Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Herpes2 and HIV  (Read 11697 times)

Offline Jojo90222

Herpes2 and HIV
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:24 pm »
Dear anyone,

I have had a sexual encounter with a girl from Thailand. About 1 week later, I developed itchy skin all over my body, but mainly at my hands. During this period of time, I had frequent urination which were dark yellowish although I drank more water than I usually do. Also, I experienced pulsing in my nerves, for instance an electric-like feeling through my hands which were definitely often but not continuos..

2 weeks later, my body's itchiness continued and I notice small clusters of lumps appearing at the tip of my inner foreskin.. I went to the dr and was diagnose with HSV2.. During this period of time as well, I was put on medications (Zithromax, Acyclovir, Anti-fungal cream) which led me to have continuos diarrhea for a week untill the medications were finished. There were times where I could sratch my skin and a couple of bumps will appear and disappear after a short while. I heard that this are not symptoms of an ARS rash?. I had a weird feeling in my esophagus but never had any sort of pain in my throat. I did follow up with 2 drs to check for swollen glands which both said nonexistent. Besides myalgia, malaise and mild fatique, I did not notice any other problems at this moment.

I am now coming to 10 weeks after the exposure. Everything seems fine with me now. No nightsweats, no flu, no fever, no lymph nodes throughout the entire duration since exposure. I am however, concerned about the fact that I may have acquired HIV because I did acquired Herpes through this incident. Unprotected oral, protected vagina sex. Herpes outbreak at the location the condom was supposed to be protected. No breakage, no slippage and no condom failure.. I am 100% sure I had 0 STDs before this act as I am not sexually active and tested negative for all STDs 5 days after this exposure.

Now, what are my risk given the fact of my acquired HSV2 and symptoms prior to the outbreak. Frequent and dark coloured urination, itchyness and electric-like feeling in my nerves, muscle pain and all the rest I experience weren't normal. Could it be associated with the Herpes or could it have been HIV? I am preparing for a test on the 12th week but I am in deep fear. Help me, and I will be thankful for all advised given to me. I have assurance from 2 drs that it is very unlikely I caught HIV through this incident. Assurance from the girl herself 3 times that she does not have HIV also (could mean nothing at all). I still have contact with her as she gave me her phone number in Thailand.

Thank you.
A depressed young man.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Herpes2 and HIV
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:58:32 pm »
From what I gather you're saying you had protected sex (either vaginal) with a sex worker. Following that encounter you developed genital herpes which has been confirmed by a doctor. It seems that the doctor also treated you presumptively for other STDs (hence the Zithromax).

Firstly we need to separate the HIV from the herpes simplex infection. Herpes simplex is a highly contagious very common virus which is much easier to transmit than HIV. It is spread through skin to skin contact and the lesions do not need to be present for transmission to happen.

It is quite possible that you contracted genital herpes as a result of the unprotected oral sex.

HIV, on the other hand, is a fragile virus which is not easily transmitted. If you used a condom correctly (which would seem to be so given you say it didn't fail) then you will not have been infected with HIV. Also HIV is not transmitted to the receptive partner during oral sex.

If you decide to test at 12/13 weeks for HIV, I feel confident that you will test negative.

You are focussing on symptoms - which are notoriously unreliable indicators of HIV infection, rather you need to pay attention to risk behaviours. I would think your diarrhoea was side effect of the Zithromax. It is known for causing tummy upsets. Your other symptoms (tingling itchy skin etc) are not HIV related.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:36 am »
Thx for the reply, I am concern because of 1 thing during the act..

I did not ejaculate in her. Instead, I removed my erected penis and while the condom was still on, she oraled me for a few secs. She then removed the condom and continued to oral me unprotected till i came in her mouth... This is when I could have contracted herpes, but is  this also a means to transmit HIV? her mouth could have some vagina fluid since she oraled me with the condom on and continued without?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:11:05 am »
As you were told in another forum you were never at risk at contracting HIV from oral sex.

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:24:52 am »
If really I was at a no risk situation, should I even bother to test? Can I continue my life like a normal person from now on? I feel completely normal now, 10 weeks after exposure.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:49:44 am »
Only if you use condoms. ALWAYS.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:07:58 am »
Jojo,

What concerns me about your initial paragraph is that it makes me think hepatitis A or B, which are both endemic in SE Asia. (and it may not have even been from this woman you were with) You might want to get that checked out.

As for testing, we recommend that anyone who is sexually active should have a full STI check-up, including hiv, at least once a year and more often if unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse occurs. It's not just women in Thailand who may have hiv or STIs, women anywhere can have it, even in your home town. Nothing you did in Thailand was a risk for hiv infection, so unless you've been having unprotected intercourse you've not told us about, you can fully expect any hiv test to return a negative result.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:09:53 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:27:31 am »
Dear Ann,

Thx for your reply.. The complete test I did 5 days after the exposure showed negative for HBV antigen, but also negative for immunisation. Since then I've been advised and already taken 2 out of 3 of the necessary vaccination for Hep B. I have had Hep A vaccine when i was very young.. I did question my Dr about possible Hepatits A infection but he ruled it out because I do not have jaundice. I'm not sure about Hepatitis B if there is a window period?

I did not have any other sex prior to this incident since I broke up with my long term relationship with my GF a year ago.. She was a virgin like I was and I'm sure, infact very sure that she is not a carrier of any sort of STD/STI. 5 years relation with no signs of STD or weird feelings.. I havent had sex prior to this encounter for 11months.

I will expect a negative HIV test, and hope for the best.. I deeply appreciate your insight into my case and thank you for your comment.. I just hope that the 1st paragraph symptom was in no way related to HIV but maybe to my recently acquired herpes.. During the act i was actually very certain that I did not come into contact with her vagina fluid except my fingers when i fingered her. Even my penis nvr touch her vagina without the condom. That is why I'm extremely puzzled by the herpes outbreak and since have fear for HIV.

Thanks,
A depressed young man

My apologies for that sentence, edited.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:55:09 am by Jojo90222 »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:48:11 am »
Hi Jojo,

Ann raises an excellent point about Hepatitis and I apologise for missing it earlier. Even if you had been exposed to HBV in Thailand you would not have tested positive 5 days after the exposure. The window period for HBV can be long as 26 weeks, though the usual time to seroconversion is 8-12 weeks.

Please be aware that HBV testing is much more complicated that HIV testing and you should work closely with your doctor to ensure that you get this resolved. It's good that you've started a course of vaccinations for HBV. You should know that HBV vaccinations will not have any effect on your HIV test results, or on the accuracy of your HBV tests either.

One other thing, regarding your ex-girlfriend you say:

She was a virgin like I was and I'm sure, infact very sure that she is a clean girl

Please don't use terms like "clean" when you talk about HIV. It suggests that those of us who have HIV are in some way dirty and that can be very hurtful. I'm sure you didn't mean any offense but I would ask that you be more thoughtful in the future.

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:15:04 am »
I forgot to mention that I did a CBC 40 days (~6weeks) after exposure because I was having anxiety issues and also a general feeling of being unwell during that time.

My WBC were all at a very good level. 8.3 (4.0-11)
I particularly paid attention to Lymph counts. 27% 2.2 (1-4)
Platlets count stood nicely at 287 (150-450)
Can I use this result as a good indication about my situation? I know not conclusive, but at least some indications for a piece of mind before my actual HIV test in 2 weeks?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:17:19 am »
No JoJo, a Complete Blood Count (CBC) is not an indicator of HIV status. Many people with HIV have normal CBC results.

The only definitive indicator of HIV status is an HIV test taken at the appropriate time after a risk exposure. As we've explained, you were not at risk of HIV infection from your encounter in Thailand.

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:31:03 am »
One last thing to add, 1 week after the herpes outbreak. I did complain about yellowish urination and the Dr. proceeded with a urinary test.. Said that my urine was infected (UTI) and put me on Amoxycilin. Hopefully nothing serious from this also. Maybe, just maybe.... my body was detoxicating the Zithromax/Acyclovir medications..

Thx matty. I've faith in all the advise given to me. If anyone has any further advise or comments on my case, please do leave a message.. I think my Dr was looking for any acute signs as he asked me to return to his clinic once every week since the 3rd till the 6th week after the blood test was done.. No reasons given to me but I guess it was just to monitor my overall condition.. In the last visit, all he said was very unlikely I had acquired HIV. Nevertheless he insist I come back for a test after 3 months.

Thanks for all the insights. Appreciated. God bless (Matty, Rod(Teak?) and Ann).

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 07:37:08 am »
Well Jojo it sounds like your doctor is doing a very good job. If you have a yellowish discharge from your penis, then a course of amoxycillin (as well as Zithromax) is standard procedure.

If your doctor thinks you should have an HIV test at 12 weeks, then have the test. As your doctor has noted (and we've agreed) you will almost certainly test negative for HIV. You've been treated for other STDs so that's under control.

I really think you should be focussing on the HBV situation. Make sure your doctor performs the full range of tests for HBV up to 26 weeks.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:32 am »
Yeap he did ask me to go back in July, which would be close to 1 month after the 3rd injection for the HBV vaccine. Should be to test and screen for vaccine (antibodies?) and also the virus itself.. Based on calculations, it would be ~30+ weeks since exposure.. He wants to be sure that the vaccine is working and that everything is fine.. Just that, my mind is just thinking solely on the scare of HIV.. Infact he did mention if I would like to take the HIV test 2gether with the HBV screening to reduce the amount of poking I will get and that it wasn't a rush to do the HIV testing... But hmm, my anxiety level isn't coping very well.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 08:43:48 am »
Jojo,

I know this is difficult for you but you need to pay attention to our advice.

1. You were not at risk of being infected with HIV. Any test you have will be for peace of mind. You only have about two weeks to wait before you can have an HIV test which will deliver a clear result. That result will be negative.

2. Some of the things you talk about suggest that you may have been exposed to HBV. HBV is very different to HIV and the testing process is much more complicated. You may have to wait for up to 26 weeks to have a clear result regarding your HBV status. Please ask your doctor about this.

3. If you are having trouble coping with the stress of this situation you should ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist. We cannot provide that sort of support here.

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
I will head your advise.  :)

Thx for your time reading my all my post.. You have put my mind much at ease.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:19 am »
I'm glad we've been able to help you Jojo.

Best wishes,

MtD

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 07:04:33 am »
Hi again,

Matty, Ann or anyone.. I know this is an HIV forum, but can I get some info about Hepatitis B/C. Recalling some "symptoms" that took place which I had initially thought was insignificant, does Hepatitis B/C causes dehydration?

In my CBC, I was only looking at the WBC before this, but when I took another look, I realized that my RBC is significantly high at  6.7 (above the max normal range 6.5). I tried to look for reasons for this and found out that it could be due to dehydration as well. Is this information true?

Also there was one day I woke up from bed with a swollen finger middle finger. Just 1 finger but I did not pay much attention to it as later on the same day the swelling disappear. Yet again another dehydration problem? Everything seems to point to Hepatitis now and the reason for my dark color urination, itchy body has actually stopped since I felt my body goes somewhat "redder" easily when I scratch.

Yet again, no flu-like symptoms, no fever, no nightsweats, no rashes.. But I did have muscle ache, bone pain and malaise. I know that something is not right with me, just..... I don't know what.. Thx in advance for any comments.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:04 am »
This is an HIV specific forum. You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV. You'll need to find another forum for your HBV and HCV guestions or work with your doctor.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 08:43:28 am »
Not only is this an HIV-specific site, we absolutely cannot diagnose any symptoms in this setting. For your concerns you ought to be talking with your doctor and not just surfing around on the net trying to find an explanation for what is worrying you.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 08:46:34 am »
Jojo,

I don't know where you get the idea that a RBC of 6.7 is "significantly high", it's not. Not by a long shot.

I doubt very much that you're suffering from dehydration. If dehydration is going to make any part of your body swell, it would be your tongue, not your finger.

As Rodney mentioned, this is an hiv specific website. We've given you all the information on hepatitis we can. If you need more information, speak to your doctor.

Again, you have not had a risk for hiv infection. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 09:20:52 am »
Ok, thx for all the info..

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:48 pm »
tested at 74 (~11 weeks) days post exposure
HIV I & II ELISA AB - NONREACTIVE
Hepatitis B Antigen  - NONREACTIVE
Hepatitis B Antibody - > 120 (Considered Immune) !
I only took 2/3 so far.. How come considered Immuned?
VDRL                     - NONREACTIVE

Is this conclusive enough? Thx for advise

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:15 pm »
You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV to begin with. It's no suprise that you received a negative result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 08:39:01 am »
Is your result conclusive enough? For whom? We never thought you had a risk to begin with or that testing was needed. 

You're HIV negative. Be glad and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Jojo90222

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 09:42:08 am »
Hi once again,

Just came back to post that I did a 7months EIA test after the incident. Negative.

Thanks for all the support previously.. I appreciate all of you here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:42 am »
Jojo,

Well, that's the sort of result you get when you had NO RISK to begin with.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.