it came out. Weren't you still in diapers then?

I believe that I read the book when I was about thirteen (circa 1989).  The movie came out around the same time.  You probably didn't like it as much cause it is not a "good" movie per se.  It's one of those cult classics that gets better with time, kinda like Parker Posey's Party Girl (which I totally adore) and the infamous Showgirls.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 07:00:04 am »
Whenever I need a picker upper, I watch the Back To The Future trilogy..I'll always LOVE those movies and I watched them today since I was off work and it just puts me in a great mood

THUMBS UP! I love it. The third one is least good.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 07:59:46 am »
Some Like it Hot
Sabrina
The Witches
Showgirls
Coffy
Mommie Dearest
Baby Jane
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Car Wash
A Summer Place
Imitation of Life
Parent Trap
Nutty Professor (either one)
Pillow Talk
What's up Doc?
Midnight
It Happened one Night
The Women
Devil is a Woman
The Gang's All Here
Bringing up Baby
La Cage aux folles
Trois hommes et un couffin
Drole de drame
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Armacord
Arsenic and Old Lace
Murder by Death
Young Frankenstein
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 11:18:38 am »

The Women

Hopefully the original and not that debacle with La Mendes and some blow-up doll passing as Meg Ryan, right?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:01 am »
Victim starring Dirk Bogarde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlLnrhzU_E

Made in 1959 but released in 1961 this flick always puts things in their proper perspective.

MtD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 11:34:44 am »
Victim starring Dirk Bogarde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYlLnrhzU_E

Made in 1959 but released in 1961 this flick always puts things in their proper perspective.

MtD

Great choice. That film was way ahead of its time. 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 11:41:26 am »

Great choice. That film was way ahead of its time.

It was, wasn't it?

Sure there were all those German dyke films of the 20s and 30s but in the English speaking world nothing had the impact of Victim.

Bogarde always described Victim as "the most important film I made."

I cannot recommend Victim highly enough. It lays the ground work for Jarman, Waters and Van Sant.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 11:42:04 am »
Fuck that. I demand vapidity.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

OEMGEE, like totes.  I plan to watch Crossroads (just to see Britney's great performance, obvi) some time this weekend.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:21 am »

Your wish is my command. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztntoC7st6E

Now shut your filthy cock-holster.

MtD

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »
In no particular order, but since Matty mentioned the genius of...

http://youtu.be/fwtbY9zfOMA

http://youtu.be/jM1A1ytl-3Q

http://youtu.be/Lt2FzvTkteQ

I remember we used to do poppers watching these movies back in the day.  Wonder if that's how I got teh AIDS  ???
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »
Movies never pick me up out of the dumps . I have to take drugs or drink alcohol for that , sometime both  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

I remember we used to do poppers watching these movies back in the day.  Wonder if that's how I got teh AIDS  ???

What are poppers? is that what they used to smell into some kinda bottle, I never tried them before if that is what they are  :-[
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »
are you being serious?

Offline denb45

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 01:18:52 pm »
What are poppers? is that what they used to smell into some kinda bottle, I never tried them before if that is what they are  :-[

Think of poppers as chemical shoe horn for your asshole .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 01:21:51 pm »
Think of poppers as chemical shoe horn for your asshole .

umm ok whatever you say  ;D

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Miss Philicia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 02:20:27 pm »
Faces of Death.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 03:32:19 pm »
yes  :-[

This is simply imposible.  You have not lived.

Offline denb45

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »
Not impossible for me Rev. as I was never in to any inhalants for any reason  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:45 pm »
Then never claim to having been an Old School Disco Queen. You probably aren't familiar with ethyl either.

Offline denb45

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 04:08:23 pm »
Then never claim to having been an Old School Disco Queen. You probably aren't familiar with ethyl either.

Wut is  ethyl  do I need to goggle this  :o

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »
ethyl is this stuff that comes in a spray can -- hence the necessary hankie in the back pocket. You sprayed the ethyl on the hankie and breathed in, and it was like breathing in something cold like ice and then all you can hear is the thumping bass of the music for about 10 seconds.

Offline denb45

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:39 pm »
ethyl is this stuff that comes in a spray can -- hence the necessary hankie in the back pocket. You sprayed the ethyl on the hankie and breathed in, and it was like breathing in something cold like ice and then all you can hear is the thumping bass of the music for about 10 seconds.

Why on earth would anyone want to do this sure doesn't sound like something I'd even like  ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:01 pm »
Why on earth would anyone want to do this sure doesn't sound like something I'd even like  ::)

Well, go on with your big bad self Glen Coco.

Offline denb45

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:26 pm »
Well, go on with your big bad self Glen Coco.

Ok, who the hell is Glen Coco, should I goggle this as well  ???

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 04:28:28 pm »
Ok, who the hell is Glen Coco, should I goggle this as well  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwnZmYuyXKI

Offline denb45

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwnZmYuyXKI

Oh now you've really LOST ME here, I watched it, but sorry I just couldn't get any of it  :-[

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 05:08:27 pm »
Oh now you've really LOST ME here, I watched it, but sorry I just couldn't get any of it  :-[

Get up to speed!! Or have your queer card revoked.

http://youtu.be/9YUaQGEQ8-Q
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline drewm

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 05:10:25 pm »
Bareback Heat
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 05:23:19 pm »
Get up to speed!! Or have your queer card revoked.

http://youtu.be/9YUaQGEQ8-Q

YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!

Offline denb45

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »
Brokeback Mountain  ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:50 pm »
Anything with Chris Farley, preferably Tommy Boy.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:36 am »
How does everyone feel about Thelma and Louise? I totally just watched it lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.